Sign in to follow this  
djh56

Dashed lines at top of screen

5 posts in this topic

For the past several weeks, many of the movies that are not letterboxed have annoying dashed lines at the top of the screen. I was watching My Cousin Rachel this evening on TV, and the lines were there, so I decided to stream it live on my computer using Watch TCM, and they were there, too. Same dashed lines watching Moulin Rouge the previous night, but I just checked Moulin Rouge on demand, and the lines were NOT there. My cable provider is Charter Spectrum; I don't know if it has anything to do with that. Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

For the past several weeks, many of the movies that are not letterboxed have annoying dashed lines at the top of the screen. I was watching My Cousin Rachel this evening on TV, and the lines were there, so I decided to stream it live on my computer using Watch TCM, and they were there, too. Same dashed lines watching Moulin Rouge the previous night, but I just checked Moulin Rouge on demand, and the lines were NOT there. My cable provider is Charter Spectrum; I don't know if it has anything to do with that. Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

I believe that this is closed caption data, transmitted in picture lines that are outside the intended viewing portion of the image frame. With TCM, I tend to see this more often on older 4:3 ratio B/W stuff. On the plus side, its an indication that you're seeing all of the available lines in the frame (none are being cropped by overscan) - the downside is, well, you noticed it...

I have commented on this same problem more recently. The " dashed lines" or "overscan " are showing up on about 50 per cent of the films shown in standard definition, where, because of the black space all around the frame, it is more noticeable. Obviously if the other 50 per cent of the films don't have this overscan, TCM should be able to check their equipment and isolate it!

Here's a recent example: the Disney Treasures broadcast of THE STORY OF ROBIN HOOD had these jagged white lines above the frame, while the broadcast of THE BRAVE LITTLE TAILOR did not. Nor did either of the Leonard Maltin intros have them. Can this problem not be isolated and fixed? Remember I'm only referring to the Standard Broadcast of these films...

7 hours ago, shrinkwrap said:

Here's a recent example: the Disney Treasures broadcast of THE STORY OF ROBIN HOOD had these jagged white lines above the frame, while the broadcast of THE BRAVE LITTLE TAILOR did not. Nor did either of the Leonard Maltin intros have them. Can this problem not be isolated and fixed? Remember I'm only referring to the Standard Broadcast of these films...

I don't know if there is any effort to fix this, but in general the digital scanned image would need to eliminate the top line or so.  Apparently when transmitted on the old analog signal, this was overscanned or masked off by the older technology CRT TV (just a guess).  On a side note, I still use a CRT TV in one room and can see these too.  That is probably just because it is coming in on a digital signal, then sent to the TV.  So the TV probably just doesn't see it as an "overscan" and thinks it is part of the picture.

It probably wouldn't kill the consumer equipment manufacturers to include a setting to blank just the top line before sending it to the TV.  Could be as quick and easy as part of a provider DVR firmware upgrade.