Sign in to follow this  
ladymoviebuff

MOVIE: "No Time For Love" (1941)

22 posts in this topic

Okay... who else loves this movie as much as I do?? I need to know because I've never met anyone who does... I've never met anyone who even knows this wonderful movie (I still can't believe that!)... you know... its got Claudette Colbert and a super-buff and tough Fred MacMurray in it (he's nothing like his sweet and bumbling role as the father in the TV show "My Three Sons" which is how I grew up knowing him and is the only way I could picture him and his personality until I saw him in this gem of a movie. It's an incredible movie, I just adore it and I really need to chat with others who do too! There's just no way I'm the only one who's gaga about this movie!! Thanks.

Is this the movie where they start a chicken farm? If so, I cannot say I've seen it all the way through, but I know how you feel. One of my favorite films is "SUN VALLEY SERENADE". I've never encountered anyone who has ever seen it.

I believe you're thinking of another Colbert / MacMurray classic called THE EGG AND I. Not a bad little film in it's own right, but probably most famous for the screen debut of Ma amd Pa Kettle.

MURDER, HE SAYS is another MacMurray film that's a lot of fun.

No, it's not "The Egg And I"... but you know that already. People like you and nedlato pervert these message boards here at turnerclassicmovies.com... go away. You don't belong here.

What is going on with these boards lately? We've got a self righteous poster saying that our topics are "sex-starved and frightening" and that what we write is "smut" and another one throwing around insults and calling names. These boards are for discussing FILMS, not YOUR personal philosophy on life, so if you think talking about movies makes someone a "pervert" maybe you should find another forum to voice your narrow-minded opinions.

Thank you, lolmsted, for your good sense.

Please, please, don't let these message boards become like so many--what's wrong with diverting from the main topic a little?? It's as close to real conversation as we get about a topic we all, I hope, enjoy--classic movies--REMEMBER?. Let's make an effort to treat each other's thoughts with respect and discuss things civilly. Isn't the art, charm, grace and fun of old movies part of what attracted us here? Maybe we can emulate those qualities with one another. Please?

"No Time For Love" (1943) is, as you probably know, one of a series of films that Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray appeared in at Paramount under the direction of Mitchell Leisen. I can't say that I love it as much as some earlier movies such as "Swing High, Swing Low" (1937) with Fred & Carole Lombard in a dark screwball comedey and "Midnight"(1939)with Claudette & Don Ameche, but they're a cute, cantakerous couple here.

The fun in "No Time for Love" comes from the detailed depiction of the sandhog's life blasting the tunnel beneath NYC and alot of slapstick done well by Miss Colbert as the reporter/photographer out of her element. I'm one of those people who's just starting to realize that Claudette Colbert's work probably deserves a month on TCM, if she hasn't had one already. She's terrific at comedy and drama.

As for Fred MacMurray, isn't he amazing? If you haven't seen "Swing High, Swing Low" , "Murder, She Says" or any of his other comedies, I hope that you will--but his cynical roles in such movies as "Double Indemnity", "Borderline" and "The Apartment" are REAL revelations. The guy was a great actor. He's definitely under-rated. Interestingly, he was somewhat embarassed to find himself an actor. According to Leisen's bio and Wilder's memoirs, he had to be talked into doing any love scenes effectively and he just turned down anymore film work for mature audiences after he began to appear in "My Three Sons" and Disney features.

By the way, I think they were at their best together in "The Egg and I". I especially like the scene where Claudette throws her shoe at Fred & another girl. Peace, okay? :-)

I am so glad there is someone so all knowing as LADYMOVIEBUFF to tell everyone else exactly where they belong or do not belong.

Dear Moira:

I'm amazed that I have never seen "The Egg And I" at all, but thank you for telling me a lot about "No Time For Love" and about Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert too. But you didn't LOVE "No Time For Love" and I need to find someone who loves it as much as I. I will feel all alone on this until I do. Surely there must be someone out there who loves it too. But I'm glad if "The Egg And I" really does it for you (unless you were defending nedlato's and the other persons cruel game they were playing with me -- my enemies told them my real identity and they were jerking me around on purpose. I need sincerety). I just wanted to find someone who loves "No Time For Love" as much as I do. That's all.

Dear lolmsted:

I agree that these boards are for movies and people who truly love movies... not people like nedlato and bradf519 who my enemies told my real identity (I'm not famous, just need my privacy, or at least SOME genuine privacy) know my real identity and they left messages written in a way that made sure I would know that they knew ME. But I doubt that they love movies. Quite frankly, if I had a "life", I wouldn't love or be "into" movies as much as I am. I have valid reasons to be upset with nedlato and bradf516 for the posts they left in response to mine, whether you realize it, or not.

Some of you are defending nedlato and bradf516 for their "signal" posts in response to mine (signalling me in a sneaky way that others who are genuinely unaware of one of the many cruel games that have been played on me and at MY expense... that they know me, who I really am, and even doing it in a way they knew would drive me up a wall just to intentionally drive me up a wall). If you genuinely don't know that they did this then you're only a minor problem for me easily ignored and forgotten, but if you DO know them and the real truth that they did this ugly thing on purpose and you're defending THEM, then that's what my enemies do... they defend people who hurt me and that makes you my enemies too!!

...and my 45th birthday is this Sunday, April 27th... I really don't need any more crap in my life! I've had too much crap and cruelty and stupidity and misunderstandings and people misunderstanding me throughout the course of my entire life and every single day of my entire life (no exaggeration) and that's way too much already. I need peace and happiness and joy and good things and kindness and generosity and a change in the quality of my life!! I like people who don't play games with me or other people and a human life!! Not sneaky, cruel jerks like nedlato and bradf516!!

And my birthday is Saturday, April 26th. What does it matter what our birthdays are?

I knew that one was coming. And there may be more.

This message board is usually a quiet little oasis, but in the absence of a moderator, it's fertile ground for any kind of troll that wants to crawl out from under the bridge. It's possible that a few of them have found us in recent days. I guess we all know that the best policy is to never feed them....no matter how many times they ask.

Hey all,

TCM web group here. We were surprised to see a number of concerns come in to us about postings in this thread, as we normally see everyone acting responsible and cordial to one another, no matter the post. We continue to ask that everyone be respectful and polite in their posts ? even if you don?t necessarily agree, and we appreciate everyone?s continued effort to make this a passionate, yet considerate and fun place to communicate about classic movies. We ask everyone to please make best efforts to adhere to these simple guidelines. Thank you.

TCM Staff

I have been looking for a movie for a long time. I was only able to watch the end of it. It is a love story and it sounds like the premise of No Time For Love. However, it ends with the man being caved in underground and his hands get badly hurt and bandaged. So, he can't call the girl. But she finds out about it and comes to him. Oh so romantic. Is this No Time For Love??

Thank you for your help.

I haven't seen No Time For Love in years, but I found this little thread- as seemingly off topic as it got- and right now I just happen to be searching for it. AMC ran it when it was a real classic movie channel. This has just made me want to see it again all the more. Anyone know where I could find a copy of this movie?