mr6666

SCOTUS battles

457 posts in this topic

I know, I know.....why have ANY traffic laws or safety regulations, since there will ALWAYS be those who won't follow them  :blink:

Honestly, I just don't GET the gun-loving paranoids in this country? !

• Like 1

I know, I know.....why have ANY traffic laws or safety regulations, since there will ALWAYS be those who won't follow them  :blink:

Honestly, I just don't GET the gun-loving paranoids in this country? !

I'm sure many folks don't GET gay people.    Isn't relevant.    People have certain rights and those rights should be respected.

oh come on, Bogie46.

weakening the 2nd amendment would save no one because criminals do not obey the law.

that's why they're criminals. :)

It's making them readily available to fruitcakes just for the sake of profits and the sanctity of 'right's' that is just plain wrong.  And what's with mother's giving military style weapons to their teenage sons?

World statistics are against you.  Just look at Australia's new gun laws - a dramatic drop in gun crime.  

You have blood on your hands with this stupid argument.

Yeah, wouldn't want a drop in weapons profiteering just to save the lives of a few school kids.  

You really believe in God?

There is no evidence that the gun control laws being debated would save the lives of school kids.

Many more lives of school kids, or people of all ages would be achieved by lowering the speed limit to 55 and requiring people wear helmets while driving.   

I don't own a gun and never will but since there are already millions upon millions of guns in circulation, gun control isn't going to reduce the incidence of gun violence in any meaningful way.     Nothing short of confiscation will,  and that just isn't going to happen until the creation of controlled city\states where access is very control like going into an airport (which I believe will occur but not in our lifetime).

There is no evidence that the gun control laws being debated would save the lives of school kids.

James, I think this debate is hopeless no matter which way we lean.  There is just too much money at stake.  But this bears repeating - Just look at Australia's new gun laws - a dramatic drop in gun crime.  Statistics in States with tougher gun control bear this out as well.  Though it is hard to confirm as congress will not even fund gun control studies.

• Like 1

James, I think this debate is hopeless no matter which way we lean.  There is just too much money at stake.  But this bears repeating - Just look at Australia's new gun laws - a dramatic drop in gun crime.  Statistics in States with tougher gun control bear this out as well.  Though it is hard to confirm as congress will not even fund gun control studies.

Yes,  I'm aware of Australia's new gun laws but that country doesn't have close to the number of guns in circulation that the USA has.   AND if such a new was even proposed in the USA guns sales would increase 10 fold.    Every time a DC politicians even hints at gun control laws sales spike (just like they did BIG TIME when Obama was elected and re-elected).

Even liberal SC members wouldn't support a law that forced citizens to turn over existing guns.   

"Fox News (Chris Wallace) turned on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and called out the hypocrisy of McConnell’s obstruction of President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee.

"The Republican Party is a complete mess and on the verge of burning itself to the ground. Fox News is pushing McConnell to change his obstructionist position because they believe that he is about to hand the Senate back to the Democrats on a silver platter."

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/03/20/fox-news-stabs-mitch-mcconnell-gop-destroys-scotus-nominee.html

:)

• Like 1

The Republican Party is a complete mess and on the verge of burning itself to the ground. Fox News is pushing McConnell to change his obstructionist position because they believe that he is about to hand the Senate back to the Democrats on a silver platter.

Mitch McConnell has been a disaster as Senate Majority Leader, and even Fox News is rebelling against his obstructionist path to Republican defeat in November. What is unfolding before the eyes of the nation is nothing less than the complete self-destruction of the Republican Party.

Well, we can hope anyway.

McConnell has stated that he will not allow Senate to consider SCOTUS nomination until after next President takes office, even if that President is Hillary Clinton.

McConnell has stated that he will not allow Senate to consider SCOTUS nomination until after next President takes office, even if that President is Hillary Clinton.

Yes, on CNN he cited the reason as the NRA are against his appointment.  Well if anyone had any doubts about who is paying who to vote how they wish there you are.  That's democracy?

• Like 2

Yes, on CNN he cited the reason as the NRA are against his appointment.  Well if anyone had any doubts about who is paying who to vote how they wish there you are.  That's democracy?

YES,  that is democracy.    Gun loving folks get out and vote and they elected pro-gun politicians.   Yes,  that is democracy.

Note that the NRA gives every politician running for office a SCORE.   This score could be used by those calling for gun reform,  just like it is used by the NRA.        e.g.  HEY,   for-gun-reform voter,  vote for Joe Pol, because his NRA score says he isn't pro-gun.

All major political issues have their lobbying groups.    Pro-gun-reform folks are just upset that they don't know how to organize and are mostly ineffective while the NRA isn't.      The answer isn't to be mad at the NRA,  but to grow up and get organized.

e.g. MADD was very successful.    NOW has had many successes.      

Corporations and billionaires pouring money into politics and buying the politicians isn't a democracy.  It is an oligarchy.

• Like 1

Corporations and billionaires pouring money into politics and buying the politicians isn't a democracy.  It is an oligarchy.

Hey, I'm fine with limiting the money a group (PAC) or individual can spend on a politician but that wouldn't impact the NRA much.    i.e. the NRA would still be flush with cash based on private donations, and fees and they could still run ads that were general in nature (e.g. touting their scoring system),  as long as they didn't advocate for specific politicians.   That type of speech is protected by the First Amendment (which is how it should be).

A lot of the NRA's money comes from the gun / ammo manufacturing  industry itself. The NRA actually likes it when people get elected who they've  labeled  as "anti gun, out to take away your 2nd amendment rights".  When that happens, gun / ammo sales soar.  That is what sustains the industry.

• Like 1

A lot of the NRA's money comes from the gun / ammo manufacturing  industry itself. The NRA actually likes it when people get elected who they've  labeled  as "anti gun, out to take away your 2nd amendment rights".  When that happens, gun / ammo sales soar.  That is what sustains the industry.

Clearly the NRA is able to dupe a majority of their members using fear as a way to assist the gun / ammo industry.   e.g. after one of the latest mass shooting a reporter was out asking questions to folks lined up outside a gun store waiting for it to open.   The reporter asked a few of them 'why are you waiting for the store to open?'.    The basis answer was 'because I need to get guns and ammo before I can't'. 

What a racket!

• Like 1

Especially when its them who is really writing the laws, the regulations, and the lack thereof.

Clearly the NRA is able to dupe a majority of their members using fear as a way to assist the gun / ammo industry.   e.g. after one of the latest mass shooting a reporter was out asking questions to folks lined up outside a gun store waiting for it to open.   The reporter asked a few of them 'why are you waiting for the store to open?'.    The basis answer was 'because I need to get guns and ammo before I can't'. 

What a racket!

The "gun worshipers" run out to buy more guns and ammo minutes after the latest mass shooting takes place. They need more firepower for their own twisted sense of security and they anticipate that the "anti gun" crowd will once again push for some kind of law or regulation.  So even though they already have enough personal stock of weapons and ammo to arm an infantry division they need  more , and they need more, etc. It's a never ending cycle.  Its really rather sad, these people are actually sick. Their obsession ruins their lives and by making it so easy for the wrong people to get a gun (not to mention the high powered military kind of weaponry)  they make it less safe for all of us.  

• Like 2

The "gun worshipers" run out to buy more guns and ammo minutes after the latest mass shooting takes place. They need more firepower for their own twisted sense of security and they anticipate that the "anti gun" crowd will once again push for some kind of law or regulation.  So even though they already have enough personal stock of weapons and ammo to arm an infantry division they need  more , and they need more, etc. It's a never ending cycle.  Its really rather sad, these people are actually sick. Their obsession ruins their lives and by making it so easy for the wrong people to get a gun (not to mention the high powered military kind of weaponry)  they make it less safe for all of us.  

So, presumably they are of the notion that if a law is passed that requires them to give up their guns, they'll fight the officers that come to take those guns from them with those very guns they've just purchased.

In other words, they'd rather not be alive at all if it means being alive without owning a gun.

Most people in this world do so every day of their lives. But these particular Americans are much too cowardly to face life the same way most people do. Without a gun, they might have to experience hurt feelings or something with no way of getting "even".

CNN reported this morning that 57% of Americans think they should proceed with Obama's choice for SCOTUS.  Once again, the Republicans are on the wrong side of what most Americans want.  But do they care?  Quite an arrogant attitude.

I will laugh if Hillary wins, the Dems win back the Senate and she nominates someone far to the left of Garland. The Republicans will wish they had given Garland a fair shake. There wouldn't be any problem with them confirming a nomination from a Republican president in his final year in office. 

• Like 1

So, presumably they are of the notion that if a law is passed that requires them to give up their guns, they'll fight the officers that come to take those guns from them with those very guns they've just purchased.

In other words, they'd rather not be alive at all if it means being alive without owning a gun.

Most people in this world do so every day of their lives. But these particular Americans are much too cowardly to face life the same way most people do. Without a gun, they might have to experience hurt feelings or something with no way of getting "even".

First of all there is virtually no way that any law would  ever be passed that would try to "take away guns", nor should there be. Its about the ease of obtaining guns in unreasonable quantities and the possession of things like military type assault weapons, extended magazine clips, armor piercing ammo (often called cop killer, that can penetrate protective vests).  No rational reasonable person needs this stuff for legitimate home defense, target shooting, hunting, etc.  Most American people who own guns are good citizens who are rational and responsible . But they allow the radical elements like the NRA leadership to lead them by the nose when it comes to policy making and voting.  I know people who wouldn't know when to relieve themselves if the NRA didn't tell them to.

• Like 1

First of all there is virtually no way that any law would  ever be passed that would try to "take away guns", nor should there be. Its about the ease of obtaining guns in unreasonable quantities and the possession of things like military type assault weapons, extended magazine clips, armor piercing ammo (often called cop killer, that can penetrate protective vests).  No rational reasonable person needs this stuff for legitimate home defense, target shooting, hunting, etc.  Most American people who own guns are good citizens who are rational and responsible . But they allow the radical elements like the NRA leadership to lead them by the nose when it comes to policy making and voting.  I know people who wouldn't know when to relieve themselves if the NRA didn't tell them to.

I don't think any of the reforms you mention would have much of an impact, if any,  on gun violence in America.  There are already so many guns in circulation (including so called assault weapons) that preventing future sales of such isn't going to make a difference. 

Also,  in Los Angeles they did pass a law that limits magazine clips (I believe to 10 bullets) including existing ones.  i.e. one has to turn these over to the city or they are breaking the law.    So that is an example of a law that is, in some form, taking a gun away.    The law is being challenged in court and I believe the court will rule this law unconstitutional.   i.e. they can ban future sales of extended clips but can't ban those already purchased,  especially without compensation.