Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

" The Witch" (2016)

7 posts in this topic

A well crafted period horror film that Val Lewton might have produced - some chilling moments but the movie never becomes as terrifying as it might have been.

• Like 2

My problem is that ending seemed a bit predictable- yes there are some real chills here - but I think it needed different face out.

A well crafted period horror film that Val Lewton might have produced - some chilling moments but the movie never becomes as terrifying as it might have been.

I agree.  I would have liked an ambiguous ending.  Then again, one can interpret the ending any way one wants.  Still, it's one of the better crafted horror pictures I've seen in quite some time. Will it be a horror classic, like It Follows?  I don't know.

Wonderfully crafted film.  The way you just started without opening credits, the cinematography, the speech patterns - quite wonderful.  Such a feeling of desolation, isolation and fear.  I was fine with the ending.  One of the better horror films this year.

• Like 1

The Witch has been nominated for 2 Independent Spirit Awards. The nominations include Best First Feature and Best First Screenplay.

• Like 1

The Witch has been nominated for 2 Independent Spirit Awards. The nominations include Best First Feature and Best First Screenplay.

I would have nominated for a couple of acting awards