Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

1,027 posts in this topic

Hey Mongo,

Thanks for including the newer/ younger Lindsay Lohan.

Personal problems aside I think she's an extremely talented actress.

J.

Hear, hear! I also think Ms. Lohan shows great promise. I just saw her yesterday in Robert Altman's Prarie Home Companion. I just hope she can survive her own personal life.

J., I usually make an attempt to keep up with the birthday's of younger stars, and

possibly stars of the future.

I hear from young members on occasion reminding me of birthdays of the newer stars, which I'm happy to post.

Born this day July 3rd:

Lead/co-star Tom Cruise is 44.

Essential, talented movie star, Oscar nominated best actor for "Born on the Fourth of July" (won Golden Globe award), "Jerry Maguire" (won Golden Globe award), and for best support in "Magnolia" (won Golden Globe award). Also in "Risky Business", "All the Right Moves", "Top Gun", "The Color of Money", "Rain Man", "Days of Thunder", "A Few Good men", "The Firm", "Interview with the Vampire", "Vanilla Sky", "The Last Samurai", "Collateral", "The War of the Worlds", etc.

Divorced from Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman (2 adopted children). Has a daughter Suri with actress Katie Holmes.

Director Ken Russell is 79 today.

Daring, controversial filmmaker, Oscar nominated best director for "Women in Love". Also helmed "The Devils", "The Boyfriend" w/Twiggy, "Savage Messiah", "Tommy" rock musical, "Lisztomania", "Valentino", "Altered States", "Crimes of Passion", "The Lair of the White Worm", etc.

Married 4 times (5 children).

Posthumous

Co-star/support Susan Peters (31) 1921-1952.

Lovely, promising starlet, Oscar nominated best support as Kitty in "Random Harvest". Also in "Santa Fe Trail", "Meet John Doe", "The Strawberry Blonde", "The Big Shot" w/Bogart, "Tish" w/Marjorie Main, "Song of Russia", "The Sign of the Ram" good role, etc.

Divorced from director Richard Quine (1 adopted son). On a hunting trip in 1945, her rifle accidentally discharged, which paralyzed her from the waist down. She had a TV series in 1951 playing a paralyzed lawyer.

After the show folded, the actress, who was constantly racked with pain, went into virtual seclusion suffering from acute depression. Plagued by kidney problems and pneumonia, she lost her will to live and died at age 31 on October 23, 1952, as a result of starving herself to death. A sad and unnecessary end to such a beautiful spirit.

Co-star/support Louise Allbritton (58) 1920-1979.

Beautiful blonde actress, usually played the other woman, in "Who Done It" w/Abbott & Costello, "Pittsburgh" w/Dietrich, "Fired Wife", "Son of Dracula" good entry w/Lon Chaney Jr., "Her Primitive Man", "The Egg and I", "Sitting Pretty" funny movie, "An Innocent Affair", etc.

Was married to news reporter Charles Collingwood. Also worked on TV.

Lead/co-star George Sanders (65) 1906-1972.

Debonair leading man adept at playing ruthless characters and cads with a pinch of humor. Won Oscar best support for his role as Addison DeWitt in "All About Eve". Also in "Strange Cargo", "Green Hell", "Rebecca", "Foreign Correspondent", "The Black Swan", "This Land Is Mine", "The Lodger", "The Picture of Dorian Gray", "The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry", "Hangover Square", "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", "Lured", "Forever Amber", "Samson and Delilah", "Death of a Scoundrel", etc. Also appeared in the movie series of "The Saint" and "The Falcon" of which he offered to his brother Tom Conway.

Married 4 times including to Zsa Zsa Gabor and her sister Magda. During a dueling scene with Tyrone Power in "Solomon and Sheba", Power suffered a fatal heart attack, and was replaced by Yul Brynner.

Sadly, he committed suicide, leaving a note, "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck"

Co-star/support Doris Lloyd (71) 1896-1968.

Dependable British character actress in close to 200 films including silents. She supported many top stars, in "Waterloo Bridge" (1931), "Back Street", "Oliver twist", "Becky Sharp", "Mutiny on the Bounty", "Kind Lady", "The Old maid", "Vigil in the Night", "Til' We Meet Again", "The Letter", "The Great Lie", "Suspicion", "The Wolf Man", "Night Monster", "The Constant Nymph", "The Lodger", "To Each His Own", etc.

Also did some TV work.

Co-star/support Richard Cramer (71) 1889-1960.

A grand ugly, nasty villain, on screen since 1928 in over 200 films. He has menaced Laurel & Hardy in a few films including "Saps at Sea" as Nick with his gun Nick Jr.

He is reminiscent of the TCM tough guy logo.

Lead/co-star Leon Errol (70) 1881-1951.

Bald-pated comedy star on screen since 1924 in over 160 films, including numerous shorts. He is remembered in the "Mexican Spitfire" film series with Lupe Valez.

Was hilarious in his rubberlegged drunk routines.

Showman George M. Cohan (64) 1878-1942.

Contray to tradition, the patriotic George M. Cohan was not born on the Fourth of July.

He made about 4 films in his career, however he was the toast of Broadway with his numerous hit musicals of which he wrote. His many popular songs included, "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "Over There", "Give My Regards to Broadway", "Mary", "Harrigan", etc.

At the end of each stage performance he would say, "My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you and I thank you"

Today, Mr. Cohan lives through the magnificent performance of James Cagney, as the wonderful showman in the movie "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

In memory of those who died this day July 3rd:

Make-up artist Wally Westmore in 1973 at age 67, reliable character actor James Daly in 1978 at age 59, dependable actor Ross Martin in 1981 at age 61, crooner/actor Rudy Vallee in 1986 at age 84, silent screen star Viola Dana in 1987 at age 90, 'Dead End Kid' Gabriel Dell in 1988 at age 68, comic actor and voice of Mr. Magoo Jim Backus in 1989 at age 76, replacement stooge Joe DeRita in 1993 at age 83, and tap dance whiz Harold Nicholas in 2000 at age 79.

Mongo

************BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY**********

Lead/co-star Gina Lollobrigida is 79.

Italian beauty, in "Beat the Devil" w/Bogart, "Bread, Love and Dreams", "Trapeze", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" w/Anthony Quinn, "Never So Few", "Solomon and Sheba", "Go Naked in the World", "Come September", "Woman of Straw", "Strange Bedfellows", "Hotel Paradiso", "Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell" a Golden Globe nominee best actress, etc.

Divorced after 22 years (1 son). She became a famous photographer. Her nickname is 'LaLollo'.

Writer/producer Neil Simon is 79.

Prolific playwright, whose works have been adapted for the screen with hilarious results, including "The Odd Couple", "Plaza Suite", "The Sunshine Boys" my favorite, "California Suite", "I Ought to Be in Pictures", "Only When I Laugh", "Chapter Two", "Brighton Beach Memoirs", "Lost in Yonkers", "Biloxi Blues", etc. Also screen originals "The Out-of-Towners", "The Heartbreak Kid", "Murder by Death", "The Goodbye Girl", "The Cheap Detective", "Max Dugan Returns", etc.

Married 4 times including to Marsha Mason, and currently to Elaine Joyce. Oscar nominated 4 times for best screenplay, and numerous Tony award nominations and wins.

Lead/co-star Eva Marie Saint is 82.

Talented, cool blonde, won Oscar best support for "On the Waterfront". Also in "A Hatful of Rain" (Golden Globe nominee best actress), "Raintree County", "North by Northwest", "Exodus", "All Fall Down", "36 Hours", "The Sandpiper", "The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming", "Grand Prix", "The Stalking Moon", "Loving", "Because of Winn-Dixie", etc.

Married since 1951 (2 children). Five time Emmy award nominee (won 1).

Lead/co-star Gloria Stuart is 96 today.

Beautiful blonde actress, Oscar nominated best support as Old Rose in "Titanic" (also a Golden Globe nominee). In over 70 films including "The Old Dark House", "The Invisible Man" w/Claude Rains, "Roman Scandals", "The Gold Diggers of 1935", "The Prisoner of Shark Island" good drama about Dr. Mudd, "Poor Little Rich Girl" w/Shirley Temple, etc.

Married twice (1 daughter). Last on screen in 2004. Is rumored to be settled into the Motion Picture Country Home.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Stephen Boyd (45) 1931-1977.

Handsome, rugged actor, in "The Man Who Knew Never Was", "Island in the Sun", "The Bravados", "Woman Obsessed" w/Susan Hayward, "The Best of Everything", "Ben-Hur" (won Golden Globe award best support), "Lisa", "Jumbo" w/Doris Day, "The Fall of the Roman Empire", "The Oscar", "Fantastic Voyage", "The Bible", etc.

His two marriages lasted less than a year. Played his last role in an episode of TVs "Hawaii Five-O". Died of a heart attack while playing golf.

Lead/co-star George Murphy (89) 1902-1992.

Reliable actor and hoofer, in "Broadway Melody of 1938", "Little Miss Broadway", "Broadway Melody of 1940", "Little Nellie Kelly" w/Garland, "Tom, Dick and Harry", "For Me and My Gal", "Bataan", "Battleground", "It's a Big Country", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Received an honorary Oscar in 1951. He hosted TVs "MGM Parade", which is aired on TCM. Appeared in Broadway musicals with his former wife.

Co-star/support Henry Armetta (57) 1888-1945.

Endearing Italian character actor, in over 150 films (many pre-codes) since 1915. In "Seventh Heaven", "In Old Arizona", "Madame X", "Scarface", "Prosperity" w/Marie Dressler, "The Devil's Brother" w/Laurel & Hardy, "Viva Villa!", "Imitation of Life" w/Colbert, "Dust Be My Destiny", "The Big Store", "Anchors Aweigh" as the hamburger man, etc.

Married for 25 years (3 children). Also a stage actor.

In Hollywood, Armetta slowly gained a name for himself as a character actor, and by the end of the decade, he had carved a niche for himself as a portrayer of humorous and sympathetic Italian immigrants, a position he maintained into the 1940s.

Hollywood mogul Louis B. Mayer (72) 1885-1957.

Successful movie mogul and producer of MGM Studios, which presented grand entertainment throughout the decades.

Married twice (2 daughters, including Irene Selznick). Left daughter Edith and her husband out of his will.

He was the highest paid business executive throughout the 1930s. Was quoted, "I want to make beautiful pictures about beautiful people", and that he did. Received an honorary Oscar in 1951.

In memory of those who died this day July 4th:

Lovely starlet Judy Tyler killed in auto accident in 1957 at age 23, pretty

and appealing actress Anne Shirley in 1993 at age 75, bubbly, glamourous actress Eva Gabor in 1995 at age 76, and lovely blonde actress June Haver in 2005 at age 79.

A HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO ONE AND ALL!

Mongo

Born this day July 5th:

Lead/co-star Edie Falco is 43.

Talened blonde actress, perfecto as Carmela Soprano on the HBO hit series "The Sopranos", for which she won numerous awards. In "Sweet Lorraine" w/Maureen Stapleton, "Laws of Gravity", "Bullets Over Broadway", "The Funeral", "Cop Land", "A Price Above Rubies", "Random Hearts", "Sunshine State", "Freedomland", etc.

Unmarried, she adopted a baby boy in 2004. Has had a relationship with actor Stanley Tucci. Also appeared on the HBO prison series "Oz". A prominent stage actress.

Co-star/support Shirley Knight is 70.

Essential blonde actress, Oscar nominated best support for "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs", and "Sweet Bird of Youth". Also in "Five Gates to Hell", "Ice Palace" w/Burton, "The Couch", "The Group", "The Rain People", "Endless Love", "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood", etc.

Married twice (2 daughters). Once a shapely actress, she has gained a bit of weight (ala Shelley Winters). Is outstanding in the TV movie "Indictment: The McMartin Trial", for which she won an Emmy award and a Golden Globe award. Won a Tony award for her work on Broadway.

Co-star/support Tommy Cook is 76.

Former chld actor, played Little Beaver in "The Adventures of Red Ryder", and as Kimbu in the "Nyoka the Jungle Girl" serial. Also in "Tarzan and the Leopard Woman", "Humoresque", "Cry of the City" as Richard Conte's brother, "Bad Boy" w/Audie Murphy, "Panic in the Streets", "Battle Cry", "Night Passage", etc.

Has done lots of TV work. He currently appears at Nostalgia events.

Co-star/support Katherine Helmond is 78 today.

Reliable actress (often quirky), in "The Hospital", "The Hindenburg", "Family Plot", "Baby Blue Marine", "Overboard", "Living in Fear", etc.

Married since 1962. On the TV series "Soap", "Who's the Boss" and as Debra's mom on "Everybody Loves Raymond". Nominated for 7 Emmy awards, she came up empty. Aso a Tony award nominee.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Billy 'Froggy' Laughlin (16) 1932-1948.

Former child actor, in 29 "Our Gang" comedy shorts, as the kid with the weird eye glasses and deep 'Popeye' voice.

Sadly, he was killed in a motor scooter accident.

Lead/co-star Warren Oates (53) 1928-1982.

Talented, intese actor (a natural villain), in "The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond", "Ride the High Country", "Major Dundee", "In the Heat of the Night", "The Hired Hand", "Dillinger" exceptional role, "Badlands", "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia", "The Brinks Job", "Stripes", "The Border", "Blue Thunder", etc.

Married twice (2 children). He once tested gags for the TV game show "Beat the Clock".

Lead/co-star Ilona Massey (64) 1910-1974.

Glamourous blonde Hungarian actress/singer (with a prominent beautymark on the right side of her face). In "Rosalie", Balalaika" with Nelson Eddy, "New Wine", "Invisible Agent", "Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man", "Love Happy" w/The Marx Bros., "Jet Over the Atlantic" w/Virginia Mayo, etc.

Married 4 times including to actor Alan Curtis. Hosted her own TV variety show in the 1950s. Appeared in the Ziegfeld Follies and on Broadway. A former Opera singer. She is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Was quoted, "My salvation is that I have known misery and hunger. In my youth in Budapest I didn't know the taste of meat until I was 7 years old. That's how poor my family was. If I'm well fed, well-dressed and have a home, what else is there for me to want?"

Co-star/support Milburn Stone (75) 1904-1980.

Grand character actor, remembered as Doc on the hit TV series "Gunsmoke" (he won an Emmy award). In films since 1935, including "The Milky Way", "They Gave Him a Gun", "Made for Each Other", "Young Mr. Lincoln", "Johnny Apollo" w/Tyrone Power, "Reap the Wild Wind", "Captive Wild Woman" eerie horror, "The Green Promise", "No Man of Her Own", "Pickup On South Street" exceptional noir, "The Long Gray Line", etc.

Was married at the time of his death.

Co-star/support Edward Woods (86) 1903-1989.

Dependable, good-looking actor, had the lead role in "Public Enemy", when director William Wellman decided that he switch roles with James Cagney, and the rest is film history. Also in "Bondage", "Tarzan the Fearless", "Dinner at Eight" as the bellboy, "The Fighting Lady", "Navy Blues", etc.

Last on screen in 1943. After film career, he worked in the promotion department of 20th Century-Fox in New York.

Co-star/support Tim Ryan (57) 1899-1956.

Reliable, slight character actor, on screen from 1936. In comedy shorts with his then wife Irene Ryan (Granny on TVs "The Beverly Hillbillies").

He appeared in over 130 films, up until his death.

In memory of those who died this day July 5th:

Beautiful blonde actress Carole Landis committed suicide this day in 1948 at age 29, delightful character actress Allison Skipworth in 1952 at age 88, dependable character actor Ben Alexander in 1969 at age 58, prominent director Leo McCarey in 1969 at age 70, reliable character actor Judson Laire (papa on TVs "Mama") in 1979 at age 76, supreme character actress Mildred Dunnock in 1991 at age 90, dependable singer/actress Roberta Sherwood in 1999 at age 86, and strong Mexican actress Katy Jurado in 2002 at age 78.

Mongo

When mentioning Katherine Helmond, would you mind if I tossed in her role in Terry Gilliam's Brazil? The glamorous Mr. Ida Lowry who grows younger as the movie progresses. The sight of her wearing that shoe hat is one of my favorite movie images...

>In memory of those who died this day July 5th:

>Beautiful blonde actress Carole Landis

>committed suicide this day in 1948 at age 29.

I just watched Moon Over Miami again last night for like the dozenth time.

It's sad to think that such a vibrant young woman had only a few years

left to live.

Born this day July 6th:

Lead/co-star Geoffrey Rush is 55.

Versatile British actor, won Oscar best actor for "Shine". Nominated best actor for "Quills", and best support for "Shakespeare in Love". Also in "Oscar and Lucinda", "Les Miserables", "Elizabeth", "House on Haunted Hill", "Frida", "The Banger Sisters", "Munich", etc.

Married since 1988 (2 children). In college, he roomed with Mel Gibson. Won Emmy award for HBOs "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers".

Lead/co-star Sylvester Stallone is 60.

Reliable, macho actor, Oscar nominated best actor for "Rocky" (also starred in sequels, of which another is on the way, "Rocky on Social Security"?). In "No Place to Hide", "The Lords of Flatbush", "Capone", "F.I.S.T.", "Paradise Alley", "Victory", "First Blood" as Rambo, "Tango and Cash", "Cop Land", "Get Carter", etc.

Married 3 times including to Brigitte Nielsen. Father of 5 children. Nickname is Sly. Brother of Frank Stallone.

Co-star/support Rosemary Forsythe is 60.

Tall, attractive blonde actress, in "Shenandoah" w/James Stewart, "The Warlord", "Texas Across the River", "What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?" Good chiller, "Some Kind of a Nut", "Gray Lady Down", "Exit to Eden", "Disclosure", etc.

Married twice including to actor Michael Tolan (1 child). Once involved with actor David Janssen from 1968-1971. They shared a home at one point. Also on TV.

Lead/co-star Ned Beatty is 69.

Talented, portly character actor, Oscar nominated best support for his role in "Network", and remembered as the rape victim in "Deliverance". Also in "The Last American Hero", "Nashville", "All the President's Men", "Superman", "The Big Easy", "Hear My Song", "Rudy", "He Got Game", "Cookie's Fortune", "The Beautiful Life", etc.

Married 4 times (8 children). In 2004 he played Big Daddy in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" on Broadway.

C0-star/support Merv Griffin is 81.

Capable actor and talk show host, in "Cattle Town", "So This Is Love" w/Kathryn Grayson, "Three Sailors and a Girl", "The Boy from Oklahoma", "Phantom of the Rue Morgue", "One Trick Pony", etc.

Divorced (1 son Tony). Dated Eva Gabor for years. A very successful business man, he created the hit game shows, "Jeopardy" and "Wheel of Fortune". Had 2 very popular talk shows which featured the giants of show business.

Co-star/support Billy & Bobby Mauch are 82.

Former child actors (twins), remembered as "The Prince and the Pauper" with Errol Flynn. Also in "Penrod and His Twin Brother", "Penrod's Double Trouble", etc.

Bobby left the screen in 1938 while Billy continued in films until 1951 (he later became a sound editor). Bobby lives in California and wrote a piece for Sybil Jason's book "My Fifteen Minutes," which was released in January of 2005. The once curly-haired actors are now bald.

Co-star/support Nancy Davis is 85 today.

Capable, petite actress, in "The Doctor and the Girl", "East Side, West Side", "The Next Voice You Hear", "It's a Big Country", "Talk About a Stranger", "Donovan's Brain" good sci-fi, "Hellcats of the Navy", etc.

The former first lady was married to Ronald Reagan for 51 years (2 children). She was the Goddaughter of silent screen star Alla Nazimova.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Janet Leigh (77) 1927-2004.

Appealing, curvaceous blonde actress, Oscar nominated best support as Marion Crane in Hitchcock's "Psycho" (she won Golden Globe award). Also in "Words and Music", "Act of Violence", "Little Women", "The Red Danube", "That Forsyte Woman", "Holiday Affair", "Angels in the Outfield", "Two Tickets to Broadway", "The Naked Spur", "Houdini", "Walking My Baby Back Home", "Pete Kelly's Blues", "The Vikings", "Touch of Evil" good role, "The Manchurian Candidate" w/Sinatra,

"Wives and Lovers", "Bye Bye Birdie", "Harper", etc.

Married 4 times including to Tony Curtis (parents of Jamie Lee Curtis). She was discovered by Norma Shearer. Also appeared on TV.

TCM is saluting the appealing actress all day today.

Co-star/support Luana Patten (57) 1938-1996.

Charming former child star in Disney's "Song of the South" and "So Dear to My Heart". Also in "Home from the Hill" as the girl Rafe marries, "Rock Pretty Baby", Disney's "Johnny Tremain", "The Restless Years", "The Young Captives", "Go Naked in the World", "A Thunder of Drums", etc.

Divorced from late actor John Smith. She suffered a long illness.

Co-star/support Cathy O'Donnell (44) 1925-1970.

Lovely, fragile actress remembered as Homer's girl Wilma in "The Best Years of Our Lives". Also in "The Amazing Mr. X", "They Live by Night" good film, "Side Street", "The Miniver Story", "Detective Story", "The Man from Laramie", "The Deerslayer", "The Story of Mankind", "Ben-Hur" as his sister, etc.

Was married to producer Robert Wyler (William's brother) for 22 years, up until her death.

Co-star/support Marie McDonald (42) 1923-1965.

Voluptuous blonde starlet, in "Pardon My Sarong" w/Abbott & Costello", "Lucky Jordon" w/Ladd, "I Love a Soldier", "Guest in the House", "Getting Gertie's Garter" fun film, "The Geisha Boy", "Promises! Promises!", etc.

Was married 7 times (mother of 3 children). Was nicknamed 'The Body'. Sadly, she committed suicide with an overdose.

In one of her many publicity stunts, police reports state that Marie was found on a desert road in her pajamas ranting and raving that she had been kidnapped from her home by two men.

Co-star/support Sabastian Cabot (59) 1918-1977.

Portly, bearded character actor, in "Ivanhoe", "The Captain's Paradise", "Kismet", "Omar Khayyam", "In Love and War", "Say One for Me" w/Crosby, "The Angry Hills", "Seven Thieves", "The Time Machine", etc.

Married 37 years (2 children). Remembered as Mr. French on the hit TV series "Family Affair". Nickname was Sabby.

Co-star/support Laverne Andrews (55) 1911-1967.

Capable actress and popular singer, along with her sisters Patty and Maxine sold close to 100 million records. In "Buck Privates", "Argentine Nights", "In the Navy", "Hold That Ghost", "Give Out, Sister", Disney's "Make Mine Music", etc.

The Andrews Sisters entertained the troops during WWII. Also appeared on TV variety shows.

Co-star/support Ralph Morgan (72) 1883-1956.

Dependable character actor in over 100 films including, "Strange Interlude", "No Greater Glory", "Magnificent Obsession", Human Cargo", "Anthony Adverse", "The Life of Emile Zola", "Mannequin" w/Crawford, "Geronimo" good role, "The Mad Doctor", "Night Monster", "Jack London", "The Monster Maker", "The Creeper", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Brother of 'The Wizard of Oz' Frank Morgan.

In memory of those who died this day July 6th:

Reliable blonde starlet Anne Nagel in 1966 at gae 50, grand character actress Marjorie Rambeau in 1970 at age 80, jazz great Louis Armstrong in 1971 at age 69, essential child/juvenile actor Brandon De Wilde in 1972 at age 30, comic delight Joe E. Brown in 1973 at age 80, dependable actor Patrick McVey in 1973 at age 63, reliable, sassy actress Gail Patrick in 1980 at age 69, dependable actor Cameron Mitchell in 1994 at age 76, 'King of the Cowboys' Roy Rogers in 1998 at age 86, and essential director John Frankenheimer in 2002 at age 72.

Mongo

Born this day July 7th:

Lead/co-star Bill 'Billy' Campbell is 47.

Reliable, good-looking actor, in "The Rocketeer", "Dracula", "Gettysburg", "****", "Under the Hula Moon", "The Brylcreem Boys", "Enough" as a wife abuser who get's his due, "The Rising Place", "Gods and Generals", etc.

A confirmed bachelor, he dated Jennifer Connelly for 5 years, and Virginia Madsen for 8 years. On the TV series "Once and Again" (Golden Globe nominee), and "The O.C.". Appeared totally nude in the TV mini-series "Tales of the City" as a gay man. He is heir to the Champion spark plug fortune.

Co-star/support Shelley Duvall is 57.

Talented, slender actress, in "McCabe and Mrs. Miller", "Thieves Like Us", "Nashville", "Annie Hall", "3 Women" good role, "The Shining" exceptional role, "Popeye" perfecto as Olive Oyl, "Time Bandits", "Frankenweenie", "Roxanne", "Dreams in the Attic", etc.

Single, she was last on screen in 2002. She won praise for her TV series "Faerie Tale Theatre".

Co-star/support Ringo Starr is 66 today.

Popular drummer, along with his group the fantastic Beatles starred in "A Hard Day's Night", "Help!", "Yellow Submarine" etc., went solo in "Candy", "200 Motels", "Sextette" w/Mae West, "Caveman" actually funny, etc.

Married twice, currently to lovely Barbara Bach. Father of 3 children. Of the millions of records sold, the Beatles won an Oscar and Grammy award for the song "Let It Be".

Posthumous

Co-star/support Vince Edwards (67) 1928-1996.

Reliable, dark Italian actor from Brooklyn, is remembered for his TV role as "Ben Casey". In "Rogue Cop", "Cell 2455 Death Row", "Serenade" w/Mario Lanza, "The Killing" good noir, "The Three Faces of Eve", "City of Fear", "Murder by Contract", "Too Late Blues", "The Outsider", "The Victors" good war drama, etc.

Married 3 times (2 children). He had a twin brother. Also recored a few albums.

Co-star/support Jackie Searl (69) 1921-1991.

Former child actor, in "Tom Sawyer", "Skippy" w/Jackie Cooper, "Huckleberry Finn", "Sooky", "Topaze" w/John Barrymore, "Alice in Wonderland", "Ginger" w/Jane Withers, "Little Lord Fauntleroy", "My Little Chickadee", "The Bride Goes Wild", "The Paleface", etc.

He joined the service during WWII, and found it difficult getting roles after the war. Appeared on TV.

Lead/co-star Yul Brynner (70) 1915-1985.

Exotic leading man, proving that bald is beautiful, won Oscar best actor for his role in "The King and I". Also in "The Ten Commandments", "Anastasia", "The Brothers Karamazov", "The Buccaneer", "The Journey" w/Deborah Kerr, "The Sound and the Fury", "Solomon and Sheba", "The Magnificent Seven", "Westworld" good stuff, "Future World", etc.

Married 4 times including to actress Virginia Gilmore. Father of 5 children. Had a hot affair with Marlene Dietrich, who adored him.

A heavy smoker he filmed a strong message against smoking which was aired after his death from cancer. He is laid to rest in France.

Director George Cukor (83) 1899-1983.

Splendid moviemaker, won Oscar best director for "My Fair Lady". Oscar nominated for "Little Women" (1933), "The Philadelphia Story", "A Double Life", and "Born Yesterday". Also helmed "David Copperfield", "Camille", "The Women", segments of "Gone With the Wind", "A Woman's Face", "Gaslight", "A Star Is Born" w/Garland, "etc.

A gay gent, he was a close friend to Katharine Hepburn (he directed her in 10 films including 2 for TV). He was famous for the parties he threw later in life for large groups of directors, many parties being attended by other directing legends such as Alfred Hitchcock, John Ford, Luis Bu?uel, and George Stevens. Also famous as a sophisticated, witty personality but was also in the habit (mainly to be naughty) of blurting out unexpected profanities.

Frances Goldwyn [Frances Howard], wife of mogul Samuel Goldwyn, is buried next to Cukor at her request because of her long, but unrequited love for him.

Co-star/support Raymond Hatton (84) 1887-1971.

Grand character actor in over 350 films, mostly westerns, including the series "Rough Rider" and "The Three Mesquiteers". Also appeaed as the sidekick of western hero Johnny Mack Brown.

Was married for 62 years. His last film role was in "In Cold Blood" as a hitchhiker. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In memory of those who died this July 7th:

Sterling movie star Vivien Leigh in 1967 at age 53, peek-a-boo blonde Veronica Lake in 1973 at age 53, essential character actor Reginald Gardiner in 1980 at age 77, prominent producer Dore Schary in 1980 at age 74, reliable, versatile actor Keefe Brasselle in 1981 at age 58, and grand character actress Flora Robson in 1984 at age 82.

Mongo

Born this day July 8th:

Lead/co-star Billy Crudup is 38.

Talented, good-looking actor, in "Sleepers", "Everyone Says I Love You", "Grind", "The Hi-Lo Country", "Jesus' Son" unusual drama, "Almost Famous" good role, "Charlotte Gray", "Big Fish", "Stage Beauty", "Mission: Impossible III", etc.

Kept company with actress Mary-Louise Parker for 7 years, and when she was 7 months pregnant, he left her for actress Claire Danes (his co-star in "Stage Beauty"). Miss Parker had a boy. He is also a Broadway star.

Lead/co-star Kevin Bacon is 48.

Essential, versatile actor, in "Animal House", "Friday the 13th.", "Diner", "Footloose", "She's Having a Baby", "Tremors", "The River Wild" (He was a Golden Globe nominee), "Apollo 13", "Murder in the First" exceptional role, "Sleepers" as a sadistic guard, "Wild Things", "Mystic River", "Hollow Man", "The Woodsman" good role, "Loverboy", "Beauty Shop", etc.

Is married to actress Kyra Sedgwick since 1988 (2 children). Plays in the Bacon Brothers Band with his brother Michael. Inspired the game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. Is not shy about appearing nude in films.

Lead/co-star Anjelica Huston is 55.

Striking actress, won Oscar best support for "Prizzi's Honor". Nominated best actress for "The Grifters" good movie, and best support for "Enemies: A Love Story". Also in "The Last Tycoon", "Frances", "This Is Spinal Tap", "The Dead", "The Witches", "The Addams Family" as Morticia, "The Perez Family", "The Crossing Guard" (she got a Golden Globe nomination), "Agnes Browne" good role, "The Royal Tanenbaums", "Blood Work", etc.

Married since 1992. She lived with Jack Nicholson for 16 years. Daughter of director John Huston. Granddaughter of Walter Huston.

Was quoted, "There were many times when my father and I didn't agree, but we always became close again because I tended not to stand up to him for long. I seem to have been drawn to dominating men, like my father and Jack."

Co-star/support Jeffrey Tambor is 62 today.

Tall, 'weird and Wacky' character actor, in "Mr. Mom", "The Man Who Wasn't There", "No Small Affair", "Brenda Starr", "City Slickers", "Big Bully", "Doctor Dolittle" as Dr. Fish, "There's Something About Mary", "Meet Joe Black", "****", "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" as the Mayor of Whoville, etc.

Married since 2001 (1 son). Also has a daughter Molly who made him a grandpa. On the HBO TV series "The Larry Sanders Show" and currently on "Arrested Development" (Emmy nominee for both shows).

Posthumous

Co-star/support Marty Feldman (49) 1933-1982.

Hilarious bug-eyed comic, in "Young Frankenstein" as Igor, "The Adventures of Sherlock Holme's Smarter Brother", "Silent Movie" (he received a Golden Globe nomination), "The Last Remake of Beau Geste", "In God We Trust", "Yellowbeard", etc.

Married in 1959 up until his death. Also a writer, he starred on the UK TV series "Marty".

Although it's reported he died of shellfish poisoning, director Mel Brooks provides a further explanation for his early death. According to Brooks, Feldman smoked about half a carton of cigarettes a day and drank copious amounts of black coffee (the tannic acid in coffee, which can be partly neutralized by milk, increases the risk of heart attack). He was also vegetarian and compensated for the lack of meat in his diet by eating large amounts of eggs and dairy products, clogging his arteries. The high altitude of Mexico City, where Feldman was filming "Yellowbeard" (1983), would have added still more stress by forcing his heart and lungs to work harder. The food poisoning would only have been the final straw. He is buried at Forest Lawn not far from his idol Buster Keaton. I miss Marty Feldman.

Co-star/support Craig Stevens (81) 1918-2000.

Handsome, dependable actor, in "Dive Bomber", "Since You Wents Away", "Humoresque", "The Man I Love" w/Lupino, "Where the Sidewalk Ends", "Drums in the Deep South" w/Barabra Payton, "Phone Call from a Stranger", "The French Line", "The Deadly Mantis", "S.O.B.", etc.

Married to lovely Alexis Smith for 49 years. Starred as "Peter Gunn" on the hit TV series (a Golden Globe nominee). Was gonna be a dentist.

Co-star/support Glenn Langan (73) 1917-1991.

Capable, virile actor, remembered for his role as "The Amazing Colossal Man". Also in "Four Jills in a Jeep", "A Wing and a Prayer", "Hangover Square", "A Bell for Adano", "Sentimental Journey", "Dragonwyck", "Forever Amber", "The Snake Pit", etc.

Married to lovely Adele Jergens for 40 years (1 son who predeceased his mother). He also appeared on TV.

Co-star/support Faye Emerson (65) 1917-1983.

Blonde beauty, in "Blues in the Night", "Juke Girl", "Air Force", "The Desert Song", "Between Two Worlds", "The Mask of Demitrios", "The Very Thought of You", "Hotel Berlin", "Nobody Lives Forever", "Guilty Bystander", etc.

Married 3 times including to band leader Skitch Henderson and once the daughter-in-law of FDR. Appeared as a panelist on TV game shows of the 1950s. Is a 2 time Emmy award nominee.

Co-star/support Eugene Pallette (65) 1889-1954.

Rotund, frog-voiced character actor on screen since 1913 in close to 250 films. In "Bordertown", "My Man Godfrey", "Topper", "One Hundred Men and a Girl", "The Adventures of Robin Hood" as Friar Tuck, "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "The Mark of Zorro", "The Lady Eve", "The Bride Came C.O.D.", "The Big Street", "Heaven can Wait", "The Gang's All Here", etc.

Married twice. After WWII paranoia set in and he bought property in Oregon, which he turned into a compound is case the Russian's attacked the United States. He was also a bigot, which eventually ended his career.

In memory of those who died this day July 8th:

Delicious villain Frank Lackteen in 1968 at age 70, reliable actor Michael Wilding in 1979 at age 66, former child actor Don Gift (Fodderwing in "The Yearling") in 1979 at age 54, rugged actor Howard Duff in 1990 at age 76, dependable blond-haired actor James Franciscus in 1991 at age 57, and comic actor Dick Sargent (Darren #2 on "Bewitched") in 1994 at age 64.

Sorry this is late, just had to watch the terrific women's tennis final at Wimbledon. Viva la Mauresmo!

Mongo

Born this day July 9th:

Co-star/support Courtney Love is 42.

Imposing, platium blonde actress/singer, in "Sid and Nancy", "Basquiat", "Feeling Minnesota", "The People Vs. Larry Flint" (she won New York Film Critics award, and a Golden Globe nomination), "200 Cigarettes", "Man on the Moon" w/Jim Carrey, "Julie Johnson" good role, "Trapped", etc.

Was married to the late rock star Kurt Cobain (1 daughter). Had her own band 'Hole'. In much trouble with the law involving drugs and unruly behavior. Spent early years in hippie communes. Has admitted to having plastic surgery. Has been announced she will play the life of porn star Linda Lovelace.

Lead/co-star Tom Hanks is 50.

Popular movie star, won back to back best actor Oscars' for "Philadelphia" and "Forrest Gump". Nominated best actor for "Big", "Saving Private Ryan", and "Cast Away". Also in "Splash", "Bachelor Party", "A League of Their Own", "Apollo 13", 'You've Got Mail", "The Green Mile" good movie, "Road to Perdition", "The Terminal", "The Da Vinci Code", etc.

Married twice including to Rita Wilson. Father of 4 children. Appeared on the TV series "Bosom Buddies".

Lead/co-star Jimmy Smits is 51.

Talented Latino actor, in "Hot Spot", "The Believers" good chiller, "Old Gringo" w/Peck, "Vital Signs", "Switch", "My Family" good role, "Price of Glory", "The Million Dollar Hotel", "Bless the Child", etc.

Divorced (2 children). Living with actress Wanda De Jesus. On the TV series "L.A. Law", "NYPD Blue", and "The West Wing". Nominated for 11 Emmy awards, he won 1.

Lead/co-star Chris Cooper is 55.

Essential actor, won Oscar best support for his role in "Adaptation" (without many teeth). Also in "City of Hope", "This Boys Life", "Lone Star" good role in a good movie, "A Time to Kill", The Horse Whisperers", "American Beauty", "The Patriot", "Interstate 60", "Seabiscuit", "Silver City", "Capote", "Jarhead", etc.

Married since 1983 (his only child, a son died from cerebral palsy). Also appeared on the Broadway stage.

Lead/co-star Richard Roundtree is 64.

African-American action hero remembered as "Shaft", and the sequels (he won a Golden Globe nomination). In "Earthquake", "Man Friday", "Diamonds", "Day of the Assassin", "Q", "Young Warriors", "City Heat", "Se7en", "Steel", "Boat Trip", etc.

Married and divorced twice (6 children). Became the first icon for blaxploitation films of the 1970s. Diagnosed with breast cancer in 1993, he is an advocate now and talks to men's groups about early detection. Has appeared on TVs "Desperate Housewives" as Mr. Shaw.

Co-star/support Brian Dennehy is 68 today.

Burly, prolific actor on screen since 1977, in "Semi-Tough", "F.I.S.T", "Foul Play", "10", "First Blood", "Split Image" good movie, "Cocoon", Silverado", "F/X" good stuff, "Gladiator", "Tommy Boy", "Summer Catch", "She Hate me", etc.

Married twice (4 children). Made notable TV appearances (5 Emmy award nominations). Won Tony awards for his powerful Broadway performances.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Susan Cabot (59) 1927-1986.

Attractive starlet in "B" films, including "Tomahawk", "Flame of Araby" w/Jeff Chandler, "The Battle at Apache Pass", "Son of Ali Baba", "Gun Smoke", "Ride Clear of Diablo", "Houseboat", "Machine-Gun Kelly" w/Charles Bronson, "The Wasp Woman", etc.

Married twice (one son, a dwarf, was convicted in her death, a homicide). She had a fling with Jordan's King Hussain. Also did TV work.

Lead/co-star Kay Aldridge (77) 1917-1995.

Former model and cover-girl, remembered as Nyoka the Jungle Girl in the "Perils of Nyoka" serial. Also in a host of "B" flicks.

Left the screen in 1945 to marry and raise a family.

Lead/co-star Eddie Dean (91) 1907-1999.

Former western country singer, became a singing cowboy in over 50 westerns. His sidekick was 'stuttering' Roscoe Ates.

Married close to 70 years (2 children). Also a composer, he wrote "Hillbilly Heaven", among other hits. Had his own TV series.

He used four different horses during his westerns: War Paint, White Cloud, Copper and Flash. His career can be summed up in a review of one of his films by a caustic "New York Times" critic: "Instead of the usual black and white, Eddie Dean's newest western has been shot in Cinecolor, but it's not an improvement; you can still see him."

In memory of those who died this day July 9th:

Talented Latino actor Rafael Campos in 1985 at age 49, essential, passionate actor Rod Steiger in 2002 at age 77, and comic African-American actress Isabel Sanford in 2004 at age 86.

Mongo

Born this day July 10th:

Lead/co-star Adrian Grenier is 30.

Good-looking actor from Brooklyn, in "The Adventures of Sabastian Cole", "Dive Me Crazy", "Cecil B. DeMented", "Harvard Man", "Artificial Intelligence: AI", "Hart's War", "Tony and Tina's Wedding", "A Perfect Fit", "The Devil Wears Prada" w/Meryl Street, etc.

Is currently dating. On the HBO series "Entourage" as Vincent. Lead singer of the band 'Kid Friendly'.

Lead/co-star Chiwetel Ejiofor is 32.

Talented British actor of Nigerian parentage, gave a praised performance in "Dirty Pretty Things" (won a few awards). Also in "Amistad", "Love Actually", "She Hate me", "Melinda and Melinda", "Four Brothers", "Kinky Boots" hilarious movie, "Inside Man" w/Denzel Washington, etc.

Also a stage actor. Nickname is Chewy.

Co-star/support Sue Lyon is 60.

Lovely blonde actress, caused a sensation as the teenager "Lolita" w/James Mason (she won a Golden Globe award). Also in "Night of the Iguana", "7 Women", "The Flim-Flam Man", "Tony Rome", "Evel Knievel", "End of the World", etc.

Married 4 times (1 daughter). As a child she modeled for J.C. Penny catalogs. She has retired from the screen.

[On "Night of the Iguana" co-star Richard Burton] "Richard Burton drank so much at night the next morning the alcohol literally oozed out of his pores. He gave off a terrible odor, playing a scene with him could be most unpleasant."

Co-star/support Carleton Carpenter is 80 today.

Lanky, reliable actor, in "Lost Boundaries", "Father of the Bride", "Summer Stock", "Two Weeks with Love" in which he sang 'Aba, Daba Honeymoon' with Debbie Reynolds, "Vengeance Valley", "Fearless Fagan" w/Janet Leigh, "Sky Full of Moon" w/Jan Sterling, "Take the High Ground!", etc.

Also a composer, he has appeared on TV and on Broadway.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Nick Adams (36) 1931-1968.

Appealing, blond-haired actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Twilight of Honor". Also in "Mister Roberts", "Rebel Without a Cause" (became friends with James Dean), "Picnic", "Our Miss Brooks", "Sing, Boy, Sing" w/Tommy Sands, "Teacher's Pet", "No Time for Sergeants", "Pillow Talk", "The FBI Story", "Hell Is for Heroes", "The Interns", etc.

Was married with 2 children. He played Johnny Yuma on TVs "The Rebel". While taking drugs for a nervous condition, he overdosed.

Spent $8,500 on advertising to win a 1963 Best Supporting Actor Academy Award nomination for "Twilight of Honor" (1963), but lost the award on Oscar night to Melvyn Douglas in "Hud" (1963). Reportedly was devastated by the loss as he was sure he would win the Oscar.

Co-star/support Fred Gwynne (76) 1926-1993.

Talented 6'5" actor remembered as Herman Munster on TVs "The Munsters". Also in "On the Waterfront", "Munster Go Home", "So Fine", "The Cotton Club", "Fatal Attraction", "Ironweed", "Pet Semantary", "Shadows and Fog", "My Cousin Vinny" as the Judge, etc.

Married twice (5 children). On TVs "Car 54, Where Are You?" Also on Broadway.

Co-star/support Jeff Donnell (66) 1921-1988.

Sweet, dependable actress, in "My Sister Eileen", "Mr. Winkle Goes to War" w/Edward G. Robinson, "Roughshod", "The Fuller Brush Girl", "Walk Softly, Stranger", "Skirts Ahoy!", "The Blue Gardenia", "Sweet Smell of Success" , "The Comic", etc.

Married 4 times including to Aldo Ray. Mother of 2 children. She played Alice on TVs George Gobel Show.

Had a key role in the critically lauded film "Sweet Smell of Success" (1957) as Tony Curtis' secretary, but her role was cut extensively, including a big romantic scene with Curtis, that might have reignited her movie career.

Lead/co-star Joan Marsh (87) 1913-2000.

Platinum blonde actress on screen since 1915 (many pre-codes), in "Inspiration" w/Garbo, "Politics", w/Marie Dressler, "Speed Demon", "Anna Karenina", "Charlie Chan on Broadway", "Idiot's Delight" w/Norma Shearer, "Road to Zanzibar", etc.

Married twice. She was reported to have the smallest feet in Hollywood, size 2AAA. Retired from film and went into the stationery business (Paper Unlimited).

Co-star/support Slim Summerville (56) 1892-1949.

Essential character actor, slim indeed, in over 200 films including silents. In "All Quiet on the Western Front" good role, "The Bad Sister" w/Davis, "Airmail", "Way Down East", "Captain January" good role, "White Fang", "The Road Back", "Jesse James", "Tobacco Road", etc.

Also in a series of comedies with Zazu Pitts.

Died of a stroke on January 5, 1946, at the not-so-old age of 56. He left a strong enough legacy, however, to be remembered as one of the screen's more reliable comedians. He was survived by his wife Eleanor and son Elliot.

Director/producer Sam Wood (66) 1883-1949.

Essential filmmaker, Oscar nominated best director for "Goodbye Mr. Chips", "Kitty Foyle", and "Kings Row". Also helmed "Christopher Bean", "A Night at the Opera", "A Day at the Races", "Madame X", segments of "Gone With the Wind", "Our Town", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Pride of the Yankees", "Saratoga Trunk", "Ivy", etc.

Father of actresses K.T. Stevens and Jeane Wood.

In memory of lovely starlet Jody Lawrence who died this day in 1986 at age 55, and exceptional voice-over master of Warner Bros. cartoons Mel Blanc in 1989 at age 81.

Mongo

Oops:

Of course the name of one of our great actresses is spelled Meryl Streep, and one of my favorites.

Born this day July 11th:

Co-star/support Justin Chambers is 36.

Reliable, good-looking actor, in "Liberty Heights", "The Wedding Planner" as Massimo, "The Musketeer", "For Which It Stands", "Southern Belles", "The Zodiac", etc.

Married since 1993 (5 children). On the TV series "Grey's Anatomy" as Dr. Alex Karev. Has a twin brother.

Co-star/support Bruce McGill is 56.

Dependable character actor, in "Animal House" as 'D-Day', "Silkwood", "Wildcats", "No Mercy", "End of the Line", "The Last Boy Scout", "My Cousin Vinny", "A Perfect World", "The Legend of Bagger Vance", "Collateral", "Cinderella Man", "Slow Burn", etc.

Married since 1994. On the TV series "Quantum Leap", and "Wolf Lake".

Lead/co-star Tab Hunter is 75 today.

Hunky, blond-haired teen idol, in "Island of Desire" w/Linda Darnell, "Track of the Cat", "Battle Cry", "The Sea Chase" w/Wayne, "The Girl He Left Behind" w/Natalie Wood, "Damn Yankees!", "They Came to Cordura" w/Rita Hayworth, "Ride the Wild Surf", "The Loved One", "Polyester" in Odorama, "Lust in the Dust" w/Divine, "Out of the Dark", etc.

Enlisted in the Coast Guard at age 15 (lied about his age). Had his own TV show, and a hit record "Young Love". On the TV series "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman". Last on screen in 1992.

Following the likes of Richard Chamberlain, Tab released his tell-all 2005 memoir revealing his homosexuality. The book entitled "Tab Hunter Confidential: The Making of a Movie Star" outlines a late 1950s relationship with actor Anthony Perkins that lasted several years. Other briefer flings mentioned included dancer Rudolf Nureyev, actor Scott Marlowe and ice-skater Ronnie Robertson. He is happy today, living on his horse ranch with his partner of many years.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Bernard Punsly (80) 1923-2004.

Hefty member of the 6 original 'Dead End Kids', in "Dead End", "Crime School", "Angels with Dirty Faces", "Hells Kitchen", "They Made Me a Criminal" w/Garfield, "On Dress Parade", etc.

Married 53 years (1 child). He left the screen and became a doctor of internal medicine. Was the last surviving member of the original gang.

In February 1994, Bernard appeared with fellow ex-Dead End Kid Huntz Hall at a ceremony in which the gang received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Lead/co-star Gene Evans (75) 1922-1998.

Talented, burly, harsh-voiced character actor, in "The Asphalt Jungle", "The Steel Helmut", "I Was an American Spy" w/Ann Dvorak, "Ace in the Hole" aka "The Big Carnival", "Fixed Bayonets", "Park Row", "Donovan's Brain", "The Bravados", "Revolt in the Big House", "Operation Petticoat", "Walking Tall", "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid", etc.

On the TV series "My Friend Flicka", and made numerous TV guest appearances. Although he often played tough, snarling sergeants, gunslingers or cops, in reality Evans had very poor eyesight and could barely see without his glasses.

Co-star/support Irene Hervey (89) 1909-1998.

Attractive actress, notably James Stewart's lady friend in "Destry Rides Again". Also in "Three Godfathers", "Bombay Clipper", "Frisco Lil", "Night Monster", "Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid" fun movie, "Chicago Deadline", "Cactus Flower", "Play Misty for Me", etc.

Divorced from crooner Alan Jones (parents of Jack Jones). Also appeared on TV.

Co-star/support Thomas Mitchell (70) 1892-1962.

Great character actor, won Oscar best support for "Stagecoach", and nominated for John Ford's "The Hurricane" (in both roles he was soused). Also in "Craig's Wife", "Lost Horizon", "Make Way for Tomorrow", "Only Angels Have Wings", "Mr. Smith Goes to washington", "Gone With the Wind" as patriarch Gerald O'Hara, "Our Town", "The Black Swan", "The Outlaw", "The Fighting Sullivans", "It's a Wonderful Life" as Uncle Billy, "High Noon", "Destry" w/Audie Murphy, "Pocketful of Miracles", etc.

Was married twice. He is also a Tony and Emmy award winner. They don't make acors like him anymore.

In memory of those who died this day July 11th:

Grand composer George Gershwin in 1937 at age 38, prominent character actor Ray Collins in 1973 at age 63, essential actor Robert Ryan in 1973 at age 63, attractive starlet Peggy Knudsen in 1980 at age 57, superior actor Laurence Olivier in 1989 at age 82, reliable supporting actor Richard Travis in 1989 at age 76, lovely starlet Dorothy Hart in 2004 at age 82, and blonde songbird Frances Langford in 2005 at age 91.

Mongo

Born this day July 12th:

Co-sar/support Topher Grace is 28.

Promising, appealing actor, spent 7 seasons as Eric Forman, on the hit TV series "That '70s Show". In "Traffic", "Pinocchio" voice of Lucignolo, "Mona Lisa Smile", "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!", "P.S.", "In Good Company", "Spider-Man 3" (awaiting release date), etc.

Didn't like being called Chris as a kid so he changed his name to Topher, by dropping "chris" from Christopher, for show business.

Co-star/support Sian Barbara Allen is 60.

Attractive starlet, in "You'll Like My Mother" good chiller, for which she won a Golden Globe nomination, "Sixteen", "Billy Two Hats", etc.

Fared better in made for TV movies and guest appearances.

Dated Richard Thomas in the 1970s. Last on TVs "L.A. Law" in 1990.

Lead/co-star Bill Cosby is 69,

Essential comedic actor, in "Uptown Saturday Night", "Let's Do It Again", "Mother, Jugs and Speed", "California Suite", "The Devil and Max Devlin", "Ghost Dad", "The Meteor Man", etc.

Married since 1964 (5 children, of which a son Ennis was shot to death in 1997). On the TV series "I Spy", and the popular "The Bill Cosby Show" (won Emmy and Golden Globe awards).

Has had problems with women claiming to have had affairs with him. Hmmmm,

Posthumous

Co-star/support Keith Andes (85) 1920-2005.

Capable, hunky blond actor, in "The Farmer's Daughter", "Clash by Night" as MMs fella, "Split Second" good drama, "Away All Boats", "Back from Eternity" remake of 'Five Came Back', "Interlude", "The Girl Most Likely", "Model for Murder", etc.

Married twice (2 sons). On Broadway opposite Lucille Ball in "Wildcat!". In the 1970s he semi-retired and ran charter boats to Catalina and Mexico from the Los Angeles area.

Sadly, his final years were marred by extreme ill health, including bladder cancer, and he committed suicide in his Santa Clarita, California home.

Co-star/support Beah Richards (80) 1920-2000.

Essential African-American character actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" as Poitier's mother. Also in "The Miracle Worker", "Gone Are the Days", "In the Heat of the Night", "The Great White Hope", "Mahogany", "Homer and Eddie", "Beloved", etc.

Divorced. She had 3 books published. Also won a Tony and Emmy award.

Co-star/support Joe DeRita (83) 1909-1993.

Portly, comic actor, the last replacement stooge as Curly-Joe, along with Moe Howard and Larry Fine, before the hilarious team ended.

In "Have Rocket Will Travel", "Snow White and the Three Stooges", "The Three Stooges Meet Hercules", etc. Also in "Thank Your Lucky Stars", "The Bravados", "4 for Texas", etc.

Was married for 25 years. His headstone reads: Curly-Joe DeRita "The Last Stooge".

Lead/co-star Milton Berle (93) 1908-2002.

Beloved comedy star, in "Tall, Dark and Handsome", "Sun Valley Serenade", "Whispering Ghosts", "Over My Dead Body", "Always Leave Them Laughing" w/Virginia Mayo, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", etc.

Married 5 times (3 children). Rumors have persisted that Mr. Berle had a love child with a prominent starlet, in the 1940s. The cigar chomping comic was 'Mr. Television' as Uncle Miltie. He appeared on Broadway and in the Ziegfeld Follies.

Director/producer Tod Browning (80) 1882-1962.

Essential filmmaker of the macabre, making 9 films with the the master Lon Chaney, including "The Unholy Three", "The Unknown", "London After Midnight", "West of Zanzibar", etc. Into talkies, he helmed "Dracula" w/Lugosi, "Freaks", "Mark of the Vampire", "The Devil-Doll", etc.

Married twice. Also a silent film actor. He received a Directors Guild of America Life Member award in 1948.

In memory of those who died this day July 12th:

Producer Buddy Adler in 1960 at age 51, horror star Lon Chaney Jr. in 1973 at age 67, master cinematographer James Wong Howe in 1976 at age 76, and prominent director Joshua Logan in 1988 at age 79.

Mongo

Born this day July 13th:

Co-star/support Didi Conn is 55.

Petite sweetie from Brooklyn, remembered as Frenchy in the musical "Grease" w/John Travolta. Also in "You Light Up My Life", "Almost Summer", "Violet", "Grease 2", "Thomas and the Magic Railroad", "Frida", etc.

Married to composer David Shire since 1984 (1 son).

Lead/co-star Cheech Marin is 60.

Latino comedy star, along with Tommy Chong, made a splash in "Up in Smoke", "Nice Dreams", "Things Are Tough All Over", "Still Smokin", "Yellowbeard", etc. Also in "Born in East L.A.", "Tin Cup", "Paulie", "Cars" voice of Ramone, etc.

Married twice (3 children). On the TV series "Nash Bridges".

Lead/co-star Harrison Ford is 64.

Ruggedly handsome movie star, Oscar nominated best actor for his role in "Witness". Also in "American Graffiti", "The Conversation", "Star Wars" as Han Solo, "Apocalypse Now", "Raiders of the Lost Ark" as Indiana Jones (also in sequels), "Blade Runner", "The Mosquito Coast" (Golden Globe nominee), "Working Girl" good stuff, "Regarding Henry", "Patriot Games", "The Fugitive" (Golden Globe nominee), "Sabrina" (Golden Globe nominee), "Air Force One", "Random Hearts", "What Lies Beneath", etc.

Married twice (4 children). Is canoodling with Calista Flockhart. Has appeared in the higest grossing films of all time. Is prepping to appear in his final "Indiana Jones" movie.

Co-star/support Robert Forster is 65.

Good-looking, dependable actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Jackie Brown". Also in "Reflections in a Golden Eye" as Brando's crush, "The Stalking Moon", "Medium Cool", "The Don Is Dead", "The Black Hole", "South Beach", "American Perfekt", "Psycho" remake, "Diamond Men", "Mulholland Drive", "Lone Hero", "Firewall", etc.

Married twice (4 children). Was the star of the TV series "Banyon".

Co-star/support Patrick Stewart is 66 today.

Talented, bald actor, in "Excalibur", "Dune", "Lifeforce", "L.A. Story", "Robin Hood: Men in Tights", "Jeffrey", "X-Men" as Professor Xavier, etc.

Married twice (2 children). An Emmy and Golden Globe nominee. Has done theater work, and with his distinctive voice hosted TCMs wonderful documentary "MGM: When the Lion Roars". Is a fan of TVs "Beavis and Butthead".

Posthumous

Co-star/support Sidney Blackmer (78) 1895-1973.

Essential character actor in over 100 films, including "Little Caesar", "The Count of Monte Cristo", "Heidi", "The Last Gangster", "In Old Chicago" w/Alice Faye, "Suez" w/Tyrone Power, "Angels with Broken Wings", "Always in My Heart" w/Kay Francis, "Wilson" exceptional bio of the president, "Duel in the Sun", "The High and the Mighty", "High Society", "Rosemary's Baby" as Roman Castevet, etc.

Married twice (2 sons). Guested on numerous TV shows. An exceptional stage actor he Won a best actor Tony award for his role on Broadway in "Come Back, Little Sheba".

In memory of those who died this day July 13th:

Silent screen star Alla Nazimova in 1945 at age 66, reliable character actor/director Irving Pichel in 1954 at age 63, dependable co-star Alan Marshal in 1961 at age 52, prolific producer/director Jerry Wald in 1962 at age 50, silent screen star Corinne Griffith in 1979 at age 84, and admirable character actor John Alexander (Uncle 'Teddy', C-H-A-R-G-E!) in 1982 at age 84.

Mongo

Born this day July 14th:

Co-star/support Jackie Earle Haley is 45.

Former child actor, short and scrawney, in "The Day of the Locust" as the kid who get's stomped on, "The Bad News Bears" and sequels, "Damnation Alley", "Breaking Away" as Moocher, "Losin' It", "The Zoo Gang", "Dollman", "All the King's Men" as Sugar Boy, (to be released) etc.

Divorced (2 children). Has done voiceovers and appeared on Broadway. Is a successful television executive.

Co-star/support Jerry Houser is 55.Former chunky juvenile actor, remembered as 'Oscy' in the nostalgic movie "Summer of '42" and the sequel "Summer of '44". Also in "Bad Company", "Slap Shot" as 'Killer', "Magic" eerie film, "Seems Like Old Times", "Years of the Beast" as the drifter, etc.

On the TV series "Temperatures Rising" and "The Brady's" (1980s) as Wally.

His naturally high-pitched voice provides him constant work as a voice-over artist, usually providing the voice of a child or a teenaged character (last in 2003).

Lead/co-star Polly Bergen is 76.

Lovely, dependable actress, in "Warpath", "Fast Company", "Arena", "Cape Fear" good role, "The Caretakers", "Move Over Darling", "Kisses for My President", "A Guide for the Married Man", "Cry-Baby", "Paradise, Texas", etc.

Married 3 times (2 adopted children). Also in made for TV movies (Emmy nominee) and on Broadway (Tony award nominee). Had a good turn on HBOs "The Sopranos".

Lead/co-star Nancy Olson is 78.

Appealing, talented actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Sunset Blvd.". Also in "Union Station", "Force of Arms", "Big Jim McLain", "So Big", "Battle Cry", Disney's "Pollyanna", "The Absent Minded Professor", etc.

Two daughters (Liza and Jennifer) by first husband Alan J. Lerner. son by second husband Alan W. Livingston (former Chairman of the Board, Capitol Records). Last on screen in 1997. She's looking good today.

Co-star/support Harry Dean Stanton is 80.

Prolific character actor, in "The Proud Rebel", "Cool Hand Luke" sang some tunes, "Kelly's Heroes", "Two-Lane Blacktop", "Dillinger", "Farewell My Lovely", "Straight Time", "Alien", "The Rose", "Christine", "Paris, Texas", "Wild at Heart", "The Straight Story", "The Green Mile", "The Pledge", "Alpha Dog", etc.

He had his own band. He is a man set in his ways.

Lead/co-star Dale Robertson is 83 today.

Handsome, reliable actor, in "Two Flags West", "Call Me Mister" w/Betty Grable, "Take Care of My Little Girl", "The Outcasts of Poker Flats", "Lydia Bailey", "O. Henry's Full House", etc.

Married 5 times. Starred on the TV series "Tales of Wells Fargo". Was a former prize fighter. Served in the US Army during WWII. Last appeared on the boob tube in 1993.

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Terry-Thomas (78) 1911-1990.

Delightful gap-toothed comic actor in "tom thumb", "I'm All Right Jack", "Bachelor Flat", "The Mouse on the Moon" (Golden Globe nominee), "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", "The Last Remake of Beau Geste", "The Hound of the Baskervilles", etc.

Married twice (2 sons).

Lead/co-star Annabella (87) 1909-1996.

Beautiful French actress, in "Dinner at the Ritz", "Suez", "Tonight We Raid Calais", "Bomber's Moon", "13 Rue Madeleine", w/Cagney, etc.

Divorced from Tyrone Power. Had 2 daughters from 2nd. husband Oskar Werner. She made numerous films in France. Born Suzanne Georgette Charpentier.

Co-star/support Zita Johann (89) 1904-1993.

Romanian beauty, best remembered under the spell of "The Mummy" w/Karloff. Also in "Tiger Shark", "Luxury Liner", "The Man Who Dared", "The Sin of Nora Moran", "Raiders of the Living Dead", etc.

Married 3 times including to John Houseman of "The Paper Chase" fame.

Co-star/support George Tobias (78) 1901-1980.

Essential character actor, a member of the Warner Bros. stock company, in "Torrid Zone", "They Drive by Night", "City for Conquest", "East of the River", "The Strawberry Blonde", "Sergeant York", "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "The Set-Up", "Rawhide", "Marjorie Morningstar", etc.

He was a lifelong bachelor. Was Abner Kravitz on TVs "Bewitched".

The hearse containing his body was stolen on the way to the mortuary. Involved in a fender bender, the vehicle was stolen by carjackers while information was being exchanged by the occupants of the vehicles. The car and the body were found shortly after.

Co-star/support Donald Meek (68) 1878-1946.

Diminutive, bald character actor, played nervous, excitable little men. In "The Informer" good role, "Top Hat", "Captain Blood", "You Can't Take It with You", "Jesse James" w/Tyrone Power, "Stagecoach" good role, "My Little Chickadee", "A Woman's Face", "Come Live with Me", "Lost Angel", "State Fair", "Magic Town", etc.

Was married once. Also starred in a series of mystery shorts as Dr. Crabtree. Also a stage actor. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In the US as a young teen, he fought in the Spanish-American War at age 18 and contracted yellow fever. This is how he lost his hair so young and decided character work would be his calling in Hollywood.

In memory of those who died this day July 14th:

Impressive lead actor Preston Foster in 1970 at age 69, matinee idol of the 1930s Eric Linden in 1994 at age 84, and sweetheart starlet Meredith MacRae in 2000 at age 56.

Mongo

Hi Mongo,

Poor George Tobias! Imagine someone running off with his body.

I'm having visions of poor Gladys reacting: "Abner, ABNER!! They're stealing your corpse!!"........

Larry

Larry, knowing how the laid-back George Tobias was, I believe he would have have found the whole fiasco humorous, to say the least.

That was a funny quip about Gladys.

Born this day July 15th:

Lead/co-star Forest Whitaker is 45.

Essential African-American actor in "Fast Times at Ridgement High", "The Color of Money", "Platoon", "Good Morning, Vietnam", "Bird" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "The Crying Game" good role, "Jason's Lyric", "Phenomenon", "Panic Room", "Phone Booth", "American Gun", etc.

Married in 1996 (2 children). 1 son in prior relationship. He directed the movie "Hope Floats".

Lead/co-star Terry O'Quinn is 54.

Tall, balding, reliable actor, in "All the Right Moves", "Places in the Heart", "Mrs. Soffel", "SpaceCamp", "Black Widow", "The Stepfather" chilling role, "The Rocketeer", "Tombstone", "Primal Fear", "The X Files", "Old School", etc.

Married since 1979 (2 sons). On the TV series "Lost" as John Locke (Emmy nominee) and also on "The West Wing".

Co-star/support Patrick Wayne is 68.

Handsome, reliable actor, son of the Duke, in "Rio Grande", "The Quiet Man", "The Long Gray Line", "Mr. Roberts", "The Searchers", "The Alamo", "The Comancheros", "Shenandoah", "The Gatling Gun", "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger", etc.

Married since 1965. Numerous TV appearances, last in 1997. Was offered the role of "Superman" in the 1978 film, but declined because of his father's cancer.

Co-star/support Alex Karras is 71.

Stocky character actor, in "Blazing Saddles" as Mongo, "FM", "When Time Ran Out", "Victor/Victoria" good role, "Porky's", "Against All Odds", "Fudge-a-Mania", etc.

Married to actress Susan Clark (1 daughter). 5 children from prior marriage. On the TV series "Webster". A former pro football player. Last appeared on TV in 1998.

Co-star/support Joseph 'Joe' Turkel is 79.

Dependable actor from Brooklyn (usually a 'bad' guy), in "City Across the River", "The Glass Wall", "The Naked Street", "The Killing", "Jeanne Eagels", "Paths of Glory" good role as a doomed soldier, "The Purple Gang", "King Rat", "The Sand Pebbles" w/McQueen, "The St. Valentines Day Massacre", "The Animals", "The Hindenburg", "The Shining" as the bartender, "Blade Runner" as Eldon Tyrell, etc.

An avid reader. Also enjoys tap dancing.

Co-star/support Philip 'Phil' Carey is 81 today.

Rugged, dependable actor, in "Operation Pacific", "Force of Arms", "The Tanks Are Coming", "Calamity Jane" w/Doris Day, "Two Rode West", "The Long Gray Line", "Mister Roberts", "Tonka", "Black Gold", "Dead Ringer" w/Bette Davis, "Shadow of Fear", etc.

Married twice (4 children). On the TV soap "One Life to Live" as Asa (nominated for 4 Soap Digest awards). Sadly, in January he was diagnosed with lung cancer.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Murvyn Vye (63) 1913-1976.

Husky, reliable actor, in "Golden Earrings" as the Gypsy with gusto hot for Dietrich, "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", "Road to Bali", "Pickup on South Street" superior noir, "Pearl of the South Pacific" w/Virginia Mayo, "The Best Things in Life Are Free", "Voodoo Island", "River of No Return", "Green Fire", "Al Capone", "Pay or Die" good crime Drama, "The George Raft Story", etc.

Played a number of corrupt characters on TV. With a good voice he was a staple on Broadway.

Co-star/support Marjorie Rambeau (80) 1889-1970.

Grand character actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Primrose Path" as Ginger Rogers' prostitute mother and for "Torch Song" as Joan Crawford's mother. Also in "Min and Bill" as goodtime Bella, The Secret Six", "Laughing Sinners", "Hell Divers", "The Rains Came", "East of the River" as Mama Ravoli (no kiddin'), "Tobacco Road" as Sister Bessie, "Any Number Can Play", "A Man Called Peter" good role, "Slander", "Man of a Thousand Faces", etc.

Married 3 times. Appeared in silent films and on Broadway.

In memory of those who died this day July 15th:

Dependable German actor Peter van Eyck in 1969 at age 57, delightful character actress Florence Halop in 1983 at age 63, comice actor Benny Rubin in 1986 at age 87, talented British actress Margaret Lockwood in 1990 at age 78, reliable actor Bert Convy in 1991 at age 57, essential blond-haired actor David Brian in 1993 at age 78, and sweetie pie Dana Hill in 1996 at age 32.

Mongo

Patrick Wayne is 68??? My, how time flys! And, sorry to hear about Margaret Lockwood. She was a goodie! Had no idea. She died the same year as Greta. Maybe that's why I didn't notice.

Good Old Mongo,

My God you're good!! You remembered two long forgotten very great gentlemen, Dale Robertson and Phil(ip) Carey.

I knew that they had birthdays a day apart because I heard them talking about it.

The story:

In 1954, I went with Mercedes McCambridge to the Oscars. She was a presenter then and she had a seat but they had to find one for me. I was placed farther back between Dale Robertson and Phil Carey and we all got to talking and that's where I learned they had their birthdays a day apart. But, I never could remember when they were!! Now, I know....

Thanks, Mongo. Oh BTW, did I mention you are good!!!!!!

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Hey, Mongo.

Was Philip Carey also in the TV series "The Naked City" or am I thinking of the wrong person?

CharlieT

Nevermind. Just checked him out on IMDB and he wasn't on the series. I just can't place him.

CT