Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Louis Gossett Jr.

14 posts in this topic

180px-Louis_Gossett_Jr_LF.JPG

The guest programmer on TCM for May 2016 is Lou Gossett Jr.

He has selected these films, airing on May 31st:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-02-09%2Bat%2B12.52.

• Like 1

Maybe he'll talk about the great theatrical -- and blacklisted -- actor Canada Lee (1907-1952), who played one of the characters in Sir Alfred Hitchcock's "Lifeboat." Lee also starred with Sidney Poitier in the 1951 film version of Alan Paton's novel about South Africa, "Cry, the Beloved Country." Gossett made his screen debut in "A Raisin in the Sun" (1961), which starred Poitier -- one of the stars of "The Blackboard Jungle."

canadalee-lifeboat.jpg

Lee in "Lifeboat"

• Like 2

Maybe he'll talk about the great theatrical -- and blacklisted -- actor Canada Lee (1907-1952), who played one of the characters in Sir Alfred Hitchcock's "Lifeboat." Lee also starred with Sidney Poitier in the 1951 film version of Alan Paton's novel about South Africa, "Cry, the Beloved Country." Gossett made his screen debut in "A Raisin in the Sun" (1961), which starred Poitier -- one of the stars of "The Blackboard Jungle."

canadalee-lifeboat.jpg

Lee in "Lifeboat"

Yes, I am guessing he probably will discuss Poitier and Lee. 

But are African American guest programmers expected to always choose films featuring African American actors or themes?

For example, I'm part Irish. Would I have to pick films that feature James Cagney, Pat O'Brien or George Murphy?

Yes, I am guessing he probably will discuss Poitier and Lee. 

But are African American guest programmers expected to always choose films featuring African American actors or themes?

For example, I'm part Irish. Would I have to pick films that feature James Cagney, Pat O'Brien or George Murphy?

Well, if they won't do it, who will? I loved it when Diahann Carroll chose one of her own films -- "Claudine" (1974) -- which meant a lot to her because she was Oscar nominated for it. She also selected "Glory" (1989), for which Denzel Washington received his first Academy Award. But she also picked "Now, Voyager" (1942) and "Gilda" (1946). A nice balance.

Robin Quivers chose "A Raisin in the Sun" (1961), but she also recommended "The Philadelphia Story" (1940), "Born Yesterday" (1950) and "A Place in the Sun" (1951).

But Spike Lee displayed his film school background by choosing Billy Wilder's "Ace in the Hole" (1951), Elia Kazan's "On the Waterfront" (1954), Charles Laughton's "The Night of the Hunter" (1955) and Kazan's "A Face in the Crowd" (1957). Each film meant something special to him.

But if black programmers don't talk about black films and artists such as Canada Lee, who will?

• Like 1

Well, if they won't do it, who will? I loved it when Diahann Carroll chose one of her own films -- "Claudine" (1974) -- which meant a lot to her because she was Oscar nominated for it. She also selected "Glory" (1989), for which Denzel Washington received his first Academy Award. But she also picked "Now, Voyager" (1942) and "Gilda" (1946). A nice balance.

Robin Quivers chose "A Raisin in the Sun" (1961), but she also recommended "The Philadelphia Story" (1940), "Born Yesterday" (1950) and "A Place in the Sun" (1951).

But Spike Lee displayed his film school background by choosing Billy Wilder's "Ace in the Hole" (1951), Elia Kazan's "On the Waterfront" (1954), Charles Laughton's "The Night of the Hunter" (1955) and Kazan's "A Face in the Crowd" (1957). Each film meant something special to him.

But if black programmers don't talk about black films and artists such as Canada Lee, who will?

Right-- I like the balance. One guest programmer who stood out to me was Bob Newhart, who chose BLOCK-HEADS, a Laurel & Hardy film that seemed like something he'd pick and SUNSET BOULEVARD, which didn't seem like something he'd pick at all. I think the guest programmers should keep things interesting and refrain from predictability when possible.

As for Diahann Carroll selecting one of her own films, the first time I saw that happen was a few years ago when Shirley Jones introduced ELMER GANTRY. Until then, stars never picked their own films. I prefer it when they do, because who's a better expert on the behind the scenes stuff than them? 

To answer your question about Canada Lee-- I am sure there are non-African Americans who might choose him. He was a great performer. Personally, despite my being part Irish, I'd prefer LIFEBOAT over YOUNG CASSIDY. I don't think the expectation should be that certain races or ethnic types only pick films featuring actors of their same demographic group. It might seem gimmicky and not very authentic. 

As for Diahann Carroll selecting one of her own films, the first time I saw that happen was a few years ago when Shirley Jones introduced ELMER GANTRY. Until then, stars never picked their own films. I prefer it when they do, because who's a better expert on the behind the scenes stuff than them? 

I liked it when Dame Joan Collins talked about her 1956 film "The Opposite Sex," which was a musical remake of "The Women" (1939). And it was an amazing night when Robert Osborne sat down with Mitzi Gaynor to discuss her career. 

It's too bad TCM apparently isn't doing the "Private Screenings" interviews anymore. They were informative.

• Like 2

I liked it when Dame Joan Collins talked about her 1956 film "The Opposite Sex," which was a musical remake of "The Women" (1939). And it was an amazing night when Robert Osborne sat down with Mitzi Gaynor to discuss her career. 

It's too bad TCM apparently isn't doing the "Private Screenings" interviews anymore. They were informative.

Has it been explained anywhere WHY there aren't anymore Private Screenings?  I loved them.

According to the TCM schedule as it stands right now, there has been a change of guest programmers for May 2016. Louis Gossett Jr. has been bumped in favor of Matthew Broderick. Broderick's selections for the evening of May 31 are:

THE DOORWAY TO HELL (1930)

BREAKING AWAY (1979)

THE 400 BLOWS (1959)

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (1942)

Since all of the guest programmer segments are recorded at roughly the same time, I would assume that Louis Gossett will still be a guest programmer for TCM, but that for whatever reason his edition of the series has been moved to a later date.  

Edited by Barton_Keyes
  • Like 1

According to the TCM schedule as it stands right now, there has been a change of guest programmers for May 2016. Louis Gossett Jr. has been bumped in favor of Matthew Broderick. Broderick's selections for the evening of May 30 are:

BREAKING AWAY (1979)

THE 400 BLOWS (1959)

Since all of the guest programmer segments are recorded at roughly the same time, I would assume that Louis Gossett will still be a guest programmer for TCM, but that for whatever reason his edition of the series has been moved to a later date.  

Thanks for the update. So we'll keep the Lou Gossett thread going, because he will probably show up on the June or July schedule. We'll just have to make sure that none of his films change.

By the way, I believe you had a slight error. Broderick's evening is the 31st not the 30th. And I will make a separate thread for him in a moment.

According to the TCM schedule as it stands right now, there has been a change of guest programmers for May 2016. Louis Gossett Jr. has been bumped in favor of Matthew Broderick. Broderick's selections for the evening of May 31 are:

BREAKING AWAY (1979)

THE 400 BLOWS (1959)

Let us know when that later date will be Barton please for Gossett, Jr.

• Like 1

Candice Bergen is the TCM guest programmer in June. So maybe Gossett's evening has been postponed until July. Hopefully it was not entirely scrapped...

LG Jr's pick of Lifeboat is great. That film always leaves me enthralled and Canada Lee is just so wonderful in it. I hate that cliche of the humble "dignified" black man but he did a great job.

I also love Walter Slezak's performance and I really feel he was a bit underrated. The entire cast is so good.

Yes, jakeem. I'd love to see films with black actors that aren't specifically "black films". I'd like a film where a black actor has a pivotal role in an otherwise standard Hollywood film like "Sergeant Rutledge" with Woody Strode's fine performance. 

And really, I can't remember the last time TCM aired "Home of The Brave" a war movie starring Lloyd Bridges with James Edwards as a G.I. in  WWII who is faced with much bigotry from his own Company. Bridges plays a soldier who befriends him. Edwards' performance is so good, yet he is forgotten. His was a sad story. 

I'd love to see someone pick The Landlord from 1970 starring Beau Bridges and a long forgotten by Hollywood, Diana Sands. LG Jr is also in it.   

• Like 1

LG Jr's pick of Lifeboat is great. That film always leaves me enthralled and Canada Lee is just so wonderful in it. I hate that cliche of the humble "dignified" black man but he did a great job.

I also love Walter Slezak's performance and I really feel he was a bit underrated. The entire cast is so good.

Yes, jakeem. I'd love to see films with black actors that aren't specifically "black films". I'd like a film where a black actor has a pivotal role in an otherwise standard Hollywood film like "Sergeant Rutledge" with Woody Strode's fine performance. 

And really, I can't remember the last time TCM aired "Home of The Brave" a war movie starring Lloyd Bridges with James Edwards as a G.I. in  WWII who is faced with much bigotry from his own Company. Bridges plays a soldier who befriends him. Edwards' performance is so good, yet he is forgotten. His was a sad story. 

I'd love to see someone pick The Landlord from 1970 starring Beau Bridges and a long forgotten by Hollywood, Diana Sands. LG Jr is also in it.   

Edwards probably has enough credits that would make him a potential candidate for a Summer Under the Stars tribute. It couldn't be any worse than the time that Hattie McDaniel was saluted. She, of course, never played a lead character.

He's back on the schedule-- for Monday July 18th, 2016. The first three titles remain, but CABIN IN THE SKY has now been replaced by THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.

• Like 1