GregoryPeckfan

Frank Sinatra - Favourite Male Singer of All Time

15 posts in this topic

People who have visited my profile page will have noticed that I am a Frank Sinatra fan.

My favourite female singer of all time is Judy Garland - there are several threads about her and her co-stars.

Frank Sinatra is my favourite male singer of all time.

He is best known for his beautiful singing of course, and his friendships with a group of people sometimes called The Rat Pack, but according to MacLaine were actually called The Clan once Bogart died.

I love his movies whether musicals or non-musicals.

He was fond of saying that Gene Kelly taught him to act as well as dance as he was always a singer with a microphone before Kelly.

Some of my favourite films of Sinatra's in no particular order except the first;

SOME CAME RUNNING

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

HIGH SOCIETY

ALL THREE MOVIES WITH GENE KELLY

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

THE TENDER TRAP

OCEAN'S ELEVEN

PAL JOEY

A HOLE IN THE HEAD

Unfortunately, Miracle of the Bells was not available in Canada

• Like 2

Sinatra is another performer whose work I am trying to see all of. I'm a bit further behind with his films though. I've seen 31 of the 58 films on the list. My favorites are:

The Manchurian Candidate One of my favorite films of the 1960's

From Here to Eternity

The Man with the Golden Arm

Suddenly

Ocean's 11

Anchors Aweigh

On the Town

• Like 1

Sinatra is another performer whose work I am trying to see all of. I'm a bit further behind with his films though. I've seen 31 of the 58 films on the list. My favorites are:

The Manchurian Candidate One of my favorite films of the 1960's

From Here to Eternity

The Man with the Golden Arm

Suddenly

Ocean's 11

Anchors Aweigh

On the Town

The Man with a Golden Arm was a one time viewing for me, although it is excellent.

I've got a handful of movies of his I haven't seen at least once.  That is, on my to-see list, not that I have recorded waiting for me.

THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION  was a film I could not finish.  I understand he had a similar view about the movie.

Edited by GregoryPeckfan

My favorite Frank Sinatra movies:

On the Town (my favorite one)

The Manchurian Candidate

Anchors Aweigh

He also has a brief singing cameo in Till the Clouds Roll By, which (if you like music) is a good film.

• Like 2

My favorite Frank Sinatra movies:

On the Town (my favorite one)

The Manchurian Candidate

Anchors Aweigh

He also has a brief singing cameo in Till the Clouds Roll By, which (if you like music) is a good film.

Thanks for giving your favourite Sinatra movies, Paul.

I've seen Sinatra's cameo in Till the Clouds Roll By.  I own the DVD.  I love Jerome Kern music.  Fascinating how he just missed dying on the Luisitania (however it is spelled) because he had to go back home to get his ticket and missed the sailing by 10 minutes.

I always have at least one Sinatra cd in my stereo at all times.

• Like 2

Many thanks to film lover who pointed out to me that I was on autopilot when I wrote about what Sinatra film I could not finish.  I meant The Pride and The Passion.  I must have been thinking of Lawrence Olivier movies because  I have been watching a lot of his movies lately.

• Like 1

My favorite Sinatra roles:

On the Town

From Here to Eternity

The Man With the Golden Arm

The Tender Trap

The Joker is Wild

Ocean's 11

Robin and the 7 Hoods

A Hole in the Head

I didn't care for The Pride and the Passion either, I thought it was boring.  

I really enjoyed seeing some of his concert appearances that aired on TCM--I especially enjoyed the one with Gene Kelly. 

I actually have the 4-disc "Ultimate Sinatra" Centennial collection in 4/6 CD slots in my car.  They cover his recording career from roughly 1939 to 1979.  I have the discs loaded in chronological order, it's interesting to hear how his voice progressed during this span. 

• Like 1

My favorite Sinatra roles:

On the Town

From Here to Eternity

The Man With the Golden Arm

The Tender Trap

The Joker is Wild

Ocean's 11

Robin and the 7 Hoods

A Hole in the Head

I didn't care for The Pride and the Passion either, I thought it was boring.  

I really enjoyed seeing some of his concert appearances that aired on TCM--I especially enjoyed the one with Gene Kelly. 

I actually have the 4-disc "Ultimate Sinatra" Centennial collection in 4/6 CD slots in my car.  They cover his recording career from roughly 1939 to 1979.  I have the discs loaded in chronological order, it's interesting to hear how his voice progressed during this span. 

Thanks for your list.

I have dozens of Sinatra cds and could fill my stereo with them.  I try not to keep any Sinatra cd in my stereo more than a month so that I actually listen to all of them.

I try to keep 5 different styles of music in my stereo at all times regardless of the artist so that I can listen to whatever fits my mood.

The Sinatra cd I have in my stereo now is The Rat Pack: At the Sands.

I loved seeing those television specials in December.  Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra showing what they could still do was fun.  I had seen that special before, but not recently.

• Like 1

Thanks for your list.

I have dozens of Sinatra cds and could fill my stereo with them.  I try not to keep any Sinatra cd in my stereo more than a month so that I actually listen to all of them.

I try to keep 5 different styles of music in my stereo at all times regardless of the artist so that I can listen to whatever fits my mood.

I loved seeing those television specials in December.  Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra showing what they could still do was fun.  I had seen that special before, but not recently.

I have multiple Sinatra albums as well.  I had multiples in my car because each CD would have 1 song on it that another CD didn't have so, if for example, I wanted to listen to "One For My Baby (and One More for the Road)" then I'd have to play this CD and if I wanted to listen to this other song, then I'd need this CD.  The 4 disc compilation at least has all these songs on it, so I don't need to flip between CDs, just between trays in my CD player.  I also have a 2 disc Fred Astaire cocktail hour collection, another 2 disc Judy Garland: Live at Carnegie Hall collection, and I think there's still a Christmas CD, "Christmas With the Rat Pack" or something like that.  I also have "The Ultimate Dolly Parton," and I may have something more contemporary, like Foo Fighters or something like that.  I typically plug in my iPod, it makes it easier to pinpoint exactly what I want to listen to without having to dink around with the CD player.

I also liked the Sinatra Christmas special with Bing Crosby.  

There was one I didn't like as much, Sinatra sang the same song twice in the special. 

• Like 1

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/92380-frank-sinatra-jr-1944-2016/

Many thanks to Barton Keyes for posting this sad news.  Sinatra Jr. had a big shadow to follow and I admire him for all that he has endured and how he continued to perform.

I saw him in a couple of his movies, and I saw him in several interviews.

Rest in peace Mr. Sinatra.

Prayers and thoughts to Nancy, Tina, and family.

Here is the original obituary article from Vanity about Frank Sinatra Jr.

He died of a heart attack on Wednesday at 72 years old.

Thanks for your list.

To Peck Fan, you truly hit "A BULLSEYE" HERE PAL!  *"THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD" is my personal runner-up all-around IDOL as well!

I've been in 3 fan-clubs td & his-(was based in Lakeland, FL & sadly, now closed?) was sooo marvelous I just couldn't keep up to all the JAZZ-(as he'd say) they sent   Saved it all of course

Also went to St. Petersburg Pier a few yrs ago & got an official *SINATRA BLACK FEDORA!-(only about $35.00)  it even has his patended signature inside. Prior to that I once owned a PANAMA FEDORA-(like Fred C. dobbs/"Raiders of the Lost Ark") & have a *"SPENCER TRACY type grey fedora-(TRIVIA: Next time you see "0n Golden Pond" *H. Fonda 1st arrives w/it  then quickly switches to that fishing cap. *Kate gave him *Tracy's fedora, he owned the entire time they were together-(26 years)

My pix for "Essential" *Sinatra cinema-(out of 58):-(limited to 4/5)>

"Some Came Running" (l958)-(also *Scorsese's fav. of his & rumored to be his own fav.)

*"From Here to Eternity" (l953)

"Manchurian Candidate" (l962)

"Man with the Golden arm" (l955)-(He always ranked this his finest work)

& "Suddenly" (l954)-(A role he was "robbed' of a Best actor nod. for)

But his own fav. of the 3 w/Gene was "Take Me 0ut to the Ball Game" (l949)

& Songs:  However he made over: 1,800 songs & over: 200 albums & in my opinion hit his peak atop "Capitol Records"-(I dub it "The House *Sinatra  Built")  You can't miss it while in Hollywood area, or on ariel shots

A No. 1 by any artist for me is his 1965/67 masterpiece>

"It Was A Very Good Year"-(along w/Nelson Riddle)

"In the Wee Small Hrs of the Morning"

"Summer Wind"

"0ne More for the Road"

& Album: "Only the Lonely"-(His now deceased son FS, Jr., always called this masterpiece of sadness-(known to be his post Ava yrs)

"A Suicide Album")

YOU GOTTA' GET THE 'BIBLE" ON HIM  "FRANK SINATRA: AN AMERICAN LEGEND" & THE DVD FROM HBO FILMS "ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL"     BOTH ARE MUST HAVES!!!

(P.S. I also own a couple other of his books-(Citadel Press used to published "Films of series..." but went under.) I was lucky enough to pick up his, *Tracy's, *Cagney's, *Bogart's, Hitchcock's, *Gable's & desperately wanted "Films of: Natalie Wood, but sadly as I said they stopped publishing these books!?)

& any individual can spend a night in his Palm springs pad, it's over $2 grand per night though!

He's got (3) "WOF-STARS" But, Gene Autry is the champ w/5?

I was also able to get a rare *FS "Bobble Head"-(sitting here on me desk)  I say very rare, because as owner of bobbleheads.com & other places say it outright, that Nancy Sinatra is so tight fisted w/all her dad's merchandise. That he never even heard of one being available?  I barely located this via some lil link 2yrs ago

13 Grammy awards & 3 total *Oscars-(the 3 songs he did that also won he personally didn't take home another statue for though)

His own #1 Idol was: *Bogey & his fav in music was: Tony Bennett

Also, do you own that tremendous "Dean Martin Roast" With *Sinatra" yet?

They make his harder to purchase for some reason & barely show clips of that one on tv?

Again, somehow yrs ago I got lucky with it-(vhs) & was able to buy just his

(P.S. also via that fan club I was lucky enough to get a poster-(had entire thing lamenated too!) "Together Again Tour" w/him, Dino & Sammy)

People who have visited my profile page will have noticed that I am a Frank Sinatra fan.

My favourite female singer of all time is Judy Garland - there are several threads about her and her co-stars.

Frank Sinatra is my favourite male singer of all time.

He is best known for his beautiful singing of course, and his friendships with a group of people sometimes called The Rat Pack, but according to MacLaine were actually called The Clan once Bogart died.

I love his movies whether musicals or non-musicals.

He was fond of saying that Gene Kelly taught him to act as well as dance as he was always a singer with a microphone before Kelly.

Some of my favourite films of Sinatra's in no particular order except the first;

SOME CAME RUNNING

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

HIGH SOCIETY

ALL THREE MOVIES WITH GENE KELLY

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

THE TENDER TRAP

OCEAN'S ELEVEN

PAL JOEY

A HOLE IN THE HEAD

Unfortunately, Miracle of the Bells was not available in Canada

What do you think of "Suddenly?"

You likely know this, but technically his grande finale for the silver-screen was the AWFUL 1984 "Cannonball Run 11"

What do you think of "Suddenly?"

You likely know this, but technically his grande finale for the silver-screen was the AWFUL 1984 "Cannonball Run 11"

He always said "whenever Judy sings, she's dies a little bit more"

Yes, I have seen Cannonball Run. Hate it.

Suddenly is a taut thriller that runs at a great clip speed. It is  this is the one which Sinatra had control over - not The Manchurian Candidate - that he got put away for a long time after Kennedy was shot.