Sign in to follow this  
GarboManiac

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

1,199 posts in this topic

Speaking of Hedy,I was too impatient to wait for August to see "Ecstasy" on TCM,so I ordered the DVD from Amazon-it arrived a couple of days ago,and I watched it,and it's a great little movie(not great as in "all-time classic",but great as in "fun and interesting to watch". There's not that much to the famous nude scenes-you can't really see much,except in one shot-it's done very tastefully,with a very European attitude. It goes without saying that Hedy is gorgeous in it,though it's definitely her natural beauty,before she got the Hollywood "glamor" treatment.

I also ordered "Strange Woman" amd "Dishonored Lady"-I'm saving those for a treat for later :)

Was she all about looks?

Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa! That's rich,coming from you,when every thread that you post is about "most beautiful actress" or "most prettiest actress"(sic)!

And no,inspite of Hedy Lamarr's stunning,amazing,otherworldly beauty(completely God-made),she had a first-rate intellect.

Curious on the justfication for Hedy Lamarr. She was gorgeous, she was a co-inventor of spread-spectrum communication technology, she was delightfully brave in Ecstasy, and if nothing else, she was the inspiration for Hedley Lamarr.

For that, I thank her. :)

A joke in "Blazing Saddles" that was as airy as the campfire scene. It's Not Hedy...It's Hedley LaMarr! ( Harvey Korman)

TOOMANYNOTES

Oh,OK,that explains why I don't get it-I haven't ever seen "Blazing Saddles", and I'm not sure that anything short of bamboo shoots under my fingernails could bring me to do so,LOL.

In case anyone doesn't know Mel said she threatend to sue him over the name. Which explains the joke in the governor's office after Harvey corrects Mel after he says "Hedy". Mel says something like "then you can sue her."

Message was edited by: ME

I believe that you're correct,TOOMANYNOTES! I do believe that we hold-outs for true classic movies are out-numbered(or at least we're being made to believe that it's so...),so I give in-I throw in the towel-with this caveat-if TCM is going to start taking up valuable viewing time in which we could we be viewing what used to be considered "classic" films by the world at large,that we couldn't see anywhere else,and show such "classics" as "Caddyshack",etc,then I demand that they show that true screen gem "Smokey & The Bandit"! Fair is fair! I surrender-my re-education is complete(those re-education camps where they prop your eyes open and make you watch repeat showings of Sonny & Cher will do wonders!)-I now add my voice to the millions(so I'm told) clamoring for these modern "classics",by demanding that "Smokey & The Bandit" be scheduled!

> Mel said she threatend to sue him over the name.

In 1998, she did sue Corel Corporation, the Ottawa-based software company. Each year, Corel would have a design contest and give an award to the best image created with the CorelDraw software. Someone submitted an image, using Corel's vector graphics, that recreated her face. It won the award, and the image was placed on the package of the next edition of the software, CorelDraw 8. Hedy sued for $5 million, arguing that the company was making money from her face without her permission.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

I didn't know that, movieman1957. Cool story.

Oh, daddysprimadonna, it was actually a very funny movie, imo. However, it is not 'classic' nor does it belong on TCM.

Good job, David! Funny, I have an original ad, which I sliced out of a magazine from 1998, from that campaign. I framed it next to the Hurrell photo of Hedy from which it was copied. I know Hedy probably wouldn't like it, but I was so impressed that she was being remembered. Anyway, I tell that exact story everytime someone comments on the coupling of those two pictures on my wall.

http://www.germanhollywood.com/lamarr.html

As I said in an earlier thread, I was devoted to Garbo and Harlow in my early years. But, about 5 years after I had discovered those two, I saw Hedy Lamarr in Algiers in a small alley theatre in SF. Just like everyone in the theatres of the day, when it was first shown, I was mesmerized! I had never seen anything like her, and to this day, she is in constant competition with my devotion to Garbo.

> Funny, I have an original ad, which

> I sliced out of a magazine from 1998, from that campaign.

Here's another link to the Hedy-inspired CorelDraw image that won the design contest -- and cost Corel a big fat check to Hedy (reportedly $250,000): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0078824478/

Oddly, I was one of the Corel World Design Contest judges that year. There were probably two hundred of us, so it was no big honor. They trotted us around the room to see giant versions of each competing image. Then we used handheld devices to vote for the best one. An hour later, we attended the award ceremony to find out who actually won.

I didn't vote for the Hedy picture. It was a technical marvel, but I felt that it didn't have the creativity I saw in some of the others. My favorite one almost never won. Another year I was a judge, the winner was an image of a native American in full headgear. It was later disqualified as being a copy of a painting or photo (I don?t remember which), and the second place entry moved up to the number one spot.

That?s the closest I ever came to Hedy. We were connected indirectly through a lawsuit.

> Just like everyone in the theatres of the day,

> when it was first shown, I was mesmerized!

After watching the TCM documentary on Louise Brooks the other night, I was reminded how mesmerized I was when I first saw Pandora's Box (1928).What do you call a femme fatale who is innocent rather than conniving? Whatever you call her, she has to be the most dangerous kind.

DavidE

Well, I guess it won because it was Hedy. Even then the judges knew beauty when they saw it, even if it wasn't the best technically. I wish I could have seen the original. I am sure it was more fantastic than the ad, although I love that ad.

And, yes, Louise was something, but I have never seen her in action. I only have books with various pictures of her. OH, no! That is not quite true. There is that documentary, The Love Goddesses. I have that, and I have seen her briefly.

> And, yes, Louise was something, but I have never seen her in action.

Her two great films are the two films she made with director G. W. Pabst, which are Pandora's Box (1928) and Diary of a Lost Girl (1929). The other films I've seen with her are interesting, though hardly in the same league. Maybe Hedy would have been a great actress if she had found her Pabst.

DavidE

Yes! You know I mentioned before on another thread that Von Sternberg was supposed to direct her in I Take This Woman, but it got all messed up. Too bad! They would have made a great team. He may have gone from Marlene to her. Whenever I am watching Marlene in a Sternberg film, I tend to envision Hedy. She would have been right in her element. In fact, if you have ever noticed the difference in the direction and photography of the beginning of I Take This Woman. She looks like she is in a Von Sternberg film in those first shots. Then, the entire mood changes as did the director.

Hedy Lamarr should have a month on TCM! Look at how many posts her name is mentioned! She is a force to be reckoned with! If the TCM programmer reads all the threads ( and I think he /she does) he'll/she'll reccomend Two months of Hedy!!