Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Most Alluring Credit Names

20 posts in this topic

I love to read the credits on a movie.

I have annoyed all my friends, dates and insignificant others over the years by not wanting to leave a theater unless I've seen all, and I mean ALL, the credits. This could take hours nowadays sadly.

Now in the olden days, from what one can see on films on TCM, one did not have to sit through eight million names from the Hairdresser for Lassie to the guy who brought cream puffs to the set, to get to the end of the credits. I liked it better that way and go ahead and call me anti-worker but if I had to read a contract of everyone who made the new sink I am having put in by my plumber before he could begin the work, and everyone along the line who touched the porcelain throne or made the screws and the innards and sealants, just to give equal time to all, I would have to end things in my life right now.

But I digress. Anyway what I do like to do is always read the credits before or after a movie, and I enjoy the big ones and the small ones, like when it says something like, Dog Double played by Spot Junior or Woman With Big Head played by Marion Morrison. But again I digress, since what this is really about is great names of people in the credits for things like art design or lighting or jewelry or whatever you like.

So one of my favorite names to see is, Van Nest Polglase. I usually look up every person's bio that is of interest to me, but I kind of do not want to ruin my image of Van Nest since I have this amazing idea of what he could be like. Kind of a Clifton Webb meets Cole Porter meets the Duke of Windsor type.

So what name always catches your eye if you are reading the credits, or what credit made you laugh the most when you saw it listed?

• Like 6

I always stay until the credits are finished.  For one thing, I am interested in the music credits and they are near the end.

• Like 2

I really don't know why I do it, and not that it makes me laugh at all, but for some reason while the credits are rolling on some older films, I find myself taking the time to spot which Westmore applied the makeup to the actors.

(...I know...weird huh)

• Like 3

I always stay until the credits are finished.  For one thing, I am interested in the music credits and they are near the end.

That's one reason I always stay until the end: the music credits.

• Like 2

Zelma Vas Dias, who played Signora Doppo in The Lady Vanishes (1938) is one of my favorites.

I'm also quite fond of Nellie Manley, hair stylist on many movies.

• Like 3

In "Too Many Girls," with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, there is someone credited as "Tiny Person." That always makes me laugh.

• Like 2

Airplane! deliberately inserted some jokes into the credits run:

Generally In Charge of a lot of Things - Mike Finnell

Author of Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

This Motion Picture Is Protected Under The Laws Of The United States And Other Countries.

Unauthorized Duplication, Distribution, Or Exhibition May Result In Civil Liability And Criminal Prosecution.

So there.

IMDB lists a few more that I vaguely remember from cinematic presentations, but which appear to have been stripped from domestic TV/DVD prints:

Worst Boy - Adolph Hitler

13th President of the United States - Millard Filmore

Foreez - A Jolly Good Fellow

Whilst not in the realms of moviedom, but assuredly works of fiction - episodes of the UK's Top Gear where they messed around with the end credits:

Botswana Special - Archbishop Desmond <crewmember's surname>

Finding the Source of the Nile special - Dr <crewmember's surname>, I Presume

• Like 3

So what name always catches your eye if you are reading the credits, or what credit made you laugh the most when you saw it listed?

Vickie Lester

There's also F. Hugh Herbert, who is not the character actor we all know and love, but a screenwriter.

• Like 2

It was once pointed out to me, that in THE WOMEN, there are the totally wrong.credits for D arkie No.1, D arkie No.2, etc. totaling 4.actresses. It must.ve been politically incorrect.even in 1939, but apparently not.

Edit. I guess the autocensor is pc.

• Like 1

It was once pointed out to me, that in THE WOMEN, there are the totally wrong.credits for D arkie No.1, D arkie No.2, etc. totaling 4.actresses. It must.ve been politically incorrect.even in 1939, but apparently not.

Edit. I guess the autocensor is pc.

I guess we won't be hearing Bing sing the lyrics to "Mississippi Mud" as background music on TCM anytime soon, Arturo.

Two of the odder credits I've seen:

From "Bluebeard" (1944)--"Music by Erdody"  (I Googled the name, and E. was a composer at PRC in the 1940's).

From "The Swarm" (1978), paraphrased:--"The African Killer Bee bears no relation to the industrious American Honey Bee, which provides us with honey....."

• Like 3

I love to read the credits on a movie.

I have annoyed all my friends, dates and insignificant others over the years by not wanting to leave a theater unless I've seen all, and I mean ALL, the credits. This could take hours nowadays sadly.

Now in the olden days, from what one can see on films on TCM, one did not have to sit through eight million names from the Hairdresser for Lassie to the guy who brought cream puffs to the set, to get to the end of the credits. I liked it better that way and go ahead and call me anti-worker but if I had to read a contract of everyone who made the new sink I am having put in by my plumber before he could begin the work, and everyone along the line who touched the porcelain throne or made the screws and the innards and sealants, just to give equal time to all, I would have to end things in my life right now.

But I digress. Anyway what I do like to do is always read the credits before or after a movie, and I enjoy the big ones and the small ones, like when it says something like, Dog Double played by Spot Junior or Woman With Big Head played by Marion Morrison. But again I digress, since what this is really about is great names of people in the credits for things like art design or lighting or jewelry or whatever you like.

So one of my favorite names to see is, Van Nest Polglase. I usually look up every person's bio that is of interest to me, but I kind of do not want to ruin my image of Van Nest since I have this amazing idea of what he could be like. Kind of a Clifton Webb meets Cole Porter meets the Duke of Windsor type.

I thought before I read your post that you meant, "credits" as in the titles of the job descriptions for the film crew. For instance, my favourites when it comes to that are "gaffer" and "best boy".

Maybe they don't use "best boy" anymore, too sexist?  "Gaffer" is a fun word. "Hey, don't talk to me like that, don't you know I'm the gaffer?"

As for credits, I have always treated them with respect. I too, always stay till the bitter end. Why is everyone in such a hurry to leave? What if the film had been 15 minutes longer ? If the credits are 15 minutes long (and yeah, that's long but typical these days), people have left after the first 30 seconds of them; yet if the movie itself  were 15 minutes longer, they'd still be there (does that make sense? do you know what I'm trying to say here?).

Sometimes I've asked the friend I've seen the film with why she wants to leave right away, but that can create a bit of tension, and if I'm out for a fun night with a pal I don't want her to think I'm being difficult. (As for my husband, he always says he wants to leave when everyone else does so we don't get left behind with the "thugs" - whatever that means.)

Anyway,I like to stay and soak in the feeling of the movie I've just seen, and sitting quietly and still while the credits roll is a perfect way to do that. If I've been at all affected by the film, I like a little time before I walk out and face harsh reality again.

• Like 4

When looking at the construction credits for movies that needed stuff built look for the name 'B.P. Hammerson'.   :)

There is a screen credit name I've often wondered if it were real.  Script supervisor H. BUD OTTO.  I have seen that name in the credits for a number of movies. 

I've seen an obscure 1974 movie starring Ellen Geer (daughter of Will) called 'MEMORY OF US'.  The director is someone named 'H. KAYE DYAL'.  I've no idea if that is the director's real name -or- if this person is a man or a woman.  But 'H. KAYE DYAL' has several different credits in writing, directing and producing.  And no birthdate listed on the IMDb.     

• Like 2

Not obscure jobs, or odd names, but 2 people I always notice when watching credits are Muir Mathieson and Barbara Harris. They show up so often that I started really noticing that their names are on film after film. 

Muir Mathieson, who worked in the music department, has 536 credits on imdb.

Barbara Harris, who works in post-production sound, namely ADR voice casting, has an incredible 966 credits on imdb!

• Like 1

MissW;

Yes, Best Boy - sounds kind of like a reference in today's world to a faithful dog:

Who's the Best Boy, sweetheart?  Who's the Best Boy?  You are!

• Like 2

Oh, yes, Cave Girl can you imagine a TCM spotlight on Mr. Smithee?

I wonder if Sister Rose would be available to host......