Sign in to follow this  
GarboManiac

Hedy Lamarr: The Most Beautiful Star!

1,199 posts in this topic

The coke in the glass bottles seems to retain the flavor better plus cools better.Could it be that we like it better because that's the only way we drank it way back when?

Ok, I went down there and clicked on TCM Spain, but I couldn't understand a thing! Ha! I clicked on a few things but none of them looked like a forum.

Don't you agree that the colors they chose for the home page are dreadful?The one in english is way better.Did you see the other TCMs? France and U.K.?

Now I feel bad for saying that,knowing that Burton was trying to do it while in bad health and that he died shortly afterwards.

Geeze,I sometimes wish I'd lived in the Twenties/Thirties-the plays,the movies,the fashions(would've loved to live in a time where women wore hats as a matter of course!),just the whole atmosphere of those times-but of course I'd have to be rich,good friends with Norma Shearer,and one of the first people to have air conditioning(as she was,at home,due to Thalberg's health).

I don't know what I think of Laura LaPlant's acting,you can't really judge from one early talkie musical revue. I do remember from that revue,a dancing couple who danced some kind of "boneless" acrobatic dance to "Ragamuffin Romeo",and the girl who sang it was really cute,and had one of those Betty Boop voices.

The Coke is great,it's hotter than blazes here and even more humid-we just had a thunderstorm,but here,they don't clear the air,they steam it all up! AC is a very important necessity of life here!

I just remember having read it and the picture that was used above the caption was one taken from "Private Lives" with both Burton and Taylor.

I grew up in the era of cans(I think the glass bottles were just dying out when I was a kid),so when I discovered them,it was a revelation! And yes,it's a whole 'nother drink from the old glass bottle-much more fizzy,and less syrupy-tasting-plus it's handy for calorie-counting ;D

Message was edited by: Me!(dadgum spaces for the emoticons!)

daddysprimadonna

Oh, but the old glass bottles were so much fun, and reaching down into those red freezers or coolers, or whatever they were! Gosh, there are so many things I miss.

My daddy had one of those old Coke machines in his house,you actually had to put the coins in and pull the glass bottle out of a kind of rack in it.(I made him give me the change though) anim_beer.gif

I have always said that I was born in the wrong century.All of my music and movie collection belongs to times long gone.I totally agree about the fashion, the flapper era was nice but the 30's, 40's were equally up there on my fashion scale.

I would loved to have been one of those pioneer women who settled in the west and wrote novels.

Speaking of hot, it's been pretty hot here, but, hey, I'm in the caribbean and we middle class people here only have ceiling fans, right now I have the ceiling fan on with two stand fans as well.The mosquitos are kind of bad from all the rain. I'm used to it all.I actually live a very quiet life in the country where you never here a police car siren and everyone lives with their doors open, it's all relaxing and refreshing and so far from the hussle-bussle.

Hold on a minute cinemabuff! I just can't believe the description of dpd's living situation! It is so remote from mine! Oh, how I wish I were there, sans (french, for without) mosquitoes! Life is so hectic here, even in California!

That sounds great! I grew up partly in the country,and our house had A/C,but my parents didn't grow up with it and didn't like it, so it was only for the worst days of summer when it was time to go to bed.

I collect vintage clothes from the late Teens/Twenties/early Thirties-my most prized pieces are three frocks from the late Twenties with the panniers-the little wire things under the skirt on the side that make the dress stick out-and a picture hat from the late Twenties-the brim goes down in back. My Holy Grail is a pannier dress with the feather skirt-I'll probably die before I find one all in one piece.

And my velvet wrap-style opera coat with the big collar that turns up-like Norma Shearer's in "The Divorcee" in that great scene where she's in the car with Robert Montgomery,and has bedroom eyes as they are on their way to "balance the account" with her unfaithful husband!

Ok, I miss the old gas stations. I miss the smell of gas and summer mixed together. I miss the old music, which had melody and romance. I miss the old architecture were the floorboards creaked when you walked across the room. I miss the small shops where they knew your name, and would call you up when they got something in they thought you would like.

That velvet wrap opera coat sounds familiar, didn't Vivien Leigh wear one in GWTW and Meryl Streep wore one in "The French Lieutenant's Wife"?

I find that I definitely must get on the bandwagon with Norma Shearer. I haven't seen "The Divorcee".I remember seeing parts of one movie with her, the name is not known but I liked her style and her smile, she seemed very genuine.

But you see, I am forever feeling nostalgic when I'm watching the classics, it's a strange combination of melancholy and familiar that always has me captivated and looking for more.