Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

1,027 posts in this topic

Hi Mongo,

I too wish to echo my disappointment that you may discontinue this thread. It is the one everybody plugs into first thing when we log on.

I can well understand though that it is a great enterprise to get everybody listed in the right column and list all their accomplishments.

You do an exemplary job with this and other threads and your knowledge and resources are appreciated.

I have always thought that you were "premier" on this board.

Larry

Mr.Mongo, First Coffeedan, then Cindy not to mention the many others that all ready left this Forum. I don't think I could handle it here without your daily post and input. (Larry's correct about the first place I look) Please reconsider your decision..I know the boards are nothing like the way they used to be,and I got here only a year ago .But I have nothing but respect for you and the choices you make.

vallo

Thanks guys.

It's just that I may not have another year in me for such a chore, but then again, who knows?

Born this day June 22nd:

Lead/co-star Meryl Streep is 57.

Extraordinary, blonde actress won Oscar best support for "Kramer vs. Kramer" and for best actress in "Sophie's Choice". Oscar nominated best support for "The Deer Hunter", "Adaptation" and for best actress in "The French Lieutenant's Woman", "Silkwood", "Out of Africa", "Ironweed" outstanding role, "A Cry in the Dark", "Postcards from the Edge", "The Bridges of Madison County", "One True Thing", and "Music of the Heart". Also in "Julia", "Manhattan", "She-Devil" good comic role, "The River Wild", "Marvin's Room", "The Hours", "The Manchurian Candidate", "A Prairie Home Companion", etc.

Married since 1978 (4 children). Once engaged to actor John Cazale (Fredo in 'The Godfather'). She is the most Oscar nominated actress ever. Has received 20 Golden Globe nominations (won 5). Also won 2 Emmy awards.

Lead/co-star Kris Kristofferson is 70.

Talented, rugged-looking actor, in "Cisco Pike", "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid", "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore", "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea", "A Star Is Born" Golden Globe nominee best actor, "Semi-Tough", "Heaven's Gate", "Lone Star" good movie, "A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries", "Payback", "Where the Red Fern Grows", "The Jacket", etc.

Married 3 times including to singer Rita Collidge. Father of 8 children. He dated Janis Joplin. First and foremost he is a prominent composer and country singer.

Co-star/support Michael Lerner is 65.

Chunky, reliable actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Barton Fink". Also in "The Candidate", "Busting", "St. Ives", "The Other Side of Midnight", "The Postman Always Rings Twice" remake, "Harlem Nights", "Newsies", "The Road to Wellville", "Godzilla", "Elf", "Larceny", "Poster Boy", etc.

Brother of actor Ken Lerner. He also appears on TV.

Co-star/support Ralph Waite is 78 today.

Dependable actor, remembered as daddy John Walton on the hit TV series "The Waltons" (Emmy nominee best actor). In "Cool Hand Luke", "Five Easy Pieces", "The Grissom Gang", "Chato's Land", "The Stone Killer", "On the Nickel", "Desperate Hours", "The Bodyguard", "Cliffhanger", "Sunshine State", "Silver City", etc.

Married 3 times. On the HBO series "Carnivale". Ran for congress a few times, although unsuccessfully. Also a stage actor.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Gower Champion (59) 1921-1980.

Talented dancer, choreographer teamed with his wife Marge Champion in some MGM musicals, including "Show Boat", "Lovely to Look at", "Everything I have Is Yours" lead roles, "Give a Girl a Break", "Jupiter's Darling", "Three for the Show" w/Betty Grable, etc.

Divorced from Marge Champion after 25 years of marriage. They began their career together as Gower and Bell. He was hot on Broadway at the time of his death from a rare blood disease.

Out of an unprecedented 15 nominations, he won eight Tony Awards, more than any other director and/or choreographer (one more win than Bob Fosse).

Co-star/support Wanda McKay (80) 1915-1996.

Pretty blonde starlet in mostly "B" films including "Dancing on a Dime", "The Mad Doctor", "The Lady Eve", "Virginia", "Bowery at Midnight" w/Lugosi, "The Black Raven", "Deerslayer", "Voodoo Man", "Belle of the Yucon" w/Gypsy Rose Lee, "Kilroy Was Here" w/Jackie Cooper, "The Golden Eye" a Charlie Chan film, "Roaring City", etc.

Widow of Hoagy Carmichael. She was Miss America Aviation in 1938.

Ace director Billy Wilder (95) 1906-2002.

Outstanding filmmaker, won Oscar best director for "The Lost Weekend" and for "The Apartment". Oscar nominated best director for "Double Indemnity", "Sunset Blvd.", "Stalag 17", "Sabrina", "Witness for the Prosecution", and "Some Like It Hot". Also helmed "The Major and the Minor", "Ace in the Hole" aka "The Big Carnival", "The Seven year Itch", "One, Two, Three" w/Cagney, "Irma La Douce", "The Fortune Cookie", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Also an Oscar winner for story and screenplay.

He collaborated closely with Steven Spielberg on the script for "Schindler's List" (1993), and was one of several directors considered to direct it (Roman Polanski and Martin Scorsese both turned down the project). Although Wilder strongly considered directing Schindler's List (1993), he felt he was a little too old (he had already retired) and the subject was almost too personal (both his mother and grandmother were killed in the Holocaust). It was ultimately Wilder who told Spielberg he should direct it."

Was quoted, "I have discussed this with my doctor and my psychiatrist and they tell me I'm too old and too rich to go through this again." - after directing Marilyn Monroe for the second time in Some Like It Hot (1959). Was quoted, "I just made pictures I would've like to see", and thank goodness he did. TCM is saluting the gent this evening.

In memory of those who died this day June 22nd:

Superior filmmaker David O. Selznick in 1965 at age 63 (didn't realize he died so young), outstanding actress/singer Judy Garland in 1969 at age 47, reliable actress Lola Lane in 1981 at age 75, prominent director Josph Losey in 1984 at age 75, dancing dynamo Fred Astaire in 1987 at age 88, and appealing Irish tenor Dennis Day in 1988 at age 70.

Mongo

Jack,I realize "coffeedan" comes on the forum from time to time. But it's to few and far between.

vallo

Born this day June 23rd:

Lead/co-star Frances McDormand is 49.

Essential actress, won Oscar best actress for her exceptional performance as the pregnant sheriff Marge Gunderson in "Fargo". Nominated best support for "Mississippi Burning", "Almost Famous" and "North Country". Also in "Blood Simple", "Raising Arizona", "Darkman", "The Butcher's Wife", "Short Cuts", "Primal Fear", "Wonder Boys", "City by the Sea", Friends and Money", etc.

Married since 1984 to producer/director Joel Coen, of the movie making Coen Brothers (2 children). A Tony award nominee. Was the third and youngest child adopted by her minister father Vernon and his wife, Noreen.

[On how she got the part in Fargo (1996)] "The fact that I'm sleeping with the director may have something to do with it."

Lead/co-star Bryan Brown is 59 today.

Tall, talented Aussie, made a splash in the movie "'Breaker' Morant". Also in "Blood Money", "Give My Regards to Broad Street", "F/X" good role, "Tai-Pan", "Cocktail" w/Tom Cruise, "Two Hands" good role, "Dirty Deeds", "Along Came Polly", etc.

Married to actress Rachel Ward since 1983 (3 children). Met his wife while filming the mini-series "The Thorn Birds", for which he received a Golden Globe and Emmy nomination. Began his career on the stage.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Charles Bradstreet (86) 1918-2004.

Handsome player, in "Gallant Bess", "Lady in the Lake", "Cynthia" w/Elizabeth Taylor, "The Unfinished Dance", "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" as Lugosi's assistant, Paid in Full" good soap w/Lizabeth Scott (still around), etc.

Left the screen for a career in real estate.

Co-star/support Leigh Snowden (52) 1929-1982.

Beautiful starlet, in "Kiss Me Deadly", "The Rawhide Years", "The Square Jungle", "All That Heaven Allows", "The Creature Walks Among Us" with the Gill Man, "I've Lived Before", "The Comancheros", etc.

Was married to accordianist Dick Contino. Mosther of 5 children. Last on screen in 1957.

Actor/director Bob Fosse (60) 1927-1987.

Dynamic dancer/choreographer, won Oscar best director for the wonderful "Cabaret". Oscar nominated best director for "Lenny" and "All That Jazz" (the story of his hectic life). In "Kiss Me Kate", "Give a Girl a Break", "My Sister Eileen", "Damn Yankees!", "The Little Prince", "Thieves", etc.

Married 3 times including to stage star Gwen Verdon (1 daughter). Also a Tony award winner and 3 time Emmy award winner.

Co-star/support Larry Blyden (49) 1925-1975.

Genial, dark-haired actor, in "The Bachelor Party" w/Carolyn Jones, "Kiss Them for Me", "On a Clear Day YOu Can See Forever", w/Streisnad, etc.

He was married to musical star Carol Haney (2 children). A TV and Broadway star, he won a Tony award. He died in a road accident while in Morocco.

Co-star/support Irene Worth (85) 1916-2002.

Versatile character actress, in "Orders to Kill", "The Scapegoat" w/Bette Davis, "Nicholas and Alexandra", "Eyewitness", "Deathtrap", "Forbidden", "Lost in Yonkers" sterling performance as the hard and bitter Grandma, etc.

A grand stage actress she won 3 Tony awards. On the AMC TV series "Remember WENN". A former kindergarten school teacher.

Co-star/support Donald MacBride (67) 1889-1957.

Essential character with a craggy mug in over 100 films (often a frantic gent). in "Room Service", "My Favorite Wife", "High Sierra", "Topper Returns", "The Glass key", "They Got Me Covered", "The Time of Their Lives" w/Abbott & Costello, "The Killers", "The Egg and I", "The Seven Year Itch", etc.

He was adept at comedy and drama. Appeared on the TV series "My Friend Irma". From Brooklyn, he appeared in vaudeville and on the Broadway stage as a teenage singer.

In memory of those who died this day June 23rd:

Endearing character actress Mary Boland in 1965 at age 85, reliable character actress Fay Holden (Andy Hardy's mom) in 1973 at age 79, sweet supporting actress Rosina Lawrence in 1997 at age 84, lovely Irish actress Maureen O'Sullivan in 1998 at age 87, and gorgeous French actress Corinne Calvet in 2001 at age 76.

Mongo

Born this day June 24th:

Co-star/support Iain Glen is 45.

Good-looking British actor, in "Gorillas in the Mist", "Silent Scream", "Mountains of the Moon", "The Young American", "Beautiful Creatures", "Lara Croft Tomb Raider", "Darkness", "Resident Evil: Apocalypse", "Kingdom of Heaven", etc.

Divorced from actress Susannah Harker (1 son Finlay). Current partner in actress Charlotte Emmerson. Also a stage actor.

Lead/co-star Nancy Allen is 56.

Attractive starlet, in "Carrie", "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "1941", "Dressed to Kill" good role, "Strange Invaders", "The Philadelphia Experiment", "RoboCop" and sequel, "Out of Sight", "Circuit", "Quality Time", etc.

Divorced from director Brian De Palma. Married twice more. Last on screen in 2004.

Lead/co-star Peter Weller is 59.

Reliable, gaunt-faced actor, made a splash as "RoboCop". Also in "Shoot the Moon", "A Killing Affair", "Shakedown", "Naked Lunch", "Screamers", "Mighty Aphrodite", "The Contaminated Man", "The Order", "The Hard Easy", etc.

Once engaged to Sela Ward. He enjoys smoking cigars.

Co-star/support Michele Lee is 64.

Pretty, perky actress, in "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying", "Disney's "The Love Bug", "The Comic", "The Idiot Box", "Along Came Polly", etc.

Divorced from James Farentino (1 son). Married again since 1987. Appeared on the long running TV soap series "Knots Landing" (Emmy nominee). A singer and dancer, she appeared on Broadway.

Co-star/support Juanita Quigley is 75 today.

Popular child actress of the 1930s, credited as Baby Jane early in her career, in "Imitation of Life" (1934) Colbert's tot in the tub, "Riffraff" w/Harlow, "The Devil Doll", "Born to Dance" w/Eleanor Powell, "Woman Against Woman" w/Mary Astor, "Having a Wonderful Time" w/Ginger Rogers, "The Blue Bird", "A Yank at Eaton", "Happy Land", "National Velvet", etc.

Last on screen in 1950. Sister of Rita Quigley. She retired from being a nun and married an ex-priest. Good Lord!.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Peter Shaw (84) 1918-2003.

Competent actor/producer, in "One More River", "Clive of India", "Bride of Frankenstein" w/Karloff, "Sons of the Sea", "Forever Amber" w/Linda Darnell, "The Exile".

Married to dear Angela Lansbury for 53 years (2 children). Also produced her TV series "Murder, She Wrote".

Co-star/support Irving Pichel (63) 1891-1954.

Essential character actor in numerous pre-codes including "An American Tragedy", "The Miracle Man", "Wild Girl", "I'm No Angel", "Cleopatra" w/Colbert, "Dracula's Daughter" good role, etc. Also in "Jezebel", "Juarez", "Tomorrow Is Forever", "Santa Fe", etc.

Also a prominent director, he helmed "Tomorrow Is Forever" (discovered Natalie Wood), "The Bride Wore Boots", "Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid" remember that one?, "Miracle of the Bells", "Quicksand" w/Rooney, "Destination Moon", etc. His last name is pronounced "Peek-l".

In memory of those who died this day June 24th:

Reliable supporting actress Alice Davenport in 1936 at age 72, dependable character actress Catherine Doucet (Aunt Lily in "These Three") in 1958 at age 83, superior character actress Lucile Watson in 1962 at age 83, endearing character actress Mary Carr in 1973 at age 99, prominent director William Keighley in 1984 at age 94, comic genius Jackie Gleason in 1987 at age 71, versatile, appealing actor Brian Keith committed suicide in 1997 at age 75, delightful character actor David Tomlinson in 2000 at age 83, and ventriloquist Paul Winchell in 2005 at age 82.

Mongo

Thanks again, Mr. Mongo. One of Nancy Allen's best movies was [husband] Brian De Palma's Blow-Out. This film is on the verge of making my "modern classics" list. She was also in the well-received Hal Ashby movie, The Last Detail with Jack Nicholson. She is an under-valued actress.

I was lucky enough to see Michele Lee when she appeared on Broadway in Charles Busch's A Tale of the Allergist's Wife. She was nominated for a Tony for this, and did a really impressive job.

Happy Birthday Nancy Allen & Michele Lee!

It's my pleasure, Jack.

Nancy Allen was indeed a pleasure to watch on the big screen. However, I don't watch her in "Blow Out" due to the haunting and disturbing finale.

Born this day June 25th:

Co-star/support Linda Cardellini is 31.

Beautiful, petite actress, in "Dead Man on Campus", "Strange Land", "Legally Blonde", "The Unsaid" w/Andy Garcia, "Scobby Doo", "Brokeback Mountain" as Cassie, "American Gun", "Grandma's Boy", etc.

On the TV series "Boy Meet's World", "Freaks and Geeks", and "E.R.".

Enjoys art.

Co-star/support June Lockhart is 81.

Wholesome, charming blonde actress, appeared with her parents Gene Lockhart and Kathleen Lockhart in MGMs "A Christmas Carol" (1938). Also in "All This, and Heaven Too", "Sergeant York", Meet Me in St. Louis", "Son of Lassie", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "She-Wolf of London" good horror, "The Yearling", "Easy to Wed", "Strange Invaders", etc.

Divorced (2 daughters). Starred on the hit TV series "Lassie" (Emmy award nominee), and "Lost in Space". Made numerous TV appearances. Acted on Broadway, won a Tony award. Would be a good candidate for a Robert Osborne interview. She has 2 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Director/producer Sidney Lumet is 82 today.

Billiant filmmaker, Oscar nominated best director for "12 Angry Men", "Dog Day Afternoon", "Network", and "The Verdict". Also helmed "The Fugitive Kind" w/Brando, "A View from the Bridge" good drama with Maureen Sapleton, "Long Day's Journey Into Night", "The Pawnbroker", "Serpico", "Murder on the Orient Express", "Equus", "Prince of the City", "Garbo Talks" w/Anne Bancroft, "Q & A", "A Stranger Among Us", etc.

Married 4 times including to actress Rita Gam, Gloria Vanderbilt and the father of 2 daughters with Lena Horne's daughter Gail Jones. As a youth he was in the original Broadway cast of "Dead End".

In 1993 Lumet received the D.W. Griffith Award from the Directors Guild of America.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Peter Lind Hayes (82) 1915-1998.

Comedic actor, in "Million Dollar Legs" w/W.C. Fields, "These Glamour Girls", "All Women Have Secrets", "Seven Day's Leave" w/Lucille Ball, "Winged Victory", "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr.T", "Once You Kiss a Stranger", etc.

Was married to actress Mary Healy 59 years (2 adopted children). Had his own TV series. Served in the U.S. Air Force during WWII.

Co-star/support Anne Revere (86) 1903-1990.

Outstanding character actress, won Oscar best support for her mother role in "National Velvet". Oscar nominated for "The Song of Bernadette", and "Gentlemen's Agreement". Also in "Men of Boys Town", "Remember the Day", "The Gay Sisters", "Old Acquaintance", "The Keys of the Kingdom", "Dragonwyck", "Fallen Angel", "Body and Soul", etc.

She married in 1935. Blacklisted in 1951 after completing her role in "A Place in the Sun", and sadly most of her scenes ended up on the cutting room floor. She said it was the best work she ever did.

Also on Broadway, she won a Tony award for "Toys in the Attic". Appeared in some TV soaps at the end of her career.

A rigid, hard core, dyed-in-the-wool Yankee, she always maintained that the photocopy of her alleged Communist Party registration card, which bore no signature, was a "plant.

Co-star/support Charlotte Greenwood (85) 1892-1977.

Tall, dandy character actress, in "Star Dust", "Down Argentine Way", "Moon Over Miami", "Springtime in the Rockies", "Oh, You Beautiful Doll", "Dangerous When Wet", "Oklahoma!" as Aunt Eller, "The Opposite Sex", etc.

Her first marriage to actor Cyril Ring, brother of screen legend Blanche Ring, ended in scandal after only six years; her second marriage to musician Martin Broones was long and happy. Her nickname was Letty and she was an elastic-jointed nightclub dancer and zany comedienne. Her trademark was her high kicks over the top of her head and leg-splits, which she also performed in films.

In memory of dramatic actor Colin Clive of "Frankenstein" fame ("It's Alive! It's Alive!") who died this day in 1937 at age 37.

Mongo

Thank you, Mr. Mongo. I wasn't aware that June Lockhart worked on Broadway. Do you know when and for what she received her Tony award?

Jack, here are the two plays listed for June Lockhart:

Productions and Dates of Production

"The Grand Prize" [Original, Play, Comedy]

Performer: June Lockhart [Lucille Cotton] Jan 26, 1955 - Feb 12, 1955

"For Love or Money" [Original, Play, Comedy]

Performer: June Lockhart [Janet Blake] Nov 4, 1947 - Jun 19, 1948 for which she won the Tony award.

Born this day June 26th:

Lead/co-star Chris O'Donnell is 36.

Talented, good-looking actor, in "Men Don't Leave", "Fried Green Tomatoes", "School Ties", "Scent of a Woman" Good role (he received a Golden Globe nomination), "The Three Musketeers", "Blue Sky", "Mad Love", "Batman Forever" as Robin, "The Chamber", "Kinsey", "The Sisters", etc.

Married since 1997 (4 children). Al Pacino advised him to never date an actress. Has appeared on TVs "Grey's Anatomy" as Finn. Is an avid golfer.

Lead/co-star Sean Hayes is 36.

Outrageously funny actor as Jack on TVs "Will & Grace" (6 Emmy nominations, he won 1). in "A&P", "Billy's Hollywood Screen Test", "Cats & Dogs" voice, "Pieces of April", "The Cat in the Hat", "Win a Date with Todd Hamilton!", etc.

A trained classical pianist. Was quoted, "When you see me play Jack, I want you to believe that that's a gay character. After 'Will & Grace' is over, when I play a straight character, I want you to believe that, too."

Co-star/support Richard Bull is 81.

Reliable character actor remembered as Nels Oleson on TVs "Little House on the Prairie". In "Fear Strikes Out", "But Not for Me", "The Satan Bug", "Hour of the Gun", "The Thomas Crown Affair", "The Stalking Moon", "The Andromeda Strain", "High Plains Drifter", "The Parallax View", etc.

Gave an outstanding performance in the HBO movie "Normal" as a Alzheimer victim.

Lead/co-star Eleanor Parker is 84 today.

Exceptional blonde actress, Oscar nominated best actress for "Caged", "Detective Story", and "Interrupted Melody" as opera star Marjorie Lawrence. Also in "Between Two Worlds", "Pride of the Marines", "Of Human Bondage", "The Voice of the Turtle", "Chain Lightning", "Three Secrets" w/Ruth Roman, "Valentino", "Scaramouche", "The Naked Jungle", "Man with the Golden Arm" w/Sinatra, "Lizzie" good role, "A Hole in the Head", "Home from the Hill" good drama, "The Sound of Music" as the Baroness, "The Oscar", etc.

Married 4 times (4 children). Rumored to have had affairs with William Holden, Glenn Ford, and Robert Taylor (good pickin's). Last seen in a TV movie in 1991. She lives in quiet retirement.

Posthumous

Co-star/support June Preisser (64) 1920-1984.

Bubbly blonde starlet, in 'teenage' themed films including "Babes in Arms", "Judge Hardy and Son", "Strike Up the Band", "Gallant Sons", "Sweather Girl", "Junior Prom", "High School Hero", etc.

Married in 1942. Also performed on Broadway. Sadly, she was killed, along with her son, in a road accident.

Lead/co-star Peter Lorre (64) 1904-1964.

Outstanding character actor with trademark bulging eyes and distinctive voice. In "M" a stunning film debut, "The Man Who Knew Too Much", "Mad Love", "Crime and Punishment", "Strange Cargo", "Stranger on the Third Floor", "The Face Behind the Mask" good role, "The Maltese Falcon", "Casablanca", "The Cross of Lorraine", "The Mask of Dimitrios", "Arsenic and Old Lace", "Three Strangers", "The Beast with Five Fingers" eerie flick, "Casbah", "Quicksand", "Beat the Devil", "Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", "Silk Stockings", "The Raven", etc.

Married 3 times including to actress Celia Lovsky, who played Cagney's mute mother in "Man of a Thousand Faces". Father of 1 daughter.

Upon viewing the body of Bela Lugosi in his Dracula cape, he commented to Vincent Price "Do you think we should drive a stake through his heart, just in case". He was a joy.

Lead/co-star Jeanne Eagels (39) 1894-1929.

Beautiful silent film star, in a scant 9 films. Oscar nominated best actress posthumously for "The Letter". In "The House of Fear", "The Fires of Youth", "The Madonna of the Slums", "Man Woman and Sin", "Jelousy", etc.

Made a big splash on Broadway as Sadie Thompson in "Rain". Was quoted, "I'm the greatest actress in the world and the greatest failure. And nobody gives a damn".

She was divorced at the time of her death from a heroin overdose. Her last name is actually spelled 'Eagles'.

In memory of dependable character actor Ernest Truex who died this day in 1973 at age 83, and lovely musical star Dolores Gray in 2002 at age 78.

Mongo

Happy Birthday to a couple of pros that are sadly underrated by some today. Peter Lorre and the lovely Eleanor Parker ( I'm still hoping for the film "Caged" to be released on DVD)

vallo

Mongo,

I don't know too much about Eleanor Parker but I thought she was a redhead. I know she was blonde in "The Sound of Music" but wasn't that a wig?

When I first met Agnes Moorehead, the Oscar nominations had just come out for 1950 and Agnes had done "Caged" with Parker, who was a Best Actress contender. Also, Hope Emerson was in Supporting for the same movie.

Agnes announced over salad at lunch on the set of "Show Boat" - "A lot of these ladies are going to get screwed come Oscar time since they're all so good".

I was shocked to hear her say 'screwed'......

Anyway, Happy Birthday Eleanor and many more......

Larry

Larry, since actress Eleanor Parker is considered a chameleon (both blonde and redhead) in her films, I believe it is safe to say that she is a redhead today.

In two of my favorite films, "Caged" and "Detective Story" she was a blonde, which sticks in my memory.

Interesting copy reprinted from 'Films of the Golden Age':

When you think of versatility in films, one actress should immediately come to mind: Eleanor Parker. Audiences never knew what to expect when they saw her. To Eleanor, creating interesting characters was more important than cultivating a star image. In over 50 films, she would earn the title, "The Woman of a Thousand Faces," (which is the title of her biography).

And Agnes Moorehead was right since the best actress nominees of 1950 were formidable.

Born this day June 27th:

Lead/co-star Toby Maguire is 31.

Admirable, talented actor, in "This Boy's Life", "Joyride", "The Ice Storm", "Pleasantville", "The Cider House Rules" good role, "Wonder Boys", "Spider-Man" and sequels, which got him in the big bucks salary range, "Seabiscuit" good role, etc.

Tobey and his fianc?e, Jennifer Meyer, are expecting their first child. Jennifer is a Los Angeles-based jewelry designer. They announced their engagement in April. Had to pack on some weight for his role in "Spider-Man", and take weight off for his role in "Seabiscuit". Enjoys yoga, cooking and chess.

Lead/co-star Isabelle Adjani is 51.

French beauty, Oscar nominated best actress as author Victor Hugo's daughter in "The Story of Adele H." (she won the New York Film Critics award), and for "Camille Claudel". In "Barocco", "The Driver", "Possession", "Subway", "Ishtar", "Diabolique" good chiller, "Bon Voyage", etc.

Has 2 children, fathered by Daniel Day-Lewis. She broke off her engagement to composer Jean-Michel Jarre, suspecting he cheated on her. Last on screen in 2003. Her exotic beauty comes by way of an Algerian-Turkish father and a German mother.

Co-star/support Kathryn Beaumont is 68 today.

Former child actress, in "On an Island with You" w/Esther Williams, "The Secret Garden" w/Margaret O'Brien, "Challenge to Lassie".

Also the voice of Alice in Disney's "Alice in Wonderland", and of Wendy in "Peter Pan".

She became an elementary school teacher.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Gary Crosby (62) 1933-1995.

Capable, stocky, actor/singer, in "Mardi Gras", "Holiday for Lovers", "A Private's Affair", "Battle at Bloody Beach", "Two Tickets to Paris", "Girl Happy" w/Elvis, "Morituri" w/Brando, "Which Way to the Front?", etc.

Married 3 times (1 son). Son of Bing Crosby and lovely Dixie Lee. Had a nightclub act with his 3 brothers who are now deceased. Wrote a scatching book about his father.

He has appeared on various TV programs.

Co-star/support Audrey Christie (77) 1912-1989.

Dependable character actress, remembered as Natalie Wood's mother in "Splendor in the Grass". Also in "Keeper of the Flame", "Deadline - U.S.A." w/Bogart, "Carousel", "The Unsinkable Molly Brown", "Harlow", "The Ballard of Josie", "Mame" w/Lucille Ball, etc.

She made numerous TV guest appearances.

Co-star/support Skelton Knaggs (43) 1911-1955.

Diminutive, emaciated-looking actor, usually as a sinister character. In "Torture Ship", "The Ghost Ship", "The Lodger", "None But the Lonely Heart", "The Picture of Dorian Gray", "Isle of the Dead", "House of Dracula", "Bedlam", "The Paleface" w/Bob Hope, "Moonfleet", etc.

Not much is known about this extraordinary actor.

Co-star/support Billy Curtis (79) 1909-1988.

Delightful dwarf actor, is the Mayor of Munchkin City in "The Wizard of Oz". Also in "Terror of Tiny Town" an all dwarf western, "Maisie Was a Lady", "Meet John Doe", "Saboteur", "My Gal Sal", "The Hard Way", "Three Wise Fools", "April Showers", "Man of a Thousand Faces", etc.

Was married with 2 children. He was Mayor McCheese for McDonalds Foods. His most difficult role was in "The Thing" (1951), playing the alien at a smaller size, as he melted into the ground.

Co-star/support John McIntire (83) 1907-1991.

Essential character actor, in "Call Northside 777" good movie, "Down to the Sea in Ships", "Ambush", "The Asphalt Jungle", "Winchester '73", "Westward the Women", "The President's Lady", "Apache", "The Tin Star", Hitchcock's "Psycho" as the sheriff, "Elmer Gantry", "Rooster Cogburn", etc.

Married to actress Jeanette Nolan for 55 years (parents of Tim McIntire). He was on he hit TV series "Naked City", which was good stuff.

Co-star/support Moroni Olsen (65) 1889-1954.

Reliable character actor, with a fine voice. Remembered as Inspector Peterson who questions Joan Crawford at the station in "Mildred Pierce". Also in "Annie Oakley" as Buffalo Bill Cody, "The Life of Emile Zola", "The Last Gangster", "Dust Be My Destiny" w/Garfield, "Santa Fe Trail", "The Glass Key", "Cobra Woman" cult classic, "Notorious", "Possessed", "The Long Long Trailer", "Father of the Bride", etc.

He was also the voice of the Magic Mirror in Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". Active on the Broadway stage.

Born and raised in Utah to Mormon parents.

In memory of those who died this day June 27th:

Capable actor Jack Beutel ('The Outlaw') in 1989 at age 73, actor/singer Allan Jones ('The Donkey Serenade') in 1992 at age 84, adorable child star Bobs Watson (could cry at the drop of a hat) in 1999 at age 68, and versatile, durable actor Jack Lemmon in 2001 at age 76.

Mongo

Born this day June 28th:

Lead/co-star Mary Stuart Masterson is 40.

Spirited, blonde starlet, in "Some Kind of Wonderful", "Immediate Family", "Fried Green Tomatoes" good role as a tom-boy, "Benny and Joon", "Bad Girls", "Dogtown", "Lily Dale", "The Book of Stars", "The Sisters", etc.

Twice divorced, she is the daughter of director Peter Masterson and actress Carlin Glynn. Also on the Broadway stage, she won a Tony award nomination for the musical "Nine".

Lead/co-star John Cusack is 40.

Brash, appealing actor, in "Sixteen Candles", "Stand by Me", "Eight Men Out", "The Grifters" good role in a good movie, "Bullets Over Broadway", "Con Air", "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", "The Thin Red Line", "The Jack Bull", "Pushing Tin", "High Fidelity", "Runaway Jury", "Must Love Dogs", etc.

Has dated many starlets. Brother of the zany Joan Cusack.

Lead/co-star Kathy Bates is 58.

Exceptional actress (pleasantly plump), won Oscar best actress as Annie in "Misery". Oscar nominated best support for "Primary Colors" and "About Schmidt". Also in "Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean", "Men Don't Leave", "Dick Tracy", "At Play in the Fields of the Lord" total nude scene, "Fried Green Tomatoes" good role, "Used People", "A Home of Their own", "Dolores Claiborne" dandy performance, "Titanic" as Molly Brown, "Failure to Launch", etc.

Divorced from actor Tony Campisi. Has 5 Emmy award nominations and 6 Golden Globe award nominations to her credit. Also a Tony award nominee. Quoted, "The Oscar changed everything. Better salary, working with better people, better projects, more exposure, less privacy."

Lead/co-star Bruce Davison is 60.

Reliable, talented actor, Oscar nominated best support as a gay man in "Longtime Companion" (he won a Golden Globe award). Also in "Willard" the original about the rats, "Last Summer", "The Strawberry Statement", "Ulzana's Raid", "Mame", "Short Eyes", "Crimes of Passion", "Short Cuts" a disturbing film, "The Crucible", "Paulie", "X-Men", "Runaway Jury", "Rules of the Game", "Confession", etc.

Married twice (1 son). Also a stage actor. Has appeared on TVs "Close to Home" and "The Practice", among others.

Lead/co-star Mel Brooks is 80 today.

Comedic mastermind, both actor and director, in "The Twelve Chairs", "Blazing Saddles" hilarious, "High Anxiety" a Hitchcock spoof, "The History of the World Part I", "To Be or Not To Be", "Spaceballs", "Life Stinks", "Robin Hood: Men in Tights", "Dracula: Dead and Loving It", etc.

Also directed the outrageous "The Producers", and "Young Frankenstein", perhaps his best.

Married to the late Anne Bancroft for 40 years (1 son Max). Has 3 children from a prior marriage. He is one of few to win an Oscar, Emmy, Grammy, and Tony award. Brought his "The Producers" to Broadway with astounding results. Was quoted, "I'm the only Jew who ever made a buck offa 'Hitler'!" Served in the U.S. Army during WWII.

He and Anne Bancroft met on the set of a TV talk show, and Mel later paid a woman who worked on the show to tell him which restaurant Bancroft was going to eat at that night so he could "accidentally" bump into her again and strike up a conversation.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Richard Bright (68) 1937-2006.

Reliable actor from Brooklyn, remembered in all 3 "Godfather" films as the Corleones' bodyguard Al Neri. Also in "Panic in Needle Park", "The Getaway" McQueen roughs him up on a train, "Marathon Man", "Looking for Mr. Goodbar", "Once Upon a Time in America", "The Ref", "Joe the King", "Trigger Happy", etc.

Married with 2 children. Has appeared on HBOs "The Sopranos".

He was struck and killed by the rear wheels of a tour bus on the Upper West Side of New York City. The bus driver did not even know anyone was struck and kept on driving. Police interviewed the driver, at the bus terminal, and no charges were filed.

Co-star/support Pat Morita (73) 1932-2005.

Appealing, Asian-American character actor, Oscar nominated best support as Mr. Miyagi in "The Karate Kid". In "Cancel My Reservation", "Midway", "When Time Ran Out", "Night Patrol", "Captive Hearts", "The Karate Dog" (yikes!), "Genghis Khan", "Spymate", etc.

Married 3 times (3 children). Has appeared on numerous TV programs. Is the first Asian-American to garner an Oscar nomination.

Lead/co-star Gilda Radner (42) 1946-1989.

Delightful comedic actress, in "The Last Detail", "First Family", "Hanky Panky", "The Woman in Red", "Movers and Shakers", "Haunted Honeymoon", etc.

Maried to Gene Wilder up until her death from cancer. She was outstanding on TVs "Saturday Night Live", for which she won an Emmy award.

Gene Wilder and Gilda's medical therapist Joanna Ball founded 'Gilda's Club' in 1994. It was Gilda Radner's wish that a place could be established where people of all ages diagnosed with cancer could come together and support one another through the illness. The centers are very homey, with an art center, exercise facility and game rooms. No such place existed when Gilda Radner battled her ovarian cancer. 'Gilda's Club' is now nationwide, with new centers opening up all over the United States.

Co-star/support Don Dubbins (63) 1928-1991.

Good-looking capable actor, in "From Here to Eternity", "The Caine Mutiny", "Tibute to a Bad Man" w/Cagney, "These Wilder Years" as Cagney's son, "The D.I.", "The Prize", "The Illustrated Man", "The Hoax", etc.

James Cagney helped him along with his career. Also on TV.

Lead/co-star Polly Moran (68) 1883-1952.

Short, delightful, rowdy comedienne in silents and talkies. Teamed up with Marie Dressler in "Reducing", "Politics", "Prosperity", etc. with hilarious results. Also in "London After Midnight", "Rose-Marie", "Way Out West" w/Billy Haines, "Hollywood Party", "Adam's Rib", etc.

Married twice (1 adopted son). Appeared in numerous comedy shorts.

She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Composer Richard Rodgers (77) 1902-1979.

Grand composer/songwriter, along with Oscar Hammerstein gave us the stage musicals "Oklahoma!", "Carousel", "The King and I", "South Pacific", "The Sound of Music", among others. which became hit films.

Wrote the songs "Blue Moon", "The Lady Is a Tramp", "Manhattan", "My Funny Valentine", etc. heard in numerous motion pictures.

Married 49 years (2 children). Won 11 Tony awards.

In memory of those who died this day June 28th:

British actress Olive Sloane ('Seven Days to Noon') in 1963 at age 66, comedic actor Frank Sutton ('Gomer Pyle') in 1974 at ge 50, "Twilight Zone" master Rod Serling in 1975 at age 50, reliable actor James Craig (ala Gable) in 1985 at age 73, and lovely African-American actress Fredi Washington (Peola in "Imitation of Life") in 1994 at age 90.

Mongo

Born this day June 29th:

Co-star/support Maria Conchita Alonso is 49.

Latin beauty remembered as Lucia in "Moscow on the Hudson" w/Robin Williams. Also in "Fear City", "Extreme Prejudice", "The Running Man", "Colors", "Predator2", "The House of Spirits", "Caught", "Blackheart", "Smoke", etc.

Was Miss Teen World 1971. Appeared on Broadway in "Kiss of the Spider Woman". Also a recording artist.

Lead/co-star Gary Busey is 62.

Dependable blond-haired actor, Oscar nominated best actor for his role in "The Buddy Holly Story". Also in "The Last American Hero", "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot", "A Star Is Born", "Straight Time", "Big Wednesday", "Carny", "Eye of the Tiger", "Lethal Weapon", 'Under Siege", "The Firm", "The Rage", "Buckaroo", "The Gingerbread Man", etc.

Divorced twice (1 son, actor Jake Busey). He could be wild and raunchy. Almost died of head injuries in a motorcycle accident in 1988 (wasn't wearing a helmut).

Co-star/support Robert Evans is 76.

Reliable actor and successful producer, in "Lydia Bailey" w/Anne Francis, "Man of a Thousand Faces", "The Sun Also Rises", "Fiend Who Walked the West", "The Best of Everything" glossy soap, etc.

Of his 7 wives were Ali MacGraw (1 son Josh), and the late Sharon Hugueny. Also linked with Ava, Lana, and Grace Kelly.

Has produced "Chinatown" (Oscar nominee best picture), "Marathon Man", "Urban Cowboy", "Black Sunday", etc. "The Kid Stays in the Picture" (2002) is a wonderful documentary regarding his life.

Co-star/support Cara Williams is 81.

Versatile actress from Brooklyn, Oscar nominated best support for "The Defiant Ones". Also in "Boomerang!", "The Saxon Charm", "Knock on Any Door" w/Bogart, "Meet Me in Las Vegas", "The Helen Morgan Story", "Never Steal Anything Small", "Doctor's Wives", "The White Buffalo", etc.

Divorced from John Drew Barrymore (1 son). Star of the TV series "Pete and Gladys". Last on screen in 1978.

Grand technician Ray Harryhausen is 86.

Visual and special effects wizard worked his magic in, "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms", "It Came from Beneath the Sea", "20 Million Miles to Earth", "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver", "Jason and the Argonauts", "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad", etc.

Married since 1963. Received an honorary Oscar in 1992. Famous for his imaginative stop-motion special effects which are showcased in fantasy films depicting Greek Mythological and Arabian Nights stories.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Ruth Warrick (89) 1915-2005.

Charming, attractive actress, remembered for her bebut film "Citizen Kane" as Emily. Also in "Journey Into Fear", "Mr. Winkle Goes to War" w/Edward G. Robinson, "Guest in the House", Disney's "Song of the South", "Daisy Kenyon", "Arch of Triumph", "Let's Dance" w/Betty Hutton, etc.

Married 4 times (3 children). On the TV soap "All My Children" for 30 years (Emmy nominee).

Lead/co-star Ian Bannen (71) 1928-1999.

Reliable, Scottish actor, Oscar nominated best support for "The Flight of the Phoenix". Also in "A Tale of Two Cities" (1958), "Mister Moses", "The Hill", "Penelope", "The Macintosh Man", "Bite the Bullet" good western, "Eye of the Needle", "Gandhi", "Gorky Park", "Hope and Glory", "Braveheart", "Waking Ned Devine", etc.

Was married 23 years when he died in an auto accident.

Co-star/support Slim Pickens (64) 1919-1983.

Big, rangy actor, remembered as the cowboy who rides a nuclear bomb onto it's target in "Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb". Also in "One-Eyed Jacks', "In Harm's Way", "Will Penny", "The Cowboys", "Blazing Saddles" hilarious at the campfire, "The Getaway", "The Howling", etc.

Married with 3 children. Appeaed in many westerns at the start of his career. Brother of Easy Pickens (no kiddin').

Was Stanley Kubrick's first choice to play the role of Dick Hollaran in the film "The Shining" (1980). Pickens declined, saying that after enduring Kubrick's notorious style of multiple retakes in "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (1964), he had no desire to work for Kubrick again. Subsequently, the role Hollaran went to Scatman Crothers.

Co-star/support Katherine DeMille (83) 1911-1995.

Dark, petite actess, in "Viva Villa!", "The Call of the Wild", "The Crusades", "Ramona", "The Calfornian", "Aloma of the South Seas" w/Jon Hall, "Black Gold" w/Anthony Quinn, DeMille's "Unconquered", etc.

Married to Anthony Quinn for 25 years (4 children of which 1 son drowned in W.C. Field's swimming pool). She was the adopted daughter of Cecil B. DeMille.

Composer Bernard Herrmann (64) 1911-1975.

Exceptional composer, won Oscar for his score in "The Devil and Daniel Webster". Oscar nominated for "Citizen Kane", "Anna nad the King of Siam", "Taxi Driver", and "Obsession". Also scored "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "The Egyptian", "The Wrong Man", "A Hatful of Rain", "Vertigo", "North by Northwest", "Psycho", "Jason and the Argonauts", "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver", etc.

Married 3 times. His personal favorite score was for "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" w/Gene Tierney. Was never Oscar nominated for a Hitchcock film score. Unbelievable.

Lead/co-star Joan Davis (53) 1907-1961.

Zany, popular blonde actress, in "On the Avenue", "Wake Up and Live", "Thin Ice", "Sally, Irene and Mary", "My Lucky Star", "Hold That Ghost" hilarious opposite Abbott & Costello, "Sun Valley Serenade", "Show Business", "If You Knew Susie" w/Eddie Cantor, "Love That Brute", "Harem Girl", "The Groom Wore Spurs", etc.

Divorced (1 daughter, actress Beverly Wills). Star of the hit TV series "I Married Joan" (Emmy award nominee). Also a radio star.

Sadly, her mother, daughter and two grandsons died in a fire in October, 1963.

Lead/co-star Nelson Eddy (65) 1901-1967.

Stolid, blond-haired baritone, along with Jeanette MacDonald made movie magic in 8 films, including "Naughty Marietta", "Rose Marie", "Maytime", "Girl of the Golden West", "Sweethearts", "New Moon", "Bittersweet", and "I Married an Angel". Also in "Balalaika", "The Chocolate Soldier", "Phantom of the Opera", "Knickerbocker Holiday", etc.

Married 28 years. He had one child, Jon, with ex-girlfriend Maybelle Marston, born sometime in the early 1930s. It was revealed after he and Miss MacDonald died, that they actually did have an affair. He had a successful nightclub act.

Co-star/support Frieda Inescort (74) 1901-1976.

Always dependable actress, in "Dark Angel", "Mary of Scotland", "Tarzan Finds a Son!", "Pride and Prejudice", "The Letter" (rumor had it that Bette Davis disliked her), "You'll Never Get Rich", "Remember the Day" w/Colbert, "Mission to Moscow", "A Place in the Sun" as Liz Taylor's mother, "The Eddy Duchin Story" w/ Tyrone Power, "The Crowded Sky", etc.

Her husband of 35 years committed suicide. She suffered from MS.

In memory of those who died this day June 29th:

Gorgeous blonde actress Jayne Mansfield killed in auto accident in 1967 at age 34, appealing actor Bob Crane murdered in 1978 at age 49, darling character actress Jane Rose in 1979 at age 66, prolific director Henry King in 1982 at age 96. glamourous movie star Lana Turner in 1995 at age 74, chatty actress Pamela Mason in 1996 at age 80, grand character actor William Hickey in 1997 at age 68, handsome Italian actor Vittorio Gassman in 2000 at age 77, songbird Rosemary Clooney in 2002 at age 74, and supreme movie star Katharine Hepburn in 2003 at age 96.

Mongo

Born this day June 30th:

Lead/co-star Rupert Graves is 43.

Reliable British actor, in "Room with a View", "Damage", "The Madness of King George", "Intimate Relations" good role, Different for Girls" unusual drama, "Mrs. Dalloway", "Dreaming of Joseph Lees", "Rag Tale", "V for Vendetta", etc.

Married with 1 son. Has appeared on Broadway.

Lead/co-star Vincent D'Onofrio is 47.

Tall, solid actor from Brooklyn, gave an outstanding performance as Pvt. Pyle in "Full Metal Jacket", a role he gained 70lbs to do. Also in "Mystic Pizza", "Dying Young", "JFK", "The Player", "Malcolm X", "Ed Wood" as Orson Welles, "The Whole Wide World", "Imaginary Crimes", "Men in Black", "The Cell", "The Salton Sea", "Thumbsucker", etc.

Divorced twice (2 children). On the TV series "Law and Order: Criminal Intent". His name is pronounced 'Duh-noff-ree-o'. A stage actor.

Was quoted, "I took a route of acting, rather than starmaking, so it cost me a lot financially."

Lead/co-star Tony Musante is 70.

Dark-haired, brooding actor, in "The Incident", "The Detective", "The Grissom Gang", "The Last Run", "The Pope of Greenwich Village" good movie, "The Deep End of the Ocean", "The Yards", etc.

Married in 1962. Was star of the TV series "Toma" (Emmy award nominee). On numerous TV programs.

Lead/co-star Lena Horne is 89 today.

Beautiful, dynamic performer from Brooklyn, in "Panama Hattie", "Cabin in the Sky", "Swing Fever", "Stormy Weather" also her signature song, "Broadway Rhythm", "Ziegfeld Follies" (1946), "Till the Clouds Roll by", "Words and Music", "The Wiz", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Lost her father, husband and son in one year. Former mother-in-law of director Sidney Lumet. She performed at the Cotton Club in Harlem. Won a special Tony award for her smashing Broadway show "Lena Horne: The Lady and her Music".

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Susan Hayward (56) 1918-1975.

Superior, red-haired movie star from Brooklyn, won Oscar best actress as convicted murderer Barbara Graham in "I Want to Live!". Oscar nominated best actress for "Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman", "My Foolish Heart", "With a Song in My Heart" (she won Golden Globe award), and "I'll Cry Tomorrow". In "Beau Geste", "Reap the Wild Wind", "I Married a Witch", "The Hairy Ape", "Tap Roots", "Tulsa", "House of Strangers" good drama, "Rawhide" w/Tyrone Power, "The Lusty Men", "The President's Lady", "The Honey Pot", "Back Street", "Valley of the Dolls" (replaced Judy Garland), etc.

Divorced from actor Jess Barker (twin sons). Was a sormy marriage, and she attempted suicide. A happier second marriage ensued.

Was diagnosed with brain cancer, allegedly the result of being exposed to dangerous radioactive toxins on location in Utah while making "The Conqueror" (1956). All the leads John Wayne, Agnes Moorehead, John Hoyt, Hayward and the director Dick Powell died of cancer. The case is still a scandal.

Co-star/support Nester Paiva (61) 1905-1966.

Veteran character actor in close to 200 films. On screen since 1937 in "Union Pacific", "Beau Geste", "Primrose Path", "The Sea Hawk", "Hold Back the Dawn", "Johnny Eager", "Kismet", "The Southerner" good movie, "Humoresque", "Young Man with a Horn", "Viva Zapata!", "Tarantula" good horror, etc.

Married (2 children). He had a natural gift for dialects.

Lead/co-star Glenda Farrell (66) 1904-1971.

Delightful blonde, wisecracking 'dame', in "Little Caesar", "Three on a Match", "I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang", "Mary Stevens, M.D.", "Lady for a Day", "Gold Diggers of 1935", "Go Into Your Dance" w/Al Jolson, "Little Big Shot", "Smart Blonde", "Johnny Eager", "Girls in the Night", etc. Also starred as reporter "Torchy Blane" in a series of films.

Married twice (1 son). Won an Emmy award for her guest appearance on TVs "Ben Casey". Is buried at West Point U.S. Military Academy in New York.

Lead/co-star Madge Bellamy (90) 1899-1990.

Silent movie star, remembered in "Lorna Doone", and "The Iron Horse". In 60 films including Fox's first talkie, "Mother Knows Best".

When she refused to star in "The Trials of Mary Dugan", she was dismissed and the part went to Norma Shearer.

Was married for 3 days in 1928. In 1943 she ended up shooting her millionaire lover when he jilted her to marry another woman. Also a stage actress. Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Co-star/support George Chandler (86) 1898-1985.

Essential character actor in over 300 films. As Hope Emerson said in "Westward the Women", he had a face like a mackeral. In "Fury", "Libled Lady", "A Star Is Born", "Saratoga", "Mannequin" w/Crawford, "The Shopworn Angel", "Jesse James", "Beau Geste", "Tobacco Road", "Lady of Burlesque", "The Ox-Bow Incident", "Magic Town", "Battleground", "The High and the Mighty", etc.

Appeared on TVs "Lassie" with June Lockhart. Was president of the Screen Actors Guild from 1960 thru 1963.

In memory of those who died this day June 30th:

Comic actress Mary Livingstone (Mrs Jack Benny) in 1983 at age 78, playwright/screenwriter Lillian Hellman in 1984 at age 79, reliable character actor King Donovan in 1987 at age 69, delightful character actor Gale Gordon in 1995 at age 89, chubby comedian Buddy Hackett in 2003 at age 78, and lovely starlet Constance Smith in 2003 at age 75.

Mongo

Born this day July 1st:

Lead/co-star Dan Aykroyd is 54.

Comedic actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Driving Miss Daisy". Also in "The Blues Brothers", "Trading Places", "Ghost Busters", "Coneheads", 'Exit to Eden", "Tommy Boy", "Grosse Pointe Blank", "50 First Dates", "Christmas with the Kranks", etc.

Married since 1983 (3 daughters). Once engaged to Carrie Fisher. Original cast member of TVs "Saturday Night Live". Has one brown eye and one blue eye.

Lead/co-star Genevieve Bujold is 64.

Talented French-Canadian actress, Oscar nominated best actress for "Anne of the Thousand Days". Also in "Earthquake", "Swashbuckler", "Obsession" good mystery, "Coma" good stuff, "Murder by Decree", "Choose Me", "Dead Ringers", etc.

Divorced from director Paul Almond (1 son Matt). She gave up the demanding job of Captain of the USS Voyager ("Star Trek: Voyager" (1995)) after only one day of filming. Kate Mulgrew followed her into the Captain's Chair.

Lead/co-star Karen Black is 67.

Versatile blonde actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Five Easy Pieces" (she won New York Film Critics award). Also in "Easy Rider", "A Gunfight", "Portnoy's Complaint", "The Great Gatsby", "Airport '75", "The Day of the Locust" good role in outstanding film, "Nashville", "Family Plot", "Burnt Offerings", "Firecracker", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Her TV work includes the chilling "Trilogy of Terror" in a smashing performance.

Director/producer Sydney Pollack is 72.

Essential filmmaker, won Oscar best director for "Out of Africa". Oscar nominated for "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?", and "Tootsie". Also helmed "This Property Is Condemned" w/Natalie Wood, "The Slender Thread", "Jeremiah Johnson" good movie, "The Way We Were", "Three Days of the Condor", "Absence of Malice", "The Firm", "Sabrina", etc.

Married since 1958 (3 children). Has made acting cameos in a few films. Has hosted "The Essentials" on TCM.

Lead/co-star Leslie Caron is 75.

French beauty, encouraged by Gene Kelly, for her debut role in "An American in Paris". Oscar nominated best actress for "Lili" and "The L-Shaped Room" (she won Golden Globe award). In "Man with a Cloak", "The Story of Three Loves", "The Glass Slipper", "Daddy Long Legs", "Gigi", "Fanny", "Father Goose", "Valentino", "Damage", "Chocolat", etc.

Married 4 times (2 children).

Lead/co-star Farley Granger is 81.

Reliable, good-looking actor, in "The Purple Heart", Hitchcock's "Rope", "They Live by Night", "Enchantment", "Roseanna McCoy", "Side Street", "Our Very Own" w/Ann Blyth, "Strangers on a Train", "Edge of Doom", "I Want You", "Small Town Girl", etc.

Remains single, has kept company with both sexes. Was a close friend of Shelley Winters. Scored in the play "Deathtrap" on Broadway. Made numerous films in Europe. Last on screen in 2001.

Lead/co-star Olivia de Havilland is 90 today.

Beautiful, talented actress, won Oscar best actress for "To Each His Own" and for "The Heiress". Oscar nominated best support for "Gone With the Wind", and for best actress in "Hold Back the Dawn" and "The Snake Pit". In "Captain Blood", "The Adventures of Robin Hood", "Dodge City", "The Strawberry Blonde" w/Cagney, "In This Our Life", "Devotion", "The Dark Mirror" as twins, "My Cousin Rachel", "Not as a Stranger", "Lady in a Cage", "Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte", "The Swarm", etc.

Married twice (2 children, of which she lost her son in 1991). Sister of Joan Fontaine (both born in Tokyo, Japan). Relations between de Havilland and younger sister Joan Fontaine were never all that strong and worsened in 1941, when both were nominated for 'Best Actress' Oscar awards. Their mutual dislike and jealousy escalated into an all-out feud after Fontaine won for "Suspicion" (1941). Despite the fact de Havilland went on to win two Academy Awards of her own, they remained permanently estranged. Last in a TV movie in 1988.

She is living in Paris, where she continues to write her autobiography.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Constance Ford (69) 1923-1993.

Strong, dependable actress, could be a ****, in "The Last Hunt", "A Summer Place" as Sandra Dee's mother, "Home from the Hill" as a floozy, "Claudelle English", "Rome Adventure", "All Fall Down", "The Caretakers" w/Robert Stack, etc.

On numerous TV shows. She played the character of Ada on the soap "Another World" for 25 years. Also on Broadway.

Co-star/support Peg Entwistle (24) 1908-1932.

Pretty starlet, and former stage actress, appeared in only one film "Thirteen Women".

On September 18, 1932, after a night of drinking and feeling depressed, she climbed the 50 foot "H" on the Hollywood sign (then named Hollywoodland, a real estate development) and dived head first onto the ground killing herself instantly. Peg was only 24 years old and today is best known for her suicide rather than for her acting skill.

Director William Wyler (79) 1902-1981.

Great Hollywood filmmaker, won Oscar best director for "Mrs. Miniver", "The Best years of Our Lives", and "Ben-Hur". Oscar nominated for "Dodsworth", "Wuthering Heights", "The Letter", "The Little Foxes", "The Heiress", "Detective Story", "Roman Holiday", "Friendly Persuasion", and "The Collector". Also helmed, "These Three", "Come and Get It", "Dead End", "Jezebel", "The Westerner", "The Desperate Hours", "The Big Country", "The Children's Hour", "Funny Girl", etc.

Married to actress Margaret Tallichet (4 children). Bette Davis' favorite director, they had an affair.

Was quoted, "I'm here to make good pictures. If I don't see it, I won't touch it. I may not make a good picture, but I still gotta believe in it!" (way to go, Mr. Wyler).

Lead/co-star Charles Laughton (63) 1899-1962.

Immeansly talented actor, won Oscar best actor for "The Private Life of Henry XIII". Oscar nominated best actor for "Mutiny on the Bounty" as Bligh, and "Witness for the Prosecution". Also in "The Old Dark House", "The Sign of the Cross" as Nero, "If I Had a Million" hilarious cameo, "Island of Lost Souls", "The Barretts of Wimpole Street", "Ruggles of Red Gap", "Les Misarables", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", "Tales of Manhattan", "This Land Is Mine", "The Canterville Ghost", "The Paradine Case", "The Big Clock", "The Bribe", "Hudson's Choice", "Spartacus", etc.

Married to Elsa Lanchester for 33 years, although rumors of homosexuality existed. Directed the movie classic "Night of the Hunter" (his only effort as director). Also a stage director. He discovered Maureen O'Hara, for Hitchcock's "Jamaica Inn".

In memory of those who died this day July 1st:

Silent comedy star Ben Turpin (cross-eyed fella) in 1940 at age 70, charming child star Virginia Weidler in 1968 at age 42, essential actor Robert Mitchum in 1997 at age 79, prominent director Edward Dmytryk in 1999 at age 90, lovely actress Sylvia Sidney in 1999 at age 88, crooner Guy Mitchell in 1999 at age 74, comic delight Walter Matthau in 2000 at age 79, and dynamic actor Marlon Brando in 2004 at age 80.

Mongo

Farley Granger was in a long-term relationship with playwrite/screenwriter Arthur Laurents; the latter wrote extensively about this relationship in his autobiography Aurthur Laurents: A Memoir of Broadway and Hollywood.

Born this day July 2nd:

Lead/co-star Lindsay Lohan is 20.

Attractive actress/singer, in "The Parent Trap", "Freaky Friday", "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen", "Mean Girls" good role, "Herbie Fully Loaded", "A Prairie Home Companion" (getting good reviews), "Just My Luck", etc.

She has red hair and freckles. Began modeling at age 3.

Along with Tara Reid, Paris Hilton, Nicky Hilton, Bijou Phillips, Kimberly Stewart, and Nicole Richie, Lohan is one of Hollywood's most famous party girls.

Lead/co-star Ron Silver is 60.

Versatile, talented actor, in "Semi-Tough", "The Entity", "Best Friends", "Silkwood", "Garbo Talks" good role, "Enemies: A Love Story" good role, "Blue Steel", "Reversal of Fortune", "Timecop", "Ali", "Find Me Guilty", etc.

Divorced (2 children). On the TV series "Rhoda" and "Veronica's Closet". A stage actor, he won a Tony award.

Co-star/support Polly Holliday is 69.

Dependable actress, remembered as the sassy Flo on the TV series "Alice" (she won a Golden Globe award). In "W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings", "All the President's Men", "The One and Only", "Gremlins", "Moon Over Parador", "Mrs. Doubtfire", "Mr. Wrong", "The Parent Trap", etc.

A Tony award nominee for Big Mama in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". Made numerous appearances on TV including a recurring role on "Home Improvement".

Co-star/support Robert Ito is 75.

Reliable Asian-American actor, in "Some Kind of a Nut", "Soylent Green", "The Terminal Man", "Rollerball", "Pepper", "Midway", "Crazy People", "Hollow Point", "The Omega Code", etc.

Remembered as Sam on TVs "Quincy". Last on screen in 2002. A former dancer with the National Ballet of Canada.

Co-star/support Sidney Kibrick is 78 today.

Former child actor in the "Our Gang" comedy shorts as the one and only 'Woim'.

Last on screen in 1943. In 2002 he commented on the gang, in an "E! True Hollywood Story" episode.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Brock Peters (78) 1927-2005.

Essential African-American actor, in "Carmen Jones", "Porgy and Bess", "To Kill a Mockingbird" memorable role as the man on trial, "The Pawnbroker", "The Incident", "Soylent Green", "Ghosts of Mississippi", "The Last Place on Earth", etc.

A widower (1 daughter). Spent 7 years on the soap "The Young and the Restless". He read the eulogy at Gregory Peck's funeral.

Co-star/support Barbara Colby (35) 1940-1975.

Promising actress, in "Petulia", "memory of Us", "California Split", "Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins", etc.

Former daughter-in-law of Ethel Merman. On the TV series "Phyllis" with Cloris Leachman.

She and actor James Kiernan were walking to their parked car after teaching an acting class in Los Angeles, when they were gunned down by two men for no apparent reason. The killers were never caught, and the crime remains unsolved.

Co-star/support Kenneth McMillan (56) 1932-1989.

Heafty, raspy-voiced character actor, in "Serpico", "The Stepford Wives", "Oliver's Story", "Hide in Plain Sight", "True Confessions", "Ragtime" as the biggoted fireman, "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" as the judge, "The Pope of Greenwich Village", "Dune", "Cat's Eye" in the segment on the ledge, etc.

Was married with 1 daughter.

Lead/co-star Estelita Rodriguez (37) 1928-1966.

Cuban fireball in many westerns supporting Roy Rogers. Also in "Havana Rose", "The Fabulous Senorita", "Tropic Zone" w/Ronald Reagan, "Rio Bravo", "Jesse James meets Frankenstein's Daughter" (no kiddin'), etc.

Married 4 times including to actor Grant Withers. Mother of 1 daughter. Had an affair with studio mogul Herbert J, Yates.

Was preparing to star in the life story of Lupe Velez at the time of her sudden death, which still remains suspicious. Although influenza has been patently listed, the cause of death was never made public. She was found dead on the kitchen floor of her Los Angeles-area home.

Co-star/support Catherine McLeod (75) 1921-1997.

Beautiful actress, in "Forever Yours", "The Harvey Girls", "Courage of Lassie", "I've Always Loved You" glossy soap with classical music, "So Young, So Bad" w/Anne Francis, "A Blueprint for Murder", "The Outcast", "Tammy Tell Me True", "Lipstick", etc.

Married to actor Don Keefer (3 sons). She appeared on various TV programs and soaps. While making the made for TV movie "Vanished" (1971), she was not very fond of the star Richard Widmark.

Co-star/support Ken Curtis (74) 1916-1991.

Craggy character actor, remembered as Festus on the TV mega-hit "Gunsmoke". In "Rio Grande", "The Quiet Man", "The Long Gray Line", "Mr. Roberts", "The Searchers", "Wings of Eagles", "Cheyenne Autumn", etc.

Was the son-in-law of director John Ford (hence the movie roles). He was once a vocalist with the Tommy Dorsey orchestra.

In memory of those who died this day July 2nd:

Prolific writer Ernest Hemingway committed suicide in 1961 at age 61, essential character actor George Macready in 1972 at age 73, gorgeous movie star Betty Grable in 1973 at age 56, lovely actress Lee Remick in 1991 at age 55, delightful actor Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster) in 1993 at age 66, attractive model/actress Margaux Hemingway committed suicide in 1996 at age 41, supreme actor James Stewart in 1997 at age 89, writer/composer Kay Thompson in 1998 at age 88, author Mario Puzo ('The Godfather') in 1999 at age 78, and screenwriter Ernest Lehman in 2005 at age 89.

Also aviatrix Amelia Earhart disappeared this day in 1937 at age 39.

Mongo