GregoryPeckfan

Portrayals of Real Life Women in Biopics

55 posts in this topic

What are some of your recommendations for biopics of real-life women?

This topic is  intended to be year round and refer to any era or country.

It is  inspired by the fact that today is International Women's Day but make no mistake, this is a thread about movie portrayals of women in all aspects of life whose lives have been captured on screen.  Sometime biopics are accurate, sometimes they are influenced by the era in which they were made and what was allowed to be shown on the screen at that time.

Furthermore, sometimes the autobiographies upon which they are based are biased, such as Anna L. perhaps increasing the actual influence she had on the Siamese King. 

Some biopics that come to mind that I recommend are:

Blossoms in the Dust

The Nun's Story

I'll Cry Tomorrow

With a Song in My Heart

Love Me or Leave Me

Smash Up: The Story of a Woman

The King and I as well as Anna and the King

One of the biggest of the 40's was Madame Curie.

Sweet Dreams, What's Love Got to Do with It, Coal Miner's Daughter, Interrupted Melody are some entertainer bios.

• Like 2

She didn't look like Billie Holliday. And she didn't sing like her. But Diana Ross portrayed the troubled jazz great so well in "Lady Sings the Blues," she received a 1972 Academy Award nomination as Best Actress. 

• Like 1

And then there's the Meryl Streep Hall of Fame:

outofafrica4.jpg

Streep in "Out of Africa"

• Karen Silkwood in "Silkwood" (1983). 
  • Isak Dinesen in "Out of Africa" (1985). 
  • Lindy Chamberlain in "A Cry in the Dark" (1988).
  • Roberta Guaspari in "Music of the Heart" (1999).
  • Julia Child in "Julie & Julia" (2009).
  • Baroness Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady" (2011).

• Like 3

One of the biggest of the 40's was Madame Curie.

Sweet Dreams, What's Love Got to Do with It, Coal Miner's Daughter, Interrupted Melody are some entertainer bios.

The only one you've listed I have not seen is Sweet Dreams.

Anne Bancroft as Annie Sullivan in "The Miracle Worker" (with Patty Duke as the young Helen Keller):

2484797_l5.jpg

Jane Fonda as Lillian Hellman in "Julia" (1977):

julia.png

Fonda with Vanessa Redgrave, who won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance

Glenda Jackson as England's Queen Elizabeth I and Vanessa Redgrave as Scotland's Mary Stuart in "Mary, Queen of Scots" (1971). NOTE: Actually, the two queens never met.

glenda-jackson-mary-queen-of-scots-vanes

• Like 2

Joanne Woodward as Eve White, Eve Black and Jane in "The Three Faces of Eve" (1957)

• Like 1

Geneviève Bujold as Anne Boleyn in "Anne of the Thousand Days" (1969):

anne3.jpg

Bujold with Richard Burton as King Henry VIII of England

Vanessa Redgrave as Isadora Duncan in "Isadora" (1968). NOTE: The great American dancer dies one of the most unfortunate deaths in recorded history. And it's in the movie, too!

30b5452fef6218b5fc597d1b15e9f67e.jpg

Jennifer Jason Leigh as Dorothy Parker, the splendid writer with the acerbic wit, in "Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle" (1994). NOTE: Leigh didn't receive her first Academy Award nomination until two decades later.

Jennifer%2BJason%2BLeigh%2BLast%2BExit%2

Jessica Lange as the troubled actress Frances Farmer in "Frances" (1982). NOTE: Unfortunately for Lange, her performance was Oscar nominated the same year that Meryl Streep won the Best Actress Award for "Sophie's Choice." But Lange was given a Best Supporting Actress consolation prize for "Tootsie."

84208_full.jpg

jake, your choices are great, but all of these embedded videos are starting to make it tough to get through this thread.

• Like 2

There are many portrayals of monarchs on screen, so maybe it's more important to think of others. But we do remember Bette Davis as Elizabeth I (twice), Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth I (twice), Helen Mirren as Elizabeth II, Marlene Dietrich as Catherine the Great (THE SCARLET EMPRESS), etc. Katharine Hepburn is less than ideally cast as MARY OF SCOTLAND.

There are also portrayals of female criminals, such as Ann Todd as Madeleine Smith in MADELEINE, Faye Dunaway as Bonnie Parker in BONNIE AND CLYDE, etc.

Greer Garson, who did several of these biopics, also played Eleanor Roosevelt in SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO.

Nicole Kidman played Virginia Woolf in THE HOURS.

Rosalind Russell played Sister Kenny, who developed a new treatment in the fight against polio.

• Like 1

jake, your choices are great, but all of these embedded videos are starting to make it tough to get through this thread.

I'll stop when you settle on one avatar!  :)

• Like 3

Isabelle Adjani as Adèle Hugo in François Truffaut's "The Story of Adèle H." (1975). NOTE: For her performance as the obsessed daughter of the 19th-century French author Victor Hugo, Adjani -- at 20 years and 235 days old -- became the youngest-ever Oscar nominee for Best Actress. Forty years later, the record is now 9.

story-of-adele-h.jpg

Isabelle Adjani

• Like 3

She didn't look like Billie Holliday. And she didn't sing like her. But Diana Ross portrayed the troubled jazz great so well in "Lady Sings the Blues," she received a 1972 Academy Award nomination as Best Actress. 

Two Weeks ago my local library showed LADY SINGS THE BLUES 1972 in their program of Black History Month Speakers and Films. Two adults besides me viewed this exceptional film. I didn`t understand why two teachers brought a middle school class to see the film. For the content in 1972, I would rate the film R. The children weren`t interested in seeing the film, and they left after a hour.

• Like 1

Barbara Stanwyck as the world-renowned American sharpshooter in "Annie Oakley" (1935), directed by George Stevens.

p01rnxdc.jpg

Stanwyck with Preston Foster and Melvyn Douglas

• Like 1

Mary Steenburgen in Martin Ritt's "Cross Creek" (1983), the story of the American author and Florida resident Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. 

cross-creek.jpg

Peter Coyote and Steenburgen 

Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya was: Queen of the Screen in early cinema. Her beauty inspired artists and filmmakers. She made many more than one hundred movies in her short life. She was murdered by the French because of her affair with their ambassador. All but a few of her movies were ordered destroyed by soviet because they were deemed to be decadent.

She is much beloved. A life-size statue of her stands in Odesa:

vX6Oa5V.jpg?1

A Slave of Love (1976) is dramatization of her life.

Island of the Dead (1993) is documentary of her working life in Epocha Modern cinema.

A tribute to her and short biography is available for viewing at:

Flora Robson played several monarchs too.

Lawrence, who was portrayed in the movie Sweet Dreams?

I have The Helen Morgan Story recorded and waiting for me.

Kate Winslet and Dame Judi Dench as the British author Dame Iris Murdoch in "Iris" (2001). NOTE: It was the second time that Winslet received an Academy Award nomination as the younger version of a character also played by an Oscar-nominated older actress. The first time was for "Titanic" (1997

kate-iris.jpg

Winslet as the young Iris Murdoch 

Screen-Shot-2013-06-12-at-23.08.02.png

Dench with Jim Broadbent, who won an Oscar as Iris's husband

• Like 1

Jennifer Jones as Bernadette Soubirous in "The Song of Bernadette" (1943), the story of a French girl who has miraculous visions in the town of Lourdes.

song%20of%20bernadette%202.jpg

Jones won a Best Actress Oscar for her performance

• Like 1