Sign in to follow this  
GarboManiac

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

1,199 posts in this topic

In lieu of GM's absence I'll bring up "Ecstasy." In Osborne's intro he mentioned that the film was heavily edited when it came to the U.S., well they must have taken off the first 50 minutes or so. Never saw so many blatant unsubtle references to sex in my life. (Also never saw a "talkie" with so little dialogue.) After her ex is out of the picture I frankly didn't get it from there. A lot of construction going on though. Interesting "climax" scene but the hype was more interesting than the film. Reminds me of the "Liberty Valance" line "When the legend becomes fact print the legend."

And do remember that aside from having such a unique face she was also a scientist. She's reputed to have made & had the first cell phone and then worked inventing a guidence systum for topedo's which was so helpful in WW2 and other innovative inventions and all she got out of it was a letter from FDR thanking her...Yet the poor woman was caught shop lifting in New York. Amazing that nerdie Gate's got all those millions and she - nothing. pity!

GarboManiac, why not give RockyRoad a break and reurn to your Hedy Lamarr thread.

We are missing out on your thoughts about the Lamarr films that were shown during her day on 'Summer Under the Stars", which you were anticipating.

I also went through some nasty times on the boards along with charismatic boardmember Mary Lou (who I miss).

It all began with the so-called Profits of Doom, and it was my little grandson that made me realize it was stupid to continue such banter and waste my time. The child was right.

However, it didn't keep me away from the boards, and never will. I'll be damned if I bend for any such nonsense, and you shouldn't either.

Come back and enjoy your Hedy Lamarr thread, and entertain us with your knowledge.

We miss you.

Mongo

Poor garbomaniac, are you getting any rest. All of these people ragging at you. Read and enjoy, and come back when you think you can handle it again!!!

Anne

I agree I recently this year became aware of Hedy Lamarr.She is absolutely beautiful but reserved.Im so glad that TCM had Hedy Lamarr day this past Monday Aug 28. She along with Vivien Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor could all be sisters as far as looks. I just luv those dark haired emerald eyed women.

Ric in Concord,NC

With all due respect, Rocky, putting the blame completely on filmlover for GM's leaving is disingenuous to say the least. You, snarfie, tmn and he got into a big row, words were exchanged, feelings were hurt. TMN said he was leaving and filmlover spent more that a few posts apologizing profusely for not knowing that TMN's wife had terminal cancer.

GM came back that Saturday afternoon and was appalled at the turn in the thread (especially as he's a recent widower himself) and has not been back.

Snarfie, to his credit, went through the thread and deleted his posts. You followed as did filmlover.

It was, for the short time in which it occurred, an example of some of the worst flaming and confrontation this board has seen in quite some time. Filmlover was voicing his opinion and was immediately jumped on for having voiced an opinion that you, Snarfie and TMN did not agree with. The attacks turned very personal in some instances.

It was only when GM came back from his Saturday morning class and announced his outrage that you and Snarfie finally left the battlefield. In the ensuing aftermath, Snarfie

and filmlover took responsibility for their part in the battle. Filmlover announced he was taking an extended break (said he would check in from time to time but not daily), Snarife took the lead in deleting his confrontational posts.

GM left and I don't know that he will be back. But the blame cannot be laid entirely on filmlover. You were part of that particular battle and share in the blame as much as everyone else.

Posting with smiley faces and with "all the honor and respect I have in my heart." does not absolve you of your role in the battle nor does it give you the right to place the blame solely on filmlover.

Yo Rocky, you kiss with that mouth? Have you seen "drdoolittle" on the boards lately? He/she was also a victim of your rants.So chill out and let's get back to enjoying this site. We lost too many folk's already.

Your Brandon DeWilde imitation "Come back "GM"/Shane" is getting stale.

vallo (Bill)

TMN,Sorry you took it the wrong way but, I wasn't taking sides. I simply do not want arguing or the loss of anymore members. I've seen a lot of good, intelligent people leave over disagreements. We're here because of our love for classic movies.We post our opinions,recommendations,our love or hate of certain films,and/or actors on the TCM forum. We're here to be entertained,help with questions,learn and have our voice be heard, to have fun. But when it turns into name calling or poking fun of. Lately it seems to be getting out of hand. So let's sit back ,take a deep breath and enjoy.....

vallo

I am with you on this one Bill and so are many others its not about taking sides its exactly as you put it. I think Larry has said the same thing over on a different thread and we are going to lose him too .Okay so hate me now too if you must but we are missing the big picture here.

Now speaking of Hedy I was not aware of her Birthday and was informed by another poster that she would have turned 90 I think yesterday please if I am wrong about this excuse me as I am just learning about her and I have really enjoyed coming on this thread to get more educated on her . That is what I love about coming here is the vast wealth of knowledge that people are willing to share so thanks to every who has contributed .What a beautiful actress and the hair and eyes .have a good weekend everybody and stay positive we can keep going and learning from each other Inglis