Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

1,027 posts in this topic

I thank you, Fernando My aim has always been the movies and the stars, as it should be.

I do recall welcoming you on board, and you and I have had some good rapport, especially on the Trivia thread.

And as Larry mentioned, you have since been an essential addition to the boards, especially with your reports on your love for films.

It has indeed been a good run, my gentleman friend.

<<Happy Birthday dear Martha Scott and Paul Muni. Good to remember lovely Marion Davies (I'm a super fan of her now that I've watched some of her films) and alluring Dorothy Lamour.>>

On his birthday, I used to take flowers to Paul Muni's grave (at Hollywood Forever Cemetary). Peter Lorre, also. I'm on the East Coast, now and can't do it this year. The Muni fest is a nice alternative. Although, I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang is my favorite of his performances.

chain_dvd.jpg

and my hat's tipped to Mr. Mongo, also. Thanks for all your work. I've learned and laughed.

I appreciate it, oobleckboy. You have also become an important member to the boards. Keep up the good work.

Born this day September 23rd:

Co-star/support Elizabeth Pena is 45.

Dependable Latino actress from New Jersey, in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills", "LaBamba", "Vibes", "Jacob's Ladder", "Lone Star" good role, "Rush Hour", "Transamerica", "The Lost City", etc.

Married since 1994 (2 children). Also on TV.

Co-star/support Jason Alexander is 47.

Hefty comedic actor, remembered as George on the hit TV series "Seinfeld". In "Brighton Beach Memoirs", "Pretty Woman", "Jacob's Ladder", "Sexual Healing", "Coneheads", "Love! Valour! Compassion!" good role, "Shallow Hal", etc.

Maried since 1981 (2 sons). Began losing his hair at age 16. A Tony Award winner for his stage work. Nominated for 7 Emmy Awards and 4 Golden Globe Awards, without a single win. Also a producer and director.

Co-star/support Mary Kay Place is 59.

Bubbly blonde actress, remembered as Loretta on the TV series "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" (won an Emmy Award). In "New York, New York", "Starting Over", "Private Benjamin", "The Big Chill" as Meg, "Baby Boom", "****", "Being John Malkovich", "Girl, Interrupted", "Sweet Home Alabama", etc.

Recorded 2 music albums. On the HBO series "Big Love".

Co-star/support Paul Petersen is 61.

Former child actor, remembered as Jeff on TVs "The Donna Reed Show". In "This Could Be the Night", "Houseboat", "The Happiest Millionaire", "A Time for Killing" etc.

Married 3 times (2 children). Also has a daughter from a brief affair. Was a member of "The Mickey Mouse Club", and got fired.

His biggest accomplishment to date, however, has been to give back selflessly to an industry that unceremoniously dumped him. In essence, 'A Minor Consideration' is an outreach organization that oversees the emotional, financial and legal protection of kids and former kids in show business.

Lead/co-star John Ericson is 80.

Blond-haired, serious-looking actor, in "Teresa", "Rhapsody", "The Student Prince", "Green Fire", "Bad Day at Black Rock", "The Cruel Tower", "Pretty Boy Floyd" title role, "The Bamboo Saucer", "Hustler Squard", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Last on screen in 1989. Is reported to be living in Mexico.

Supporting player Margaret Pellegrini is 83.

Delightful dwarf member of the 1939 classic "The Wizard of Oz". She is the girl in the flowerpot hat and also a sleepyhead. Also in "Johnny Got His Gun".

Widowed (2 children). She received $50 a weeek for her work in "Oz".

Lead/co-star Mickey Rooney is 86 today.

Diminutive dynamo and former child star, Oscar nominated best actor for "Babes in Arms", "The Human Comedy", and for best support in "The Bold and the Brave", and "The Black Stallion", a film he is proud of. He scored in the "Mickey McGuire" comedy shorts and especially in the "Andy Hardy" movie series.

Also in "Manhattan Melodrama", "Reckless", "A Midsummer Nights Dream", "Riffraff", "Captain's Courageous", "Boys Town", "Young Tom Edison", "Strike Up the Band" w/favorite co-star Judy Garland, "National velvet", "Killer McCoy", "Quicksand", "The Fireball", "Baby Face Nelson", "The Last Mile", "Breakfast at Tiffany's", etc.

His 8 wives included Ava Gardner and Martha Vickers. Son of vaudevillain Joe Yule. A Tony Award nominee for "Sugar Babies", he also appeared on numerous TV shows (won Emmy for his role as the **** man "Bill"). Upon winning his lifetime achievement Oscar, 1983: "Tonight, I could even kiss Louis B. Mayer!"

Birthday wishes go out to TCM board members Brackenhe and Keithfromkc today. Where are you guys?

Posthumous

Co-star/support Scott Newman (28) 1950-1978.

Capable, promising actor, in "The Towering Inferno", "The Great Waldo Pepper", "Breakheart Pass", 'Fraternity Row" good role, etc.

Son of Paul Newman from his first marriage. Sadly, he committed suicide.

Lead/co-star Romy Schneider (43) 1938-1982.

Lovely German actress, in "Purple Noon", Christine" (no, not that "Christine"), "Boccaccio '70", "The Victors" good role in a good war drama, "The Cardinal" (Golden Globe nominee), "Good Neighbor Sam", "What's New Pussycat", "Deathwatch", etc.

Maried twice (2 children). Once engaged to Alain Delon. In numerous foreign films. She never overcame the loss of her son. She suffered from depressions after his death resulting in an alcohol problem, and possibly suicide.

Lead/co-star Walter Pidgeon (87) 1897-1984.

Tall, handsome movie star, with a rich voice. Oscar nominated best actor for "Mrs. Miniver", and "Madame Curie" both with frequent co-star Greer Garson. In "Saratoga", "The Shopworn Angel", "Man Hunt", "Blossoms in the Dust", "How Green Was My Valley", "White Cargo", "Mrs. parkington", "Week-End at the Waldorf", "Million Dollar Mermaid", "The Bad and the Beautiful", "Executive Suite", "Advise and Consent", "Funny Girl", "Sextette", etc.

Married twice (1 daughter). His first wife died in childbirth, his second marriage lasted over 50 years. A Tony Award nominee. [On Hollywood] "It was like an expensive, beautifully-run fan club. You didn't need to carry money. Your face was your credit card - all over the world." His body donated to UCLA Medical School, Los Angeles, California, USA.

In memory of those who died this day September 23rd:

Handsome Alaskan actor Mala in 1952 at age 45, rotund character actor Billy House in 1961 at age 71, the 'sneeze' king Billy Gilbert in 1971 at age 77, Cliff Arquette aka Charlie Weaver in 1974 at age 68, splendid actor Ian Hunter in 1975 at age 75, cowboy star Jimmy Wakely in 1982 at age 68, choreographer, dancer, actor, director Bob Fosse in 1987 at age 60, and screenwriter Robert Bloch in 1994 at age 77.

Mongo

Hey Mongo, hear, hear on the well-deserved praise from our fellow posters. You always give me something interesting & civilized to check out on my visits here.

I'm very appreciative that Walter Pidgeon is being remembered here. He was, not to be too blunt, dreamy, (lol). An amusing story that I came across related to the time that Pidgeon was being interviewed for a possible contract by none other than L.B. Mayer. Louis, asking where he was from, exploded in anger when Pidgeon explained that he was originally from St. John in New Brunswick, Canada. The suspicious Mayer shouted that someone had put him up to it to say that, since "everyone knew" that Mayer had started as a junk man's son, wandering the alleys of the town, honing his street smarts and looking for salvage, from a very young age in that very community.

After a very patient and nonplussed Pidgeon explained that he really was a native son, and being grilled by Mayer for detailed info about streets and landmarks that only a citizen might know, Mayer finally relented, believed the actor, and eventually signed him to that long term contract that became Pidgeon's "ticket to ride" at MGM for decades. Too bad that, even though the work was always steady for him at his home studio, Pidgeon had to go to 20th Century Fox to do his best work in my faves of his many films, both from Pidgeon's annus mirabilis, 1941: Man Hunt [Fritz Lang-director] & How Green Was My Valley [John Ford-director].

A trained baritone at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston, I've enjoyed his speaking voice enormously, though I've only heard him sing, (very briefly) in the Ruth Chatterton mystery-weepie Journal of a Crime. Interestingly, he must've been pretty dang good, since he was nominated in 1960 for a Tony award for his performance in the musical version of Eugene O'Neill's "Ah, Wilderness", called "Take Me Along". Has anyone else heard him sing in other movies?

My fondest quote of Mr. Pidgeon's: "I was like a kept woman during my twenty-one years at MGM."

It is unfortunate that Elizabeth Pena, at 45 today, has not been more recognized by our movie industry. She is excellent at all her roles, and very chameleon-like in making the viewer believe no matter what part she is playing. Lone Star with Chris Cooper was a very good, non-advertised movie which both stars were shamefully undiscovered in. Even though Chris Cooper has been nominated for academy awards, I doubt many people are aware of who he is, as well as the lovely Ms. Pena.

Thanks, as always, Moria. The dependable Mr. Pidgeon was indeed exceptional in "Man Hunt" and "How Green Was My Valley", two films that I would like to see again.

In real life he certainly was a gent.

I agree with you heidigunn, Miss Pena is a talented, underrated actress. She was outstanding in both "LaBamba" and the exceptional "Lone Star", for which she won a few awards.

She also starred in Showtime's "Resurrection Blvd." as Tia Bibi Corrades and voiced the character Mirage in Pixar's animated film "The Incredibles".

Thanks for the b-day greetings mongo. I changed my screen name a while back and now I can't post from home due to having only dial-up. I'm at my mom's and she has DSL. I lurk all the time but it's probably a good thing I can't post because I'd probably have a lot of people mad at me.

Thanks again--brackenhe

Well, I'll be twitterpated! Brackenhe is actually Helenbaby.

In any event it's good to know that your still with us on the boards. Go get 'em.

Hope your having a Happy Birthday.

Thanks for the kind words Mongo and keep the good work!

And thanks Larry for your compliments, your contributions to these Boards, your one-of-a-kind remembrances, your wit and sophisticated humor have been priceless and a treat for all of us!

Born this day September 24th:

Lead/co-star Nia Vardalos is 44.

Attractive Greek actress, made a splash as the bride-to-be in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (Golden Globe nominee best actress). In "Men Seeking Women" aka "The Bet", "Meet Prince Charming", "Connie and Carla" fun film, etc.

Married since 1993. Is an alumna of 'Second City' TV. Her one-woman play 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' (2002), was turned into a movie after Rita Wilson saw the play and recommended it to her husband Tom Hanks.

Co-star/support Sheila MacRae is 82.

Dependable blonde actress, in "Backfire", "Caged", "Pretty Baby" w/Dennis Morgan, "Bikini Beach", "Sex and the Single Girl", "The Naked Cage", etc.

Divorced from Gordon McRae (4 children including the late Meredith McRae, and Heather McRae). Once involved with Frank Sinatra. Appeared on TVs "The Honeymooners" specials as Trixie. A popular nightclub entertainer, she is author of "Hollywood Mother of the Year," the tell-all story of her life, career and rocky marriage to actor/singer Gordon MacRae.

Lead/co-star Herb Jeffries is 95 today.

Handsome African-American actor and western star, remembered as 'The Bronze Buckaroo'. In "Harlem on the Prairie", "Two Gun Man from Harlem", "Harlem Rides the Range", "Calypso Joe", "Chrome and Hot Leather", "Portrait of a Hit Man", etc.

Of his five wives, he was married to stripper Tempest Storm. Father of singer Fran Jeffries. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Anthony Newley (67) 1931-1999.

Reliable actor/singer, in "Oliver Twist", "The Blue Peter", "The Cockleshell Heroes", "X: The Unknown", "Fire Down Below" w/Rita Hayworth, "Doctor Dolittle", "Sweet November", "Can Heronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?" (yikes!), "The Old Curiosity Shop", etc.

Married 3 times including to Joan Collins. Father of 5 children. His signature song was "What Kind of Fool Am I". Also a composer.

Co-star/support Theresa Merritt (73) 1924-1998.

Delightful, plump African-American character actress. In "They Might Be Giants", "The Goodbye Girl", "The Wiz" as Aunt Emma, "The Great Santini", "All That Jazz", "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas", "The Serpent and the Rainbow", "Billy Madison", etc.

On the TV series "That's My Mama". A Tony Award nominee, she once sang backup for Harry Bellafonte.

Co-star/support Audra Lindley (79) 1918-1997.

Reliable character actress, in "Manpower", "One Foot in Heaven", "The Male Animal", "The Heartbreak Kid", "When You Comin' Back Red Ryder?", "Cannery Row", "Shoot the Moon", etc.

Was married twice including to James Whitmore. Mother of 5 children. Appeared on TVs "Three's Company" (Golden Globe nominee), and "The Ropers".

After taping an episode of "Cybill" (1995), she admitted herself into a hospital as she felt mildly ill. Having been previously diagnosed with leukemia, and doing prescribed treatments, there was no immediate concern for her condition, as she was in high spirits during her stay. It was the following day when she unexpectedly died, and at her beside was the script for the next episode of "Cybill" (1995) in which she recently earned a recurring role.

Co-star/support Phil Hartman (49) 1948-1998.

Superior comedic actor, remembered for his hilarious routines on TVs "Saturday Night Live", for 8 seasons. In "The Gong Show Movie", "Pandemonium", "Weekend Pass", "Pee-wee's Big Adventure", "Last Resort", "Three Amigos!", "Blind Date", "Fletch Lives", "Coneheads", "So I Married an Axe Murderer", "Jingle All the Way", etc.

Married 3 times. On the TV series "News Radio" (Emmy Award nominee).

On May 28th, 1998, Phil was shot to death while sleeping in his Encino, California home by his wife, Brynn Hartman. He was shot three times: in the forearm, neck, and head. Brynn left the house and later came back with a friend to show him the dead body. When her friend went to call 911, Brynn locked herself in the bedroom with Phil's lifeless body and stuck a second gun in her mouth and shot herself. They had 2 children.

Co-star/support Don Porter (84) 1912-1997.

Essential character actor, remembered as the boss of Ann Sothern on the TV series "Private Secretary" and "The Ann Sothern Show". In "Night Monster", "She-Wolf of London", "Cuban Pete", "The Racket", "Because You're Mine", "The Candidate", "40 Carats", "Mame", etc.

Was married for over 50 years (1 daughter). On numerous TV shows including "Gidget".

In memory of those who died this day September 24th:

Producer at Universal Carl Laemmle in 1948 at age 72, stalwart leading man Warren William in 1948 at age 53, reliable character actor Sam McDaniel (Hattie's brother) in 1962 at age 76, singer/actess Ruth Etting in 1978 at age 81, producer at Universal Carl Laemmle Jr. in 1979 at age 71, divine comedic actress Patsy Kelly in 1981 at age 71, British supporting actress Sarah Churchill (Winston's daughter) in 1982 at age 67, dependable actor Neil Hamilton in 1984 at age 85, prolific writer Dr. Seuss in 1991 at age 87, blond-haired 'bad guy' actor Lyle Bettger in 2003 at age 88, and tough guy 'Our Gang' member Tommy Bond in 2005 at age 79.

Mongo

Born this day September 25th:

Lead/co-star Will Smith is 37.

Comedic/action star, Oscar nominated best actor as boxing champ "Ali". Also in "Made in America", "Six Degrees of Separation", "Independence Day", "Enemy of the State", "Men in Black", "Wild Wild West", "The Legend of Bagger Vance", "I Robot", "Hitch", etc.

Married twice including to Jada Pinkett Smith. Father of 3 children. On the TV series "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air". First hip-hop artist to be nominated for an Academy Award. Won a Grammy Award.

Lead/co-star Catherine Zeta-Jones is 37.

Beautiful actress from Austraila, won Oscar best support for the musical "Chicago". In "The Phantom", "The Mask of Zorro", "Entrapment", "The Haunting", "Traffic" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Terminal", "Ocean's Twelve", etc.

Shares a birthday with husband Michael Douglas (2 children). Is a trained singer and dancer.

Lead/co-sta Michael Madsen is 48.

Talented, brawney actor, in "The Natural", "The Doors", "Thelma and Louise", "Resevoir Dogs", "Free Willy", "The Getaway", "Wyatt Earp", "Species", "Donnie Brasco", "Die Another Day", "Kill Bill: Vol. 2", "Blueberry", "Sin City", etc.

Married 3 times (5 children). Brother of Virginia Madsen. His role model is Robert Mitchum. He has numerous films in pre-production.

Lead/co-star Mark Hamill is 55.

Boyish-looking actor, remembered as Luke Skywalker in the series of "Star Wars" films. Also in "Corvette Summer", "Skatetown U.S.A.", "The Big Red One", "Village of the Damned", "Walking Across Egypt", etc.

Married since 1978 (3 children). Was in a serious auto accident, and much of his face had to be completely reconstructed. Also on TV and the stage.

Lead/co-star Michael Douglas is 62.

Exceptional actor, won Oscar best actor for his role in "Wall Street" (also won Golden Globe Award). In "Coma", "The China Syndrome", "Running", "Romancing the Stone", "Fatal Attraction", "Black Rain", "The War of the Roses" (Golden Globe nominee), "Basic Instinct", "Falling Down", "The American President" (Golden Globe nominee), "The Game", "Wonder Boys" (Golden Globe nominee), "Traffic", etc.

Married twice including to Catherine Zeta-Jones. Father of 3 children. Son of Kirk Douglas. Once hot-to-trot with Brenda Vaccaro. On the TV series "The Streets of San Francisco" (Emmy nominee). Won an Oscar for producing "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (a project once owned by his father).

Co-star/support Lee Aaker is 63 today.

Former child actor (blond hair), remembered as Rusty on the TV series "The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin". In "O. Henry's Full House", "Jeopardy" w/Stanwyck, "Take Me to Town" w/Sheridan, "Her Twelve Men" w/Garson, "Destry", "Black Tuesday", "Hondo" w/Wayne, "Bigger Than Life", "Bye Bye Birdie", etc.

Attends Nostalgia Conventions. After show business he became a carpenter.

Was tested for the top boy role in the classic movie "Shane" (1953) and promised the part, but lost it a few days later to the late Brandon De Wilde.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Christopher Reeve (52) 1952-2004.

Tall, handsome actor, the ultimate "Superman". In "Gray Lady Down", "Somewhere in Time", "Deathtrap", "Monsignor", "Street Smart", "Switching Channels", "Noises Off", "The Remains of the Day", "Village of the Damned", etc.

Married 12 years (1 son). Had 2 children from a prior relationship. A Emmy and Golden Globe nominee.

Paralyzed after a horse riding accident, he died suddenly at age 52, after several years of living and working with his severe disability. The ultimate heroe.

Lead/co-star Juliet Prowse (59) 1936-1996.

Lovely actress/singer/dancer with gorgeous gams. In "Can Can", "G.I. Blues" w/Elvis, "The Second Time Around", "Who Killed Teddy Bear", etc.

Married twice (1 son Seth). Once engaged to Frank Sinatra. Has appeared in nightclubs and on the musical stage. On her own TV series "Mona McCluskey".

Lead/co-star Aldo Ray (64) 1926-1991.

Beefy, tough-guy actor with gravelly voice. In "Pat and Mike" (Golden Globe nominee), "Miss Sadie Thompson" w/Hayworth, "Battle Cry", "We're No Angels" w/Bogart, "Men in War", "The Naked and the Dead", "God's Little Acre", "Johnny Nobody", "Sylvia", "What Did You Do in the War Daddy?", "The Violent Ones", "The Green Berets", etc.

Married 3 times (4 children). Divorced from actresss Jeff Donell. Was a frogman in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

In memory of those who died this day Septemeber 25th:

Comedic character actress Helen Broderick (Broderick Crawford's mom) in 1959 at age 68, reliable actor/vaudevillan Frank Fay in 1961 at age 63, prestigous director Lewis Milestone in 1980 at age 84, handsome dapper movie star Walter Pidgeon in 1984 at age 87, essential character actor Emlyn Williams in 1987 at age 81, beautiful movie star Mary Astor in 1987 at age 81, dependable blonde actress Dolores Michaels in 2001 at age 68, comedian Don Adams (Agent 86) in 2005 at age 82.

Mongo

Isn't today also Barbra Walters birthday? I seem to remember Douglas and Zeta-Jones being on The View and they all realized they shared the same day. I know Walters is not an actress, I just thought I would toss that out. But I'm probably wrong, I usually am.

heidigunn, your on the money. TV icon Barbara Walters is 77 today, and looking swell.

Also celebrating birthdays today:

Actor Chris Owen is 26, actor Hal Sparks is 37, actor [b]Tate Donovan is 43[/b], actress Aida Turturro (Janice on 'The Sopranos') is 44 , actress Heather Locklear is 45, actor Colin Friels is 54, actor/director Anson Williams ('Happy Days) is 57, actress Mimi Kennedy is 57, actor Robert Walden is 63, and baseball great Phil Rizzuto is 89.

Born this day September 26th:

Lead/co-star James Caviezel is 38.

Reliable, good-looking actor, made an impact as Jesus in "The Passsion of the Christ". In "Wyatt Earp", "The Rock", The Thin Red Line", "Pay It Forward", "Angel Eyes", "High Crimes", "I AM David", "Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius", etc.

Married since 1997. A devout Catholic, he refuses to do nude scenes. Did some modeling for 'The Gap'.

Lead/co-star Linda Hamilton is 50.

Attractive, edgy actress, kicked butt as Sarah in "The Terminator". In "Children of the Corn", "Black Moon Rising", "A Mother's Prayer", "Dante's Peak", "Skeletons in the Closet", "Missing in America", etc.

Married 3 times including to Peter Horton and "Titanic" director James Cameron. Mother of 2 children. On the TV series "Beauty and the Beast" (Emmy nominee best actress). Frequently portrays women who endure in spite of great hardship or tragedy. You go Girl!

Lead/Co-star Olivia Newton-John is 58.

Lovely blonde actress/singer, in the hit musical "Grease" (Golden Globe nominee), "Xanadu", "Two of a Kind", "It's My Party", "Sordid Lives", etc.

Divorced with one child. Best known as a singer, she has over 25 Top 40 singles, more than half of which went Top 10, including five #1 hits. Underwent surgery for breast cancer. [1992]

On June 30, 2005, her long-time boyfriend, cameraman Patrick McDermott, went missing after going on an overnight fishing trip on a sport fishing vessel out of San Pedro, California. As of August 22, 2005, the U.S. Coast Guard had not located his whereabouts, although it is reported that he has recently been spotted. Hmmmm.

Co-star/support Mary Beth Hurt is 58.

Pretty, diminutive actress, remembered as the wife of Robin Williams in "The World According to Garp", who ended up in a neck brace. In "Interiors", "Parents", "Slaves of New York", "My Boyfriend's Back", "The Age of Innocence", "Affliction", "The Family Man", etc.

Married since 1983 (1 daughter). Divorced from

William Hurt and director Paul Schrader. A Tony Award nominee.

Co-star/support Kent McCord is 64.

Reliable, clean-cut actor, remembered as the partner of Martin Milner on the TV series "Adam-12". In "Jigsaw", "Airplane II", "The Young Warriors", "Predator 2", "Illicit Behavior", With Criminal Intent", 'Woman's Story", etc.

Married since 1962 (3 children). Now silver-haired, he also appeared on TVs "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet".

Co-star/support Philip Bosco is 76 today.

Essential, stocky character actor, in "The Pope of Greenwich Village", "The Money Pit", "Suspect", Trading Places", "Working Girl" as big boss Trask, "Blue Steel", "Angie", "The First Wives Club", "Shaft", etc.

Married since 1957 (7 children). A Tony Award winner.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Julie London (74) 1926-2000.

Sultry actress/singer, in "Nabonga", "The Red House", "Tap Roots", "Task Force", "The Great Man", "Saddle the Wind", "Voice in the Mirror", "Man of the West" w/Gary Cooper, "Night of the Quarter Moon", "The Wonderful Country", etc.

Was married to Jack Webb (2 children) and last to actor Bobby Troup (3 children including twin boys). On TVs "Emergency!" (Golden Globe nominee). Had a best selling record with "Cry Me a River".

Co-star/support Barbara Britton (60) 1919-1980.

Sunny, vavacious actress, remembered as Rosemary in "So Proudly We Hail!". In "Reap the Wild Wind", "Wake Island", "The Story of Dr. Wassell" w/Gary Cooper, "The Virginian", "I Shot Jesse James", "Bwana Devil" in 3-D, etc.

Married 35 years (4 children). On the TV series "Mr. and Mrs. North".

Lead/co-star George Raft (85) 1895-1980.

Slick, tough-guy actor, in "Scarface" (flipping a coin), "Night After Night" w/ pal Mae West, "The Bowery", "Bolero" w/Lombard, "Rumba", "The Bowery", "Souls at Sea", "Each Dawn I Die", "Invisible Stripes", "They Drive by Night", "Manpower" w/Dietrich, "Nob Hill", "Johnny Angel", "Mr. Ace", "Johnny Allegro", "Some Like It Hot" as Spats, "Sextette", etc.

Married twice (1 child). He turned down "High Sierra", "The Maltese Falcon", "Casablanca" and "Double Indemnity" (yikes!). Quoted: "I must have gone through $10 million during my career. Part of the loot went for gambling, part for horses and part for women. The rest I spent foolishly."

Co-star/support Fay Holden (79) 1893-1973.

Gentle-natured character actress, remembered as Mickey Rooney's mom in the "Andy Hardy" film series. Also in "Sweethearts", "Ziegfeld Girl", "Blossoms in the Dust", "H.M. Pulham Esq.", "Samson and Delilah", etc.

Was married to actor David Clyde.

Lead/co-star Antonio Moreno (79) 1887-1967.

Handsome Latino silent film star, played opposite Garbo, Negri, Bow, Swanson, etc. Also in talkies "Seven Sinners" w/Dietrich, "The Spanish Main", "Notorious", "Lust for Gold", "Crisis", "Thunder Bay", "The Searchers", etc.

Married once for 10 years.

Co-star/support Edmund Gwenn (83) 1875-1959.

Essential, endearing character actor, won Oscar best support as Santa Claus in "The Miracle on 34th. Street". Oscar nominated best support for "Mister 880" (won Golden Globe Award). In "Sylvia Scarlett", "Anthony Adverse", "Pride and Prejudice", "The Devil and Miss Jones", "Lassie Come Home", "Between Two Worlds", "Of Human Bondage", "Green Dolphin Street", "For Heaven's Sake", "Something for the Birds", "Them!", etc.

Married in 1901 and divorced within hours. Cousin of Cecil Kellaway. His nickname was Teddy.

In memory of those who died this day September 26th:

Dynamic blues singer Bessie Smith in 1937 at age 43, ace cinematographer Gregg Toland in 1948 at age 44, adorable character actress Ida Moore in 1964 at age 82, 'boop-boop-bedoop' girl Helen Kane in 1966 at ge 63, talented earthy actress Anna Magnani in 1973 at age 65, humorous character actor Arthur Hunnicut in 1979 at age 69, prominent director John Cromwell in 1979 at age 91, and screenwriter Dorothy Kingsley in 1997 at age 87.

Mongo

I first noticed Jim Caviezel in Frequency, (love that movie) also stars Dennis Quaid, one of my fave underrateds. And I had no idea Linda Hamilton was near 50, let alone over 40. If he has a decent agent, Jim could be around until his 60's or more, I think he's that good.

Mongo,

Philip Bosco is also a fine Shakespearean actor. In the early 1960s, when I was in junior high, we were taken to see many Shakespeare plays on Off-Broadway Manhattan, and at Stratford, Connecticut. It seemed to me that Bosco was in all of them (or at least most of them), generally in the comic roles. More recently, I believe I saw him on TV in a production of "Twelfth Night." And we often hear his voice in radio and TV commercials.

idb1, thanks for the additional info regading Philip Bosco. He is indeed an exceptional actor.

heidigunn, athough James Caviezel had nothing going on in 2005, he has 3 films on the fire. I suspect he is here to stay. Only thing is, how do you top the role of Jesus Christ?

Born this day September 27th:

Co-star/support A. Martinez is 58.

Reliable Latino actor, in "The Cowboys" w/Wayne, "Joe Panther", "She-Devil", "One Night Stand", "Wind River", "What's Cooking", "Once Upon a Wedding", etc.

Married twice including to Mare Winningham. Father of 2 daughters. First name is Adolph. On the soap "Santa Barbara" (Emmy nominee). Also on TVs "L.A. Law", and "General Hospital".

Co-star/support Liz Torres is 59.

Spunky Latino actress/singer, in "Scavenger Hunt", "Ordinary Heroes", "America", "Sunset", "Hot to Trot", "Lena's Holiday", "Rescue me", "Just Cause" w/Sean Connery, "Joe Dirt", etc.

Married producer Peter Locke. On "All in the Family", "The John Larroquette Show" (Emmy nominee), "Gilmore Girls" as Miss Patty, etc. Also appeared on Broadway.

Co-star/support Claude Jarman Jr. is 72.

Former child star, won special juvenile Oscar as Jody in "The Yearling". Also in "High Barbaree", "The Sun Comes Up", "Roughshod", "Intruder in the Dust" good role, "Rio Grande" as the son of Wayne and O'Hara, "Fair Wind to Java", etc.

Married 3 times (7 children, including twin daughters). He became an excutive with Amway.

Made a rare public appearence as one of some 60-plus past Oscar-winners at the 2003 75th Anniversary Academy Awards (March 23, 2003).

Co-star/support Wilford Brimley is 82.

Essential character actor (down-home type), in "The China Syndrome", "Brubaker", "Absence of Malice", "Country", "The Natural", "Cocoon", "Remo Williams", "End of the Line" good role, "The Firm", "In & Out", etc.

Married since 1955 (3 children). Once a bodyguard for Howard Hughes. Guested on the TV series "The Waltons". He does TV commercials for Diabetes. Was a staunch supporter of Robert Blake during his murder trial. Last on screen in 2003.

Co-star/support Jayne Meadows is 86 today.

Glamourous actress, in "Undercurrent", "Lady in the Lake" good role, "The Luck of the Irish", "Enchantment", "David and Bathsheba", "City Slickers", "The Story of Us", etc.

Widow of Steve Allen (1 son). Sister of Audrey Meadows. Has appeared as a panelist on various TV game shows. A 3 time Emmy Award nominee.

Quoted: "I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die." Good for you!

Posthumous

Co-star/support Will Sampson (53) 1933-1989.

Tall, Native-American character actor, remembered as Chief in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Also in "Buffalo Bill and the Indians", "The Outlaw Josey Wales", "The White Buffalo", "Orca", "Fish Hawk", "Poltergeist II: The Other Side", "Firewalker", etc.

Father of actor Tim Sampson. Was a member of the Creek Tribe, and is buried on the reservation.

Is said to be the third victim of the "Poltergeist Curse". Sampson strangely died during heart surgery one year after he starred in "Poltergeist II: The Other Side" (1986). The first victim was Dominique Dunne who was murdered after the release of the first film, "Poltergeist" (1982). Julian Beck died during filming of "Poltergeist II: The Other Side" (1986), then Sampson died and Heather O'Rourke died during "Poltergeist III" (1988). Creepy.

Lead/co-star William Conrad (73) 1920-1994.

Essential, heavy-set actor, remembered as TVs "Cannon" (Emmy nominee), and "Jake and the Fatman". In "The Killers", "Body and Soul", "Sorry, Wrong Number", "Any Number Can Play", "Tension" good noir, "One Way Street", "Cry Danger", "The Racket", "The Naked Jungle", "Johnny Concho", etc.

Was the original Matt Dillon on radio's "Gunsmoke". Also narrated "The Bullwinkle Show".

In memory of those who died this day September 27th:

Composer Engelbert Humperdinck in 1921 at age 67, the 'It' girl Clara Bow in 1965 at age 60, comic/singer Gracie Fields in 1979 at age 81, essential movie star Robert Montgomery in 1981 at age 77, impressive actor Lloyd Nolan in 1985 at age 83, character actress Fay Helm in 2003 at age 94, song & dance dynamo Donald O'Connor in 2003 at age 78.

Also infamous gangster Baby Face Nelson in 1934 at age 25.

Mongo

Happy Birthday Jayne Meadows!

Mongo, you're absolutely right about her energy and genuine love of life. I met her at a convention in California this past January, and she was amazing. It's hard to believe she's 86! She was telling story after story, wonderful anecdotes, and it was a pleasure to hear her reminisce. I hope she will write, or is writing a book about her incredible life.

I can't say I blame Martinez for using only his first initial in place of a name. What a moniker to hang on a little kid only 3 years after WWII. - What were they thinking?!!!