Sign in to follow this  
Borninthe40s

Why have On Demand movies on TV all but disappeared?

60 posts in this topic

This is fun.  TCM has now--again--been completely deleted from the networks offering films via Comcast's On Demand listings.  This is the second time it has happened in 8 days.  Looks like with the expiration of the three films listed yesterday, and continuing with the failure to add films as they expired beginning last Wednesday, the network is once more no longer available through On Demand.  We went through all this last week.  Do we really need the practice?

TCM--you need to get involved in resolving this.  

TCM decides what to show On Demand - they are involved.

Just checked the  Comcast On Demand this morning, TCM is NOT there. If anyone has Charter, please check your On Demand and let us know if TCM is there. Thanks. Moderator please let us know what's going on. Thanks

• Like 1

Just checked the  Comcast On Demand this morning, TCM is NOT there. If anyone has Charter, please check your On Demand and let us know if TCM is there. Thanks. Moderator please let us know what's going on. Thanks

Charter shows one movie on TCM On Demand,

I get TCM through AT&T, and there is a large selection of movies available on demand, from Annie to The Young in Heart.

If you have TCM, you should be able to access on demand through your smartphone through the TCM mobile app (not true for all providers, notably TimeWarner).  Since that is different from the Website proper, it might have the full selection of movies.  Then you could use something like Chromecast to play the movie on your TV.

Hey everybody

TCM is aware of this issue, and are working hard to get it resolved!  

Thank you for your patience :)

OK TCM, What gives? Are all the execs on vacation? on a cruise? We, your fans are getting no answers as to what the problem is between Comcast and you and On Demand. TCM once again has been removed from Comcast On Demand. Comcast says the problem is on your end. That you provide the movies for On Demand. Can someone please let us know what is happening? the Truth? You have die hard loyal fans here asking for answers and no one will let us know something. I mean really, are you guys at TCM all gone, mia? Does ANYONE know? ANYONE AT HOME THERE??? Before you said it was a technical error and was being fixed. Please give us some answers.

• Like 1

any answers? happening again.

OK TCM, What gives? Are all the execs on vacation? on a cruise? We, your fans are getting no answers as to what the problem is between Comcast and you and On Demand. TCM once again has been removed from Comcast On Demand. Comcast says the problem is on your end. That you provide the movies for On Demand. Can someone please let us know what is happening? the Truth? You have die hard loyal fans here asking for answers and no one will let us know something. I mean really, are you guys at TCM all gone, mia? Does ANYONE know? ANYONE AT HOME THERE??? Before you said it was a technical error and was being fixed. Please give us some answers.

How many of you are there?

• Like 1

Nothing at all on the Time Warner Cable system in NYC. Which means that with all of that deserved time off, Robert Osborne can't even watch a TCM On Demand title.

No more between-film announcers

No more recording without having to buy a descrambler

No On Demand

But hey, if you want some wine or to take a cruise, this is the place to be.

• Like 3

[quote name="clore" post="1277358" timestamp="14

No more between-film announcers

No more recording without having to buy a descrambler

No On Demand

But hey, if you want some wine or to take a cruise, this is

the place to be.

Life's tough. And then you watch AMC.

• Like 4

Life's tough. And then you watch AMC.

I haven't watched AMC since January 2006 and that occasion was the first time in about three years.

• Like 1

You can add Time Warner Cable to the list of companies having this problem.  I watch a lot of movies on TCM On Demand and am really disappointed with this "now you see me, now you don't" that is going on.

I also wish that TCM would work with TWC to make the Watch TCM app available.  A lot of TWC customers are unhappy that this isn't available to them.  :(

• Like 2

You can add Time Warner Cable to the list of companies having this problem.  I watch a lot of movies on TCM On Demand and am really disappointed with this "now you see me, now you don't" that is going on.

I also wish that TCM would work with TWC to make the Watch TCM app available.  A lot of TWC customers are unhappy that this isn't available to them.  :(

This is interesting, as one of the Comcast posters said at least one other cable company besides Comcast was having the same trouble with TCM and its On Demand listings.  It sounds like that one other company could well be Time Warner.  I don't know how long you've been without On Demand films from TCM, but this is the second time in less than 10 days that TCM was suddenly absent from the list of On Demand network offerings.  Very frustrating.

You have my sympathies, big time, on the inability to watch TCM films through their app. I prefer to watch the films on my television, but when I miss a broadcast or a film isn't offered via Comcast's On Demand, I can usually see it for a week afterward through their app.  With Time Warner such a large part of the cable market--at least that's my impression--it's a loss for classic film fans to not have that option.  

From Xfinity/Comcast's forum:
Posted by‎0  4-12-2016 01:01 PM

ComcastTeds : "Just to provide another update. Turner/TCM and their vendor discovered another issue preventing their content to be sent to us. It is affecting all cable operators and is a high priority on the TCM side to resolve. All teams are actively working to resolve and hope to deliver as soon as they can."

Wow, TCM really sucks.  Evidently it has pulled it movie lineup from Comcast's free on-demand movies.  No warning, no advance notice, just ... gone.  I went to VOD today to watch a movie and TCM is no longer listed in the channel lineup for on-demand viewing.  

No point calling Comcast to ask why; they always deny knowledge of any changes in service.  

So what's up with TCM pulling this service?  Bad enough when TCM went to listing fewer movies with a choice of HD or regular.  Who cares whether or not a classic movie is HD or not?  I just liked the movies.  Only decent movies on TV with no commercials.  Now even those are gone.

Not at all consistent with the image TCM projects on its channel.

And BTW, somebody tell Ben Mankiewicz that the guy who wrote "The Virginian" was Owen WISTER, not Owen WISLER.  Ben said "Wisler" twice, then couple minutes later OWEN WISTER pops up in the opening credits of the film.  

Wow, TCM really sucks.  Evidently it has pulled it movie lineup from Comcast's free on-demand movies.  No warning, no advance notice, just ... gone.  I went to VOD today to watch a movie and TCM is no longer listed in the channel lineup for on-demand viewing.  

No point calling Comcast to ask why; they always deny knowledge of any changes in service.  

So what's up with TCM pulling this service?  Bad enough when TCM went to listing fewer movies with a choice of HD or regular.  Who cares whether or not a classic movie is HD or not?  I just liked the movies.  Only decent movies on TV with no commercials.  Now even those are gone.

Not at all consistent with the image TCM projects on its channel.

Hi Saskia:  This has been a problem for over a week now with Comcast and TCM.  According to Comcast's help forum, they say that TCM is not submitting films for their On Demand offerings.  They are also characterizing this as a technical problem and temporary in nature.  TCM, the cable company and the associated vendor are apparently working on a resolution.  

Unfortunately, the absence of TCM from VOD has occurred twice now since early April.  It occurred once, was resolved, but then recurred this past Sunday.  We are waiting, again, for this issue to be resolved.  

Although I'm far more likely to blame Comcast for these types of problems given my past experience with them, another cable company--Time Warner--also has its customers describing the same problem.  This is according to the Comcast forum and posts on this board.  That may give more credence to TCM being the source of the problem, especially given the very limited response of TCM to the multiple posts and several threads here.  For now, Comcast says it is working with TCM on resolving this.

Add Cox to the list as well.

Last week there were half a dozen or so movies for on demand viewing - now zip, zilch, zero.

I get TCM through AT&T, and there is a large selection of movies available on demand, from Annie to The Young in Heart.

If you have TCM, you should be able to access on demand through your smartphone through the TCM mobile app (not true for all providers, notably TimeWarner).  Since that is different from the Website proper, it might have the full selection of movies.  Then you could use something like Chromecast to play the movie on your TV.

Yeah, sure, if you've got the money to afford a fancy smart phone or Chromecast (whatever that is).  A lot of us like free movies on our TVs because the movies are FREE.  As in, we don't have to pay extra for them.  

• Like 1

Yeah, sure, if you've got the money to afford a fancy smart phone or Chromecast (whatever that is).  A lot of us like free movies on our TVs because the movies are FREE.  As in, we don't have to pay extra for them.  

I have an AT&T Go phone.  It'a a pay-as-you-go service.  $100 gets me through seven months or so.  The phone itself cost about $50 (it's a Motorola-not big, but I don't need a 3x5 index card in my pocket).  Chromecast costs about $35.  You download the Chromecast app to your smartphone and cast the screen on your phone to your TV.  Then whatever you watch on the internet shows up on your TV.  Most people have internet access through their cable providers (that's how I assume you post here).  You can access the internet from your phone through it's WiFi, so you don't even need to pay for internet through your phone.  You don't even need to use the phone.  You can use the On Demand through the standard TCM Website, and set up your TV as a monitor for your computer.  The reason I use my phone is so I can watch movies and videos with my computer being asleep--extending the life of my hard drive.

As of early this afternoon, Comcast is saying that although new content for their TCM VOD failed to load last night as they had expected, they discovered another problem this morning causing TCM's inability to submit new On Demand films.  Comcast states that this problem is on TCM's end, and that TCM is focused on resolving this due to the sheer number of customers effected--as noted below, Cox joins Comcast and Time Warner as cable companies with this same problem.  

No time/day given as to when Comcast anticipates this being fixed.    

• Like 1

I have an AT&T Go phone.  It'a a pay-as-you-go service.  $100 gets me through seven months or so.  The phone itself cost about $50 (it's a Motorola-not big, but I don't need a 3x5 index card in my pocket).  Chromecast costs about $35.  You download the Chromecast app to your smartphone and cast the screen on your phone to your TV.  Then whatever you watch on the internet shows up on your TV.  Most people have internet access through their cable providers (that's how I assume you post here).  You can access the internet from your phone through it's WiFi, so you don't even need to pay for internet through your phone.  You don't even need to use the phone.  You can use the On Demand through the standard TCM Website, and set up your TV as a monitor for your computer.  The reason I use my phone is so I can watch movies and videos with my computer being asleep--extending the life of my hard drive.

Chromecast is pretty cheap, but by streaming over the net & then recasting that stream to your TV, you're having to do a bunch of additional workarounds, that are subject to the additional issues that streaming/recasting can sometimes bring. With On Demand, it's simply a couple of button pushes on the DVR remote and there's your movie (when the service actually has some movies loaded up, of course...).

• Like 1

Chromecast is pretty cheap, but by streaming over the net & then recasting that stream to your TV, you're having to do a bunch of additional workarounds, that are subject to the additional issues that streaming/recasting can sometimes bring. With On Demand, it's simply a couple of button pushes on the DVR remote and there's your movie (when the service actually has some movies loaded up, of course...).

That last is the operative phrase.  People are complaining they can't see movies.  I was trying to show people how they can see them.  If a few extra keystrokes presents an insurmountable obstacle, they will have to remain unhappy.  Personally, I find navigating my TV provider's features is much more cumbersome than getting to TCM On Demand on the Website, or the mobile app.

One movie has made it to TCM On Demand: "Treasure Island" from 1934.  Hope more join it soon.

Same single movie also appeared on the Cox On Demand TCM menu. Also hoping to see some further additions.

That last is the operative phrase.  People are complaining they can't see movies.  I was trying to show people how they can see them.  If a few extra keystrokes presents an insurmountable obstacle, they will have to remain unhappy.  Personally, I find navigating my TV provider's features is much more cumbersome than getting to TCM On Demand on the Website, or the mobile app.

It's only the operative phrase whilst an abnormal situation (few/no TCM movies on the TV provider on demand services) exists. Yes, if the TCM on demand service is ever permanently removed, then the abnormal will become normal - but, that's not yet established as the case, especially if TCMModerator's comments are correct.

The workarounds are akin to purchasing a unicycle to ride from Florida to Washington state, because both your car & your local gas stations are all temporarily out of motion lotion - perfectly do-able, but ultimately something of a pain in the rear.. ;)

• Like 2

I just looked at the WATCH TCM Movies On Demand list, using Mozilla Firefox ver 4 web browser from my PC

http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/movies/

And aside from movies still airing live, there were listed most of the titles that have aired within the last two weeks, as available to view

I  am aware that viewing that list is browser "sensitive." And due to the numerous and "ongoing" WATCH TCM app revisions, what used to work great in the past, often becomes problematic or stops working completely.

i.e. IE ver 9 and Google Chrome ver 4 used to work flawlessly several months ago, not anymore....

The TCM app is still way too buggy for many persons to use with any consistency, or at all...

Check out the following board's numerous threads and posts.

PROBLEMS with TCM.com

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/forum/75-problems-with-tcmcom/

I haven't been to the Watch TCM part of the website, but if you can't get there with Firefox then there must be a problem.  Hopefully this isn't one of those websites that depend on so many trackers and so much click-bait to function, that the scripting on their website works like a string of Christmas tree lights.

P.S. I am using Firefox 45 on a Linux PC.  Hopefully that is only a typo and you are beyond Firefox 4 on your Windows PC.

Okay so far I am seeing that Comcast and Time Warner customers are hurting the most.  Don't know about Comcast, maybe they are cheap, but Time Warner is internal.  So it would seem to me that this is about turning a profit.