Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

Oh Joy! Oh Joy! It's A Looney Tunes Thread!

37 posts in this topic

So what's up, Doc? I'll tell you what's up. A thread that will allow us to discuss, dissect or just plain laugh about some of the great Looney Tunes (or Merrie Melodies) cartoons turned out by the Warner Brothers studio, starting in the 1930s .

Feel free to discuss your favourite cartoons or cartoon moments or maybe just some of your favourite cartoon characters from Warners. Not only Bugs and Daffy and Yosemite and Foghorn and the rest, but what about some of those great one shot character efforts - like the one who later became known as Michigan J. Frog (even though he's not identified as such in the cartoon itself, if memory serves me correctly)

So here are three shots from one of my favourites, ALI BABA BUNNY (forgive me, Dargo, for mentioning it first, since I know you love this cartoon, too).

This was one of the later collaborations of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, distinguished, I think, by one of the most hilarious cartoon performances of naked greed ever captured on film by Daffy Duck.

This first shot is just after Bugs and Daffy, in search of Pismo Beach, have somehow wound up in a cave in the Middle East - a cave where there is a vast fortune,

fdcfe345-b30b-44b4-a44d-385412a7ffb0_zps

Ping! The above is Daffy's reaction shot to having just spotted the treasure, as Bugs nonchalantly tries to figure out how they got there.

ee7d5796-8879-4d10-919f-d8d37c6917bf_zps

Daffy licking his lips bill as he likes what he sees.

870fefa9-ca02-4540-9155-a5fc4c844af9_zps

Daffy immediately starting to plot against his pal Bugs (shades of Crosby and Hope) as he wants the treasure all for himself.

This cartoon has a lot of really funny stuff in it, but I chiefly love it because of the spectacularly greeeeeeedy characterization of Daffy Duck, much of it reflected by the subtlety of the facial animation, as I hope the above three images show.

But Daffy also has some great lines in this cartoon, too (written by Michael Maltese). At one point, he proclaims to Bugs, "I can't help it. I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby."

In watching the cartoon today I marvelled once again at the sheer brilliance of Mel Blanc's voice contribution to the hilarity of the proceedings. You just know that when Mel was mouthing Daffy's lines he was slobbering all over the microphone.

So am I alone here? Does anyone else have a Looney Tunes reminiscence that they want to go with? If so, feel free; this thread was created for you.

• Like 8

Tom, I think this recording best displays Mel Blanc's genius.  It's hard to believe it is done by a human being.

• Like 3

Thanks, Bogie. Mel Blanc and the Looney Tunes cartoons was a marriage made in cartoon heaven.

I heard that Chuck Jones would sometimes let Mel just wing it in the studio recording sessions and bits of Mel's improvisational stuff would often wind up in the final products.

Another Looney Tunes fan here!

:)

Mel Blanc truly was an amazing voice actor.  I remember watching a documentary about Mel Blanc where someone commented on how Blanc made difficult vocal tasks seem easy.  One of the difficult things he was able to do was to make one of his characters imitate another character.  He does this in a scene in "Rabbit Fire" when Bugs and Daffy imitate each other. 

Here's a clip of that scene. 

• Like 4

Thanks, Azure. Rabbit Fire is one of the truly great Looney Tunes cartoons, the first time, I believe, in which Bugs and Daffy were co-starred, with, as you say, Mel Blanc's wonderful voice contributions combined with great writing and director Chuck Jones's emphasis upon characterizations for much of the humour.

And any cartoon in which we get to hear Daffy's great signature proclamation - "You'reee des-pik-a-bull," gets my vote as great comedy. I swear that Mel gleefully puts an extra little bit of extra slobber into those deliveries, as well.

• Like 1

Thanks, Azure. Rabbit Fire is one of the truly great Looney Tunes cartoons, the first time, I believe, in which Bugs and Daffy were co-starred, with, as you say, Mel Blanc's wonderful voice contributions combined with great writing and director Chuck Jones's emphasis upon characterizations for much of the humour.

And any cartoon in which we get to hear Daffy's great signature proclamation - "You'reee des-pik-a-bull," gets my vote as great comedy. I swear that Mel gleefully puts an extra little bit of extra slobber into those deliveries, as well.

He probably did.  LOL  I'm sure that they had to wipe the microphone down really well afterward. 

:D

One of the great Bugs Bunny Cartoons, folks.

I love this one as well!  Thanks for posting the video.  One of my favorite scenes in that cartoon is when Bugs disguises himself and visits Cecil the Turtle's house (with a typewriter hidden in his beard).  I recently found out that Bugs was impersonating the "Old Timer" from the Fibber McGee and Molly radio show, who had the famous catchphrase, "That ain't the way I heard it, Johnny."

I also like the cartoon with the original race between Bugs and Cecil.  I think it's called "Tortoise Beats Hare".  Bugs watches some scenes from that one in the beginning of the cartoon you posted. 

Director Bob Clampett was a crazy genius.

Yes, he was.  One of my favorite Bob Clampett-directed WB cartoons is "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery".  I can't post the whole video, so I'll tell the story with a mix of pictures and video clips.

After reading his Dick Tracy comic book, Donald Duck accidentally knocks himself out.  He dreams that he is "Duck Twacy", the famous detective. 

b59a54ce-0e2c-4e6f-9dad-9bacf3314950_zps

After receiving several phone calls about stolen piggy banks, Daffy discovers that his own piggy bank has been stolen. 

The%20Great%20Piggy%20Bank%20Robbery%208

He decides to take action right away.  While he's out looking for clues, he has a run-in with Sherlock Holmes.

"Scram, Sherlock.  I'm workin' this side of the street!"

d86a877a-24ab-4b90-a352-5c5be500e433_zps

He hops on a streetcar (driven by Porky Pig) that takes him directly to the gangster's no-so-secret hideout.

bf49b40a-65c4-455f-a1eb-1b6f034353d0_zps

8d7169c5-af16-4293-afa1-838a07b03356_zps

When he goes into the hideout, he encounters some very interesting-looking gangsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ly35NQfZw8

After defeating the bad guys, Daffy finds all the stolen piggy banks.

fcb4ced5-7501-4b4e-a0c6-f41d01ffcae5_zps

He is thrilled when he finally finds his own piggy bank. 

5509cce0-1980-49e5-b9a7-c666093f75a5_zps

He jubilantly kisses his piggy bank over and over until.......

......he wakes up and realizes that he is actually kissing a real pig. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cN9t2BW8xs

The End

:)

• Like 2

I love this one as well!  Thanks for posting the video.  One of my favorite scenes in that cartoon is when Bugs disguises himself and visits Cecil the Turtle's house (with a typewriting hidden in his beard).  I recently found out that Bugs was impersonating the "Old Timer" from the Fibber McGee and Molly radio show, who had the famous catchphrase, "That ain't the way I heard it, Johnny."

I also like the cartoon with the original race between Bugs and Cecil.  I think it's called "Tortoise Beats Hare".  Bugs watches some scenes from that one in the beginning of the cartoon you posted. 

Thanks very much, Azure. I didn't know that the Johnny line was from Fibber McGee and Molly.

One of my favourite aspects of Tortoise Wins By A Hare is that, for once, Bugs is not in control, and he resorts to all kinds of sneaky ploys to get that control, but still winds up out-smarted, anyway - for a change.

And, boy, Cecil Turtle was right - those gangster rabbits really aren't very smart, are they?

Great rundown and posted pix on The Great Piggy Bank Robbery, Azure, almost as good as watching the cartoon. And you're certainly right, too, - this is one of the great, great Clampett masterpieces.

Daffy as Duck Twacy was a forerunner to when he would later be The Scarlet Pumpernickel, as well as a few other screen hero parodies. But those would be more subtle affairs with Chuck Jones, not the wild time that Daffy would have with Bob Clampett here.

Don't know if the link will work, but my favorite Road Runner/Coyote cartoon is Whoa Be Gone. Wile E. straps a helmet with a wheel on his head. The idea is that he is going to turn himself upside down to ride a wire to his prey. Drumroll as he is attempting to balance himself. He just about gets himself balanced when the wire breaks and he ends up falling. Hilarious! When I watch some of these cartoons, I often wonder just what the heck these guys were smoking when they came up with this stuff.

https://vimeo.com/75598999

• Like 1

Thanks for the posting, Janet. Speaking for myself, I've never been a great devotee of the Roadrunner cartoons. I find a certain sameness about them. I must be honest, though. I did chuckle a few times during that particular Roadrunner you selected. Poor Wile E..

I have to give credit to Wile E. Coyote as a character that just never says die. He is the last one to ever follow some advice once offered by the great W. C. Fields.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it."

porky%27sroadrace2.5.png

• Like 3

Thanks very much, Azure. I didn't know that the Johnny line was from Fibber McGee and Molly.

One of my favourite aspects of Tortoise Wins By A Hare is that, for once, Bugs is not in control, and he resorts to all kinds of sneaky ploys to get that control, but still winds up out-smarted, anyway - for a change.

And, boy, Cecil Turtle was right - those gangster rabbits really aren't very smart, are they?

You're welcome, Tom.  Yes, Bugs was rarely the loser in any of his cartoons.  The only other time that I can think of is in "Rabbit Rampage".  In this cartoon, an animator uses his paintbrush as a weapon against Bugs.  He torments him by drawing him incorrectly and by doing all sorts of crazy things to him. 

860a4e72-ec7e-46fe-8a01-7b22e79c29c2_zps

rabbitrampage2_zps2jiafzoh.jpg

rabbitrampage3_zps1zwzg69p.jpg

Elmer Fudd finally got his revenge!

rabbitrampage4_zpsgpfhchoy.jpg

Great rundown and posted pix on The Great Piggy Bank Robbery, Azure, almost as good as watching the cartoon. And you're certainly right, too, - this is one of the great, great Clampett masterpieces.

Daffy as Duck Twacy was a forerunner to when he would later be The Scarlet Pumpernickel, as well as a few other screen hero parodies. But those would be more subtle affairs with Chuck Jones, not the wild time that Daffy would have with Bob Clampett here.

Thanks, Tom. 

I forgot all about "The Scarlet Pumpernickel".  I haven't seen that one in a long time. 

You're welcome, Tom.  Yes, Bugs was rarely the loser in any of his cartoons.  The only other time that I can think of is in "Rabbit Rampage".  In this cartoon, an animator uses his paintbrush as a weapon against Bugs.  He torments him by drawing him incorrectly and by doing all sorts of crazy things to him.

I vaguely recall that one. That was when they pulled a "Duck Amuck" on Bugs but, if memory serves me correctly, it was funnier when they tormented poor Daffy.

Boomerang isn't included in my cable package, but Cartoon Network is. They haven't shown any of the Warners cartoons in quite some time and when they did, it was always the same ones. You can see them on You Tube. Chow Hound is a one I haven't seen on TV in years. That's the one where the bully dog uses a cat and mouse to get him food at various homes. Every time they succeed in bringing him something to eat, he says, "What! No gravy?!!" At the end when the dog is stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey and can't move, the cat and mouse poor a barrel of gravy down his gullet. Pure evil.

I vaguely recall that one. That was when they pulled a "Duck Amuck" on Bugs but, if memory serves me correctly, it was funnier when they tormented poor Daffy.

I just watched "Duck Amuck" to compare the two cartoons for myself.  I agree with you -- it's definitely funnier than "Rabbit Rampage".  Daffy's over-the-top reactions are hilarious.  

Boomerang isn't included in my cable package, but Cartoon Network is. They haven't shown any of the Warners cartoons in quite some time and when they did, it was always the same ones. You can see them on You Tube. Chow Hound is a one I haven't seen on TV in years. That's the one where the bully dog uses a cat and mouse to get him food at various homes. Every time they succeed in bringing him something to eat, he says, "What! No gravy?!!" At the end when the dog is stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey and can't move, the cat and mouse poor a barrel of gravy down his gullet. Pure evil.

I just watched "Chow Hound" for the first time and I enjoyed it.  Before I saw your post, I had never even heard of this cartoon.   Thanks for mentioning it, Janet. 

I love this thread.  It gives me an excuse to watch cartoons. 

(As if I really needed an excuse....)

;)

I just watched "Chow Hound" for the first time and I enjoyed it.  Before I saw your post, I had never even heard of this cartoon.   Thanks for mentioning it, Janet. 

I love this thread.  It give me an excuse to watch cartoons. 

(As if I really needed an excuse....)

;)

You're welcome. I am a huge Warner's cartoon fan. Have you seen Robot Rabbit? Elmer assembles a robot to get Bugs out of his carrot patch. Natch Bugs dresses up as a girl robot in one scene, which is too hilarious. "Stop it! You're moving too fast. We only just met! Hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo" in that girlish voice. Oh, man!

You're welcome. I am a huge Warner's cartoon fan. Have you seen Robot Rabbit? Elmer assembles a robot to get Bugs out of his carrot patch. Natch Bugs dresses up as a girl robot in one scene, which is too hilarious. "Stop it! You're moving too fast. We only just met! Hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo" in that girlish voice. Oh, man!

I just watched "Robot Rabbit".  I hadn't seen this one in a long time and I could barely remember the storyline.  The part where Bugs dresses up like a girl robot was classic.  Bugs was always so funny when he was pretending to be a female.  I also liked the part when the robot offers Bugs a box of assorted nuts (steel ones, of course). 

There were a couple of musical moments in this cartoon that I enjoyed.  Bugs and Elmer sing a duet in the beginning, which is funny because it means that Mel Blanc was singing a duet with himself.  I also liked Bugs' version of "It's Magic".

Oh, carrots are divine

You get a dozen for a dime

It's magic...

:lol: 

• Like 1

Forgive me for not knowing all the official titles to the shorts, but I love Looney Tunes.  I have the first three volumes of The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection on Blu-Ray.  Great set.  

Anyway...

There's the one where Bugs Bunny wakes up all hungover after a late night drinking carrot juice and he ends up staggering onto Marvin the Martian's spaceship.   That one is funny.

I love the one where Bugs Bunny is kidnapped by a Peter Lorre-like mad scientist who wants to feed Bugs to his monster Gossamer.  My favorite part is when Bugs pretends to be a hairdresser.

There's another one where Elmer Fudd spends the entire episode trying to capture Bugs Bunny to appease Humphrey Bogart after the star requests rabbit.  Turns out that Bogart's date--Lauren Bacall wants a rabbit.  Bugs happily offers himself to Bacall.

I love "Hollywood Steps Out."  My love Errol Flynn is there.

There's another funny one where Elmer Fudd comes across Bugs Bunny lying on a bench with a bunch of out of work actors-- Bing Crosby, Eddie Cantor, Al Jolson... and he says something to the effect of: "Bugs! What are you doing here with these losers? They'll never amount to anything." 

Finally I love "One Froggy Evening" with Michigan J. Frog and "Three Little Bops," a jazz version of "The Three Little Pigs." 

• Like 1

speedracer5, on 26 Feb 2016 - 11:15 PM, said:speedracer5, on 26 Feb 2016 - 11:15 PM, said:speedracer5, on 26 Feb 2016 - 11:15 PM, said:

Forgive me for not knowing all the official titles to the shorts, but I love Looney Tunes.  I have the first three volumes of The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection on Blu-Ray.  Great set.  

Anyway...

There's the one where Bugs Bunny wakes up all hungover after a late night drinking carrot juice and he ends up staggering onto Marvin the Martian's spaceship.   That one is funny.

I love the one where Bugs Bunny is kidnapped by a Peter Lorre-like mad scientist who wants to feed Bugs to his monster Gossamer.  My favorite part is when Bugs pretends to be a hairdresser.

There's another one where Elmer Fudd spends the entire episode trying to capture Bugs Bunny to appease Humphrey Bogart after the star requests rabbit.  Turns out that Bogart's date--Lauren Bacall wants a rabbit.  Bugs happily offers himself to Bacall.

Speedy, I can provide you with the titles of those three cartoons you like.

HARE-WAY TO THE STARS is the Bugs and Marvin one.

1322805180_3.jpg

HAIR RAISING HARE has Bugs dealing with mad scientist Peter Lorre and doing Gossmer's nails while posing as a beautician.

bb_hrh03.jpg

SLICK HARE has Bugs as a waiter at the "Mocrumbo" nightclub serving an increasingly irate Humphrey Bogart.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

I like all of the cartoons that you mentioned, but this one is definitely one of my favorites.  I love the "monster manicure" scene, too.  Here's a clip of that scene:

• Like 1