GregoryPeckfan

One Romantic Night aka The Swan (1930)

2 posts in this topic

I saw this for the first time tonight.

I realized part way through that this was the original version of the Grace Kelly/Alec Guiness/Louis Jourdan movie that I adore and find irresistible.  A.G. was hilarious

This is a much more fun film to watch than Black Legion which I watched earlier tonight.

Lillian Gish is the princess and of all people, her mother is played by Marie Dressler.  I found this hard to get past as they do not look to me as if they could be mother and daughter.

I enjoyed the film, but it doesn't hold a candle to the remake from 1956 in my opinion.

I say this knowing full well that I am a fan of everyone involved in the remake.  I admit this.

And finally, I succeeded in watching two PVR recordings that I planned to watch once and then delete to try to cut down on my PVR. 

......Granted, being that this movie is short and I'm recording movies overnight, this isn't decreasing the volume much......

Oh, well.

• Like 1

I saw this for the first time tonight.

I realized part way through that this was the original version of the Grace Kelly/Alec Guiness/Louis Jourdan movie that I adore and find irresistible.  A.G. was hilarious

This is a much more fun film to watch than Black Legion which I watched earlier tonight.

Lillian Gish is the princess and of all people, her mother is played by Marie Dressler.  I found this hard to get past as they do not look to me as if they could be mother and daughter.

I enjoyed the film, but it doesn't hold a candle to the remake from 1956 in my opinion.

I say this knowing full well that I am a fan of everyone involved in the remake.  I admit this.

And finally, I succeeded in watching two PVR recordings that I planned to watch once and then delete to try to cut down on my PVR. 

......Granted, being that this movie is short and I'm recording movies overnight, this isn't decreasing the volume much......

Oh, well.

I, too, love MGM's "The Swan".

It has such a perfect cast.

Grace Kelly and Jessie Royce Landis were always a perfect mother/daughter combo.

But I have always felt that Alec Guinness was far more interested in Louis Jordan than Grace Kelly.

And, knowing what we know of him today, this one could be his most subversive performance.

• Like 1