Sign in to follow this  
FloydDBarber

WC Fields straw hat

5 posts in this topic

Why did Fields wear a hat with no top?

There must be some reason.

So his head wouldn't sweat under the studio lights?

Because he couldn't afford a complete hat?

Because it was easier to put on and take off?

Beats me.

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 3:25 PM, TopBilled said:

Maybe it was just a gimmick that worked for him and helped set him apart from other comics.

I agree. A lot of celebrities have their trademark quirks which separate them from the others. Like Groucho and his painted on mustache and eyebrows or Charlie Chaplin and his cane. W.C. Fields and his topless hat. I liked his diner scene when his hat falls to the bottom of the hatrack, he has trouble getting it back out, so he "accidentally" takes another hat.

On another note, if you've seen one of W.C. Fields' early silent picture at the picnic and then playing pool, don't you think he looks a lot like Steve Martin? Especially from the side. There are a number of old time celebrities which look like more modern celebrities. Like doesn't Clark Gable and Tom Selleck sort of resemble each other? And Esther Williams in "On an island with you" especially, she sort of resembles Kirsty Alley. 

54 minutes ago, Allenex said:

I agree. A lot of celebrities have their trademark quirks which separate them from the others. Like Groucho and his painted on mustache and eyebrows or Charlie Chaplin and his cane. W.C. Fields and his topless hat. I liked his diner scene when his hat falls to the bottom of the hatrack, he has trouble getting it back out, so he "accidentally" takes another hat.

On another note, if you've seen one of W.C. Fields' early silent picture at the picnic and then playing pool, don't you think he looks a lot like Steve Martin? Especially from the side. There are a number of old time celebrities which look like more modern celebrities. Like doesn't Clark Gable and Tom Selleck sort of resemble each other? And Esther Williams in "On an island with you" especially, she sort of resembles Kirsty Alley. 

Dale Robertson reminds me a lot of Clark Gable. And Rosie O'Donnell and Patsy Kelly seem very similar to me.

On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 3:53 AM, TopBilled said:

Dale Robertson reminds me a lot of Clark Gable. And Rosie O'Donnell and Patsy Kelly seem very similar to me.

Van Heflin sort of resembles Woody Harrelson. Rosie O'Donnel and Kate Smith, appearance only, not attitude. Gene Kelly sort of resembling Adam Sandler, but not that much because Adam Sandler is much cruder and will NEVER match Gene Kelly in dancing skills and charm. James Cagney sort of looks like Leonardo Decaprio, well if they made a film based on Cagney's life, I could see Decaprio playing him (although he already played Howard Hughs). I think Amy Poehler could pull off playing Billie Burke in a film on her.