Sign in to follow this  
inglis

Zorba The Greek

9 posts in this topic

I watched this movie last night and there is a scene where all the village people are jeering and throwing stones at this woman .I think it was Irene Pappas but i missed why she got her throat cut and why they were stoning her. Did anybody else watch it, and what do you think of Anthony Quinn?

I think they were persecuting her because she is a widow.(yes.. Irene Pappas) Maybe they do that in Crete. Anthony Quinn is great, love all of his performances,great actor.

vallo

Take your pick: they were angry that the widow chose Basil the Englishman instead of one of their own; or they were punishing her for **** with Basil. I would have to choose the first.

I haven't seen it for awhile, but from what I gathered, it was because she was a widow and turned her nose up at everyone from the town. In a small old world town such as that, you went through your period of mourning and then remarried. She refused to give up the memory of her husband. There was one eligible young man in the town who wanted to marry her, and a crazy man who idolized her and followed her everywhere. When Alan Bates came to town, it kindled something inside her, and they eventually had an affair. The young man in town found out about the affair and killed himself. This caused tremendous resentment within the town. So, at the young man's funeral, the town took it upon themselves to punish her. The ring leader was that tall blonde guy, the young man's brother, who finally gave his friend the go ahead to kill her. The crazy guy went crazy!

The scene has always bothered me. Anthony Quinn should have stayed close by her when leading her out of the mob. Because he left her behind she was easy picking's for anyone! But, I try to justify it in my mind because he was really not too bright, or sophisticated, or whatever you want to call it. I call it just plain carelessness!

Anthony Quinn played the role perfectly.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the suicide. I haven't seen it straight through in years, and just remembered that everyone in town wanted her. I must watch it next time on.

It is powerful! But, so sad. I forgot to add that Quinn's love interest, Lila Kedrova, dies at the end. She won Best Supporting.

Kedrova deserved it. I loved the scene where she was telling Quinn and Bates about her lovers during the war and Bates starting laughing. And I like 'em sad! If I don't shed at least a tear or two, the filmmaker has failed me.

Thank you for you insight as well as the others I had fallen asleep as I often do with the late shows and so did not really know what was going on .I had not seen this movie in years . There was another one that I watched that I found sad .I think it is him and his wife are circus performers and he got into a scrap with some guy and killed him and his wife has a breakdown and he leaves her at the side of the road . It was really dark for me but the acting was wow!