Bogie56

Your Favourite Performances from 1930 to present are...

5,489 posts in this topic

1930-1931 Best Actor

Edward G. Robinson, Little Caesar*  X (31)

James Cagney,  The Public Enemy  X (31)

Charles Chaplin, City Lights  X (31)

Fredric March, The Royal Family of Broadway

Adolphe Menjou, The Front Page  X (31)

Bogie, I've always thought of Little Caesar as a 1930 film (which, of course, as far as production is concerned, it was) but since I now see that IMBd lists it as a January '31 release, I have replaced Edward G. Robinson in my 1930 best actor list with another performer.

There are a number of films from 1930 that I am now looking forward to seeing for the first time ...

Doorway to Hell with James Cagney

Holiday with Ann Harding and Mary Astor

Journey's End with David Manners

King of Jazz with Bing Crosby

Ladies of Leisure with Barbara Stanwyck

Madam Satan with Roland Young

New Moon with Lawrence Tibbett

Raffles with Ronald Colman and Kay Francis

Sinner's Holiday with James Cagney

and I will have to watch Murder! again and look for Esme Percy

• Like 4

There are a number of films from 1930 that I am now looking forward to seeing for the first time ...

Doorway to Hell with James Cagney

Holiday with Ann Harding and Mary Astor

Journey's End with David Manners

King of Jazz with Bing Crosby

Ladies of Leisure with Barbara Stanwyck

Madam Satan with Roland Young

New Moon with Lawrence Tibbett

Raffles with Ronald Colman and Kay Francis

Sinner's Holiday with James Cagney

and I will have to watch Murder! again and look for Esme Percy

DOORWAY TO HELL is also interesting as it features Lew Ayres as a gangster tough guy!

• Like 2

Here are my choices of the 24 films I've seen from 1930 for...

BEST ACTRESS of 1930

1.  GRETA GARBO (Anna “Christie” Christopherson), Anna Christie

2.  NORMA SHEARER (Jerry Martin) The Divorcee

3.  MARIE DRESSLER (Min Divot), Min and Bill

4.  MARLENE DIETRICH (Lola Frohlich/“Lola Lola”), The Blue Angel

5.  INA CLAIRE (Julia Cavendish), The Royal Family of Broadway

6.  MARLENE DIETRICH (Amy Jolly), Morocco

7.  POLA ILLERY (Pola), Under the Roofs of Paris

8.  FAY WRAY (Marie Gardoni), Behind the Make-Up

• Like 3

I seem to remember watching a movie called "The Silver Cord' on TCM maybe 30 years ago and haven't seen listed since then.  It was an amazing film and (disturbing) subject matter for the 30's.  Anyone else see this movie and comments?

I saw THE SILVER CORD many years ago on TV. The play and the subsequent movie were among the most prominent of the domineering mother drama. Laura Hope Crews, best remembered as Aunt Pittypat in GWTW, played a very different kind of character as the mother. Irene Dunne is the young woman who has to fight her for the heart and soul and even the life of the man she loves.

Miss Crews will be on my list of contenders for Best Supporting Actress when we get to 1933.

I haven't seen THE ROYAL FAMILY OF BROADWAY, but Ina Claire was a big star on Broadway, especially in drawing-room comedies.

• Like 2

1930 Favorite Films

L’Age d’Or

All Quiet on the Western Front

Animal Crackers

The Blue Angel

Monte Carlo

Morocco

I just realized that I misunderstood this thread. It's about performances, not movies, right? So my list is incorrect, unless I specify an actor in each film? Sorry -- I'm a bit thick, and I'm finding this complicated!

Edited by Swithin
  • Like 1

1930 Favorite Films

L’Age d’Or

Animal Crackers

The Blue Angel

Monte Carlo

Morocco

I just realized that I misunderstood this thread. It's about performances, not movies, right? So my list is incorrect, unless I specify an actor in each film? Sorry -- I'm a bit thick, and I'm finding this complicated!

Swithin, a good idea might be to select a performance from each of those films that you really like.

Like this actor from L'Age d'Or, clearly in the throes of his passion over finger food:

a213aa8e-2fc6-4c7b-9a04-e3178190b12a_zps

Err, then again, maybe it's not such a good idea.

• Like 3

1930 Favorite Films

L’Age d’Or

Animal Crackers

The Blue Angel

Monte Carlo

Morocco

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you will see that Bogie will change the calendar year in the title of the thread once a week.  We are looking at our Oscar choices for each calendar year during the time that the Academy did not have a single year but instead handed awards over a two year period.  Bogie said that we don't have to list only the same number that can be nominated in each category, but the idea was to pick a winner and somehow point that out. And  that is for best picture, director, actor, actress, best supporting actor, best supporting actress etc.

For me, I listed only my winning choice for Best Picture and Best director.

On Sunday - at least that will be seven days from the first post in this thread - Bogie will switch to 1931 calendar year movies.

Does this help?

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you will see that Bogie will change the calendar year in the title of the thread once a week.  We are looking at our Oscar choices for each calendar year during the time that the Academy did not have a single year but instead handed awards over a two year period.  Bogie said that we don't have to list only the same number that can be nominated in each category, but the idea was to pick a winner and somehow point that out. And  that is for best picture, director, actor, actress, best supporting actor, best supporting actress etc.

On Sunday - at least that will be seven days from the first post in this thread - Bogie will switch to 1931 calendar year movies.

Does this help?

Actually, he's just looking for your favorite performances from each year in 5 categories.  Best Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, and Juvenile. We're going one year a week. This is the first week, so it's 1930. You're supposed to name your fave performances for each category, indicating your favorite if you wish. Name as many or as few as you want. Much like the old Top Ten Films... thread, the overall purpose is to discover new titles that others may mention that you may not be aware of, to add to your "to see" lists. You have a full week to make your choices, and they can be spread out throughout the week. So if you want to just list Best Actor choices one day, and Actresses two days later, that's fine. Or all in one day, whatever.

Bogie is listing the Oscar nominees and winners much in the same way I listed the 1001 Movies entries, to contrast with what we as viewers choose.

• Like 2

Actually, he's just looking for your favorite performances from each year in 5 categories.  Best Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, and Juvenile. We're going one year a week. This is the first week, so it's 1930. You're supposed to name your fave performances for each category, indicating your favorite if you wish. Name as many or as few as you want. Much like the old Top Ten Films... thread, the overall purpose is to discover new titles that others may mention that you may not be aware of, to add to your "to see" lists. You have a full week to make your choices, and they can be spread out throughout the week. So if you want to just list Best Actor choices one day, and Actresses two days later, that's fine. Or all in one day, whatever.

Bogie is listing the Oscar nominees and winners much in the same way I listed the 1001 Movies entries, to contrast with what we as viewers choose.

Thanks Lawrence.  This is exactly right.  We have only just finished your great Top Ten Films thread so no need to repeat all that and it is still there if anyone wants to refresh their memory of their own choices or whatever.

Just a note first.  In my film world I include established comedy teams when considering best performances.

Here are my choices of the 24 films I've seen from 1930 for...

BEST ACTOR of 1930

1.  EMIL JANNINGS (Professor Immanuel Rath), The Blue Angel

2.  THE MARX BROTHERS: Groucho (Capt. Jeffrey T. [the ‘T’ stands for Edgar] Spaulding),                    

Chico (Signor Emanuel Ravelli), Harpo (“The Professor”) and Zeppo (Horatio Jamison), 

Animal Crackers

3.  BUSTER KEATON (Elmer), Dough Boys

4.  WALLACE BEERY ("Machine Gun" Butch Schmidt), The Big House

5.  FREDRIC MARCH (Tony Cavendish), The Royal Family of Broadway

6.  CHESTER MORRIS (John Morgan), The Big House

7.  LEW AYRES (Paul Baumer), All Quiet on the Western Front

8.  WALLACE BEERY (Bill), Min and Bill

9.  GUSTAV DIESSL (Karl), Westfront 1918

10. GARY COOPER (Legionnaire Tom Brown), Morocco

and....

CHESTER MORRIS (Ted), The Divorcee

ALBERT PREJEAN (Albert), Under the Roofs of Paris

WALTER HUSTON (Abraham Lincoln), Abraham Lincoln

• Like 3

Does this help?

I think what confuses me are the Oscar listings, which bulk up the thread. I now get the gist, but I will forego looking at the Oscar lists. I'll remind myself of each year's films and actors the same way I did for Lawrence's thread.

• Like 1

Okay.  But I wanted to list my favourite film and director, which I did, at least for 1930-

All Quiet on the Western Front lives on in my mind whenever I think of war films.

Thanks Lawrence.  This is exactly right.  We have only just finished your great Top Ten Films thread so no need to repeat all that and it is still there if anyone wants to refresh their memory of their own choices or whatever.

Ah, you see I joined just in late January, and I think Lawrence was finished that thread by then, at least I did not read it.

Ah, you see I joined just in late January, and I think Lawrence was finished that thread by then, at least I did not read it.

I'm sure you could still add all of your best picture choices to that thread if you wanted to and people would see them.  It is not locked any longer.

• Like 1

I've made it easier on myself for 1931 coming up by checking out the 1931 in films page on Wikipedia to determine which movies I've seen were actually released in that year before Bogie changes  the year and written it down on a separate piece of paper.

I'm having trouble locating candidates for best supporting actor for some of the years in the 1930s, and will be interested to see the ones the rest of you come up with. 1931 is one of those years.

It was surprising to learn that Marie Dressler was a big box-office star in these pre-Code years. She died not long after DINNER AT EIGHT was made. She got top billing, above Barrymore, Harlow, and Beery. I can't think of another woman of her age and body type who was such a big star at that age.

Something else unusual about the early 1930s: I grew up thinking male movie stars were guys like Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Brando, James Dean, etc. You don't find that many handsome leading men in the early 30s. It's easy to see why Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, and Cary Grant rose so quickly in this era. They didn't have much competition. The early 30s have quite a few guys who are basically character actors who can carry a movie in a leading role: Wallace Beery, Cagney, Edward G. Robinson, for instance. Paul Muni actually had enough looks and sex appeal to be a leading man, but as a serious actor did not want to go in that direction. Spencer Tracy is just good-looking enough to play some romantic leads, but when's he cast with Gable, Gable gets the girl.

The 1930s was a great time for leading ladies, but they may be playing opposite someone like John Boles or David Manners or guys whose names you can't even remember. George Brent would never have had as big a career in any other era. The type of actor the 30s had and we do not have is the suave, sophisticated man like William Powell, Ronald Colman, and John Barrymore. This was an image that women liked and that men wanted to be like.

• Like 3

I'm having trouble locating candidates for best supporting actor for some of the years in the 1930s, and will be interested to see the ones the rest of you come up with. 1931 is one of those years.

It was surprising to learn that Marie Dressler was a big box-office star in these pre-Code years. She died not long after DINNER AT EIGHT was made. She got top billing, above Barrymore, Harlow, and Beery. I can't think of another woman of her age and body type who was such a big star at that age.

Something else unusual about the early 1930s: I grew up thinking male movie stars were guys like Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Brando, James Dean, etc. You don't find that many handsome leading men in the early 30s. It's easy to see why Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, and Cary Grant rose so quickly in this era. They didn't have much competition. The early 30s have quite a few guys who are basically character actors who can carry a movie in a leading role: Wallace Beery, Cagney, Edward G. Robinson, for instance. Paul Muni actually had enough looks and sex appeal to be a leading man, but as a serious actor did not want to go in that direction. Spencer Tracy is just good-looking enough to play some romantic leads, but when's he cast with Gable, Gable gets the girl.

The 1930s was a great time for leading ladies, but they may be playing opposite someone like John Boles or David Manners or guys whose names you can't even remember. George Brent would never have had as big a career in any other era. The type of actor the 30s had and we do not have is the suave, sophisticated man like William Powell, Ronald Colman, and John Barrymore. This was an image that women liked and that men wanted to be like.

I agree with you about Marie Dressler.

As far as the handsomeness of the leading men, yes it easy to see how Grant and Gable became sex symbols. 

Robert Montgomery was very handsome and became one of biggest stars in MGM in large part because he and Norma Shearer had great on screen chemistry and she asked for him specifically in several movies.  Sometimes he got the girl, sometimes he was the other man, but he became a big star.  He would go on to serious roles and directing.  You may remember that his name appeared above that of John Wayne in We Were Expendable.  His daughter used to be referred to as Robert Montgomery's daughter.  She knew she made it when he started to be referred to as Elizabeth Montgomery's father.

There are people who you understand right away why they became movie stars in ways that you can put into words.

And then there are men like Humphrey Bogart.

I do wish there were more suave and sophisticated leading men today than there are. 

I feel like I am more on solid ground for 1931 than I did for 1930.  I've seen a larger number of movies, for one.  And the individual performances of the smaller roles are more memorable to me.  For example, I have seen more than one child star performance which I think is worthy of a Juvenile award.

I've also not seen many films from 1930, so I'm just going to give the award to Dorothy Lee for Half Shot at Sunrise and call it a year.

-Oh, and her parents, George MacFarlane and Edna May Oliver, get supporting merits.

(I couldn't decide whether it was more unfair to give the Best Actor award to all three leading Marx brothers or the leading puppet from The Tale of the Fox. It remains unassigned.)

• Like 4

KING RAT:

If you are wondering what makes a performance a SUPPORTING performance, try looking at the term "supporting" as a third-named or after actor or actress or after that but still bigger than a cameo.  Think about the movies you have enjoyed and if any of the non-leads stand out in your memory, even if the name of the performer is unknown to you.

If you think of performers in that way, you can then look up the movie in which the performer appears in imdb or Wikipedia for the name of the actor or actress if she or he is a "famous nameless face."

Does this help?

Personally, I would not use billing to determine what is a supporting performance.  Richard Burton's performance in My Cousin Rachel was by no means supporting.

I look at a couple of things: screen time and who's story is it?  The other thing is sometimes you may want to consider a leading female role as well as the leading male role in a film.  They are not always equal to each other but could both be considered leads.

And I don't think one should disclude a performance because it is too small.  If someone can catch your imagination in just two minutes of screen time I would think that is worth a mention as a supporting role.

• Like 1

It’s time for 1931

Here are Oscar’s choices for 1930-1931 and 1931-1932.  Winners in bold.  Remember, the Oscars did not have supporting awards this year.  We can correct that with all of your choices.  I have put ‘X’s’ beside the non 1931 films.

I am not listing the Oscar choices in order to debate them.  Agree, or disagree with them the films themselves are worth looking at hence my listing them.

1930-1931 Oscars

Best Actor

Lionel Barrymore, A Free Soul*  

Jackie Cooper, Skippy   

Richard Dix, Cimarron   

Fredric March, The Royal Family of Broadway  

Adolphe Menjou, The Front Page   

Best Actress

Marie Dressler, Min and Bill*  X (30)

Marlene Dietrich, Morocco  X (30)

Irene Dunne, Cimarron   

Ann Harding, Holiday    X (30)

Norma Shearer, A Free Soul 

1931-1932 Oscars

Best Actor

Wallace Beery, The Champ*

Fredric March, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde*

Alfred Lunt, The Guardsman 

Best Actress

Helen Hayes, The Sin of Madelon Claudet*

Marie Dressler, Emma   X (32)

Lynn Fontaine, The Guardsman

• Like 1

My choice for the Juvenile Acting award for 1931 is Jackie Cooper.

As ‘Dink Purcell’ in The Champ and as ‘Skippy Skinner’ in Skippy.

• Like 2