Sign in to follow this  
ladymoviebuff

Rodgers & Hammerstein

67 posts in this topic

I thought there was only one version of the movie Oklahoma -

the one with Shirley Jones and Gordon McRae. I haven't seen any other

version.

She's got me confused too, SueSue, unless she's being cagey, then there would technically be three - the movie, the stage play, and the State.

Anne

Sue2, they filmed OKLAHOMA! twice. Once in 70MM Todd-A0, and once in 35MM Cinemascope. Two different takes. Some of the scenes have different set-ups, and they have slightly different orchestrations, due to the enhanced stereophonic soundtrack of the Todd-AO print. Unfortunately, the Todd-AO print has apparently deteriorated over the years. The finest home video version of the Todd-AO print, is the laserdisc. The latest DVD release includes both versions; but the Cinemascope version looks better. Of course, it shouldn't. Todd-AO was a much better film process.

Thank you for the explanation , johnm.

I start gittin' reel flustrated about the third time I has to ask fer the

same thing.

Shucks, yawl.

I thought Gloria Grahame was excellent in her secondary role, and it made me

wish she had done more comedies.

Yes, me too. I know that at the time, it was sort of a big deal that she was doing that role, because it was "so different" for her. But, frankly, I think she's just as good at comedy (perhaps better), than the roles she was famous for doing. Her role in OKLAHOMA! is probably more well-known today, than any other. People seeing her in something like THE BIG HEAT, might find that strange.

Funny how I knew that your "huh?" meant you didn't know the explanation for the 2 versions, but the person you were responding to had no clue. Really odd, isn't it?