Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

June 2016 TCM Schedule is Up

18 posts in this topic

Hello, TCM Forum members. The June 2016 schedule is now up. Marie Dressler is the SOTM, and there are features on Stage-to-Screen adaptations of both plays and musicals, and a continuing Friday night tribute throughout the month devoted to the films of Billy Wilder. Candice Bergen is the Guest Programmer.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-6-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-06-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-06-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-06-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-06-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-06-29

• Like 4

Marie Dressler and Billy Wilder, together at last.  What could be better than that?

Lydecker

• Like 3

Wow.  TCM is just cranking these schedules out--it seems like they're being published much quicker than they were last year.

Taking a precursory glance...

June 1

3 Bette Davis movies in a row that I haven't seen: Payment on Demand, June Bride, Winter Meeting.

I'm disappointed that there is nothing for Marilyn Monroe's 90th Birthday scheduled on this day.

June 2

Little Nellie Kelly, a Judy Garland movie I haven't seen

June 8

The Last of Mrs. Cheyney. A William Powell movie I haven't seen.

June 9

The Man With a Cloak. A Barbara Stanwyck movie I haven't seen.

June 10

The Black Scorpion.  Can't get enough of these movies with giant insects.

The Killer Shrews.  This sounds amazing.

June 15

I Love Melvin, a Debbie Reynolds movie I haven't seen

One More Tomorrow, an Ann Sheridan movie I haven't seen

Too Hot to Handle. A Clark Gable and Myrna Loy movie I haven't seen

June 20

Ooh Errol Flynn Birthday marathon.  I own all the films that are scheduled, but there are worse ways to spend a Monday afternoon.

June 21

Song of the Islands.  A Betty Grable movie I haven't seen.

June 22 (My birthday!)

Looks like a pre-code James Cagney marathon.

All of the Cagney films sound interesting--and they're short too!

June 23

Wait Until Dark.  An Audrey Hepburn movie I haven't seen.  I keep trying to record this movie and something always happens to the recording.

June 24

One, Two, Three. A Billy Wilder movie I haven't seen, and I don't think I've seen it scheduled--at least not recently.

June 28

Must be another Disney vault feature as they have The Parent Trap scheduled.  I already own this movie, so I won't be recording it, but I will be recording the three Mickey cartoons.  The Waking Sleeping Beauty documentary sounds interesting.  OH MAN! I already own this, so I don't need to record it, but they're showing Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land.  This is the greatest math-related cartoon ever.  

June 30

I Dood It.  Not so much for Red Skelton, but I'd like to see Eleanor Powell and I like Vincente Minnelli's films.

There are probably more things I'll record when it gets to June, but this is what popped out at me right now.

• Like 1

I agree with Speedy.  I'm amazed at how far ahead these are available -at least to American audiences.  For Canadians, if nobody provided these links, we in Canada would not be able to get them past a couple of months of the exact day today.

So we have another Canadian star of the month.  Great!  There are some Dressler movies I haven't seen in a long time that I want to see again.

Billy Wilder I will enjoy.  Interested to hear what Candice Bergan has to say. 

I'm happy to see that Marie Dressler is being recognized. Her films (with the exception of "Dinner At Eight") are rarely shown. For the last few years of her life she was the number one box office draw.

When "Topbilled" mentioned in another thread that Marie was June SOTM I thought he was kidding.

• Like 2

I think that it is a shame that TCM could not have scheduled a nighttime tribute to Marilyn Monroe on her 90 th birthday. How many times during the year have we seen GENTLE PREFER BLONDES or HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE? SOME LIKE IT HOT will be show during Billy Wilder`s tribute. I am disappointed, and my tribute will be a solo one.

• Like 1

It doesn't look like a particularly brilliant month, but it's nice that not only Ordet is back, but TCM is also showing Gertrud for the first time in years.  Also Absolute Beginners is back, at an unfortunately late time, while Diary of a Country Priest and King Lear appear very early in the morning.

• Like 1

3 Bette Davis movies in a row that I haven't seen: Payment on Demand, June Bride, Winter Meeting.

The Last of Mrs. Cheyney. A William Powell movie I haven't seen.

I like June Bride (1948) very much! Mary Wickes is precious. It is not grand movie but is very comfortable with many wonderful touches.

The Last of Mrs. Cheyney (1937) is excellent! Robert Montgomery and William Powell are wonderful antagonists. I love that Robert Montgomery is the Lord and William Powell a butler but Robert Montgomery is much more down-to-Earth and William Powell is much more sophisticated. The supporting cast elevate the movie greatly.

• Like 3

speedracer5--"I Dood It" isn't great, except for the musical numbers with Lena Horne and Hazel Scott; "Jericho" is Worth waiting to see.

I mention this film hoping it won't disappear from the schedule like "The Wicker Man" (1973) did; "So Long At The Fair" (1950) is a very good British period (1889) film noir with Jean Simmons.

• Like 1

I think that it is a shame that TCM could not have scheduled a nighttime tribute to Marilyn Monroe on her 90 th birthday. How many times during the year have we seen GENTLE PREFER BLONDES or HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE? SOME LIKE IT HOT will be show during Billy Wilder`s tribute. I am disappointed, and my tribute will be a solo one.

I agree. I was just coming on here to post about that. 

Other June birthdays they neglected this year: Alexis Smith (many of her Warner Brothers films are in the TCM/Turner library); Stan Laurel; Charles Coburn; Charlotte Greenwood; and Susan Hayward.

It doesn't look like a particularly brilliant month, but it's nice that only Ordet is back

ORDET is available every day of the year on Hulu.

I'm happy to see that Marie Dressler is being recognized. Her films (with the exception of "Dinner At Eight") are rarely shown. For the last few years of her life she was the number one box office draw.

When "Topbilled" mentioned in another thread that Marie was June SOTM I thought he was kidding.

Fellow poster Barton Keyes has created a thread for Marie in the Star of the Month forum. I recalled seeing a day for her in August 2008, as part of Summer Under the Stars. Most of her films have not aired on TCM in almost eight years. Barton was kind enough to find the old schedule from August 4th, 2008 and he has included it on the other thread.

• Like 1

Billy Wilder is certainly one of my top ten, maybe top five, all time directors, and I'm pleased at how comprehensive this retrospective appears to be. Looks like every single one of Wilder's pre-1970 (American) films will be airing in June, except for THE EMPEROR WALTZ, a Bing Crosby-Joan Fontaine Paramount romcom from 1948, one of the few Wilder films that doesn't resonate very strongly in my memory banks, but it's been quite a while since I last saw it. Most overdue among these films on TCM is ONE TWO THREE; it's been five years since the last time it aired.

Personally, I wish June had one more day (another Wilder night would have fallen on June 31, were there such a day), so we could see Wilder's final four films, which get little attention. Most people think he was slipping by then, but the completist in me would have liked to have seen them included. Also, maybe the focus is primarily on Wilder the director, but they could have thrown in BALL OF FIRE and NINOTCHKA for a look at his work as a writer directed by others.

• Like 2

Good Stuff:

Long Day's Journey Into Night  ***½

The Lower Depths ***

Hell Drivers ***

The Quare Fellow ***½

Ordet ****

The Devine Lady ***

The Patsy (1928) ***

Brighton Rock ***

The Big Combo ***

Jubal ***

The Reptile ***

Young Winston ***

The Importance of Being Earnest ***

Tell It to the Marines ***

Song of the Islands ***

One, Two, Three ****

The Flim-Flam Man ***

Nice Girl? ***

The Parent Trap ***

Waking Sleeping Beauty (Documentary)

Hot Lead and Cold Feet ***

King Lear (1971) ***½

Here is one that has been bumped in both Canada and the U.S. ...

Thursday, June 2

2 p.m.  All Night Long (1963)  With Patrick McGoohan and Betsy Blair.  Not to be confused with the Gene Hackman film.

Here is one that has been bumped in both Canada and the U.S. ...

Thursday, June 2

2 p.m.  All Night Long (1963)  With Patrick McGoohan and Betsy Blair.  Not to be confused with the Gene Hackman film.

Any reason given why it is not airing in USA either?  Not that it makes any difference to us in Canada, but I wonder why?

Any reason given why it is not airing in USA either?  Not that it makes any difference to us in Canada, but I wonder why?

There is no reason given when films are bumped.  You can assume things like rights issues or obtaining acceptable prints as possible reasons.