Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

VICTOR VICTORIA (1982)

4 posts in this topic

How come we haven't discussed VICTOR VICTORIA yet? Or any of its earlier versions like VIKTOR UND VIKTORIA and FIRST A GIRL...?

When I was in film school in the mid-90s, one of our professors (who was openly gay and an ardent admirer of Blake Edwards) complained incessantly about GANDHI being named best picture of 1982. He felt VICTOR VICTORIA was the top motion picture that year (it wasn't even nominated for best picture). He claimed it didn't get the awards it deserved because at the time the Academy was still too homophobic.

Thoughts..?

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-03-18%2Bat%2B7.43.1

• Like 1

Your professor might be right- has anyone tried watching "Ghandhi" I barely stayed awake the first time... Blake Edwards "Victor Victoria" is a classic musical comedy

• Like 2

Your professor might be right- has anyone tried watching "Ghandhi" I barely stayed awake the first time... Blake Edwards "Victor Victoria" is a classic musical comedy

Yes, I think VICTOR VICTORIA holds up better. It's overlong in spots but not as endless as GANDHI. I thought for sure both competed in the best picture category. I'm very surprised VICTOR VICTORIA wasn't at least nominated. 

• Like 1

The films subject matter might have turned off the still conservative Academy Awards members it lost Art Direction and Costumes to

"Ghandi"?!   "Le Jazz Hot" wasn't even nominated for best song. 

• Like 1