Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

Marie Dressler as SOTM June 2016

11 posts in this topic

17 films on Monday nights in June!

Fun fact -- Dressler was born in my hometown of Coburg, Ontario

79808-004-4BE0D284.jpg

Marie Dressler on the night she won the Best Actress Oscar for MIN AND BILL (1930). Lionel Barrymore, pictured with her, won Best Actor that night for A FREE SOUL (1931).

Monday, June 6

CHASING RAINBOWS (1929) with Jack Benny

THE DIVINE LADY (1929) with Corinne Griffith

THE PATSY (1928) with Marion Davies

TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE (1914) with Charles Chaplin

THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE (1929) with Polly Moran

Monday, June 13

ANNA CHRISTIE (1930) with Greta Garbo

LET US BE GAY (1930) with Norma Shearer

THE GIRL SAID NO (1930) with Polly Moran

THE VAGABOND LOVER (1929) with Rudy Vallée

Monday, June 20

MIN AND BILL (1930) with Wallace Beery

REDUCING (1931) with Polly Moran

POLITICS (1931) with Polly Moran

ONE ROMANTIC NIGHT (1930) with Lillian Gish

Monday, June 27

DINNER AT EIGHT (1933) with Jean Harlow

TUGBOAT ANNIE (1933) with Wallace Beery

EMMA (1932) with Jean Hersholt

PROSPERITY (1932) with Polly Moran

• Like 3

Great choice. When I first saw this thread I thought it was another wildly unlikely SOTM request thread, but it actually is so.

• Like 1

Great choice. When I first saw this thread I thought it was another wildly unlikely SOTM request thread, but it actually is so.

That's what I thought too! We've been discussing CHRISTOPHER BEAN, her last film, on another thread. Too bad it was not included here.

Thanks Barton for the information!

Thanks for posting this list.  There are several movies here I've never seen before, and others I haven't seen in years. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this list.  There are several movies here I've never seen before, and others I haven't seen in years. 

If I am not mistaken, she was a Summer Under the Stars honoree in August 2008. The reason I remember this is because I had just started watching TCM a month earlier, and it was my first exposure to some of those rare early 30s films. With the exception of ANNA CHRISTIE and DINNER AT EIGHT, most of the titles for this tribute have not aired on TCM since 2008. 

I feel the ones with Polly Moran should have all been scheduled on the same evening. And it would have been nice if CHRISTOPHER BEAN had been presented, since it's one that people most ask about.

If I am not mistaken, she was a Summer Under the Stars honoree in August 2008. The reason I remember this is because I had just started watching TCM a month earlier, and it was my first exposure to some of those rare early 30s films. With the exception of ANNA CHRISTIE and DINNER AT EIGHT, most of the titles for this tribute have not aired on TCM since 2008. 

Yes, Marie Dressler was featured during Summer Under the Stars on August 4, 2008.

The films which TCM aired that day were:

THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE

TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE

THE DIVINE LADY

THE VAGABOND LOVER

THE GIRL SAID NO

LET US BE GAY

REDUCING

POLITICS

DINNER AT EIGHT

MIN AND BILL

EMMA

ANNA CHRISTIE

TUGBOAT ANNIE

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! III

With the exception of that last title, all of those films will be airing again in June and a lot of them are rarely seen on TCM.

• Like 1

Yes, Marie Dressler was featured during Summer Under the Stars on August 4, 2008.

The films which TCM aired that day were:

THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE

TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE

THE DIVINE LADY

THE VAGABOND LOVER

THE GIRL SAID NO

LET US BE GAY

REDUCING

POLITICS

DINNER AT EIGHT

MIN AND BILL

EMMA

ANNA CHRISTIE

TUGBOAT ANNIE

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! III

With the exception of that last title, all of those films will be airing again in June and a lot of them are rarely seen on TCM.

Yes, that's when I became an unabashed Marie Dressler fan. LOL Later that month, they also had a day for Marion Davies. 

Thank you Barton Keyes for posting the Monday Marie Dressler Must See Movies in June.

I adore Marie and appreciate that TCM is honouring her as SOTM.

I plan on recording several of her movies and particularly look forward to my favourites, Emma and Min and Bill.

• Like 1

I personally feel that Marie Dressler is a wonderful choice for the Star of the Month.

Usually TCM does a group Star of the Month kind of thing every June. In past years we've had singing cowboys and pin-up girls. So I was a little surprised they went outside the box with Marie, especially since a lot of her films are from the precode years. Don't get me wrong. I am glad they made this choice. She's quite deserving. So is Marion Davies, who has not yet been so honored.