GregoryPeckfan

Canadiana-Trivia About Canadians in Movies

412 posts in this topic

Hello, I thought that I've been on the games and trivia forum long enough to start a thread.  I'm Canadian, and thought I'd start a trivia thread about Canadian movie artists.  Whether they have always been Canadian, were born in Canada, or were born in other countries and later became a Canadian citizen, these all qualify for this category. 

I'll start with the first question:

What actor born in Montreal in the year 1931 moved to Ontario to perform at the Royal Shakespeare Company before moving to Hollywood in movies and later television is a Canadian who has never gotten American citizenship?

What Canadian actor, born in Edmonton in 1971, moved to the U.S. to star in a soap opera, before becoming a cult favorite for a specific sci-fi character on both the big and small screen?

That's right, GPF! Nathan Fillion, currently the star of TV's "Castle", is best known for playing Captain Mal Reynolds in the TV show "Firefly" and the film Serenity.

Your turn.

Okay, Lawrence.

Here is one that I think most people of any age would know:

Which Canadian actor was an  army brat, grew up in Burnaby, played an ultra-conservative son to liberal parents on a television show before becoming a movie actor has made people worldwide aware of a disease because he has that disease? 

Yes, Swithin.

Michael J. Fox starred as Alex P. Keaton on Family Ties in the 1980s and starred opposite Christopher Lloyd in the Back to the Future Films.  Mr. Fox has raised awareness and money for research into Parkinson's Disease.

Your thread.

This Canadian actor of stage, screen, and Canadian television was born in British Columbia. He won a Tony Award for Best Actor in a musical for a role which, in its non-musical version, won another actor an Oscar. He played a role in drag in (IMHO) one of the best gay-themed films ever. He has played two seminal Jewish characters on stage, one on Broadway; another in Stratford, Ontario, as well as appearing in Shakespeare's plays. Who is this versatile Canadian actor? 

• Like 1

I'm still not sure, but is it Christopher Plummer or Brent Carver? They are both Canadian (Plummer from Toronto, Carver from Cranbrook BC), they both won Tonys for Musical roles (Plummer in Cyrano, Carver in Kiss of the Spider Woman) that also won actors Oscars for non-musical versions (Jose Ferrer in Cyrano de Bergerac, William Hurt in Kiss of the Spider Woman), and they were both in gay-themed films (Plummer in Beginners, Carver in Lilies). However, while I've seen the Plummer film, I don't recall him being in drag, and I have not seen the Carver film to know if he is or not in drag.

Or is it someone else all together?

I'm still not sure, but is it Christopher Plummer or Brent Carver? They are both Canadian (Plummer from Toronto, Carver from Cranbrook BC), they both won Tonys for Musical roles (Plummer in Cyrano, Carver in Kiss of the Spider Woman) that also won actors Oscars for non-musical versions (Jose Ferrer in Cyrano de Bergerac, William Hurt in Kiss of the Spider Woman), and they were both in gay-themed films (Plummer in Beginners, Carver in Lilies). However, while I've seen the Plummer film, I don't recall him being in drag, and I have not seen the Carver film to know if he is or not in drag.

Or is it someone else all together?

Bravo, Larry, it is Brent Carver. He is in drag in Lilies (Les Feluettes). His Jewish roles include Leo Frank in Parade in New York (Lincoln Center Theater); and Tevye in Stratford. He actually appeared with Christopher Plummer at Lincoln Center in King Lear, with Plummer as Lear and Carver as Edgar. I met Carver and worked with him on a project -- lovely, talented man. You must see Lilies, one of the great gay-themed films, and most unusual.

And this is your thread.

• Like 1

Which actor born to two Canadian actors was actually born in England while his father was making a World War II movie starring Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson?  The movie debuted in 1967.

Keifer Sutherland, son of Donald, while THE DIRTY DOZEN was filming?

Yes.  His mother is Shirley Douglas, a Canadian actress.  It was while watching his mother on stage when he realized that he had forgotten that she was his mother during the performance that he decided to follow his parents' career.

His grandfather on his mother's side was Tommy Douglas, the father of Canada's public health care system. 

Since you left this as an open thread, I will post the next question as well and then check back tomorrow.

• Like 1

Which Canadian born actress was one of the earliest movie stars to be part of an independent production company with fellow artists?

Hint: Silent Screen era

This actor lived to be about 11 dog years and for many years had a turkey connection.

11 dog years, huh?  I'll have to figure out the math here as this point is stumping me.

67 is close, there is some wiggle room in conversion.  You can add a few years on.

The clues are more in the animal references.