Sign in to follow this  
GregoryPeckfan

AFI Top 100 Movies Page

22 posts in this topic

I have watched all but a few. I feel no inclination to watch those I have not watched because I know sufficiently of them to know that they are not to my taste.

• Like 1

I have watched all but a few. I feel no inclination to watch those I have not watched because I know sufficiently of them to know that they are not to my taste.

Same thing with most of the movies I have not seen. 

Has anybody here seen the top 100 films designated by Sight and Sound?

it has a decidedly international flavor. Still Hollywood films are well represented in the top 10 - -

1) Ozu-- Tokyo story

2) 2001:Space Odyssey

3) Citizen Kane

4) 8 1/2

5) taxi driver

6) Apocalypse Now

7) vertigo

8) The Godfather

9)Tarkovsky--Mirror

10) The Bicycle Thief

Throughout the list you see many of the same films as the AFI list by Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, Coppola, Scorsese etc.

But I was sorry to see that the only musical they listed that I could find was Singing in the Rain.

you might have to google the list because my tablet does not allow pop ups.

• Like 2

Hey GregoryPeck fan....thanks for sharing the link....just got through going through the table..this is what I thought was the most interesting stuff.

1. On the actor side: James Stewart, Robert DeNiro and Harrison Ford lead the way with 5 movies on the Top 100.  Dustin Hoffman, Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart and Robert Duvall have 4 movies.
  2. On the actress side: Katharine Hepburn leads the way with 3 movies in the Top 100.  Meryl Streep, Vivien Leigh, Marilyn Monroe, Jodie Foster, Grace Kelly and Natalie Wood have 2 movies.
  3. On the director side:  Steven Spielberg leads the way with 5 movies in the Top 100.  Stanley Kubrick, Billy Wilder and Alfred Hitchcock have 4 movies .
  4. The average adjusted domestic box office gross for the Top 100 AFI movies is $368.60 million.
  5. 73 of the AFI Top 100 movies were nominated for a Best Picture Oscar® nomination. 28 of the AFI Top Movies won the Best Picture Oscar®.
  6. Overall the AFI Top 100 movies earned 648 Oscar® nominations…winning 265 Oscar®.
  7. When looking at the lowest scoring movies according to critics and audiences there are a few surprises. Nashville was the worst reviewed AFI Top 100 movie (not too surprising) but Titanic as the 2nd worst movie and Forrest Gump as the 3rd worst movie by critics and audiences.
  8. The average critic/audience rating is 88.50%….according to RottenTomatoes.com…..60% is the gold standard for a good movie.
  • Like 3

For what it's worth (not much, really) I've seen 'em all.

But as I've said before, lists as such, don't do much for me. What would make that Top 100 list a lot more interesting is a brief explanation of how and why each film made the list (other than compiled from other lists.)

Have to say,I was surprised to see something like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ranked at number 2. Really? The second best movie of all time?? I do like this film, in fact, I think it's really good. And yeah, it would probably rate somewhere on my own personal top 100 list. But second? I don't think I'd even put it in the Top 10.

As for Lawrence of Arabia, I have sworn eternal enmity to this looong not particularly interesting epic. I can only take so much of Peter O'Toole staring nobly into  the desert.

• Like 1

Hey misswonderly3....statistically One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest has it all.....it was a monster hit...87th biggest hit of all-time when looking at adjusted grosses.....got great reviews from critics.....loved by audiences....and then it became the 2nd movie ever to win all the big Oscars...joining It Happened One Night.  Not many movies can make that claim.  Actually of the 26,000 movies in my database that look at those three categories....only the Godfather has better overall numbers. 

Hey misswonderly3....statistically One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest has it all.....it was a monster hit...87th biggest hit of all-time when looking at adjusted grosses.....got great reviews from critics.....loved by audiences....and then it became the 2nd movie ever to win all the big Oscars...joining It Happened One Night.  Not many movies can make that claim.  Actually of the 26,000 movies in my database that look at those three categories....only the Godfather has better overall numbers. 

Thanks for the info, CMR. I understand "where you're coming from" with that data you cite about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

However, none of that stuff has the slightest influence on me, on my own personal opinion of a movie. I don't mean this in a rude way, but I couldn't care less about Oscar noms or wins, how much the film grossed, etc.

I must admit, when I clicked the link to your site I just read the list, not all the explanatory writing that preceded it. So maybe I missed out on your criteria for what makes the list and where the films rank on it. I should go back and read that part.

Anyway, for me, stats such as overall popularity, how much money was made, Oscars and other awards, etc. etc. don't matter whatsoever as far as influencing my personal rating of and interest in a film. Sometimes movies that made lots of money leave me cold, sometimes a really obscure film is the one that I remember years after I've seen it, sometimes a really commercial "mainstream" movie is one I love (I'm not a movie snob who refuses to even consider so-called commercial films, that doesn't play into my rating of the film any more than if it's some "indie" film waiting to be discovered....)

Although, with the aforementioned exception of Lawrence of Arabia, I think all of the films in the top 10 are great, the only two I'd keep in  the top 10 ranking are The Godfather (part 1) and Casablanca.  (That's right, I don't put Gone with the Wind up there, gasp!)

Sight and Sound picked two movies diminished by their severely tedious third acts as their top two movies?

And they've got similarly-diminished Vertigo in their top 10?

• Like 1

Hey misswonderly3.....point taken.  The way I set up the massive table is way that you can look at these all-time greats in different ways.

The AFI Top 5: #1 Citizen Kane #2 The Godfather #3 Casablanca #4 Raging Bull #5 Singin' In The Rain

By Box Office Results: #1 Gone With The Wind #2 Star Wars #3 Sound of Music #4 ET #5 Titanic

By Critic and Audience Reviews: #1 The Godfather #2 Casablanca #3 Schlinder's List #4 Rear Window #5 Godfather 2

By Oscar Awards:  #1 Titanic #2 Ben-Hur #3 West Side Story #4 Tied  Gone With The Wind, Cabaret & On The Waterfront

By My UMR Score:  #1 The Godfather #2 One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest #3 Lawrence of Arabia #4 Schindler's List #5 Godfather 2

My Personal Top 5: #1 The Bridge on the River Kwai  #2 Raiders of the Lost Ark #3 To Kill a Mockingbird #4 The Philadelphia Story #5 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

There is no right answer or wrong answer...it is just a different way to look at these great movies.

Thanks for the feedback....it is greatly appreciated.....PS.  It is not coming across rude....just glad you checked out my site.  I have not done a page on Mary Astor....but one is coming soon.

• Like 1

Hey Fedya....I always shake my head when I see the latest Sight and Sound list come out.  They seem to go out of there way to include movies that most people have never heard of.....it is like they are saying they are smarter than everbody else because they think La Règle Du Jeu is one of the greatest movies ever made.  I am a huge fan of movies....but I have never even heard of it before I looked up their list while typing this comment.

CMR-- Orson Welles wrote an article about Jean Renoir who directed La Règle du jeu. "Jean Renoir: The Greatest of All Directors".

I guess Orson Welles had seen that movie that you never heard of.

• Like 2

CMR-- Orson Welles wrote an article about Jean Renoir who directed La Règle du jeu. "Jean Renoir: The Greatest of All Directors".

I guess Orson Welles had seen that movie that you never heard of.

Yes, I have the dvd on my shelf, so some real, actual people like those movies too.

:)

Hey Fedya....I always shake my head when I see the latest Sight and Sound list come out.  They seem to go out of there way to include movies that most people have never heard of.....it is like they are saying they are smarter than everbody else because they think La Règle Du Jeu is one of the greatest movies ever made.  I am a huge fan of movies....but I have never even heard of it before I looked up their list while typing this comment.

This reminds me of your telling me about how your mother-in-law requested a Clark Gable page 5 years ago and you thought that NO ONE  would want to read a Gable page and low and behold, classic pages are your most popular.

You just have to remind yourself-

there is a reason why in the tally count race you tend to be behind me and Steve in classic categories while I've seen a low percentage of anything made this century, etc.

Email me privately and let me know the subject of your next UMR page and when you plan to publish it as  I am going to likely try to avoid the internet as much as possible tomorrow and I like to try to be the first comment on your new classic pages.

Some of my favorite movies are considered good films while others are mostly loathed and/or unseen by the thronged masses. 

Movies like JAWS, THE MALTESE FALCON, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, IN HEAT OF THE NIGHT and BULLITT are among my all-time favorites and are well-regarded features while GAS (apparently universally loathed by all others who've seen it), SCAVENGER HUNT, WACKO, EVILSPEAK, THE POSSESSION OF VIRGINIA (original French-Canadian title:  "Le Diable est Parmi Nous") are unknown or un-liked.

SHAMELESS ♣PLUG♣ for a movie I'm very fond of:  "The Man Who Had Power Over Women" (1970).  It stars Rod Taylor, Carol White, James Booth, Charles Korvin, Penelope Horner, Keith Barron, Clive Francis, Magali Noel and Alexandra Stewart.  I don't know anyone else who has ever seen it so I can't talk about it with anyone to compare opinions.  But I like it quite a lot.  There's a mad scene in the film where a character gets killed by a truck carrying toilets.  It's not played for comedy.  (EDIT:  I just noticed that someone had uploaded the "DEATH BY TOILETS!!!" scene to YouTube.  It runs 38 seconds). 

Honorable mention goes to ONE-WAY PASSAGE (1932).  One of the very few romance-oriented movies that made my innards sad . . . at the end when the little toasting glasses broke at the bar.  I thought the 1940 remake was an alright movie overall (having watched it on TCM), but the 'glasses breaking' moment at the end had no resonance with me whatsoever.  I felt nothing.  Hiss!  Stick with the '32 movie.

I've tried to watch EASY RIDER twice and found it very un-involving, including on TCM recently.  I didn't finish watching either time so I've yet to see the last part of the movie, although I reckon I know what happens at the end.  ♠ I wouldn't put this movie in my Top 750 films of all time. ♠   

2001:  A SPACE ODYSSEY doesn't rate in my Top 100.  I don't hate the movie, but it's boooooring.  I swear I'd need a B-12 shot to stay awake should I fancy watching it again.  If someone were to tell me they loved "2001" and watched it frequently I would simply not believe them; I may not call such person a liar, but I'd be thinking it.  I liked Kubrick's 1980 movie THE SHINING, which is very slowly-paced, because I found it interesting.  That's my issue with "2001".  I don't find it interesting enough to spend my time watching it and trying to stay focused on the film while doing so.  I need a NO-DOZ!   

------------------------------------------------

For all the films I've watched over the past 4 decades (BAD GRAMMAR ALERT!) the singular most screwiest 'Happy Ending' I've seen comes from the 1978 low-budget teen-oriented flick SUMMER SCHOOL.  The original title was "MAG WHEELS", btw.  Directed by Bethel Buckalew.  I wrote a review of this movie on the IMDb as the ending so moved me to put fingers to keypad.   And that darned catchy 'ANITA Song' by garage band THE WORD . . .          

------------------------------------------------

I need to watch both versions of 'THE BIG SLEEP' sometime.   

If you combine the talents of Gene Kelly and Sidney Poitier you get "SINGIN' IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT". 

I've never seen TITANIC, but I have watched via TCM and thoroughly enjoyed the 1958 British movie "A Night to Remember".  I reckon I'd rather watch it again than see James Cameron's TITANIC once. 

I've never seen GONE WITH THE WIND, THE GODFATHER, SCHINDLER'S LIST or WEST SIDE STORY.  Maybe I'll give them a go sometime.  Haven't decided yet.  I've never seen CABARET, but it just doesn't interest me in the least so it's a 'no-go'.   I'd rather watch the 1977 movie 'OUTRAGEOUS!' instead. 

I've never seen -- in their entirety -- these flix:  THE SOUND OF MUSIC, BEN-HUR, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.  I probably never will.  I can get through DOCTOR ZHIVAGO.  I didn't think I could, but I did watch it once in its entirety.  I think I could watch DOC Z again sometime, but it's a less-than-1% chance of me watching fully THE SOUND OF MUCUS, BEN-HERD or LAWRENCE OF UPPER SADDLE RIVER.   

My apologies for being so wordy; I was offline from Dec. 24 thru Feb. 26 and my typing hands are itching to go!           

• Like 3

Hey Princess of Tap.....I know many people like The Rules of the Game....when I did a quick check on the Sight Sound list La Règle Du Jeu popped up....and I did not know that was French for Rules of the Game.  Feel pretty dumb...especially since it turns out that I have seen La Règle Du Jeu.

Hey Lawrence A....glad you are a fan of La Règle Du Jeu...I still like the AFI list more than the Sight and Sound list.

Hey GregoryPeckfan.....will do.....I know your Oscar boycott is about to start....not thinking any new stuff will happen tomorrow...we are having our 16th Annual Oscar party tomorrow night....so I am not seeing much time for the internet myself.

Hey Mr. Gorman.....I love your comment....I would like to include on my page on my website..if that is ok with you.  I will have to check some of the movies you mentioned....you make them sound interesting for sure.  I agree with you 100% about Easy Rider.  I saw Night To Remember just last year...it made my Top 10 for the year....and I watched over 600 movies in 2015.  Far outshines Titanic.  Glad you itching hands were ready to go.

Hey Princess of Tap.....I know many people like The Rules of the Game....when I did a quick check on the Sight Sound list La Règle Du Jeu popped up....and I did not know that was French for Rules of the Game.  Feel pretty dumb...especially since it turns out that I have seen La Règle Du Jeu.

Hey Lawrence A....glad you are a fan of La Règle Du Jeu...I still like the AFI list more than the Sight and Sound list.

Hey GregoryPeckfan.....will do.....I know your Oscar boycott is about to start....not thinking any new stuff will happen tomorrow...we are having our 16th Annual Oscar party tomorrow night....so I am not seeing much time for the internet myself.

Hey Mr. Gorman.....I love your comment....I would like to include on my page on my website..if that is ok with you.  I will have to check some of the movies you mentioned....you make them sound interesting for sure.  I agree with you 100% about Easy Rider.  I saw Night To Remember just last year...it made my Top 10 for the year....and I watched over 600 movies in 2015.  Far outshines Titanic.  Glad you itching hands were ready to go.

Hey, I'd still watch them if they had lifetime achievement awards on their main ceremony.

If I could guess what time the memorial tribute would be airing, I would be able to watch that section only.

I'm having bigger problems than usual this year, because there is a boycott this year and if I don't watch it then it might seem like I was being political about it.

But I only care about older era artists.

Hopefully, Stallone will win.

CMR:  If you'd like to use some of my post on your website/webpage be my guest.  Cheers.

I finally caught ON THE WATERFRONT on TCM earlier this month.  I'd watch it again.  

Also, maybe TCM should air the 1978 Columbia disco comedy "THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY".  It may be a bad movie, but I believe it won an Oscar for 'Best Song' (or some such).  I think it was a Donna Summer tune that afforded TGIF it's Oscar.

I won't be watching the Oscars tomorrow night.  Watching 3 hours of mine sweeping by a naval destroyer would be more rewarding.       

• Like 2

Princess of Tap:

I've seen several of Jean Renoir's films and consider him a good director. But I wouldn't use Orson Welles' recommendation as a yardstick. When I heard his conversations with Henry Jaglom I realized even more just what a pompous egomaniac Welles was.

• Like 2

Mr.Gorman--welcome back! 

A question--is the movie you mentioned GASssss (1976)?  I saw that ten or more years ago, & agree with your comment.

Read the book "The Shining" (1978?) by Stephen King sometime; book is faster moving than the movie (1980).  Kubrick didn't fully understand horror movies, and that's part of what's wrong with it, IMHO--although the glacial pacing is a BIG problem (as it was in "Barry Lyndon" (1975).

LOVE the nicknames for the "epics"!  We share the same one for "The Sound of Music. :D  :D

• Like 1

film lover 293:  Greetings.  The movie I'm referring to is the 1981 Canadian-made comedy 'GAS'.  It's supposed to take place in an average American town, but it was filmed in Canada.  Probably Montreal and Toronto.  Stars Susan Anspach, Howie Mandel, Sterling Hayden, Paul Kelman, Michael Hogan, Sandee Currie, Peter Aykroyd (Dan's brother), Keith Knight, Helen Shaver, Alf Humphreys, Philip Akin and Carl Marotte.

Sterling Hayden is 'Duke Stuyvesant', who's got plans to drive up the price of gas by illegally keeping millions of gallons off the market.  Susan Anspach is the newswoman who's hot on his trail.  Every single review I've ever read for 'GAS' is -negative-, but yet it makes me laugh out loud every time I watch it. 

►There are some lines of dialogue in this movie that are unfathomable, such as when Peter Aykroyd tells off Howie Mandel on the telephone.  He says to Howie "I'll rip your face off, remove your face and replace it with a black hose.  Know what I mean, pal?" 

Later in the movie when Uncle Leo "Moo Juice" Vespucci pulls up to a gang of Hare Krishnas:

UNCLE LEO:  "Hey, did you see a flower car go by?"

KRISHNA:  "Flowers?  Lord Krishna gives them to us as an expression of his consciousness".

UNCLE LEO (brandishing a dead fish he's been carrying around):  "How would you like to see Lord Krishna's face, eh?"     

Paramount Home Video released 'GAS' on VHS, but it's never been put out on DVD.  I saw it when I was 9 back in 1982 on cable.  I never saw it again until I bought myself a new Paramount tape in the '90s.   

I figure no even remotely connected with the AFI has seen this film.    :P

• Like 1