Sign in to follow this  
NZ

WORST MUSICALS EVER

90 posts in this topic

>BTW has anyone seen Goulet lately in those TV commercials. He is looking quite weird.

Maybe it's the too black hair and the too smooth face.

My nomination for the two worse musicals ever filmed are: Mame, for obvious reasons, and Can-Can, because it was a feeble attempt to cash in on the popular Gigi. It is terrible to watch, tedious to hear and difficult to sustain even a modicum of interest. What a waste of talent (including Cole Porter, whose music never sounded or looked worse). Possibly the one reason for the decline of the musical on film.

I hadn't seen MAME since its original theatrical release. Just watched the recently released DVD of this film and I found this musical not to be as bad as when I first saw it, although Lucy tries she is hopelessly miscast. As for CAN CAN, this film also had miscasting problems. Shirley MacLaine comes off way too shrill. I hated her in this film. Sinatra is in fine voice but he and MacLaine simply are not French. Sinatra originally wanted Marilyn Monroe to play the female lead, but I am not sure if this musical would still have worked. They just had a lousy script. But far worse is the filmization of MAN OF LA MANCHA. This is the ugliest looking and dullest musical I ever saw.

NZ, have to disagree with you on some of your selections. There are some bad ones on your list, as well as 'B' musicals, but there are also some underrated ones that are better than average. THE GIRL MOST LIKELY was a remake of TOM, DICK AND HARRY. I rate this film to be one of better original musicals of the 1950s. The imaginative choreography was done by Gower Champion. Jane Powell is in fine voice. TOM SAWYER, another original musical with a very good score, good performances and I can't understand anyone not liking this film. LIL' ABNER, another filmization of a B'way musical. Lots of fun and another good score. The DVD is blessed with a beautiful Technicolor print. THE OPPOSITE SEX is a musical remake of THE WOMEN. Although it pales next to the original, this one is not bad at all and it has a great female cast. I have always had mixed feelings about SWEET CHARITY, but this musical in no way an be considered awful. It has some great choreography by Bob Fosse and a good performance by MacLaine. BEAU JAMES is not a musical, but has some musical numbers. Haven't seen this one in years, but I know Bob Hope gives one of his best performances in this autobiography of Mayor Jimmy Walker. Also, can't see how you rate I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS as the worst. This one has some wonderful songs, mostly sung by Doris Day. Although Danny Thomas comes off as somewhat abrasive, I find this autobiography to be diverting entertainment.

I saw one the other day with Van Johnson called The Pied Piper of Hamlin --in this for some reason Van Johnson plays two parts--the songs were awful FLIM FLAM FLEW- and a

terrible song about one of the missing children Have you Seen My Son John? sung by Kay Starr

In the credits it said something about Shirley Temples Storybook--whatever that means.

*In the credits it said something about Shirley Temples Storybook--whatever that means.* -- From 1958 to 1961, there was a TV show called "Shirley Temple's Storybook." She was the host of, and sometimes actress in, the show, which consisted of one hour (or was it half-hour?) adaptations of fairy tales. As a faithful viewer at the time, I remember "Beauty and the Beast", "Rapunzel" and some others. At the time, there was also a book entitled "Shirley Temple's Storybook" (as I recall) that collected many of the fairy tales. I have a copy and just searched the house for it, but couldn't find it -- I hope it's at my parents' home or that I gave it to my older daughter when she was a youngster or (most likely) that it's squirreled away here to be found when my survivors are gathering stuff for my estate sale.

The Pied Piper of Hamlin was one of the very first made-for-television films. It was not made for theatrical release. As such, it is very well done, imo. I recall it being a very big deal, along with Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, which I recall being broadcast the same year. We were the only family who had a color television set (which my father had won), and everytime something was broadcast in color (extremely rare), our house would be packed with family and neighbors. Both Pied Piper and Cinderella were in color. In the case of Cinderella, it was a live broadcast, where Pied Piper was on film.

"Lost Horizon" (1973) would be at the top of my list- buts its so deliriously bad in a real what-the-hell- where- they- thinking way . I really wish the uncut version of this thing would be out on DVD - with a sing along feature- " Answer Me A Question? "

Lost Horizon is best left to its soundtrack CD. While I think the score is completely inappropriate for the piece, I still think it's the best thing about it; and, the songs are good on their own. The story is just begging for a more traditional R&H or L&L-type score.

"Lost Horizon" (1973) would be at the top of my list- buts its so deliriously bad in a real what-the-hell- where- they- thinking way . I really wish the uncut version of this thing would be out on DVD - with a sing along feature- " Answer Me A Question? "

I'd actually kind of enjoy watching that, it would be a little like watching a big car wreck. :)

If you define worst as unwatchable that would have to be "At Long Last Love"- and those musicals which feature stars that can neither sing or dance.

Well, now that I think about it, I'd say that High School Musical and its sequel probably qualify as some of the worst musicals ever made, unless of course you happen to be under 16 years of age, in which case they are apparently masterpieces.

This is aimed at kids and it will probably create a lot of musical fans that might seek its origins in all those Mickey and Judy originals- I did catch a clever baseball theme production number from "HM2" which reminded me of "Danm Yankees"

Well, everybody knows it's aimed at kids - that's why it was made by the Disney channel. As to whether or not it could help young kids today become fans of old-school musicals from the 20th century, well, that would be my hope as well but I am not going to hold my breath.