Sign in to follow this  
GarboManiac

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

1,199 posts in this topic

I have been reading, what so many people have written, about Hedy. She seems to be of great importance! Whenever there is an open discussion she is mentioned! In The Least Sexy thread she was the hottest topic, and even in I Swoon For ..., she is often repeated. Yes, there are many who were great, Garbo, Davis, Hepburn, Bergman, even Crawford. But, Hedy always rises to the top, like cream, to meet each one of them head to head. I am impressed with the number of supporters. Just what is it about her that makes her so outstanding (I mean besides her beauty, a topic always welcome for discussion)?

I am devoted to this beautiful woman as you already know. When I first saw her in Samson & Delilah my eyes popped out. Every time I watch her in a movie I feel like I opened up a treasure chest of beautiful jewels. People say she wasn't that good an actress. Who cares? I knew she could act. All I know is there will always be a special place in my heart for this beautiful woman.

TOOMANYNOTES

Yes, I do know. In fact, you are one of the reasons I posted this thread. You have excellent taste in many areas! Everyone else posts threads on all of the other "GREATS!" But, I have yet to see a thread on Hedy Lamarr!

This thread quickly caught my eye. My mother showed me my first Hedy Lamarr movie because she informed me that she was the most beautiful starlet of her time. Little did I know that we would agree on something for once. Heck, I'm a woman and I can see her appeal, aside from being gorgeous she had charisma.I don't think of her as a bad actress.

I don't either. As I have said before, she was accepted into Max Reinhardt's Dramatic school and taken under his wing because he thought so much of her. I understand she was a little stiff, but that was because she was a LADY! She was always classy when she acted, and that makes people think she couldn't act. I think she was the forerunner to Grace and Audrey! Many people thought Grace was stiff (wooden), too!

I don't think she was meant to play the plain-Jane, down and out type of movies like Jane Wyman or Barbara Stanwyck, so I don't know what people expect then.She did well at the roles she was meant to play.

Hey Too Many Notes,

Your mentioning "Samson and Delilah" reminded me of where I first met Hedy Lamarr. I went with Moyna MacGill, a good friend of my grandmothers, to visit her daughter, Angela Lansbury on the set.

I was there to see Angela pinned to the wall by that spear and Hedy vowing to revenge on Samson.

Hedy was indeed beautiful and a very nice and lovely lady. She laughed a lot, something she didn't get to do in many of her movies.

Next time I was with her was in 1954, in Acapulco, when she was married to Teddy Stauffer, another of granny's friends, and a part owner of the Americana Hotel there.

Hedy called to invite me over to have hamburgers. She cooked them and she bragged that they were the biggest, juiciest burgers I'd ever have, bar none. And they were and very good too. I had two and we wiped off the juices from each others cheeks and chins.

She was a natural beauty, nothing phoney and never any plastic surgery or nose job or straightened teeth. 100% Hedy and God!!

Unfortunately, I never saw her again.

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Hi TMN,

Later in life, there was whiskey sours and old fashioneds with Lana Turner on Malibu Beach.

Yes, I am a trained gourmet, having known these ladies. Ha, ha.........

Larry

I guess your entitled to your opinion. I never found her the most beautiful star just like I haven't found Barbara LaMarr or Olive Thomas the most beautiful or too beautiful women in the world. But Hedy has that title as the most beautiful woman in movies whether we agree with it or not. She lost "The Oomph Girl" title (in case you didn't know Ann Sheridan, Olivia de Havilland, and Hedy Lamarr was in a contest where Hollywood judges picked the winner of the Oomph girl title) that Ann Sheridan won so Hedy got the mentioned title which was great publicity. A lot of beauties at the time could have gotten the title but she was the lucky one. Hedy didn't get the title of most beautiful star by a vote by all of Hollywood and the whole world but only by a few people's opinion she got it.

Billie Dove

Frances Dee

Dorothy Lamour

Nina Mae McKinney

Kathryn Grayson

Kay Francis

Greta Garbo

Linda Darnell

Gene Tierney

were called the most beautiful actresses in their time too. I think if you compared all of them at their best it'd be hard to choose just one unless your bias.

Hedy lost her looks fast even her own son said she looked like Frankenstein because of all the plastic surgery in her later years and she wasn't even that old. Why did he lose her looks fast...drinking?

When was her prime late 1930's, early 1940's? There were many beauties at that time too who could compete and give Lamarr a run for her money. It's all about opinion of who you think is the most beautiful star. Just like you don't think someone like Nina Mae McKinney, Dolores del Rio, Linda Darnell, Kathryn Grayson, Anne Jeffreys, Myrna Loy and Gene Tierney isn't the most beautiful, I don't think Lamarr is. Different taste! But they all were lookers! What beautiful actresses wasn't called the most beautiful of her time!

Was she all about looks? That's the only thing people seem to talk about is her looks (which gets boring at times) so that's all she had going for her? We dont have anything else to talk about but her looks. I guess all she had was looks and you can make it on that but it shows it can't make you a great actress or be a star forever. Someone said Hedy was discriminated against and couldn't get good roles because of her beauty maybe she never displayed great acting chops so maybe that's why the studio didn't give her exceptional roles. Her beauty kept her in movies until people got tried of just seeing her face and wanted to see some real action. Beauty can get you into movies but if you dont have any other talents you won't last, same with men, you can get them with looks but you can't keep them if your ugly within. Other beauties had great roles so it had nothing to do with looks the studios told Hedy she was too beautiful for certain roles but that was just a nicer way to say your not talented enough.

Not everyone loses their looks if they take care of themselves. Lena Horne is one of few who stayed beautiful until she disappeared from public view in her late seventies. Hedy lost her looks in her late 30's, early 40's.

Hedy Lamarr and Nina Mae McKinney was in Copper Canyon in the early 1950's, both were called the most beautiful woman in their prime but by the 1950's they both were playing mediocre roles and hardly remembered.

> Was she all about looks? That's the only thing people

> seem to talk about is her looks (which gets boring

> at times) so that's all she had going for her?

She was also an inventor (no kidding). Here are some links: http://www.inventions.org/culture/female/lamarr.html

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/radio_history/gtnames/hedy_lamarr.php

http://members.tripod.com/~earthdude1/hedy_lamarr/lamarr.html

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

Thank you Mr. English for your contribution. Also on another thread I believe you provided a picture of Ms. Lamarr taken in the 60's. Could you show that picture again on this thread? Thank You!

Too Many Notes,

Ha, ha, ha......

I read your reply: 'Hedy Lamarr' to "Who is the most prettiest girl?" in that other thread and just howled. You are really going to stick it to this over negative, tabloid believing poster, aren't you!!!.......

I'll play frowning teacher (or nanny) here now: "You are a very naughty boy; now put out your little hand and I will smack it"... "There, now go to your naughty mat and put your face to the wall and think about what you've done."

BTW, everyone -- Hedy's son, Jimmy had several issues with his mother and that is why he said she looked like Frankenstein. And, Hedy did have surgery in later life, but on her eyes to save her sight; not cosmetic surgery.

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Larry:

You're too much. You and Hedy wiping each other's chins, laughing. Cut to dream sequence of you and Hedy running through the meadow/beach, in slow motion, having a wonderful time. Then, as suddenly, jarred awake with the knowledge that it could never be. So sad. So nice. What a memory.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Nice dream. She was nice to little boys too just as she was to big ones.

I did go with her and her kids and Reginald Gardiner to the premier of "Copper Canyon" too. Not that great a movie; I think Ray Milland was in it, not sure if he was a cowboy or what...

Larry

I've seen some pictures of Hedy Lamarr on the internet from her later years,and she most emphatically did NOT lose her looks later in life-good bone structure and breeding will tell! So I'll believe the evidence of my eyes over the insistence of some posters who would love to convince others that Hedy Lamarr did not remain beautiful. And as for the comments about "is that all there was to her" when we talk about her beauty,I'd like to remind this poster that she is the one who posts nothing but threads concerning "beauty" or "prettiness",so apparently,to this poster,it's a mighty important quality indeed.

If this poster would care to check out the "Star Of The Month" thread,she would see that there was definitely more to Hedy Lamarr than her astounding beauty,as evidenced by her invention of the frequency-switching system used in WWII for torpedo guidance,upon which cell phone frequencies are based even today.

I don't know why,but this poster has it in for Hedy Lamarr for some reason,and it's weird,because one of her former TCM posting names was "lamarr,hedy".