Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

1,027 posts in this topic

Larry, the birthday of the glamourous Binnie Barnes is on May 25th. Today is the anniversary of her death.

Indeed, Keenan Wynn is the son of comic Ed Wynn. It was in my notes but the old eyeballs skipped right over it.

By the way, it was Keenan who encouraged his father to begin acting in films, later in life. He went on to cop a best supporting Oscar nomination for "The Diary of Anne Frank".

Hey Mongo,

My old eyes are crossed and blurry too.... What a faux-pas congratulating old Bins on dying!!!!!

She would have laughed though, she was a great one for loving it when people put their feet in their mouths. And, I certainly did.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll ask her to sprinkle some stardust down form Heaven on you in Florida..... I'm sure she's up there on a cloud of white chiffon and mink.......

Larry

Born this day July 28th:

Co-star/support Sally Struthers is 58.

Cute-as-a-button blonde, remembered as Archie's little girl Gloria on TVs "All in the Family" (she won 2 Emmy Awards). In "Five Easy Pieces", "The Getaway" good role, "A Different Approach", "The Others", "A Month of Sundays", "Baadassss!", etc.

Divorced (1 daughter). Performs on the stage. Also on the TV series "Still Standing" and "The Gilmore Girls".

Co-star/support Darryl Hickman is 75 today.

Talented former child star, in "The Grapes of Wrath", "The Farmer's Daughter", "The Way of All Flesh", "Men of Boys Town", "Keeper of the Flame", "The Human Comedy", "Leave Her to Heaven" good role, "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers", "Island in the Sky", "Prisoner of War", "Tea and Sympathy", "The Tingler", "Sharkey's Machine", etc.

Married Pamela Lincoln (1 child). Does various voice-overs for TV shows. He is also an acting coach. Will join Robert Osbourne in Sepetember, along with other former child stars, on 'Private Screenings'.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Brenda De Bazie (65) 1915-1981.

Dependable British actress in "Hobson's Choice" w/Charles Laughton, "Doctor at Sea", "The Man Who Knew Too Much" as the sympathetic kidnapper, "House of Secrets", "The Entertainer" w/Laurence Olivier, "The Mark", "Come September", "I Thank a Fool", "The Pink Panther", "Pretty Polly" w/Haley Mills, etc.

A superior stage actress and Tony Award nominee. She died following surgery.

Co-star/support Woody Strode (80) 1914-1994.

Reliable bald-headed African-American actor, in "Androcles and the Lion", "The Ten Commandments", "Pork Chop Hill", "Sergeant Rutledge" good role, "Spartacus" he battles Kirk Douglas in the arena, "Two Rode Together", "7 Women", "The Cotton Club", "Lust in the Dust", "Posse", etc.

Married twice. Received a Golden Globe nomination best support for "Spartacus". Former decathlete and football star. Strode posed for one of 2 paintings commissioned by Hitler for the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin.

Co-star/support Laird Cregar (30) 1914-1944.

Talented, hulking character actor, in "Blood and Sand", "I Wake Up Screaming", "This Gun for Hire", "The Black Swan", "Heaven Can Wait", "The Lodger" exceptional performance, "Hangover Square", etc.

Sadly, during a crash diet (from 300lbs to 200lbs) he died of heart failure. His eulogy was delivered by Vincent Price.

Co-star/support Ann Doran (89) 1911-2000.

Veteran blonde character actress in numerous films, although remembered as the mother of James Dean in "Rebel Without a Cause". In "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town", "Holiday", "His Girl Friday", "Penny Serenade", "Meet John Doe", "So Proudly We Hail", "Pride of the Marines", "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers", "Pitfall", "The High and the Mighty" good role, "Island in the Sun", "Topaz", etc.

Also performed on numerous TV programs.

Co-star/support Bill Goodwin (48) 1910-1958.

Appealing actor, usually in 'good guy' roles, including "Wake Island", "Incendiary Blonde", "Spellbound", "To Each His Own", "The Jolson Story" good role, "Tea for Two" w/Doris Day, "Lucky Me", "The Opposite Sex", "Bundle of Joy", etc.

Radio announcer for Burns and Allen, Bob Hope, etc.

Lead/co-star Rudy Vallee (84) 1901-1986.

Essential actor/crooner, in "The Vagabond Lover", "Second Fiddle", "The Palm Beach Story", "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock", "I Remember Mama", "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer", "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying", etc.

Married 4 times including to lovely Jane Greer. He aided Alice Faye and Frances Langford to further their careers. He introduced the songs "Goodnight Sweetheart" and "As Time Goes singing through a megaphone.

Buried in the state of Maine, his headstone was once stolen. Was quoted, "People called me the guy with the **** in his voice. Maybe that's why in 84 years of life I've been with over 145 women and girls."

Lead/co-star Joe E. Brown (80) 1892-1973.

Rubberfaced, cavern mouthed comedy star, remembered for delivering one of the funniest last lines in a film, in "Some Like It Hot". In "Elmer the Great", "Son of a Sailor", "Alibi Ike", "A Midsummer Night's Dream", "Earthworm Tractors", "Joan of Ozark" w/Judy Canova, "Show Boat" good role as Cap'n Andy", "Around the World in 80 Days", etc.

Married, he lost a son during WWII. Received a special Tony Award. Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Lead/co-star Barbara La Marr (29) 1896-1926.

Beautiful, brassy and sassy silent screen star in films from 1920 thru 1926.

Married 5 times, she was quoted, "I like my men like I like my roses...by the dozen". Had an affair with John Gilbert.

She died of TB after which her best friend Zasu Pitts adopted and raised her child.

In memory of those who died this day July 28th:

Divine actress Marie Dressler in 1934 at age 65, grand character actress Beryl Mercer (Cagney's mom in "Public Enemy") in 1939 at age 56, jovial character actor Minor Watson in 1965 at age 75, Oscar winning composer Frank Loesser in 1969 at age 59, screenwriter George Seaton in 1979 at age 68, queen of the extras Bess Flowers in 1984 at age 85, western actor Jim Bannon in 1984 at age 73, dependable actor Grant Williams ("The Incredible Shrinking Man") in 1985 at age 54, reliable supporting actor Jeff Richards in 1989 at age 66, British actress Jill Esmond in 1990 at age 82, and child star Baby LeRoy in 2001 at age 69.

Mongo

Correction:

The correct spelling of the talented actress in today's Happy Birthday thread is Brenda De Banzie.

TOOMANYNOTES, it's my pleasure. I was also wondering why we didn't see a few Joe E. Brown flicks on TCM today. He certainly was a hoot.

Keep the Candygram on hold, since I may get a spurt of inspiration to continue.

Born this day July 29th:

Lead/co-star Stephen Dorff is 33.

Dependable actor, in "The Gate", "Rescue Me", "I Shot Andy Warhol", "Blood and Wine", "Space Truckers" weird sci-fi, "Blade" good role, "Cold Creek Manor", "Tennis, Anyone", "Shadowboxer", "World Trade Center", etc.

Is good friends of Pamela Anderson.

Lead/co-star Wil Wheaton is 34.

Former juvenile actor, came to light as Gordie in "Stand by Me". Also in "The Buddy System", "The Curse", "Toy Soldiers", "The Liar's Club", "Boys Night Out", "Flubber", "**** Hag", "The Good Things", etc.

Married since 1999 (2 children). Appeared on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" as Ensign Wesley Crusher. Wheaton left the Hollywood scene for 18 months to pursue personal video production, including trying to live as a hobo on the USA's railroads. He then returned to Los Angeles. Wrote several books.

Co-star/support Tony Sirico is 64.

Tough guy actor, familiar as Paulie Walnuts on HBOs "The Sopranos". Also in "Gangsters", "The Pick-Up Artist", "GoodFellas", "29th. Street", "Bullets Over Broadway", "Cop Land", "Mickey Blue Eyes", etc.

Has a daughter and son in their 30s. Has served time in prison. Brother is a priest. He still lives in Brooklyn.

Lead/co-star David Warner is 65.

Essential British actor, in "Tom Jones", "Morgan!", "The Fixer", "Straw Dogs" as a slow-witted villager, "The Omen", "Time After Time", "The French Lieutnant's Woman", "Titanic", "Ladies in Lavender", etc.

Married twice (1 daughter). Also a stage actor. Won an Emmy Award in a TV mini-series. Has vertigo.

Lead/so-star Robert Fuller is 73.

Reliable, virile actor, in "I Love Melvin" as a dancer, "Friendly Persuasion", "The Brain from Planet Arous", "Return of the Seven", "Whatever Happened to Aunt Alice?" w/Geraldine Page, "Mustang County", "Maverick", etc.

Married twice (3 children). On the TV series "Wagon Train", "Laramie", and "Emergency!". Last on the TV screen in 2001. Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Lead/co-star Robert Horton is 82.

Good-looking, appealing actor, in "The Tanks Are Coming", "Pony Soldier", "Bright Road", "Prisoner of War", "The Green Slime", etc.

Married 3 times including to actress Barbara Ruick. Played Flint on the hit TV series "Wagon Train". Attended nostalgia events and charged for his autographs. Is now retired.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Lloyd Bochner (81) 1924-2005.

Impressive Canadian actor, in "The Night Walker", "Harlow", "Point Blank", "Tony Rome", "The Detective", "The Dunwich Horror", "Ulzana's Raid", "The Hot Touch", "The Lonely Lady", "Millennium", etc.

Married with 3 children including actor Hart Bochner. Has numerous TV credits including soaps.

Lead/co-star Richard Egan (65) 1921-1987.

Beefy, handsome actor, in "The Damned Don't Cry", "Bright Victory", "Flame of Araby", "Split Second", "Wicked Woman" good 'camp' film, "Gog", "Demetrius and the Gladiators", "Underwater!" w/Jane Russell, "Love Me Tender" w/Elvis, "A Summer Place" as Sandra Dee's dad,

"Pollyanna", etc.

Married to Patricia Hardy (5 children). On the TV series "Empire" and the soap "Capitol". Dated Susan Hayward. He served in WWII.

Lead/co-star Clara Bow (60) 1905-1965.

Sassy, silent screen star, the one and only 'It Girl' from Brooklyn. In "Wings", "Hula", "Ladies of the Mob", "The Fleet's In", "The Wild Party", "True to the Navy", "Her Wedding Night", "Call Her Savage", "Hoop-La", etc.

Married to cowboy star Rex Bell (2 sons). Much has been written about her so called excapades. Once worked at a hot dog stand stand in Coney Island. Could it have been 'Nathans'?

Lead/co-star Thelma Todd (30) 1905-1935.

Beautiful blonde comedienne, in both silents and talkies from 1926. Very popular in comedy shorts with Zasu Pitts, Patsy Kelly and Laurel & Hardy. Also in feature length films.

Divorced at the time of her death. Her death was ruled a suicide due to carbon monoxide poisoning. She was only 30 years old. At the time, as today, many felt that her death was actually a murder connected to the goings-on at her club, a theory that was lent credence by the fact that no one who knew her had ever seen her depressed or morose enough to the point of being worried about her committing suicide. Another factor that aroused suspicion was that her death was given a cursory investigation by the,at the time, notoriously corrupt Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office and the case was quickly and unceremoniously closed. Her death has remained a controversial one even to this day.

Lead/co-star Theda Bara (69) 1885-1955.

The screen's first sex symbol, she appeared in films from 1914 thru 1926. She was one of the first stars to play Salome, Cleopatra, and Camille on the silent screen.

Was married to director Victor Brabin for 34 years. Also a stage actress.She was born Theodosia Goodman in Cincinatti, Ohio. She often played the role of a sexy, foul tempress whose beauty and dangerous allure led good-hearted men to their doom.

Potential starlet Elizabeth Short (22) 1924-1947.

Attractive dark-haired woman with a passion for movies.

After her father left the family, she eventually joined him in California. Hoping to get a chance in the movies, she ended up on the casting couch, sleeping with producers and directors, which sadly got her nowhere.

However she would gain notoriety in Tinseltown, when her body was discovered cut in half in a vacant lot.

She was tagged 'The Black Dahlia', and after all these years her homicide was never solved.

There is yet another movie coming out soon, regarding her unfortunate life.

In memory of those who died this day July 29th:

Impressive actor Henry Stephenson ('The Letter') in 1941 at age 52, rotund singer 'Mama' Cass Eliot in 1974 at age 32, suave actor David Niven in 1983 at age 73, essential actor Raymond Massey in 1983 at age 86, former child actor Philippe De Lacy in 1995 at age 78, familiar supporting actor O.Z. Whitehead in 1998 at age 87, dependable blond actor Alex Nicol in 2001 at age 85, and funnyman Pat McCormick in 2005 at age 78.

Also supreme artist Vincent van Gogh in 1890 at age 37, brilliantly portrayed by Kirk Douglas on screen.

Mongo

Hi Mongo,

I find it very amusing that two of the silent screen's sex symbols were born on the same day. Theda and Clara!

Theda bara was ironically one of the nicest and most charitable ladies on Earth. She was very instrumental in Cedar-Sinai Hospital charities.

Also, she looked like a proper upper class lady -- not all that koal makeup around her eyes and no spider-web dresses.

She was married for thirty or so years to director Charles Brabin, a very proper Englishman.

He died about a year after her......

Larry

Born this day July 30th:

Lead/co-star Hilary Swank is 32.

Exceptional, talened actress, won Oscars best actress for "Boys Don't Cry" and "Million Dollar Baby". Also in "The Next Karate Kid", "Heartwood", "The Audition", "The Gift", "The Affair of the Necklace", "Insomnia", "The Core", "Red Dust", etc.

Married to Chad Lowe since 1997, has filed for divorce. Has completed the movie "The Black Dahlia". Enjoys outdoor sports.

Lead/co-star Lisa Kudrow is 43.

Dependable blonde actress, remembered as the ditzy Phoebe on the TV series "Friends" she won Emmy award. In "In the Heat of Passion", "Mother", "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion", "Clockwatchers", "Hacks", "The Opposite of Sex", "Analyze This", "Wonderland", "All Over the Guy", etc.

Married since 1995 (1 son). Also on the TV series "Mad About You", and "The Comeback".

Lead/co-star Laurence Fishburne is 45.

Forceful, African-American actor, Oscar nominated best actor as Ike Turner in "What's Love Got to Do With It". In "Apocalypse Now", "Willie and Phil", "Rumble Fish", "The Cotton Club", "The Color Purple", "King of New York", "Boyz N the Hood", "Higher Learning", "Deep Cover", "Hoodlum", "The Matrix" and the sequels, "Mystic River", "Assault on Precinct 13", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Has appeared on the soap "One Life to Live". A stage actor, he won a Tony Award.

Lead/co-star Arnold Schwarzenegger is 59.

Once popular movie star, in "Stay Hungry", "Conan the Barbarian", "The Terminator" and sequels, "Predator", "Twins", "Total Recall", "Kindergarten Cop", "True Lies", "Junior" (Golden Globe nominee), "Batman and Robin", "End of Days", "Collateral Damage", etc.

Married to Maria Shriver (4 children). Former world bodybuilding champion, in the documentary "Pumping Iron". Is currently the Governor of California (only in America).

Lead/co-star William Atherton is 59.

Lean, reliable actor, in "Sugarland Express", "The Day of the Locust" good role, "Looking for Mr. Goodbar", "Oscar", "Ghost Busters", "Die Hard", "The Pelican Brief", "The Stranger", "The Last Samurai", "Into the Sun", etc.

Also on various TV shows.

Co-star/support Paul Anka is 65.

Capable Canadian actor, in "Girls Town", "Look in Any Window", "The Longest Day", "Captain Ron", "3000 Miles to Graceland", etc.

Divorced (5 daughters). Successful singer and composer, wrote "My Way" for Sinatra, and themes for "The Longest Day", and "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson, etc. His recordings are heard in numerous films.

Co-star/support Edd Byrnes is 73.

Former teen idol, played 'Kookie' on the TV series "77 Sunset Strip". In "Johnny Trouble" w/Ethel Barrymore, "Reform School Girls", "Darby's Rangers", "Marjorie Morningstar", "Up Periscope", "Yellowstone Kelly", "Stardust", "Grease", "Troop Beverly Hills", etc.

In 1971 his marriage to Asa Maynor fell apart due to his reliance on drugs and alcohol (1 son). Long clean and sober, he has yet to remarry.

His fan mail once reached an astonishing 15,000 letters a week and his single record with Connie Stevens, "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb", became a top-5 hit.

Co-star/support Richard Johnson is 79 today.

Dependable British actor, in "Never So Few", "The Haunting", "The Pumpkin Eater", "Khartoum", "Deadlier Than the Male", "Some Girls Do", "The Monster Club", "Lady Jane", "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider", "The Birthday", "Scoop", etc.

Married 3 times including to Kim Novak. Father of 3 children. He was considered for the role of James Bond in "Dr.No".

Posthumous

Co-star/support Joan Vohs (73) 1927-2001.

Pretty blonde actress, in "It's a Great Feeling", "Yes Sir That's My Baby", "Royal Wedding", "Fort Ti" in 3-D, "Vice Squard", "Sabrina", "Fort Yuma", "Lure of the Swamp", etc.

Married with 2 children. Became the youngest Rockette at the Radio City Music Hall at age 16. Tired of dumb blonde roles, she left the sceen in 1957.

In memory of those who died this day July 30th:

Director Alexander Hall ('Here Comes Mr. Jordan') in 1968 at age 74, dependable actor Charles McGraw in 1980 at age 66, best actress Oscar nominee Lynn Fontanne in 1983 at age 95, lovely actress Brenda Marshall in 1992 at age 76, brassy blonde actress Janis Carter in 1994 at age 80, supreme movie star Claudette Colbert in 1996 at age 92, reliable character actor Max Showalter in 2000 at age 83, and pretty starlet Nan Leslie in 2000 at age 74.

Mongo

Born this day July 31st:

Lead/co-star Wesley Snipes is 44.

Versatile, African-American actor, in "Major League", "New Jack City", "Jungle Fever", "The Waterdance", "White Men Can't Jump", "Demolition Man", "To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar", "U.S. Marshals", "One Night Stand", "Down in the Delta", "Blade", "Chaos", etc.

Married twice (3 children). He is a 5th Degree Black Belt.

Lead/co-star Michael Biehn is 50.

Reliable, intense actor, plays both heroes and villains. In "The Fan" stalking Lauren Bacall, "The Lords of Discipline", "The Terminator", "Aliens", "The Abyss", "Tombstone", "The Rock", "Clockstoppers", "Borderline", "Havoc", etc.

Married twice (4 children including twin boys). Name is pronounced 'Bean'.

Co-star/support Geraldine Chaplin is 62.

Attractive, delicate-featured actress, in "Limelight" with dad Charles Chaplin, "Doctor Zhivago", "A Countess from Hong Kong", "The Hawaiians", "The Three Musketeers", "Nashville", "Welcome to L.A.", "A Wedding", "Without Love", "The Bridge of San Luis Rey", etc.

Has had long time relationship with Spanish director Carlos Saura (2 children). She portrayed her own grandmother in the movie "Chaplin", based on her fathers life.

Co-star/support France Nuyen is 67.

Beautiful Asian actress, in "South Pacific", "In Love and War", "Satan Never Sleeps", "Diamond Head", "A Girl Named Tamiko", "The Joy Luck Club", "A Passion to Kill", "Angry Cafe", etc.

Married twice including to Robert Culp. Has 1 daughter. Had a brief affair with Marlon Brando. On Broadway in "The World of Suzie Wong". Is a psychological counselor, although still active in films.

Co-star/support Geoffrey Lewis is 71.

Essential character actor, in "The Culpepper Cattle Company", "Dillinger", "High Plains Drifter", "Macon County Line", "Smile", "Every Which Way But Loose", "Bronco Billy", "10 to Midnight", "The Comet", "Lust in the Dust", "Pink Cadillac", "Blueberry", "Down in the Valley", etc.

Married twice (10 children including actress Juliet Lewis). On the TV series "Flo" (a Golden Globe nominee).

Lead/co-star Don Murray is 77 today.

Talented, good-looking actor, Oscar nominated best support as the naive cowboy in "Bus Stop". Also in "A Hatful of Rain" good role as a drug addict, "From Hell to Texas", "Shake Hands with the Devil" w/Cagney, "Hoodlum Priest" good role, "Advise and Consent", "Baby the Rain Must Fall", "Deadly Hero", "Endless Love", "Peggy Sue Got Married", "Scorpion", "Made in Heaven", etc.

Married twice including to Hope Lange (2 children). He refused to serve in the Korean War. Last on screen in 2001.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Ted Cassidy (46) 1932-1979.

Reliable 6'9" character actor with a deep voice, remembered as Lurch the butler on TVs "The Addams Family". In "Makenna's Gold", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "The Limit", "The Harrad Experiment", "Harry and Walter Go to New York", "The Last Remake of Beau Geste", etc.

Father of 2 children. He died following surgery, and his girlfriend had his cremains buried in the backyard of their home.

Co-star/support Clarence Kolb (89) 1874-1964.

Blustery character actor, in "Fury", "Maid of Salem", "Merrily We Live", "Carefree", "His Girl Friday" as Fred the corrupt Mayor, "Blossoms in the Dust", "Lost Honeymoon", "Christmas Eve", "Impact", "Adam's Rib", etc.

Married twice. Was Mr. Honeywell on the TV series "My Little Margie" with Gale Storm. Also a vaudeville and stage actor.

In memory of those who died this day July 31st:

Rising star Robert Francis killed in plane crash in 1955 at age 25, Italian character actress Mimi Aguglia in 1970 at age 85, appealing actor/dancer Bobby Van in 1980 at age 51, promising starlet Jaclynne Greene in 1993 at age 71, dependable beauty Lenore Aubert in 1993 at age 75, and lovely supporting player Virginia Grey in 2004 at age 87.

Last but not least, belated birthday wishes to TCM board member TOOMANYNOTES.

Mongo

Mongo,

Thanks for posting birthday remembrances for TooManyNotes. That was so good of you - as always!!!

TMN -

Happy Belated Birthday. Hope you didn't make too much of a mess eating your birthday cake and trying to see how close you could get to emulating a one year old!!!

Larry

PS - Mongo, I went back and looked up TMN's post and his birthday was last Thursday, so that puts it on July 27th for future reference.

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Born this day August 1st:

Director Sam Mendes is 41.

British filmmaker, had an impressive debut with "American Beauty" winning the Oscar for best director (also a best picture Oscar). He also helmed "Road to Perdition" with Tom Hanks, and "Jarhead".

Nominated for a Tony Award for directing the revival of "Cabaret" on Broadway.

Married to actress Kate Winslet (1 son). Has dated many starlets when he was single.

Lead/co-star Giancarlo Giannini is 64.

Essential Italian actor (with the bedroom eyes), Oscar nominated best actor for "Seven Beauties". Also in "Celluloide", "Sweapt Away", "Escape", "American Dreamer", "Blood Red", "Anzio", "The Secret of Santa Vittoria" w/Magnani, "Hannibal", "Man on Fire", "The Shadow Dancer", etc.

Married since 1967 (2 sons). His son Adriano co-starred opposite Madonna in the dismal remake of "Sweapt Away".

Lead/co-star Dom DeLuise is 73.

Rotund comic actor from Brooklyn, in "The Twelve Chairs", "Blazing Saddles", "Silent Movie", "Sextette" w/Mae West, "The End", "The Cheap Detective", "Hot Stuff", "Fatso" good role directed by Anne Bancroft, "The Cannonball Run" w/pal Burt Reynolds, "Haunted Honeymoon", "Spaceballs", "The Godson", "Baby Geniuses", etc.

Married since 1965 (3 sons). On the TV series "Lotsa Luck" (Golden Globe nominee). Is highly regarded as a chef, and has written a few children's books. Recently took ill and past out in his home.

Co-star/support Geoffrey Holder is 76.

Impressive 6'6" Afican-American actor. In "Doctor Dolittle", "Krakatoa East of Java", "Live and Let Die", "Swashbuckler", "Annie" the musical, "Boomerang", "Goosed", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" as the narrator, etc.

Married since 1955 (1 child). Was the bald 'uncola man' with the deep voice in the 7Up commercials. He won 2 Tony Awards.

Co-star/support Meg Randall is 80.

Capable actress, in "Undercover Maisie", "Criss Cross", "Ma and Pa Kettle" and a few sequels as their older daughter, "Abandoned", "Without Warning", "Last of the Badmen", etc.

Last on screen in 1957.

Co-star/support Marcia Mae Jones is 82.

Former, talented child star, in "The Champ", "These Three" exceptional role as Rosalie, "The Life of Emile Zola", "Heidi", "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", "The Little Princess", "The Star", "The Way We Were", etc.

Divorcd twice (2 sons). The daughter of a persistent stage mother, she would eventually develop personal and emotional problems, which triggered a severe alcohol problem. Has appeared on TV. Last on screen in 1974.

Co-star/support Arthur Hill is 84 today.

Essential character actor from Canada, in "Deep Blue Sea", "The Young Doctors", "The Ugly American", "Moment to Moment" good drama, "Harper", "The Chairman", "The Andromeda Strain", "The Killer Elite", "Making Love", "Something Wicked This Way Comes", etc.

Married (2 children). On the TV series "Owen Marshall: Counselor at Law". Won a best actor Tony Award. He is now retired.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Henry Jones (86) 1912-1999.

Grand character actor, in "The Bad Seed" as Leroy the handyman, "The Girl Can't Help It", "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter", "3:10 to Yuma", "Vertigo" as the cruel coroner, "The Bramble Bush", "Angel Baby", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "Rabbit, Run", "Support Your Local Gunfighter", "Skin Game", "Deathtrap", "Nine to Five", "Dick Tracy", "The Grifters", etc.

Father of acting teacher Jocelyn Jones. A stage actor, he won a Tony Award. Also appeared on TV programs.

In memory of those who died this day August 1st:

Director of "Our Gang" shorts Gus Meins committed suicide in 1940 at age 47, reliable character actress Vivien Oakland in 1958 at age 63, essential character actor Strother Martin in 1980 at age 61, screenwriter Paddy Chayefsky in 1981 at age 58, lovely starlet Vicky Lane in 1983 at age 57, silent screen star Pola Negri in 1987 at age 92, Charlie Chan's #3 son Benson Fong in 1987 at age 70, dependable character actress Claire Du Brey in 1993 at age 100, and lovely actress Eva Bartok in 1998 at age 71.

Mongo

Born this day August 2nd:

Lead/co-star Edward Furlong is 29.

Former juvenile actor, in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day", "American Heart", "A Home of Our Own", "The Grass Harp", "****", "American History X", "Animal Factory", "Nice Eyes", "Cruel World", etc.

A bit quirky, yet very talented, he was quoted, "I've always liked women. But I dont want somebody who likes me because I'm famous. I like girls who are intelligent and who are kind of quiet like me."

Lead/co-star Mary Louise Parker is 42.

Exceptional actress, in "Longtime Companion", "Grand Canyon", "Fried Green Tomatoes" as Ruth, "The Client", "Bullets Over Broadway", "Boys on the Side", "The Portrait of a Lady", "Red Dragon", "Romance and Cigarettes", etc.

Split with actor Billy Crudup after 7 years, at which time she was 7 months pregnant. She had a boy. Won a Tony, Emmy, and Golden Globe Award. On the TV series "Weeds", and also "The West Wing".

Lead/co-star Peter O'Toole is 74.

Fine Irish actor, Oscar nominated best actor for "Lawrence of Arabia", "Becket", "The Lion in Winter", "Goodbye Mr. Chips", The Ruling Class", "The Stunt Man", and "My Favorite Year". In numerous other films.

Divorced after 20 years (2 children). Received an Honorary Oscar in 2003. Also won an Emmy Award.

Was quoted, "For me, life has either been a wake or a wedding", and "The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise."

Co-star/support Nehemiah Persoff is 87.

Exceptional character actor, usually a tough guy, in "The Harder They Fall", "On the Waterfront" as the cab driver, "The Wrong Man", "Green Mansions", "Al Capone", "Some Like It Hot", "The Big Show", "The Comancheros", "Panic in the City", "Voyage of the Damned", "Yentl", "St. Helens", etc.

Married with 4 children. Was on TVs "The Untouchables". Is into creating artwork. Last on screen in 1999.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Eizabeth Russell (85) 1916-2002.

Slender, dark beauty, in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith, "The Corpse Vanishes" w/Bela Lugosi, "Cat people", "Hitler's Madman", "The Seventh Victim", "A Scream in the Dark", "Weird Woman", "Curse of the Cat People", "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes", "The Uninvited", "Bedlam", "From the Terrace", etc.

Lead/co-star Carroll O'Connor (76) 1924-2001.

Essential actor, will always be remembered as the one and only Archie Bunker in the hit TV series "All in the Family" (he won 4 Emmy Awards). Has also appeared in numerous films.

Married 50 years. His only son, Hugh O'Connor, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, despondent over the disintegration of his life resulting from his long term drug addiction. He was speaking with his father on the phone at the time. O'Connor did a public service announcement shortly before his death about the perils of drug abuse. Also on the TV series "In the Heat of the Night" (he won Emmy Award).

Lead/co-star Gary Merrill (74) 1915-1990.

Dependable actor, in "Twelve O'Clock High", "Where the Sidewalk Ends", "All About Eve", "The Frogmen", "Decision Before Dawn" good role, "Another Man's Poison", "Phone Call from a Stranger", "Witness to Murder" w/Stanwyck, etc.

Married twice including to Bette Davis (2 adopted children). Had a fling with Rita Hayworth.

Co-star/support Beatrice Straight (86) 1914-2001.

Talented redhead, won Oscar best support for her 6 minute role in "Network". Also in "Phone Call from a Stranger", "The Nun's Story", "The Promise", "Bloodline", "The Formula", "Endless Love", "Poltergeist", "Deceived", etc.

Married twice (2 children). She preferred the stage to making films.

Lead/co-star Ann Dvorak (67) 1912-1979.

Attractive actress, with big brown eyes, in "Scarface" as Muni's sister, "The Strange Love of Molly Louvain", "Three on a Match", "G Men" w/Cagney, "Dr. Socrates", "She's No Lady", "Merrily We Live", "Flame of Barbary Coast", "Our Very Own" good role, "I Was an American Spy", "The Secret of Convict Lake", etc.

Married 3 times. Attempted to have her Warner Brothers contract terminated over financial issues, after finding out that she made the same money as the 5 year-old who played her son in "Three On a Match" (1932).

She left the screen in 1951 and eventually settled in Hawaii, where rumor had it that she fell on hard times. She died there.

Lead/co-star Myrna Loy (88) 1905-1993.

Grand, sriking movie star with a cute turned-up nose, began in silent films. In "Arrowsmith", "Emma", "Love Me Tonight", "When Ladies Meet", "Manhattan Melodrama", "The Thin Man" movie series, "Evelyn Prentice", "Test Pilot", "The Rains Came", "The Best Years of Our Lives" lovely performance, "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer", "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", "The Red Pony", "Cheaper by the Dozen", "Midnight Lace", etc.

Married 4 times. Although never nominated for an Academy Award, she received an honorary Oscar in 1991.

[On her work with William Powell] "I never enjoyed my work more than when I worked with William Powell. He was a brilliant actor, a delightful companion, a great friend and above all, a true gentleman."

Co-star/support Ruth Nelson (87) 1905-1992.

Reliable character actress, in "The North Star", "Wilson", "The Keys of the Kingdom", "A Tress Grows in Brooklyn" as the teacher who gives Francie the pie, "Sentimental Journey", "Till the End of Time", "Humoresque" as Garfield's mom, "Mother Wore Tights" w/Betty Grable, "Sea of Grass", "The Late Show", "Awakenings" as De Niro's selfish mother, etc.

Was married to director John Cromwell. Also a stage actress.

In memory of those who died this day August 2nd:

Endearing character actress Cathleen Nesbitt in 1982 at age 93, dependable character actress Lillian Bronson in 1995 at age 92, and delightful ventriloquist Shari Lewis in 1998 at age 65.

Birthday wishes to TCM board member Feaito today. Rumor has it that he is the same age as Jack Benny.

Mongo

HI Fernando,

A very Happy Birthday to you today. I wish you and all Chileans well and I am going now to buy a bottle of Chilean wine and drink a toast to your good health and also your family.

You have always been a barrel of information to us all here.

Love Ya!!

Larry

Thanks a million Mongo. You are ever so kind and thoughtful towards all of us. You are one of the fundamental members of these (still wonderful) Boards. I've always been so proud of sharing my birthday with that lovely, classy lady that was Myrna Loy. One of my beloved "immortals" of the 7th Art.

Thanks Mark and Larry. You are great guys and also very important members of this "TCM Fraternity".

BTW, I'm opening some bottles of Chilean Carm?nere tonight, when family and relatives come. So "A votre sant?", "Chin, Chin", "Naz Drovia", "Salud", "Cheers" et al!!

Oops.

Can't forget about little Eddie.

Former child actor Butch Patrick is 53 today. He is the one and only little werewolf Eddie Munster on the outrageous TV series "The Munsters".

Also appeared in a few films including "80 Steps to Jonah" and "Scary Movie". And on various TV shows.

He has a live-in girlfriend. When money ran short he began his own musical group 'Eddie and the Monsters', and also attends Nostalgia Conventions.

***************************************************************************************

Mongo

Born this day August 3rd:

Co-star/support John C. McGinley is 47.

Versatile actor, in "Platoon", "Wall Street", "Talk Radio", "Car 54, Where Are You?", "Se7en", "Nixon", "Johns", "The Rock", "The Jack Bull", "Any Given Sunday", "Sterling Harvard", "Identity", etc.

Divorced (1 son Max, has downs Syndrome). On the TV series "Scrubs", he is also a stage actor. Is a good friend of John Cusack.

Co-star/support Jay North is 55.

Former child actor remembered in the title role as TVs "Dennis the Menace". In "The Miracle of the Hill", "The Big Operator", "Pepe", "Maya", "The Teacher", etc.

Married 4 times. Son of singer/actor Hal Hopper. Was the voice of 'Bam-Bam on TVs "The Flintstones". Has worked as a prison guard in Florida. He attends Nostalgia Conventions.

Director John Landis is 56.

Ambitious filmmaker helmed the outrageous and popular "Animal House" ('food fight!'). Also "The Blues Brothers", "An American Werewolf in London" good stuff, "Trading Places", "Spies Like Us", "Coming to America", "Oscar", etc.

Married since 1980 (2 children). Directed the Michael Jackson "Thriller" video. Also helmed episodes of HBOs "Dream On" (won Emmy Award).

Sadly, while directing his segment of "Twilight Zone: The Movie" actor Vic Morrow was Killed, along with two child actors, when a helicopter crashed and landed on top of them. Ruled an accident, he was cleared of any charges.

Lead/co-star Martin Sheen is 66.

Essential actor, in "The Incident", "The Subject Was Roses" good role, "Catch-22", "Rage" good drama, "Badlands" strong drama, "Apocalypse Now" (he suffered a heart attack on the strenious shoot), "Gandhi", "That Championship Season", "The Believers" chilling stuff, "Wall Street', "Da", "Catch Me If You Can", etc.

Married since 1961 (4 children including Charlie Sheen and Emilio Esteves). On the TV series "The West Wing" (won Golden Globe Award). Also a stage actor.

Lead/co-star Gordon Scott is 79.

Muscular, good-looking actor, played Tarzan in 6 films from "Tarzan's Hidden Jungle" to "Tarzan the Magnificent". He became a sensation in Europe, in Italian strong-man spectaculars and spaghetti westerns.

Married 3 times including to Vera Miles (1 son). Last on screen in 1967.

Co-star/support Tony Bennett is 80 today.

Dynamic singer, appeared in a few films including "The Oscar" as Hymie Kelly, "The Scout", "Analyze This", "Bruce Almighty", etc.

Married and divorced twice (4 children). His songs are featured on various movie soundtracks. Has made numerous TV appearances throughout the years (won an Emmy Award). Has sold millions of records, and is an accomplished painter. Was a close friend of Frank Sinatra.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Jean Hagen (54) 1923-1977.

Attractive, talented actress, a sensation in her Oscar nominated supporting role as Lina Lamont in "Singin' in the Rain". Also in "Adam's Rib", "The Asphalt Jungle" good role, "A Life of Her Own", "Carbine Williams" w/James Stewart, "Latin Lovers", "The Big Knife", "Spring Reunion", "The Shaggy Dog", "Sunrise at Campobello", "Dead Ringer" w/twins Bette Davis, etc.

Divorced (2 children). On the TV series "Make Room for Daddy" as Danny Thomas' original wife (Emmy Award nominee). Sadly, she spent the last years of her life in a convalescent home. One of Hollywoods major injustices occured when she was denied the Oscar for "Singin' in the Rain".

Co-star/support Marilyn Maxwell (50) 1921-1972.

Curvaceous, platinum-blonde actress, in "Presenting Lily Mars", "Lost in a Harem" w/Abbott & Costello, "Summer Holiday", "Champion" good role, "Key to the City" w/Gable, "The Lemon Drop Kid" singing 'Silver Bells' with Bob Hope, "East of Sumatra", "New York Confidential", "Rock-a-Bye Baby" w/Jerry Lewis, "Critic's Choice", etc.

Married 3 times (her 15 year old son discovered her dead in the bathroom of their home, a victim of a heart attack). She joined Bob Hope in entertaining troops on USO tours. Popular in nightclubs, particulary New York's famed Latin Quarter.

Lead/co-star Dolores del Rio (77) 1905-1983.

Exotic looking Mexican beauty, in "What Price Glory", "Ramona", "The Bad One", "Bird of Paradise" w/Joel McCea, "Flying Down to Rio", "Wonder Bar", "The Devil's Playground", "Journey Into Fear", "The Fugitive" w/Henry Fonda, "Flaming Star" w/Elvis, etc.

Married 3 times including to director Cedric Gibbons. Also a stage actress. Nickname was Lolita.

In memory of those who died this day August 3rd:

Raunchy stand-up comic Lenny Bruce in 1966 at ge 40 (was portrayed by Dustin Hoffman), Oscar nominated actor Alfred Lunt in 1977 at ge 84, talented actress Carolyn Jones in 1983 at age 54, and essential movie star Ida Lupino in 1995 at age 77.

Mongo

"On the TV series "Make Room for Daddy" as Danny Thomas' original wife (Emmy Award nominee)."

This was a surprise to me, I had no idea Jean Hagan was on the show; I only saw Marjorie Lord as Danny Thomas' wife. Did I only see episodes from later in the series? Did her character die, and Ms. Lord came in as a second wife? Or were they playing the same character? I'm very curious. Thanks Mr. Mongo!

Jack, though nominated twice for Emmy awards as Danny Thomas' first TV wife on his popular comedy series "Make Room for Daddy" (1953), Jean became disenchanted with the rather colorless mom role and left the series after four seasons. She 'died' in the script, and eventually Marjorie Lord replaced her as Danny's perky second wife.

It surprises me that she left a hit TV series.

The episodes with Marjorie Lord are on DVD, and word is that the Jean Hagen eposides will also make it to DVD.

I'm stunned: four years! So Marjorie Lord's character is supposed to be the step-mother to the kids. Did the storyline deal with the death and mourning? I thought this was a light comedy! I believe I only saw this show in reruns, and I wonder if they just didn't rerun the Jean Hagan episodes.

Ya learn something new every day!