Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

Oh Joy! Oh Joy! It's A Looney Tunes Thread!

37 posts in this topic

Speedy, I can provide you with the titles of those three cartoons you like.

HARE-WAY TO THE STARS is the Bugs and Marvin one.

HAIR RAISING HARE has Bugs dealing with mad scientist Peter Lorre and doing Gossmer's nails while posing as a beautician.

SLICK HARE has Bugs as a waiter at the "Mocrumbo" nightclub serving an increasingly irate Humphrey Bogart.

Thanks Tom! I guess Bugs was a manicurist not hairdresser, for some reason, I thought I remembered Bugs combing Gossamer's fur.  

Do you know which cartoon has Bugs Bunny living in the park, destitute, with all the out of work crooners?

One of the great things about the Looney Tunes that I love are all the references to Hollywood stars and all the impressions.  It seems that most often, it's the Warner Brothers stars that are impersonated the most, which makes sense.  It seems that Peter Lorre is most often used for the mad scientist type characters and Edward G. Robinson often times showed up as a gangster.

Do you know if there are any Errol caricatures aside from him showing up in "Hollywood Steps Out?" I know a clip of him as Robin Hood appears in the episode where Bugs Bunny is harassed by the Sheriff of Nottingham's guard for eating the Sheriff's carrots.  

speedracer5, on 29 Feb 2016 - 01:47 AM, said:speedracer5, on 29 Feb 2016 - 01:47 AM, said:

Thanks Tom! I guess Bugs was a manicurist not hairdresser, for some reason, I thought I remembered Bugs combing Gossamer's fur.  

Do you know which cartoon has Bugs Bunny living in the park, destitute, with all the out of work crooners?

One of the great things about the Looney Tunes that I love are all the references to Hollywood stars and all the impressions.  It seems that most often, it's the Warner Brothers stars that are impersonated the most, which makes sense.  It seems that Peter Lorre is most often used for the mad scientist type characters and Edward G. Robinson often times showed up as a gangster.

Do you know if there are any Errol caricatures aside from him showing up in "Hollywood Steps Out?" I know a clip of him as Robin Hood appears in the episode where Bugs Bunny is harassed by the Sheriff of Nottingham's guard for eating the Sheriff's carrots.  

[media]

[media]

There you go, Speedracer.

While it's true that the Looney Tunes cartoons' Hollywood caricatures did have their share of Warners stars (with Edward G. Robinson and Bogart seeming to be particular favourites), I have always been struck by how often their cartoons did parodies of stars from the other studios. 

Take Hollywood Steps Out, for example. You'll find Tyrone Power and Sonia Henie (both Fox) dancing with each other, JImmy Stewart (MGM) with Dorothy Lamour (Paramount). There's the Three Stooges (Columbia), Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan (MGM), Wallace Beery, William Powell, Spencer Tracy (all MGM). The cartoon ends with a gag involving Clark Gable and Groucho Marx (both MGM, as well).

It surprised me a bit that the Looney Tunes Hollywood spoofs would, in fact, promote the stars of rival studios, to a considerable degree. I could be wrong but it seems to me that when any MGM Hollywood spoofs came out of their animation department they pretty well stuck to MGM stars, as opposed to those at Warners.

Mind you some of their extended cartoons spoofs, like Thugs With Dirty Mugs (with a bulldog gangster talking like Eddie Robinson) or Slick Hare (Bogie in the nightclub) or Hair Raising Hare (mad scientist Peter Lorre), or, one of my favourites, 8 Ball Bunny (which has Bogart popping up occasionally as Fred C. Dobbs asking for a handout - "Hit the road" Bugs tells him at one point after tossing him a coin) were placing understandable emphasis upon home studio stars. 

hqdefault2_zps1wra42ks.jpg

The Flynn caricature in Hollywood Steps Out and his gag film appearance in Rabbit Hood are the only two instances that I know of with Errol Flynn in Looney Tunes efforts. However, The Scarlet Pumpernickel has numerous dialogue references to Flynn, courtesy Daffy Duck in this swashbuckler parody.

• Like 2

There you go, Speedracer.

While it's true that the Looney Tunes cartoons' Hollywood caricatures did have their share of Warners stars (with Edward G. Robinson and Bogart seeming to be particular favourites), I have always been struck by how often their cartoons did parodies of stars from the other studios. 

Take Hollywood Steps Out, for example. You'll find Tyrone Power and Sonia Henie (both Fox) dancing with each other, JImmy Stewart (MGM) with Dorothy Lamour (Paramount). There's the Three Stooges (Columbia), Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan (MGM), Wallace Beery, William Powell, Spencer Tracy (all MGM). The cartoon ends with a gag involving Clark Gable and Groucho Marx (both MGM, as well).

It surprised me a bit that the Looney Tunes Hollywood spoofs would, in fact, promote the stars of rival studios, to a considerable degree. I could be wrong but it seems to me that when any MGM Hollywood spoofs came out of their animation department they pretty well stuck to MGM stars, as opposed to those at Warners.

Mind you some of their extended cartoons spoofs, like Thugs With Dirty Mugs (with a bulldog gangster talking like Eddie Robinson) or Slick Hare (Bogie in the nightclub) or Hair Raising Hare (mad scientist Peter Lorre), or, one of my favourites, 8 Ball Bunny (which has Bogart popping up occasionally as Fred C. Dobbs asking for a handout - "Hit the road" Bugs tells him at one point after tossing him a coin) were placing understandable emphasis upon home studio stars. 

The Flynn caricature in Hollywood Steps Out and his gag film appearance in Rabbit Hood are the only two instances that I know of with Errol Flynn in Looney Tunes efforts. However, The Scarlet Pumpernickel has numerous dialogue references to Flynn, courtesy Daffy Duck in this swashbuckler parody.

Thanks Tom! 

That was exactly the cartoon I was trying to remember.  I'll have to check my Blu-Rays to see if that episode is included.  I'm sure it is.  I remember the one where Bogart kept asking Bugs for money.  I'll have to see that one again.  I can't remember "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" cartoon.  I'll need to see if I own that one as well.

I didn't realize so many other celebrities were often parodied except for in "Hollywood Steps Out."  I knew about Bogart, Robinson and Lorre.  I suppose Bing is parodied in the "What's Up Doc?" cartoon that you linked, and I think he was Paramount (?).  

Another fun parody is that of Al Jolson in a 1930's cartoon.  A young owl, named... wait for it... "OWL" JOLSON, takes up crooning, much to the chagrin of his parents and siblings who are into classical music.  Owl ends up on an amateur hour radio contest hosted by Jack Bunny (lol) and sings his favorite song-- "I Love to Singa." 

I love to sing-a

About the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a

I love to sing-a

About a sky of blue-a or a tea for two-a

Anything-a with a swing-a to an "I love you-a" 

I love to, I love to sing!

Another cartoon I love is "Duck Amuck" when a sadistic Bugs Bunny, acting as an animator, keeps screwing with Daffy Duck by erasing parts of his body and replacing them with flowers or other objects.  

Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny were always my favorites.  If I saw either of their faces pop up, then I knew it was a gonna be a good one. 

Marvin the Martian comes in a close third. 

I was always disappointed when it was Tweety or Pepe Le Pew.  

• Like 1

Speedracer, you may be thinking about a cartoon called "Water, Water Every Hare".  It is very similar to "Hair-Raising Hare".  Here's a video clip of the hairdressing scene:

• Like 1

Another fun parody is that of Al Jolson in a 1930's cartoon.  A young owl, named... wait for it... "OWL" JOLSON, takes up crooning, much to the chagrin of his parents and siblings who are into classical music.  Owl ends up on an amateur hour radio contest hosted by Jack Bunny (lol) and sings his favorite song-- "I Love to Singa." 

I love to sing-a

About the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a

I love to sing-a

About a sky of blue-a or a tea for two-a

Anything-a with a swing-a to an "I love you-a" 

I love to, I love to sing!

This is one of my favorites, too.  The little owl was so cute.  I found out that the boy who voiced "Owl" Jolson was Tommy Bond, who played "Butch" in the Our Gang (aka Little Rascals) films. 

Yes, but didn't you like slobberin' Sylvester? He was sort of a forerunner to Wile E. Coyote, but add in a lot of drool. And, once they decided to give his character a voice, Mel Blanc did a killer . . .

[media]

[media]

Like many people here, I grew up on Bugs Bunny, and can recite lines by heart.

One of my favorite episodes is "Easter Yeggs", a laugh from start to finish.  Bugs takes over egg delivery duties from the hilariously morose Easter Bunny ("Remember... keep smiling!") and soon comes to regret it when he meets up with a red-headed kid.

Every year, at Easter, my sister and I would mimic lines from this cartoon, so it also has a deep sentimental memory for me.  I no longer see my sister, but every Easter I still remember the Looney Tunes short and laugh! 

Trivia note: Mel Blanc's voicing style of the Easter Bunny was also used during the Burns and Allen radio shows, where he played a postman character.  He also used the line, "Remember... keep smiling!"

33jivq1.jpg

29z8uwi.jpg

• Like 3

Like many people here, I grew up on Bugs Bunny, and can recite lines by heart.

One of my favorite episodes is "Easter Yeggs", a laugh from start to finish.  Bugs takes over egg delivery duties from the hilariously morose Easter Bunny ("Remember... keep smiling!") and soon comes to regret it when he meets up with a red-headed kid.

Thanks, Eugenia. Easter Yeggs has long been one of my very favourite Bugs Bunny cartoons. Like you, I saw it a few zillion times when it came on TV when I was a kid. This one was directed by Robert McKimson and Bugs probably never looked better (a bit of a weird thing to say, I suppose).

Like so many of the Warners cartoons, this one utilized a popular song as part of its musical backdrop, this one very effectively incorporating the sentimental "Some Sunday Morning" as part of its score. (Just two years before Alexis Smith had introduced this popular hit when she sang it to Errol Flynn and a saloon full of cowboys in San Antonio).

What I particularly recall with pleasure (my pleasure, certainly not Bugs's) from that cartoon was that bratty little kid that Bugs encountered on a number of occasions, with his constant cry of, "I wanna easta egg, I wanna easta egg, I wanna easta egg!"

• Like 1

What I particularly recall with pleasure (my pleasure, certainly not Bugs's) from that cartoon was that bratty little kid that Bugs encountered on a number of occasions, with his constant cry of, "I wanna easta egg, I wanna easta egg, I wanna easta egg!"

Remember the scene (I'm sure you do), where Bugs opens a door and he unexpectedly sees the kid, who says, "I wanna easta egg, I wanna easta egg.." and Bugs leaps in fright and says, "OH, NO!!!!!!!!!!!"  I can even remember the inflection in his voice!

Lol.....  :P

• Like 1

Remember the scene (I'm sure you do), where Bugs opens a door and he unexpectedly sees the kid, who says, "I wanna easta egg, I wanna easta egg.." and Bugs leaps in fright and says, "OH, NO!!!!!!!!!!!"  I can even remember the inflection in his voice!

Lol.....  :P

Yep, that Mel Blanc "Oh, NOOOOOOO!!!!" has always stayed with me.

Easter Yeggs is a GREAT cartoon!

• Like 1

I think Tweety is pure evil. What he does to Sylvester...

What do you know? Putty has pink skin under his fur.

Aw, the poor puttytat's parachute didn't open.

Here, Putty... a nice, juicy piece of salt pork. Aw, the puttytat's turning gween again.

I lose more puttytats that way.

My favorite of the Tweety & Sylvesters is called Tweety's Circus, I think. Or Tweety and the Circus.

• Like 3

Like so many of the Warners cartoons, this one utilized a popular song as part of its musical backdrop, this one very effectively incorporating the sentimental "Some Sunday Morning" as part of its score. (Just two years before Alexis Smith had introduced this popular hit when she sang it to Errol Flynn and a saloon full of cowboys in San Antonio).

This song was also used in another one of my favorite LT cartoons -- "Back Alley Oproar" with Sylvester and Elmer Fudd.   (The song is not exactly sentimental in this cartoon.....)

• Like 2