Sign in to follow this  
CaNaDaGiRl14

Favorite Gene Kelly Movies

72 posts in this topic

Hey guys! Well, I LOVE Gene Kelly and I have so many favorites... but here is Just a few

1. Singing in the Rain

2. An american in Paris

3. Anchors Away

Gene Kelly is so familiar and well-liked, and yet there are many movies of his that I know little about. Sure, I love Singin' in the Rain and An American in Paris, but I'd be interested to see Living in a Big Way, Deep in My Heart and Christmas Holiday with Deanna Durbin. These are pictures I've never had the opportunity to see.

I think I must be the last person who hasn't seen Thousands Cheer. But I've always enjoyed The Pirate and On the Town...

"Anchors Aweigh" must have been pretty good if I could put up with Sinatra. I loved the "Mexican Hat Dance" with tiny Sharon McManus. I also loved "An American in Paris" with Leslie Caron. And Jack, get ready to hear "I Dug a Ditch" a few times during "Thousands Cheer"!

There are so many wonderful musicals to choose from. I love "Anchors Aweigh" (for which he received his only Oscar nomination) and "On the Town." As far as favorite numbers, I'd have to go with his "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" from "Words and Music." This number with Vera-Ellen is one of the greatest I've ever seen. And, of course, everyone loves "Singing in the Rain."

Terrence.

I think my favorite number would be the "Gotta Dance" ballet, especially the portions with Cyd Charisse.

I know a lot of people are charmed by his dance with Jerry, but after one or two viewings I don't need to see it again (nor his other foray into mixed-animated dancing in An Invitation to Dance).

For solo dance, I think I'd choose his soft shoe with the newspaper in Summer Stock. And for collaborations, I'm always thrilled to see him dance with my favorite Nicholas Brothers in The Pirate.

Query: In That's Entertainment they show a scene wherein Gene Kelly does acrobatics at a construction site. Kids are watching and cheering as Mr. Kelly dances atop a skeletal building frame. Does anyone know what movie this comes from? It's in black and white...

Definitely Cover Girl. Not only do Kelly and Rita Hayworth look amazing together, but they have excellent chemistry. It also features one of my very favorite songs of all time, Long Ago and Far Away.

Does anyone else loose their reply when they hit 'preview'? This is twice now. Well, hold on to your tap shoes, cuz here is the voice of doom. Whenever I hear Gene Kelly sing, I keep clearing my throat wishing he would do the same. Most of the time he is too energetic, his facial expressions detract from the dancing, (check the alley scene with Dan Dailey with the garbage can lids, I don't remember which movie, 3 guys reunite 10 years after the war). For acrobatic tap I preferred Donald O'Connor, remembering 'No Business Like Show Business'. I always felt Kelly had no use for his partners. Astaire tried to showcase his partners, whereas Kelly tried to hide them, (dancing in front of them or having them at the far side of the stage). The only one I think he 'clicked' with was Cyd in Brigadoon. And...he was too old for Debbie in Singing in...I'm not comparing Kelly and Astaire, they had entirely different styles. O'Connor and Kelly were similar, but I think everyone was so excited by Kelly that O'Connor was overlooked.

"...Kelly and Rita Hayworth look amazing together, [and] they have excellent chemistry. It also features one of my very favorite songs of all time, 'Long Ago and Far Away'."

You're so right, Slums. They make a gorgeous couple in Cover Girl, and it doesn't get much better than Jerome Kern's "Long Ago and Far Away". I'll have that melody playing through my head today, thanks to you. :)

"Does anyone else loose their reply when they hit 'preview'?"

Sometimes this site "times out" when we take a long amount of time to type our posts. Could that be the case? When I'm taking a longer-than-usual amount of time in a response, I always make sure to copy the text first (as a backup). It's frustrating to articulate your thoughts and then lose them! You might want to mention this in the "General Information" Forum. The TCM Web Administrator reads those and advises...

"Most of the time he is too energetic, his facial expressions detract from the dancing, (check the alley scene with Dan Dailey with the garbage can lids, I don't remember which movie, 3 guys reunite 10 years after the war)."

This movie is It's Always Fair Weather, a not very successful CinemaScope musical with Mr. Kelly, Mr. Dailey and the great Michael Kidd as the three reunited war buddies. When I watch this movie, it's for Dolores Gray.

Jack, that' s from It's a Big Country (1951). Great little film. I understand it made Mayer (or Schary) very nervous when Gene did stunts like that, but it's so impressive!

"Jack, that' s from It's a Big Country (1951). Great little film. "

Another on my list of unseen Gene Kelly movies. For someone who's so extraordinarily popular, it's odd so many of his movies aren't shown. I'll depend on TCM to remedy this for me. In fact, I'll go to the Suggest a Movie window now...

Thanks Ayres!

How can you not like Gene Kelly? I love Astaire, but I'd take Kelly anyday. I guess my favorites would be On The Town (Though I also watch that for the supporting cast), Singin' In The Rain (Though Jean Hagen was always my favorite in that) and anything he ever did with Judy Garland (They're chemistry is really good and I was always a HUGE Judy fan).

Anything that Gene Kelly does is GOLDEN

he's so sexy and so gorgeous that i dont understand how when u watch his movies u c the other cast members

when he comes on the screen hes the only one im lookin at

to pick a favorite is rele hard but id have to say The Pirate because he looks SSSSSSOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUMMY WOW and OMG he looks so good in the pirate ballet when hes wearin the shorts

n the comedy in the movie is great i can watch it a billion times(and have) n i still laugh at the same things and different things that i didnt c b4

o and the slaughter on 10th ave in Words and Music dance is good to

and jus to finish off

GENE KELLY IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY AND IM SURPRISED HE NEVER BURNED THE FILM ON THE SET CAUSE HES HOT!! --Sexiest man ever and his movies r awesome 2

Message was edited by:

nygirl1089

Jack, I realized while reading a book on Kelly tonight that I told you wrong. The hanging-from-the-rafters dance was from Living in a Big Way, not from It's a Big Country. Sorry to steer you wrong, there!

Thanks for the erratum, Ayres! I thought it came from something that was pre-American In Paris. I'm impressed that you remembered about the post! 'Twas good of you to update us.

This further proves the point that there are so many Gene Kelly movies out there that are not played. I love The Pirate, Singin' in the Rain, the aforementioned An American In Paris, Summer Stock, Cover Girl, For Me and My Gal, but it's only been this last year that I've seen Take Me Out to the Ballgame and I've never had the opportunity to see:

Seagulls Over Sorrento

The Devil Makes Three

It's a Big Country

Living in a Big Way

The Cross of Lorraine

Thousands Cheer

Du Barry Was a Lady

Pilot #5

That's a lot of Kelly for me to be missing. Now I'm wishing Mr. Kelley were one of the featured players for this month's Summer Under the Stars!

Thanks again!

Gene Kelly contributed so much to films in general not just musicals n they never honor him-not even on his birthday-- AUGUST 23-- which is always the first date i check for summer under the stars-- well the have brigadoon playin but thats cause its a Van Johnson day

i say they should show more of his rarer movies -- at least on his birthday

October will be our month, nygirl! Here is the list of upcoming Gene Kelly movies:

Brigadoon - August 23

Words and Music - August 24

An American In Paris - September 4

On the Town - October 3

Anchors Aweigh - October 4

Thousands Cheer - October 4

Pilot 5 - October 4

The Three Musketeers - October 16

Yeah, every time the August schedule is up the first place I look is the 23! My favorite movie of all time is For Me and My Gal, but when choosing my favorite Kelly film that wouldnt ever be near first because the only solo dance he does in that film is probably the worst Kelly number in history (keyword "Kelly" number because I still like it but not as a Gene Kelly dance) My favorite movie is probably Cover Girl, only I wish he did a solo tap routine. My favorite Kelly dance is definitely the "Broadway Melody" number from Singin' in the Rain but "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" runs a close 2nd ( and the only thing that allows me to make a decision is because of his partners. I love Cyd Charisse but I CANT STAND Very Ellen. She a great dancer but a terrible actress.) I love Gene Kelly hews my favorite actor and I think TCM should show his movies more often (besides Singin' in the Rain, An American in Paris, and On the Town since you can find those anywhere) especially his wartime, nonmusical's. He contributed so much to film and was experience in almost every field of film making.

Also, I suggest to anyone to read a biography on him since his life was very every field (personality conflicts, relationships, contribution to film). I've read two and am looking for a 3rd.

AND THANK YOU TCM FOR SHOWING "THE THREE MUSKETEERS"!!!! lol

I just watched "It's Always Fair Weather" and really enjoyed it. It's a shame it is so little known.

The documentary on the DVD was pretty down on Kelly and his actions during the making of this film. However, when you watch the movie and see him dance on roller skates, all that melts away and you just marvel at what Gene Kelly could do.

Bellanosey, you made some very good points in your comments about Gene Kelly and his movies. But let's not be too harsh when it comes to Vera-Ellen (or Very Ellen, as you called her). True, she was never nominated for an Oscar, but when people went to her movies, they expected to see a beautiful woman in some great dance numbers. And that's exactly what they got--whether it was with Danny Kaye, Fred Astaire, or Mr. Kelly as her partner. And I've always felt that her 'Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" from "Words and Music" is one of the greatest ballets on film. So, if we want to see some spectacular acting, let's watch Ingrid Bergman or Meryl Streep. If it's an entertaining musical, Vera-Ellen will never let us down.

Terrence.

I like this one a lot, too, though I acknowledge that it's a bit of an oddity. Gene and Cyd don't dance together (and even in their number that was cut--available as a DVD extra--they don't have a romantic dance together), and there's this undercurrent of darkness through it. But I think the darkness makes it an interesting movie. I introduced it at the AFI Theatre recently, and it was really something on the big screen.

And, MAN that roller-skating dance is just breathtaking!

Terrence, I understand about her not having to be a wonderful actress, and to look at it as a musical. But I'm not expecting picture, perfect acting. But I still love Cyd Charisse, Rita Hayworth, Eleanor Powell, and Ann Miller and they weren't picture perfect actresses (well I guess Rita Hayworth was a great actress but I've never seen her in a dramatic part). I just think they should be able to act a little bit. A Vera-Ellen just bugs me for some reason.

(sorry for all my typos in that last post, I was in a hurry and didnt spell check lol)

My family watched "On the Town" this weekend. My wife and son, who don't usually like musicals, liked this one.

I love the opening, when the three sailors burst off the ship and they have such energy. I also like Kelly and Vera Ellen dancing to "On Main Street." The ballet is terrific as well.

The ending is interesting in that the couples have to part and there is no guarantee that they will reunite. But then we see three new sailors bursting off the ship, giving things a "life goes on" feel.

"This further proves the point that there are so many Gene Kelly movies out there that are not played. I love 'The Pirate', 'Singin' in the Rain', the aforementioned 'An American In Paris', 'Summer Stock', 'Cover Girl', 'For Me and My Gal', but it's only been this last year that I've seen 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' and I've never had the opportunity to see:

Seagulls Over Sorrento

The Devil Makes Three

It's a Big Country

Living in a Big Way

The Cross of Lorraine

Thousands Cheer

Du Barry Was a Lady

Pilot #5

Since December 2006 is Stanley Donan's month on TCM, we've been seeing lots of Gene Kelly lately. I finally was able to check Living in a Big Way off my Gene Kelly To Do List during the wee hours last night. [Thanks TCM!] TCM also played It's a Big County, but I just couldn't pull an all-nighter. Still looking forward to the remainder of the list.

The Devil Makes Three will be aired in the wee hours of December 23, 2006 and It's a Big Country will be repeated (again in the wee hours) on December 29, 2006.

You're so right, Terrence! I adore Vera-Ellen. One of the greatest dancers to ever hit Hollywood. And gorgeous, too. I'll watch her in anything!