LawrenceA

A Humphrey Bogart Thread

33 posts in this topic

I've been trying to figure out which year TCM became available here in Canada.

Thanks.  11 years...

CPfan, I ony said that I've been on TCM for eleven years. It's actually been available in Canada less time than that. I was using a grey market provider for a while and getting it via U.S. satellite.

CPfan, I ony said that I've been on TCM for eleven years. It's actually been available in Canada less time than that. I was using a grey market provider for a while and getting it via U.S. satellite.

Okay,  I know it was the year that Shelly Winters died because a tribute to her interrupted the Star of the Month look at Robert Montgomery.  Just checked imdb.

Winters died in 2006.

Therefore, I've had TCM for TEN years. 

I see you have The Enforcer and The Great O'Malley ranked fairly high. That's good news, since I still have those to look forward to.

The Great O'Malley is really Pat O'Brien's film.  Bogie does play an important role in the film, but Pat is the protagonist.  It's a sweet, emotional kind of film about humanity.

The Enforcer finds Bogart as a district attorney looking to put the crime syndicate "Murder Inc." out of business.  While he's the driving force, his screen time isn't heavy as you'd think.  The film focuses on the crooks a decent amount, and does so with great interest.  It's an underrated crime pic.

• Like 4

Okay,  I know it was the year that Shelly Winters died because a tribute to her interrupted the Star of the Month look at Robert Montgomery.  Just checked imdb.

Winters died in 2006.

Therefore, I've had TCM for TEN years. 

They've got a wine that'll clear that up for you.

• Like 1

I own a lot of Humphrey Bogart movies (I am still trying to collect more). I will watch/own any movie this man has ever made because he makes it worth watching just by appearing in it. Among the movies I own is We’re No Angels. Although he wasn’t a singer, I have to say he sounded pretty good in that film and also in The African Queen. 

On 2/21/2016 at 4:30 PM, LawrenceA said:

In this thread I'd like to discuss the films of Humphrey Bogart. My personal favorite star of the Golden Era, he exuded cool and tough guy charm, despite coming from a pampered, prep-school-and-country-club background. He toiled away in bit parts and minor heavy roles for a decade, traveling between Hollywood and the New York stage, working to hone his craft, until he finally broke through into the big time with High Sierra in 1941. He remained one of the major stars of the screen for the next 15 years, until his untimely death in 1957 at the age of 57. His legacy has lived on though, as he and his iconic characters have become cornerstones of American culture, as well as in the rest of the world. In 1997, Entertainment Weekly names Bogart the "Greatest Movie Star of All Time." While you may disagree with that assessment, he is my favorite of that bygone era, and one of my favorites of any time.

My favorite Humphrey Bogart films:

Casablanca (1942)

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

The Big Sleep (1946)

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

In a Lonely Place (1950)

To Have and Have Not (1944)

High Sierra (1941)

The African Queen (1951)

Key Largo (1948)

The Caine Mutiny (1954)

Dead Reckoning (1947)

The Petrified Forest (1936)

Sahara (1943)

All Through the Night (1941)

They Drive By Night (1940)

Please list your own favorites, and any other thoughts about Bogart or his work.

Don't know if your a fellow *Sinatra fan, but anyway he was great pals until the end with *Bogey, though it was *Tracy & *Hepburn the last to visit him at his 232 Mapleton, drive house-(not far from The Playboy Mansion & ironically when Hugh Hefner was a GP (Guest Programmer) all 4 choices of Hef's were *Bogart movies.

But, as most know *The Chairman moved in for awhile with Bacall & most of all next time you see *FS in a film he has all the style, mannerisms of *Humphrey Bogart

Among my personal all-time Oscar (SINS OF OMISSUON) is what I rate as his finest work as an actor Dobbs in treasure Sierra Madre  Not even in the race for Best Actor?