Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! II

1,027 posts in this topic

Born this day August 4th:

Lead/co-star Billy Bob Thornton is 51.

Talented actor/screenwriter, Oscar nominated best actor for "Sling Blade" (won for best screenplay), and for best support in "A Simple Plan". Also in "For the Boys", "Indecent Proposal", "Tombstone", "The Apostle", "Armageddon", "Pushing Tin", "The Man Who Wasn't There" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "Monster's Ball", "Love Actually", "The Alamo", "Bad Santa", "Friday Night Lights", etc.

Married 5 times including to Angelina Jolie. Father of 5 children. On his Academy Award nomination for Best Actor ("Sling Blade" (1996)): "Getting the nomination is 'like gravy.' Winning would be 'like whatever is better than gravy.'"

Co-star/support Kristoffer Tabori is 54.

Reliable actor, in "John and Mary", "Dirty Harry", "Girlfriends", "A Simple Twist of Fate", "Deep Down", "Last Summer in the Hamptons", etc.

Divorced from actress Judy Geeson. Son of director Don Siegel and Viveca Lindfors. A stage actor, he also starred in and directed TV series.

Lead/co-star Anita Page is 96 today.

Vivid, petite blonde star of films of the golden age. In 3 popular movies with Joan Crawford, "Our Dancing Daughters", "Our Modern Maidens", and "Our Blushing Brides". Also in "Broadway Melody of 1929", "Reducing", "Skyscraper Souls", "Prosperity", "Sidewalks of New York", "Under Eighteen", etc.

Was married 54 years. She received 10,000 fan letters a week, second only to Garbo. Last on screen in 2004 in "Bob's Night Out". Is reported to be living at the Motion Picture Country Home.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Patricia Dane (75) 1919-1995.

Pretty starlet in mostly MGM films, including "Ziegfeld Girl", "Johnny Eager", "Rio Rita", "Somewhere I'll Find You", "Northwest Rangers", "I Dood It" w/Red Skelton, "Road to Bali", etc.

Was married to bandleader Tommy Dorsey. She was admired by fellow actors after she stood up to an MGM studio executive, only to be demoted to minor roles and bit parts (probably forgot that the studio 'owned' her).

Co-star/support Helen Kane (63) 1903-1966.

She is the one and only flapper who sang the words Boop-oop-a-doop in her song "I Wanna Be Loved by You".

Appeared in a few films, and was the inspiration for cartoon character Betty Boop, for which she received no credit.

Married 3 times. She dubbed for Debbie Reynolds' singing in "Three Little Words".

Co-star/support Louis Armstrong (69) 1901-1971.

Jazz dynamo with gravelly voice, played a mean trumpet. In "Pennies from Heaven", "Cabin in the Sky", "Glory Alley", "The Glen Miller Story", "High Society", "Paris Blues", "Hello, Dolly!" (he also had a hit record), etc.

Married 4 times. His nicknames was Satchmo and 'Pops'. His songs are featured in numerous movie soundtracks. Guested on many TV musical events.

In memory of those who died this day August 4th:

Blonde (a wig) serial queen Pearl White in 1938 at age 49, rugged cowboy star Tom Keene in 1963 at age 66, producer (low budget films) Sam Katzman in 1973 at age 72, essential actor Melvyn Douglas in 1981 at age 80, silent screen star Mary Miles Minter (involved in the William Desmond Taylor crime) in 1984 at age 82, durable movie star Victor Mature in 1999 at age 86, and character actor Frank Maxwell in 2004 at age 87.

Mongo

Corection:

The correct spelling of the title of the movie which co-starred Louis Armstrong is "The Glenn Miller Story"

Oh Mongo, Mongo, Mongo --

We should spank your lost, little r's !!!!!!!!

Don't worry, it's Friday - go and lie down and you'll be alright tomorrow.

We all drop a few letters and get our p's and q's mixed up. Not to worry.......

Happy Birthday to Anita Page -- wow, 96!! That's amazing!!!!!

Larry

Mongo I don't know how you keep up all the birthdays but kudo's to you if I( have not told you that before ) ,anyway it is appreciated and since I am kind of new I just wanted to say that

Louis Armstrong is buried in Flushing Cemetery in New York and I visit his grave which has a horn affixed to the tombstone. It also has a bench directly in front of the grave where I sit and think about this talented man. He was always the neighborhood guy who always lived in Queens New York and in the summer when the ice cream truck came around he bought ice cream for every kid that approached him. It didn't matter what your color was he was just a fine and decent man and I know he's doing a gig with Gabriel now! God Bless Him!

Born this day August 5th:

Lead/co-star John Saxon is 71.

Former juvenile actor from Brooklyn (dark hair), in "Running Wild", "Rock Pretty Baby", "Summer Love", "This Happy Feeling", "War Hunt", "The Big Fisherman", "The Unforgiven", "Portrait in Black", "The Cardinal", "The Appaloosa" (Golden Globe nominee best support), "The Last Samurai", etc.

Father of a son Antonio. Has appeared on TVs "Dynasty". Is a black belt in karate.

Co-star/support Cammie King is 72.

Former child actress, whose claim to fame is playing Bonnie Blue Butler in "Gone With the Wind". Also the voice of young Feline the deer in Disney's "Bambi".

Mother of 2 children. She is a retired marketing coordinator.

On working with Clark Gable in "Gone With the Wind": "He was such a warm, friendly man. When he kissed me, his mustache tickled. I'd tell that to my mother's friends and they'd swoon."

Co-star/support Joan Weldon is 73 today.

Blue-eyed beauty, in "So This Is Love", "The Command", "Riding Shotgun", "Them!" about the giant ants, "Deep in My Heart", "Home Before Dark", etc.

Married in 1966 (1 child). She sang light opera on the musical stage.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Selma Diamond (64) 1920-1985.

Blonde nasal-voiced comic from Canada, in "My Favorite Year", "Magic Carpet", "Bang the Drum Slowly", "Twilight Zone: The Movie", "All of Me" w/Steve Martin, etc.

A bachelor girl, she wrote comedy for Sid Caesar.

Selma had a deadpan demeanor and distinctively nasal crackle in her voice that was made for comedy. She was just becoming a household name thanks to her role as the impassive, chain-smoking bailiff on the sitcom "Night Court" (1984) when she died of lung cancer after only one season. She was nominated for an Emmy Award, best support.

Co-star/support Mickey Shaughnessy (64) 1920-1985.

Stocky, robust Irish comedy actor, in "The Marrying Kind", "Designing Woman", "Jailhouse Rock", "Don't Go Near the Water", "Don't Give Up the Ship", "North to Alaska", "Pocketful of Miracles", "How the West Was Won", etc.

He had a popular nightclub act.

Co-star/support Tom Drake (64) 1918-1982.

Gentlemanly actor from Brooklyn, was Judy Garland's boy-next-door in "Meet Me in St. Louis". Also in "Two Girls and a Sailor", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "Mrs. Parkington", "The Green Years" good role, "Courage of Lassie", "The Beginning or the End", "Cass Timberlane", "Words and Music", "Raintree County", etc.

Was married and divorced within a year. On numerous TV programs. AKA Richard Alden.

Co-star/support David Brian (78) 1914-1993.

Rugged, blond-haired actor, in "Flamingo Road", "Beyond the Forest", "Intruder in the Dust" (Golden Globe nominee best support), "The Damned Don't Cry", "Breakthrough", "This Woman Is Dangerous", "Million Dollar Mermaid", "The High and the Mighty", etc.

Married twice including to actress Adrian Booth aka Lorna Gray.

Lead/co-star Robert Taylor (57) 1911-1969.

Handsome movie star (my mom's favorite), in "Magnificent Obsession", "The Gorgeous Hussy", "Camille", "Three Comrades", "Waterloo Bridge", "Escape" w/Shearer, "Billy the Kid", "Johnny Eager", "Undercurrent", "The Bribe", "Westward the Women", "Quo Vadis", "Ivanhoe", "The Law and Jake Wade", etc.

Was married to Barbara Stanwyck (he was the love of her life). He left Stanwyck to marry actress Ursula Thiess, who he met while making "Quo Vadis" (2 children). On the TV series "The Detectives".

Director/actor John Huston (81) 1906-1987.

supreme moviemaker, won Oscar best director for "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". Oscar nominated best director for "The Asphalt Jungle", "The African Queen", "Moulin Rough", and "Prizzi's Honor" (won Golden Globe Award). Also helmed, "The Maltese Falcon", "In This Our Life", "Key Largo", "Moby Dick", "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison", "The Misfits", "Fat City" good movie, "The Man Who Would Be King" rousing adventure, etc.

He acted in "The Cardinal" (Oscar nominee best support), "Myra Breckinridge" w/Mae West, "Chinatown", etc.

Married 5 times including to Evelyn Keyes. Father of Anjelica Huston, and son of Walter Huston. He was a man of many interests.

Co-star/support Reginald Owen (85) 1887-1972.

Dandy character actor, began in silent films. In "The Letter" (1929), "Platinum Blonde", "Of Human Bondage", "Queen Christina", "Madame DuBarry", "The Good Fairy", "Call of the Wild" w/Gable, "A Tale of Two Cities", "A Christmas Carol" as Scrooge, "A Woman's Face", "Mrs. Miniver", "White Cargo", "Random Harvest", "The Valley of Decision", "The Secret Garden", "The Thrill of It All", "Mary Poppins", etc.

Married 3 times (2 children). Also on Broadway.

In memory of those who died this day August 5th:

'The Lady in the Tutti-Frutti Hat' Carmen Miranda in 1955 at age 46, lovely starlet Suzan Ball in 1955 at age 21, gorgeous movie star Marilyn Monroe in 1962 at age 36, character actress Queenie Smith in 1978 at age 79, hayseed comic Judy Canova in 1983 at age 69, exceptional actor Richard Burton in 1984 at age 58, and dependable actor Ralph Meeker in 1988 at age 67.

Mongo

Always liked John Saxon, Happy Birthday! And, I was a big fan of Tom Drake! I enjoyed him in anything he did, Happy Heavenly Birthday!

Here is a special Happy Heavenly Birthday to Reginald Owen. He was the ubiquitous supporting man, and even occasionally carried a picture all by himself! Now he was one of the all time favorite greats, and I am still enjoying his performances today!

Re: Reginald Owen. They don't make character actors like that anymore!! Just one of the reasons that today's film don't measure up!!

Born this day August 6th:

Diector/producer M. Night Shyamalan is 36.

Promising filmmaker/screenwriter from India, Oscar nominated best director for the hit film "The Sixth Sense". Also helmed "Wide Awake", "Unbreakable", "Signs", "The Village", and "Lady in the Water".

Married since 1993 (2 children). He was raised in Philadelphia and also lives there. The 'M' in his name is Manoj. Makes cameo appearances in his films, ala Hitchcock. His favorite movie is "The Godfather" which will air on TCM tonight.

Co-star/support Pamela Blake is 88 today.

Reliable actress, in "Stage Door", "Sorority House", "Too Many Girls", "No Greater Sin", "This Gun for Hire" w/Ladd, "Captain Tugboat Annie", "Stage Struck", "Highway 13", "Danger Zone", "Waco", etc.

Married and divorced twice. AKA Adele Pearce, her real name.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Barbara Bates (43) 1926-1969.

Lovely, demure actress, remembered as Phoebe in the final scene of "All About Eve", posing in front of a three-way mirror. Also in "Lady on a Train", "Johnny Belinda", "June Bride", "The House Across the Street", "Quicksand", "Cheaper by the Dozen", "I'd Climb the Higest Mountain", "The Caddy", etc.

Married twice. Committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning, in her mothers garage. was quoted: "I have no illusions about being a star. Every time I did something really important, they ended up cutting it."

Lead/co-star Ella Raines (67) 1920-1988.

Green-eyed beauty, in "Corvette K-255" was the sole female in the movie, "Cry Havoc", "Phantom Lady" good noir, "Hail the Conquering Hero", "Tall in the Saddle", "The Suspect", "The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry", "The Web", "Brute Force", "Impact", "The Second Face", etc.

Married twice (2 children). She had a brief recording career in the 1950s, and also her own TV show.

Lead/co-star Robert Mitchum (79) 1917-1997.

Tall, tallented, underrated movie star, Oscar nominated best support for "The Story of G.I. Joe". Also in "Cry Havoc", "The Human Comedy", "Crossfire", "Out of the Past", "The Red Pony", "His Kind of Woman", "The Racket", "The Lusty Men", "River of No Return", "The Night of the Hunter" exceptional role, "Not as a Stranger", "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison", "The Enemy Below", "Home from the Hill", "The Sundowners" good role, "Cape Fear" w/Peck, "Ryan's Daughter", "Farewell, My Lovely", etc.

Married 57 years (3 children). Had an affair with Shirley MacLaine, among numerous others.

His arrest for marijuana possession in the late 40s was one of the first times a major actor had been jailed for this crime. Was quoted: "The only difference between me and my fellow actors is that I've spent more time in jail." And "I gave up being serious about making pictures around the time I made a film with Greer Garson and she took a hundred and twenty-five takes to say no." John Huston said of him, "He is a rarity among actors". Indeed he was.

Lead/co-star Lucille Ball (77) 1911-1989.

Talented, attractive, zany redhead, became the first lady of television after a so-so movie career. In "Roberta", "Top Hat", "Stage Door", "Room Service" w/The Marx Bros., "Five Came Back", "Too Many Girls", "The Big Street" good role (her favorite), "Du Barry Was a Lady", "Fancy Pants", "The Fuller Brush Girl" hilarious, "The Long, Long Trailer", "The Facts of Life" (Golden Globe nominee best actress), "Yours, Mine and Ours" (Golden Globe nominee best actress), "Mame" a role that Angela Lansbury should have played, etc.

She hit the jackpot as star of TVs "I Love Lucy" with husband Desi Arnaz (parents of Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz Jr.). Also on "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" (she won 4 Emmy Awards).

Also married 27 years to producer Gary Morton, up until her death. During a Barbara Walter's interview, Jane Fonda claims that her father, Henry Fonda, was deeply in love with Lucille Ball and that the two were "very close" during the filming of "Yours, Mine and Ours" (1968).She remained lifelong friends with actress Barbara Pepper.

Co-star/support Leo Carillo (80) 1881-1961.

Dependable Latino character actor, best remembered as Pancho in the "Cisco Kid" series of films, and also on the TV series with Duncan Renaldo. In "Viva Villa!", "Manhattan Melodrama", "History is Made at Night", "Too Hot Too Handle", "Lillian Russell" w/Alice Faye, "Phantom of the Opera" w/Claude Rains, "Gypsy Wildcats" w/Maria Montez, "The Fugitive" w/Henry Fonda, etc.

A widower with 1 daughter. Also performed on Broadway.

In memory of those who died this day August 6th:

Popular 'Charlie Chan' actor Warner Oland in 1938 at age 58, prominent director Preston Sturges in 1959 at age 60, grand character actor Cedric Hardwicke in 1964 at age 71, superior character actor Everett Sloane committed suicide in 1965 at age 55, and silent screen beauty Nancy Carroll in 1965 at age 61.

Mongo

Oops:

I was reminded by a fan that I neglected to post the birthday of Abbey Lincoln today.

Co-star/support Abbey Lincoln is 76 today.

Talented African-American actress/vocalist received a Golden Globe nomination best support for her role in "For Love of Ivy".

Miss Lincoln is one of America's most prolific and spellbinding vocalists and composers. Her commitment to full freedom of expression and the power of authenticity, her emotive conviction, is central to her impressive body of work. An acclaimed film star and an accomplished painter, as well as jazz singer, composer and poet of the highest caliber.

Born this day August 7th:

Lead/co-star Charlize Theron is 31.

Talented blonde actress, won Oscar best actress for her outstanding performance as serial killer Aileen Wuornos in "Monster". Oscar nominated best actress for "North Country". In "That Thing You Do!", "Mighty Joe Young", "The Cider House Rules", "The Yards", "The Legend of Bagger Vance", "Sweet November", "The Italian Job", etc.

Dating Irish actor Suart Townsend since 2001. [On marriage]: "I'm happy for people who want to get married but it's not my thing. I'm extremely happy in my relationship and I would love to have kids."

She grew up on a farm in South Africa. Appeared on the TV series "Arrested Development".

Lead/co-star David Duchovny is 46.

Appealing actor, with a deadpan humor, hit it big as Agent Fox Mulder on TVs hit sci-fi series "The X-Files" (also starred in the movie). In "Julia Has Two Lovers", "Ruby", "Chaplin", "Kalifornia", "Return to Me", "Zoolander", "Full Frontal", "Connie and Carla", "The Secret", etc.

Married to Tea Leoni (2 children). For "The X-Files" he won a Golden Globe Award and was nominated for an Emmy Award. Also on the cable series "Red Shoe Diaries" as Jake.

Co-star/support John Glover is 62.

Dependable actor, good at playing despicable characters, in "Annie Hall", "Julia" as Streep's brother, "The Mountain Men", "White Nights", "52 Pick-Up", "Love! Valor! Compassion!" as twins, "Ed and His Dead Mother" outrageous movie, "Batman and Robin", "Payback", "Tricks", etc.

Also a stage and TV actor, he won a Tony Award and was nominated for 5 Emmy Awards. Since the mid-1990s, his romantic partner has been the sculptor Adam Kurtzman.

Co-star/support June Travis is 92 today.

Fetching Warner Bros. starlet of the 1930s. In "Stranded" w/Kay Francis, "Dr. Socrates" w/Muni, "Ceiling Zero" w/Cagney, "Earthworm Tractors" w/Joe E. Brown, "Love Is on the Air" w/Ronald Reagan, "The Night Hawk", "The Star" w/Bette Davis, etc.

Married in 1940, at which time she left the screen. Also a stage actress.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Carl 'Alfalfa' Switzer (31) 1927-1959.

Popular, former child star with a cowlick and off-key singing voice, appeared in 61 "Our Gang" comedy shorts as Alfalfa. Also in "It's a Wonderful Life", "Pat and Mike", "The High and the Mighty", "Track of the Cat", "The Defiant Ones", etc.

Married and divorced in less than a year (1 child). He was a problem child on the set of "Our Gang". His best pal was Tommy Bond who played tough guy Butch in the series. He also guested on TVs "The Roy Rogers Show".

Mr. Switzer was a highly regarded hunting guide and professional dog breeder. Sadly, he died by gunshot wound by an acquaintance in an argument over $50 which Switzer felt the acquaintance owed him.

Director Nicholas Ray (67) 1911-1979.

Essential filmmaker, gave us "Knock on Any Door" w/Bogart, "They Live by Night" good noir, "In a Lonely Place", "Born to Be Bad", "The Lusty Men", "Johnny Guitar" w/Crawford, "Run for Cover" w/Cagney, "Rebel Without a Cause", "Bigger Than Life", "Party Girl", "The Savage Innocents" good movie w/Anthony Quinn as an Eskimo, "King of Kings" (1961), etc.

Married 5 times including to Gloria Grahame (after their divorce she married his son from a former marriage). Father of 4 children. Also acted in films.

Lead/co-star Ann Harding (80) 1901-1981.

Dignified blonde actress, Oscar nominated best actress for "Holiday". In "Condemned", "East Lynne", "Westward Passage", "The Animal Kingdom", "The Life of Vergie Winters", "When Ladies Meet", "Gallant Lady", "Love from a Stranger", "Mission to Moscow", "The North Star", "Janie", "Christmas Eve", "The Magnificent Yankee", etc.

Married twice (1 daughter Jane). Also appeared on TV.

Co-star/support Renie Riano (71) 1899-1971.

With her indomitable rubbery, sharp-faced features, she was perfect as comic strip character Maggie in the "Bringing Up Father" movie series with Joe Yule Sr. as Jiggs. Also had small parts in numerous films including the "Nancy Drew" movie series as the housekeeper Effie.

On the stage, TV and in vaudeville.

Co-star/support Billie Burke (84) 1885-1970.

Wonderful character actress, delightful as Glinda the good witch in "The Wizard of Oz". Oscar nominated best support in "Merrily We Live". Also in "Christopher Strong", "A Bill of Divorcement", "Dinner at Eight", "Becky Sharp", "Craig's Wife", "Topper", "The Bride Wore Red", "The Young in Heart", "Topper Returns", "The Man Who Came to Dinner", "In This Our Life", "The Barkley's of Broadway", "Father of the Bride", "Small Town Girl", etc.

Was the wife of showman Florenz Ziegfeld (1 daughter). Also a Broadway star.

In memory of those who died this day August 7th:

Rotund comedy star Oliver Hardy in 1957 at age 65, tough guy actor Tom Neal in 1972 at age 58, lovely blonde starlet Joi Lansing in 1972 at age 43, and dependable co-star Robert Hutton in 1994 at age 74.

Mongo

Born this day August 8th:

Lead/co-star Keith Carradine is 57.

Slim and lanky talented actor, in "McCabe and Mrs. Miller", "A Gunfight", "Emperor of the North", Thieves Like Us", "Nashville" (he won Oscar for best song "I'm Easy"), "Pretty Baby", "Choose Me", "Wild Bill", "A Thousand Acres", "Our Very Own", "Deadwood", "The Californians", etc.

Divorced (2 children). Also a daughter, actress Martha Plimpton, from a relationship. Son of Keith Carradine, brother of David and Robert Carradine. A Tony Award nominee for "The Will Rogers Follies" and Emmy Award nominee for the TV mini-series "Chiefs".

Lead/co-star Connie Stevens is 68.

Atractive, bubbly blonde actress from Brooklyn, in "Rock-a-Bye Baby" w/Jerry Lewis, "The Party Crashers" w/Bobby Driscoll, "Parrish" w/Troy Donahue, "Susan Slade", "Palm Springs Weekend", "Grease 2", "Back to the Beach", "Love Is All There Is", etc.

Divorced from actor James Stacy and crooner Eddie Fisher (2 children). On the TV series "Hawaiian Eye". A singer, she had a hit record with "Sixteen Reasons".

Lead/co-star Dusin Hoffman is 69.

Exceptional movie actor, won Oscar best actor for "Kramer vs. Kramer" and for "Rain Man". Oscar nominated for "The Graduate", "Midnight Cowboy", "Lenny", "Tootsie" (won Golden Globe Award), and "Wag the Dog". Also in "Little Big Man", "Straw Dogs", "Papillon", "Marathon Man", "Straight Time", "Billy Bathgate", "Hook", "Hero", "Sleepers", "Finding Neverland", "Meet the Fockers", etc.

Married twice (6 children). He was named Dustin after silent screen star Dustin Farnum. Also won an Emmy Award.

Co-star/support Nita Talbot is 76.

Brassy blonde actress, in "Bright Leaf", "Bundle of Joy", "This Could Be the Night", "Girl Happy", "That Funny Feeling", "The Day of the Locust", "Night Shift", "Movers and Shakers", etc.

Made numerous TV appearances. Emmy nominee best support for an episode of "Hogan's Heroes".

Lead/co-star Esther Williams is 84 today.

All American mermaid starred in MGMs musical water spectaculars, including "Bathing Beauty", "Easy to Wed", "On an Island with You", "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", "Neptune's Daughter", "Pagan Love Song", "Million Dollar Mermaid" (her favorite), "Dangerous When Wet", "Jupiter's Darling", "The Ungarded Moment" (dramatic role), "The Big Show", etc.

Married 3 times including to Fernando Lamas. Mother of 3 children. Fanny Brice once said, "Wet she's a star, dry she ain't".

Excerpts from her 1999 autobiography in major American magazines revealed that her one-time lover, actor Jeff Chandler, was obsessed about dressing in women's clothing. Williams' revelations about Chandler angered many readers. For an in-depth look at Miss Williams go to her official website (with great pictures), www.esther-williams.com

Posthumous

Lead/co-star Rory Calhoun (76) 1922-1999.

Reliable, good-looking actor, in "Nob Hill", "The Red House", "That Hagan Girl", "With a Song in My Heart", "I'd Climb the Higest Mountain", "How to Marry a Millionaire", "River of No Return", "The Looters", "The Spoilers", "Marco Polo", "Motel Hell" (another actor who took the horror route), etc.

Married twice including to Lita Baron. Father of 4 daughters. On the western TV series "The Texan", and also the soap "Capitol". Has 2 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Has served time in jail, and also boasted about the many women he bedded.

Lead/co-star Sylvia Sidney (88) 1910-1999.

Attractive, emotional actress, Oscar nominated best support for "Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams" as Joanne Woodward's mother. In "City Streets", "An American Tragedy", "Street Scene", "Ladies of the Big House", "Merrily We Go to Hell" (love that title), "Madame Butterfly", "Fury" w/Spencer Tracy, "Sabotage", "Dead End", "The Wagons Roll at Night", "Blood on the Sun" w/Cagney, "Mr. Ace" w/Raft, "Love from a Stranger", "Beetle Juice" a riot, "Used People", etc.

Married 3 times including to Luther Adler. Mother of 2 children of which a son died in 1987. She won an Emmy Award.

Was quoted, "What did Hitchcock teach me? To be a puppet and not try to be creative."

In memory of those who died this day August 8th:

Beautiful silent screen star Louise Brooks ("Pandora's Box" as Lulu) in 1985 at age 78, prominent character actor Alan Napier in 1988 at age 85, dependable character actor Harry Bellaver in 1993 at age 88, lovely supporting actress Carol Hughes in 1995 at age 85, beautiful screamer Fay Wray in 2004 at age 96, and talented blonde actress Barbara Bel Geddes in 2005 at age 82.

Mongo

Born this day August 9th:

Lead/co-star Gillian Anderson is 38.

Appealing redhead, remembered as Agent Scully on TVs sci-fi hit "The X-Files" for which she won both the Emmy and Golden Globe Awards (also in the movie version). In "A Matter of Choice", "Chicago Cab", The Mighty", "Playing by Heart", "The House of Mirth", "The Mighty Celt", etc.

Married twice (1 daughter Piper). Expecting second child this winter, with her boyfriend. On the TV series "Bleak House".

Lead/co-star Melanie Griffith is 49.

Blonde, bubbly actress, Oscar nominated best actress as Tess in "Working Girl" (she won Golden Globe Award). In "The Drowning Pool", "Smile", "Body Double" good movie, "Something Wild", "Cherry 2000", "Pacific Heights", "A Stranger Among Us", "Milk Money", "Nobody's Fool", "Mulholland Drive", "Lolita" remake, "Crazy in Alabama", "Cecil B. DeMented", "Heartless", etc.

Married to Don Johnson (twice), Steven Bauer, and currently to Antonio Banderas ( has a child with each husband). Daughter of Tippi Hedren. She also performed on Broadway.

Lead/co-star Sam Elliott is 62 today.

Tall, rugged, macho actor, in "Frogs", "Lifeguard", "Legacy", "Mask", "Fatal Beauty", "Road House", "Gettysburg", "Tombstone", "The Big Lebowski", "The Hi-Lo Country", "The Contender", "Hulk", "We Were Soldiers", "The Alibi", etc.

Married to Katharine Ross since 1984 (1 daughter Cleo). Appeared on the TV series "The Yellow Rose".

Posthumous

Co-star/support Allen 'Farina' Hoskins (59) 1920-1980.

Former child actor and one of the original members of the "Our Gang" comedy shorts. From 1922 thru 1933 he delighted us as Farina in over 100 shorts. Also in a few feature films.

He earned $350.00 a week under his contract with Hal Roach, making more money that any other 'rascal', at the time.

Lead/co-star Dorothy Jordan (82) 1906-1988.

Charming dark-haired actress, in "In Gay Madrid" w/Ramon Navarro, "Call of the Flesh", "Min and Bill" good role as the waif cared for by Marie Dressler, "Ship Mates", "Hell Diver", "Down to Earth", "The Cabin in the Cotton", "Bondage", "The Searchers", "The Wings of Eagles", etc.

Married to producer Merian C. Cooper ('King Kong'), parents of 3 children. Was supposed to be cast in "Flying Down to Rio" (1933) as Honey Hale, but backed out of the role to go on her honeymoon, so Ginger Rogers got the role. It was her first role with Fred Astaire, and the rest is history.

Co-star/support Leo Genn (72) 1905-1978.

Urbane, silky-voiced British actor, Oscar nominated best support for "Quo Vadis". In "Pygmalion", "Caesar and Cleopatra", "Mourning Becomes Electra", "The Velvet Touch", "The Snake Pit", "Plymouth Adventure", "Moby Dick", "The Longest Day", "55 Days at Peking", etc.

Also a stage actor, he was a real-life barrister.

Lead/co-star Tom Tyler (50) 1903-1954.

Rugged western star on screen from 1924, in "Ben-Hur" (silent), "Stagecoach", "Drums Along the Mohawk", "Gone With the Wind", "The Grapes of Wrath", "The Westerner", "The Mummy's Hand" title role, "The Best of the Badmen", "What Price Glory", "The Lion and the Horse", etc.

Married and divorced in 1937. Also starred in the serials "Captain Marvel", and "The Phantom".

Crippled with rheumatoid arthritis and down on his luck, he spent the last year of his life living with his sister.

Lead/co-star Charles Farrell (88) 1901-1990.

Handsome, dapper leading man, in silents and talkies. In "The Ten Commandments", "The Golden Bed", "The Freshman", "Seventh Heaven" (in 12 films with Janet Gaynor), "Street Angel", "Body and Soul", "Heartbreak", "Delicious", "The Spare Room", "Wild Girl", "Forbidden Heaven", "Just Around the Corner" w/Shirley Temple, etc.

Married on Valentine's Day 1931. Played Gale Storm's dad on the TV series "My Little Margie".

Lead/co-star Paul Kelly (57) 1899-1956.

Lean, tough-guy actor, on screen since 1911, in "Parole Racket", "Navy Blue and Gold", "The Roaring Twenties", "Queen of the Mob", "Ziegfeld Girl", "Tough As They Come", "China's Little Devils" good movie, "Flying Tigers", "Crossfire", "Side Street", "Split Second", "The High and the Mighty", etc.

He served time in prison for beating a man to death, and later married the victim's former wife. A stage actor, he won a Tony Award.

Co-star/support Nat Pendleton (72) 1895-1967.

Good natured character actor, usually the dumb guy, in over 100 films. In "Taxi", "Horse Feathers", "Flesh", "Baby Face" w/Stanwyck, "Lady for a Day", "I'm No Angel", "The Thin Man", "Reckless", "The Shopworn Angel", "On Borrowed Time" touching film, "At the Circus", "Northwest Passage", "Buck Privates", etc.

He was Joe the ambulance driver in the Dr. Kildare and Dr. Gillespie movie series. Won a silver medal at the 1920 Olympics for wrestling. He spoke 5 languages.

Co-star/support Kathleen Lockhart (83) 1894-1978.

Endearing character actress, in "Career Woman", "Blondie", "A Christmas Carol" with husband Gene Lockhart and daughter June Lockhart, "Sweethearts", "Love Crazy", "Lost Angel", "Roughly Speaking", "Lady in the Lake", "Gentleman's Agreement", "Plymouth Adventure", "The Glenn Miller Story", etc.

In memory of those who died this day August 9th:

Wonderful, prolific character actor Harry Davenport (Bette Davis adored him) in 1949 at age 83, tough-guy supporting actor Richard Cramer (gave Laurel & Hardy a hard time) in 1960 at age 71, and lovely supporting actress Doris Bowdon in 2005 at age 90.

Mongo

I've always been SO grateful to Dorothy Jordan for marrying Merian Cooper and bowing out of Flying Down to Rio!

Say, have you seen the Carioca?

It's not a foxtrot or a polka

It has a little bit of new rhythm

A blue rhythm that sighs

It has a meter that is tricky

A bit of wicked wacky-wicky

But when you dance it with a new love

There's a true love in her eye...

You dream of a new Carioca

Its theme is a kiss and a sigh

You dream of a new Carioca

When music and lights are gone

And we're saying goodbye

Two heads together

They say are better than one

Two heads together

That's how the dance is begun...

Nice touch, Ayres. It's nice to know the words to that diddy.

I'm also grateful to Dorothy Jordan, although she also came out smelling like a rose with a happy marriage and content with family life.

Born this day August 10th:

Lead/co-star Antonio Banderas is 46.

Handsome Latino actor, in "Matador", "The Mambo Kings", "Philadelphia" as Tom Hanks' lover, "Interview with the Vampire", "Desperado", "Evita" (Golden Globe nominee best actor), "The Mask of Zorro", "Spy Kids", "Frida", etc.

Married twice, including to Melanie Griffith since 1996 (1 daughter). A Tony Award and Emmy Award nominee.

Lead/co-star Rosanna Arquette is 47.

Talented blonde actress, in "S.O.B.", "Baby It's You", "Desperately Seeking Susan" (Golden Globe nominee best actress), "Silverado", "After Hours", "8 Million Ways to Die", "Nobody's Fool", "Pulp Fiction", "Big Bad Love", etc.

Married 4 times (1 child). Granddaughter of Cliff Arquette aka the hiarious Charlie Weaver. On the TV series "What About Brian"

Lead/co-star Tom Laughlin is 75.

Reliable, macho actor, produced, directed and starred in "Billy Jack", for $800,000 and grossed over $65 million. Also in "Tea and Sympathy", "South Pacific", "Gidget", "Tall Story", "The Young Sinner", "Born Losers", "Voyage of the Damned", "Billy Jack Goes to Washington", etc.

Married since 1956 (1 daughter).

Co-star/support Eddie Fisher is 78.

Once popular crooner, appeared in a few films including "Bundle of Joy", and "BUtterfield 8".

Married 5 times including to Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor, and Connie Stevens. Father of 4 children including Carrie Fisher, and Joely Fisher. Was a top recording artist and TV star (Emmy Award nominee).

Was quoted, "Debbie Reynolds was indeed the girl next door. But only if you lived next door to a self-centered, totally driven, insecure, untruthful phony." (look who's talking).

Co-star/support Martha Hyer is 82.

Cool blonde beauty, Oscar nominated best support for "Some Came Running" as Sinatra's crush. Also in "The Velvet Touch", "Abbott & Costello Go to Mars", "Sabrina", "Battle Hymn", "Houseboat", "The Best of Everything", "Ice Palace", "Wives and Lovers", "The Carpetbaggers", "The Sons of Katie Elder", etc.

Married twice including to producer Hal B. Wallis (his widow). Mother of 1 son. Also co-starred in many 'B' westerns. Last on screen in 1973.

Lead/co-star Rhonda Fleming is 83 today.

Ravishing redhead, in "Spellbound", "The Spiral Staircase", "Out of the Past", "The Great Lover" w/Bob Hope, "Tropic Zone" w/Ronald Reagan, "Inferno", "Jivaro", "While the City Sleeps", "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral", "Home Before Dark", "The Big Circus", "The Crowded Sky", etc.

Married 6 times thus far (1 son). Involved in charity events. Last on screen in 1990.

Posthumous

Co-star/support Jeff Corey (88) 1914-2002.

Essential character actor from Brooklyn, in "The Devil and Daniel Webster", "Roxie Hart", "The Killers", "Brute Force", "Homecoming", "City Across the River" about the Amboy Dukes, "Home of the Brave", "Bright Leaf", "The Next Voice You Hear", "Rawhide", "Lady in a Cage", "In Cold Blood", "The Boston Strangler", "True Grit", etc.

Married over 60 years (3 daughters). Served in the US Navy during WWII. Was blacklisted in the 1950s.

Co-star/support Noah Beery Jr. (81) 1913-1994.

Dependable actor in over 100 films, including "Call Her Savage" w/Clara Bow, "The Road Back", "Only Angels Have Wings", "Of Mice and Men", "Sergeant York", "Red River" his favorite, "Jubal", "Inherit the Wind", "Walking Tall", etc.

Married twice (2 children). Son of Noah Beery and nephew of Wallace Beery. On the TV series "Circus Boy" and "The Rockford Files".

Lead/co-star Norma Shearer (80) 1902-1983.

Stylish, sparkling movie star, won Oscar best actress for "The Divorcee". Oscar nominated best actress for "A Free Soul", "The Barretts of Wimpole Street", "Romeo and Juliet", and "Marie Antionette". Also in "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney", "Let Us Be Gay", "Strange Interlude", "Idiot's Delight", "The Women", "Escape" w/Robert Taylor, "Her Cardboard Lover", etc.

Widow of MGM production chief Irving Thalberg (2 children). She surprised Hollywood when she married a ski instructor, 20 years her junior. The marriage would last 40 years, until her death.

She turned down the role of "Mrs. Miniver". Also in silent films, she left the screen in 1942. Discovered actress Janet Leigh.

Co-star/support Jack Haley (80) 1898-1961.

Smooth, easy-going Irish actor, remembered as the Tin Man in "The Wizard of Oz". In "Poor Little Rich Girl", "Wake Up and Live", "Alexander's Ragtime Band" w/Alice Faye, "Moon Over Miami", "Navy Blues" w/Sheridan, "Higher and Higher" w/Sinatra, etc.

Married for 58 years (2 children including producer Jack Haley Jr.). Was a graceful hoofer in vaudeville, movies and on the stage.

Co-star/support Henry O'Neill (69) 1891-1961.

Distinguished character actor (ala C. Aubrey Smith), in "Lady Killer" w/Cagney, "Midnight", "Flirtation Walk", "Bordertown", "The Story of Louis Pasteur", "Anthony Adverse", "Jezebel", "Dodge City", "Juarez", "Til We Meet Again", "Johnny Eager", "The Human Comedy", "The Green Years", "Holiday Affair', "Untamed", etc.

Was married with 1 child. He served in WWI.

Lead/co-star Hugh Herbert (64) 1887-1952.

Shy, stammering, wacky comic, often said 'woo-woo', in "Million Dollar Legs", "Footlight Parade", "Wonder Bar", "Harold Teen", "Dames", "A Midsummer Nights Dream", "The Great Waltz", "The Black cat", "Kismet", etc.

Married twice. Appeared in numerous comedy shorts. Also in vaudeville.

In memory of those who died this day August 10th:

Famous canine star Rin Tin Tin in 1932, Oscar winning director Frank Lloyd in 1960 at age 74, dependable character actor Vince Barnett in 1977 at age 75, singing cowboy Dick Foran in 1979 at age 69, sexy actress Raquel Torres in 1987 at age 78, Hollywood reporter Adela Rogers St.Johns in 1988 at age 94, and costume designer Irene Sharaff in 1993 at age 83.

Mongo

Right you are, Gerb. Jack Haley did pass away in 1979. I mistakenly picked up the year 1961 from actor Henry O'Neill, which was posted just below Haley.

RockyRoad, currently Eddie Fisher has another attractive wife.