konway87

Your Favourite Top 5 Alfred Hitchcock Movies

67 posts in this topic

> Shadow Of A Doubt

> Midnight Lace

> Notorious

> suspicion

> marine

David Miller directed the only "Midnight Lace" that I know of !!

I think they're all amazing, but here are my top 5:

1. The Birds

2. Shadow of a Doubt

3. Rear Window

4. Psycho

5. The Man Who Knew Too Much

This was a really hard decision!!

Interesting. As much as I love ALL Hitchcock movies and television shows (with the exception of The Trouble With Harry), most especially The Lodger and Shadow Of A Doubt and The Lady Vanishes and Sabotage and Saboteur and The 39 Steps and the one with Lloyd Nolan and the Statue of Liberty (probably already named) and the original Man Who Knew Too Much (not Doris Day's version, blech) and The Foreign Correspondent and even Torn Curtain (I didn't love that one, I liked it, as I did Psycho and Rope and Rear Window and The Birds and Vertigo), I HAVE to say, oddly enough, that I love, love, LOVE to death,

North By Northwest.

I am wondering if, as Wizard Of Oz isn't THE most perfect movie in the history of the world to me, that North By Northwest isn't THE most perfect Hitchcock movie to me.

I know, overly dramatic. But these threads always get me, happily, to thinking on one of my favorite subjects, films.

So, I have to go with North With Northwest as THE most perfect Hitchcock movie.

To me.

dolores

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

PSYCHO

NOTORIOUS

REAR WINDOW

ROPE

I've recently started to warm up to FRENZY.

I know that film appreciation is subjective and personal and to each his own and all that. But I have to admit, at the risk of sounding pompous, that I am dumbfounded and befuddled by any top 5 list that excludes Vertigo. This one lingers in the mind long after you've become familiar with the engaging plot and the dazzling display of technique found in most Hitchcock movies. It's the one that keeps yielding a little extra every time I watch it. As someone else said, Marnie is underrated, and some Hitch fans have neglected to watch The Wrong Man.

1. Vertigo

2. Rear Window

3. Notorious

4. (tie) Marnie and The Wrong Man.

Rebecca

Shadow of a Doubt

Strangers on a Train

The 39 Steps

Saboteur

I can't do it, just 5? Like choosing between arms. It felt too strange, so here's the other arm.

Rear Window

North by Northwest

Notorious

The Lady Vanishes

Psycho

Hey, Kinski (I'm a Klaus fan, BTW.)

Topaz? I've seen it a few times. I ask in sincerity, what do you find special with it? Is it the exotic local, the filmmaking, or something in the plot?

oobleckboy

Hey there, let me turn it around on you... I just don't get the pack mentality criticism of this movie. I look for something not to like in Topaz and I really can't find it. Many great scenes and some brilliant acting, especially from Philippe Noiret.

I will say that I only watch the theatrical cut, on the German edition DVD, featuring the "suicide ending"... the alternative endings are quite cheesy, imo, and fail to satisfy.

My favorite is *Rear Window*--I love how the subplots drive the main plot, e.g. the scene where Lisa climbs up Thorwald's balcony because she wants to show L.B. she can be tough and intrepid like he is; how L.B. is only spying on his neighbors in the first place because he's bored out of his mind stuck in his stupid wheelchair. It's so compact in space and time; and everything is essential, even the little comedic interlude where L.B.'s broken leg is itching in its cast and he's trying desperately to scratch it without success.

Other faves:

2. Rebecca

3. Rope (again, beautiful in its compactness and seamlessness)

4. The Lady Vanishes

5. Vertigo

6. Dial M for Murder

I also especially like *The Man Who Knew Too Much* (1956), and one that most people don't think of as being among their favorite Hitchcocks: *Torn Curtain* (1966). I didn't expect to like *Torn Curtain* at all, probably because the 60's is very far from being my favorite decade in movies, and I wasn't sure I saw the point of Julie Andrews except in musicals. How wrong I was.

My all time favorite "Hitchcock movie is "Rear Window"

2-Vertigo

3-North by Nortwest

4-39 Steps

5-Psycho

But I really love all his movies except for a couple of them.

1-The Man Who Knew Too Much:Jimmy Stewart/Doris Day

Love the combination of the those too awesome actors!

2-The Birds:Rod Taylor/Tippie Hendren/Jessica Tandy

Deliciously scary!

3-Rear Window:Jimmy Stewart/Grace Kelly

Can a person ever tire of Jimmy Stewart? And Grace Kelly is simply lovely!

It's no wonder Hitchcock loved her so.

4-Marnie:Sean Connery/Tippie Hendren

Where can I find a man like that, who will love me inspite of my neurotic

misgivings??? :-)

5-Vertigo:Jimmy Stewart

Love the peek into Hitchcock's pschye!

<<My favorite is *Rear Window*--I love how the subplots drive the main plot, e.g. >>

Rear Window has my favorite Hitchcock cameo. He's winding up a clock, just as the tension of the plot is getting a twist or two itself. Nice metaphor.

cameo.jpg

I'm embarrassed to say I never noticed Hitchcock there!!! Guess I was too busy watching and listening to the fella playing the piano.

Thanks for pointing that out! :)