Sign in to follow this  
melmac4ou

Gentleman's Agreement

7 posts in this topic

I just rented and watched this extraordinary picture. I am shocked that it hasn't earned a higher place in our esteem (our meaning classic movies fans). It is so difficult to remember that anti-semitism was prominent in America even after World War II.

Has anybody seen it or have any opinions on it?

It has Gregory Peck and John Garfield in it. Gregory Peck plays a journalist who, in order to write a difficult piece on anti-semitism, decides to pose as a Jewish person for a period of time. The film is about the problems he and his family encounter in 1950s New York.

If you haven't see it, I highly suggest it.

You already sold me on it, I love both Gregory Peck and John Garfield, there was a discussion about Garfield on another thread a couple of days back.

This is the movie that introduced me to Gregory Peck, and he's wonderful as the "social consience" without being too preachy. The writing and film directing debut of Elia Kazan are excellent, as are the rest of the cast, including a very young Dean Stockwell. It deservedly won an Oscar for Best Picture.

It is good. Moss Hart wrote the screenplay. I like him. Also Mr. Peck. A solid, dependable actor. Even in some serious westerns directed by Henry King. THE GUNFIGHTER, THE BRAVADOS.

I think the last time I saw "Gentlemen's" was on FOX. Does that mean TCM doesn't have access? How does that work?

It's available in a box set along with 'All About Eve', 'Sunrise', and 'How Green Was My Valley' for about $20. One of the best box sets available.