Sign in to follow this  
ladymoviebuff

Rodgers & Hammerstein

67 posts in this topic

What's your favorite Rodgers & Hammerstein musical? And why?

I have always loved Rodgers & Hammerstein... because their works are musical beauty to my ears and soul. I'm truly amazed that I still haven't seen "State Fair" because I'm so completely in love with Rodgers & Hammerstein that when the subject of movie musicals comes up anywhere they are "it" for me (though, Lerner & Lowe do trail very closely behind them). My favorite R&H musicals are, in order (with #7 being the lesser, and #1 being the greater favorite):

7) Flower Drum Song

6) South Pacific

5) The Sound Of Music

4) The King And I

3) Oklahoma!

2) Cinderella... and

1) CAROUSEL

THE KING AND I because I love everything about it! The music, the singing, the story, the costumes -what a package!! It's one of my most watched tapes. I think my favorite number is "Getting to Know You" but its really hard to pick just one.

Oh, I love Rodgers and Hammerstein!!!

I can never decide which of their musicals is my favorite.. I alternate between The Sound of Music, Oklahoma!, Carousel, and The King and I. South Pacific and State Fair are also wonderful. Yul Brynner was fantastic in The King and I, and I loved Gordan McRae in Oklahoma! and Carousel. All these musicals are timeless, always a joy to watch.

Rodgers and Hammerstein are brilliant! I think my list would go like this...

Carousel

Oklahoma!

State Fair

The Sound of Music

South Pacific

The King and I

Carousel is definitely my first favourite though, the music is most thrilling and enchanting! Though I do adore all of R&H's other work as well, such wonderful men. I fall apart for them like I fall apart for Gordon MacRae or Leslie Howard!:)

~Emily aka Eliza

Hello! You might say I was nearly raised with R&H films; last year, I acquired "The Sound Of Music" and "My Fair Lady". It was my first ever viewing those movies, and I was kicking myself for not watching the first releases.

In my early grade school years, we would practice singing the songs from those films; numbers such as "Getting To Know You"; "Oklahoma"; Oh, What a Beautiful Morning"; "Bali Hai", and a few others.

I watched "THE KING AND I" Sunday evening, and it was a pleasure! Yul Brenner was great, Deborah Kerr was gracious, but steadfast in her role. The Siam version of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was marvelous. This film is a must for anyone's collection!

The King and I for it's color and the waltz scene with the King and Mrs. Anna.

South Pacific for it's incredible message and the amazing visuals.

I've tried to watch Oklahoma several times. Maybe it's because I grew up on a farm in Nebraska, but everytime I try to watch Curly prancing his horse through the field singing "Oh What A Beautiful Morning" I just lose it. That's all folks!

My favorites are:

The King and I

A finer R&H musical has never been written.

State Fair (1962 version)

The 1945 original just doesn't do it for me...it's just too sweet and schmalzy. Plus the '62 version is in Cinemascope, and I'm a sucker for 1960s musicals.

Cinderella (1965 Lesley Ann Warren version)

The Julie Andrews original, which is now available on DVD, is nice for curio value but the Lesley Ann Warren remake is the one I grew up with--for me, there's NO alternative.

I also like South Pacific, because it has some of the most breathtaking photography you'll ever see, but it does get very long.

Have never seen Flower Drum Song.

I dislike...

The Sound of Music and Oklahoma because they're both just too overplayed and overpeformed. Plus Gordon MacRae and every single other Curly I've ever heard on records just grate on my nerves, except for Alfred Drake from the original cast and Nelson Eddy from the 1951 studio recording. Those are the only 2 Curly's I can stand.

Carousel because it just does not work as a film. I would love to see the stage play, and do enjoy the cast album and movie soundtrack but I couldn't even sit all the way through one viewing of the film.

Not really important, but the original State Fair was filmed in 1933 and starred Will Rogers and Janet Gaynor. The 1945 version with Dana Andrews and Jeanne Crain was the first remake. The Pat Boone - Ann Margaret remake was the first version I saw and the one I like best, too.

CharlieT

Yeah, that part I know. Actually the 1933 original is the best of all versions, but I was just speaking in context of the ROdgers and Hammerstein musical film.

Never got to see the '33 version all the way through. Biggest problem is trying to compare a musical remake to a non-musical original. Each one has a different way of approaching the viewer and make subtle (or not so sublte) changes to the story that can affect the effect.

Overall, I feel that Rodgers & Hammerstein represented musicals of the '40s and '50s the way Busby Berkeley did during the late '20s and '30s. They were the best.

Some of the posters here want to tear a film apart to see what makes it tick, but I say "Just entertain me."

CharlieT

I rented Flower Drum Song and watched it last night, so I can comment on it. It is really a fabulous film. Any self respecting musicals fan who hasn't seen it really should. Actually it felt a lot more like an MGM musical rather than Rodgers and Hammerstein. It just seemed so natural--just as I like a movie musical--and not so stagy. As I said, do see it if you get a chance. I will definately be picking up a copy of the original soundtrack when I go to the CD store this weekend!

I don't know what my favorite is though- a toss up between South Pacific- The King & I, and Sound of music.

I don't particularly like the 60's remake of STATE FAIR. Director Jose Ferrer screwed this film up completely. The 1945 film version is sweet nostalgia of a time long gone, one we will never see again. I do not agree that this version is syrupy or sticky. The Boone-Ann-Margret version is blown all out of proportion. With the exception of Alice Faye the film is totally miscast. Although Pat Boone fits the country boy image, he is just okay. In the original "Isn't It Kinda Fun" is a charming number sung by Dick Haymes and Vivian Blaine. In the remake the number is **** up and over the top (very 60s dated choreography) by Ann-Margret. Tom Ewell singing to a hog is a low point. Its hard for me to watch this version. I do love the Janet Gaynor, Will Rogers version and hopefully it will find its way onto DVD in the future.

My favorite R&H films are CAROUSEL and THE KING AND I.

I was watching a biography of Janet Leigh this morning on A&E and she talked about Rodgers and Hammerstein wanting her to come to New York and star in their musical Pipe Dream. Does anyone know if she ended up doing that? It seemed unclear from the bio.This would've been when she was married to Tony Curtis.

Sandy K

To me the best musicals are definitely R&H, close seconds are My Fair Lady and Flower Drum Song. R&H have a lot of chorus numbers in their shows. Did they do Showboat? That seems like it would be a R&H. None of the other musicals have the same ooomph that they have, They always start out with a rousing number, and keep the pace up all through the show. I can't stand the new so-called musicals like Chicago, and Moulin Rouge. The music is straight off the radio, aren't there any musical composers any more? What am I saying, of course not, they don't offer music, composition or otherwise in schools anymore, so where are people supposed to learn it? I guess they have no choice but to steal from the top 40 or old standards.

Anne