Sign in to follow this  
GeneKellygal

Cyd Charisse

25 posts in this topic

Though there have been threads about her, I'd like to hear new or revised input on one of the greatest dancers in America...Cyd Charisse.

Being a dancer myself, I always screen "dance" type movies and study the dancers, moves, rythms, choreography, etc. I've admired Ms. Charisse since I was 14 at which time I wrote her a letter and was stunned and starstruck when I received a response. She really was one of the most adroit and graceful dancers I've ever seen. Did you know that style of dance that seems to be her "own" (where she never really stops moving) comes from her first husbancd, Nico Charisse's technique? Just a little trivia. God blessed her with the gift of dance and she certainly made the most of it. While, of course, Gene Kelly is my absolute favorite dancing partner for anyone, I'd say Cyd looked and danced better with Fred Astaire; she just seemed to tall and high brow for our blue collar Gene. Your input?

Oh, I dunno; I love her dances with Gene, too, though she does seem to take pains not to stand up too straight beside him!

I adore FA but I think Gene was a bit more intense in his love scenes with Cyd--I've always wished Fred had let go that way. Think of the kisses at the end of their dance duets in Brigadoon.

Cyd Charisse is simply gorgeous and such a talented dancer. A perfect blend of ballet and sultry.

I find Cyd Charisse to be one of the most talented and beautiful dancers I've ever seen. And personally I don't care to much for her dances with Fred Astaire, but her dances with Gene Kelly are my favorite dances of all time, that may just be because Gene and Cyd looked better together (besides the facts she was taller than him) and Fred Astaire isent a ballet dancer (I'm not saying Gene Kelly was completely a ballet dancer either, he has his own style of ballet) and I rather see Cyd do ballet than......whatever you would call the number in Silk Stockings (not saying its bad I still liked it, I'm just not sure how to classify it).

Cyd was just interviewed on TCM, I do not known how long ago that it was done, but it didn't seen was it was too long ago, and she looked fantastic.

This may sound funny coming from 'Grandma' but for her type of dance I would watch Cyd Charisse dance with a 'broomstick', she doesn't even need a partner, she's so graceful, and those long legs! ! ! ! ! ! !

:0

Anne

> This may sound funny coming from 'Grandma' but

> for her type of dance I would watch Cyd Charisse

> dance with a 'broomstick', she doesn't even need a

> partner, she's so graceful, and those long legs! ! !

> ! ! ! !

>

> :0

>

> Anne

Cyd's legs are out of this world !

The dance number she did with Gene Kelly in Singing In The rain was wow that dress she wore was amazing yes she is an extremely talented dancer I saw her in an interview as well and she looked great.

Just watched "It's Always Fair Weather" the other day and I really enjoyed the "Baby, You Knock Me Out" number. What makes it is that she looks so glamorous, and all the men around her look like they did walk into a boxing gym.

I've never really been able to get into "It's Always Fair Weather" and I've seen it several times. Perhaps it's because the tone is much darker than the average musical. And Cyd Charisse has only one number in this movie. I always feel cheated that she didn't have more. And as far as male partners, I'd have to go with Gene Kelly. The two of them really clicked. In "Brigadoon" they really made us believe that they were in love. I wonder if Tony Martin was ever jealous of the two of them. Anyway, here's another vote for the greatest movie dancer of all time.

Terrence.

My favorite Charisse movie is MEET ME IN LAS VEGAS. Charisse has several terrific dance numbers in this film including the sensational FRANKIE AND JOHNNY number narrated by Sammy Davis Jr. and THE GAL WITH THE YALLAR SHOES with co-star Dan Dailey (who was taller than Charisse) and a group of male dancers. Hope this one makes it to DVD. I am holding onto the laserdisc version of this film.

I remember that first time I saw Singin' in the Rain and how, being young and male, when that leg stopped Gene Kelly in his tracks in that Broadway Melody number, I must have been eyes a-popping. I only ever saw a pair of legs like hers one other time and that was a dancer in my home town. Wow.

Anyway, I did get a chance to see Charisse perform live about 30 years ago when she and her husband, Tony Martin, did an act together at a theater in Vancouver. I got a chance to get her autograph when she came out. Sure, she was older, but still a wow!.

Ms. Charisse remains a beauty to this day. And the shot you mention from Singin' in the Rain? It still has that affect on me after dozens of viewings. It's one of those iconic moments of movie musicals, and I wonder if they realized the full effect when they filmed it...

"Singin' In the Rain" was on tonight locally. When that shot came on even my wife said "Look how long those legs are!" I said "I am." This, too, after multiple viewings. Pretty racy for "1927."

dumdeedum.jpg

Would love to see a box set of Charisse films including MEET ME IN LAS VEGAS, UNFINISHED DANCE and PARTY GIRL. I doubt if this would happen but I would expect PARTY GIRL will make it to DVD soon since its a film noir.

I'd also love to see Meet Me in Las Vegas reissued on DVD.

And we could certainly use a re-mastered DVD of Black Tights, which also features Moira Shearer, because the one from Kino Video was obviously remastered from the worst source material they were able to find. :(

This was mentioned earlier in this thread, but the clip showing this month with Cyd Charisse talking about having to pull out of 'An American in Paris' because of being pregnant shows just how beautiful she still is, and her smile is just dazzling. I loved her and Dan Dailey in 'Meet Me in Las Vegas', but I am crazy about him anyway. I wonder if he was as nice as he comes across on screen. Except for the drunken fighter with Susan Hayward in, I think, 'I'll Cry Tomorrow', he's always played a nice guy. I loved him as Dizzy Dean, and Jughead (Jarhead?)in 'The Wings of Eagles'.

Anne

About thirty- five years ago Dan Dailey was in Chicago during a stage production of " The Odd Couple " and to plug the play he appeared on a local TV gabfest. I didn't care for his political rant, which I took as very hateful to liberals and Democrats. But then again I am biased, and I am not a Democrat. As a screen performer he is very appealing.

So I take it nobody here got to see Black Tights when it played in theaters? It must have been such a lovely experience... too bad the only DVD available has such a horrible picture quality... it looks like they used a print that had been rescued from the dumps! :(

Well, today's Cyd's birthday, and unfortunately they couldn't program any of her movies today, but we're still thinking of you, Cyd! :x :x