Sign in to follow this  
IanPatrickMovieReviews

"The Shopworn Angel" 1938 Video Movie Review - 4 Star Movie

12 posts in this topic

Of all their movie collaborations, which one do you like best?

Don't you think they're all equally good in their own way, Ray...? Though the first one, made at Universal, is the least known because it never plays on TCM.

Don't you think they're all equally good in their own way, Ray...? Though the first one, made at Universal, is the least known because it never plays on TCM.

Jarrod, I'm ashamed to admit that I only know "The Mortal Storm" and "The Shop; Around The Corner".

Jarrod, I'm ashamed to admit that I only know "The Mortal Storm" and "The Shop; Around The Corner".

Yeah, that's why we sometimes have to seek out what TCM does not broadcast. It's called NEXT TIME WE LOVE. For more, check wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Time_We_Love

It was written by Preston Sturges and costars Ray Milland. 

• Like 1

I love the young Jimmy Stewart at MGM.

Watching him in "Born To Dance" recently, I couldn't believe it - there he was, singing and dancing.

His film career at MGM was so promising.

• Like 2

Watching him in "Born To Dance" recently, I couldn't believe it - there he was, singing and dancing.

Honestly, I'm surprised he went back to movies after the war. He seemed to love flying and life in the military. His career (and life) took several interesting turns.

• Like 1

Well this is a case where I feel the opposite;   Early MGM Stewart was just too wimpy -  too country boy soap.    

Of course there are some early pre-WWII films of his I like but the work he did after the war was much stronger IMO.

• Like 2

Well this is a case where I feel the opposite;   Early MGM Stewart was just too wimpy -  too country boy soap.    

Of course there are some early pre-WWII films of his I like but the work he did after the war was much stronger IMO.

As a youngster at MGM, he had so much charm - and genuine charm isn't that easy to achieve on the screen.

But, I agree with you, I also like his later work, too

As a youngster at MGM, he had so much charm - and genuine charm isn't that easy to achieve on the screen.

But, I agree with you, I also like his later work, too

All his early stuff was not at MGM however.

He was loaned to Universal for the first picture he did with Margaret Sullavan. And he was also loaned to Selznick to do MADE FOR EACH OTHER with Carole Lombard. And don't forget NO TIME FOR COMEDY, at Warner Brothers with Rosalind Russell. 

• Like 1

I agree with James about Stewart...he definitely felt manlier in his later movies after WWII. He feels like a completely different actor when looking at young Jimmy Stewart and old Jimmy Stewart. Thank God he returned to acting...otherwise we wouldn't have had "Vertigo" <3

• Like 2

I agree with James about Stewart...he definitely felt manlier in his later movies after WWII. He feels like a completely different actor when looking at young Jimmy Stewart and old Jimmy Stewart. Thank God he returned to acting...otherwise we wouldn't have had "Vertigo" 

The war changed/aged a lot of them. They literally went from being boys to men. 

Robert Taylor is a lot more "hardened" in his films after the war. And Sterling Hayden had been what they called a 'pin-up boy' who fell into movies by way of modeling. After the war and a considerable absence from Hollywood, he returns to the screen in much grittier roles in noir and westerns he would not have been able to do earlier in his motion picture career. 

Most of them had become tougher, not only in their appearance but in their overall demeanor.

• Like 1