Sign in to follow this  
Paulll

[Poll] Your favorite decade for films??

What is your favorite decade for films?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite decade for films?!?

• 1890s
    • 1900s
    • 1910s
    • 1920s
    • 1930s
    • 1940s
    • 1950s
    • 1960s
    • 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s
    • 2010s
    • None/I don't like films
    • I like every decade just about equally

35 posts in this topic

[Poll] What is your favorite decade(s) for films?!

You can discuss in the forum why you chose what. Use pictures, videos, quotes! Let's have fun with this!! :)

• Like 2

I think if you vote for multiple decades, the point gets kind of lost, Paul. Maybe just pick one.

That's what I was originally thinking. I then started thinking how each decade had some of my favorites. Lol

Nevertheless, it's updated.

• Like 1

I had to choose between 1930s and the 1940s.  I chose the 1940s.

I love these decades more than other decades.

Both decades have great comedies, drama, and film noir.

But in the end I chose 1940s because that is the decade that saw the introduction of Gregory Peck.

• Like 2

I voted for the 1950s because:

Mineo-Wood-and-Dean-in-Rbel.jpg

6905_5.jpg

NNWduster.jpg

90698-004-49567146.jpg

tencommandments-07.jpg

tumblr_m7emgnu1oa1qfg786o1_500.jpg

summer-stock-1950-3.jpg

610_kelly_intro.jpg

gentlemen-prefer-blondes.jpg

06.jpg

Just to name a few!! ;)

The 1930s and 1960s were close behind (for me).

You guys have good choices for the '40s too. The 80s/90s were good as well as the 70s... I can't make up my mind haha!

Edited by Paul1992
  • Like 3

For me, it's the 40's, because:

His Girl Friday (1940)

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Laura (1944)

Leave Her to Heaven (1945)

Anchors Aweigh (1945)

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Rebecca (1940)

Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

Double Indemnity (1944)

Mildred Pierce (1945)

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)

Gilda (1946)

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

The Little Foxes (1941)

Lifeboat (1944)

On the Town (1949)

And Then There Were None (1945)

The 50s was a close second because of Singin' in the Rain, White Xmas, Streetcar Named Desire ;)

• Like 5

For me, it's the 40's, because:

His Girl Friday (1940)

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Laura (1944)

Leave Her to Heaven (1945)

Anchors Aweigh (1945)

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Rebecca (1940)

Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

Double Indemnity (1944)

Mildred Pierce (1945)

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)

Gilda (1946)

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

The Little Foxes (1941)

Lifeboat (1944)

On the Town (1949)

And Then There Were None (1945)

The 50s was a close second because of Singin' in the Rain, White Xmas, Streetcar Named Desire ;)

Yea,  if one likes noir films (which I do) the 40s and early 50s are it,  but the comedies are lacking.   

So I can't pick one decade;  For me it is the 30s for comedies and the 40s for noir.   

I just can't live without Nick and Nora!

• Like 1

In looking how the poll stands now with only 6 votes, the 40s and the 70s both have two, and are the only with two.

I had to laugh when I saw this, because when it comes to a decade where I have seen virtually no movies that are famous except maybe 10 of them and the likelihood of me being able to see them when they are in such poor print quality that if the poll were about which  20th century decade of films could you easily live happily without watching them for me it is the 1970s.

• Like 1

For me, the 1930s -- the magical, primal age. It carries over to the early 40s, but for the purposes of this thread, I won't do that.

draculas-daughter-eyes.jpg

thelightthatfailed.jpg

1.jpgFilm_56_39Steps_original.jpgbringing-up-baby.jpg

olddarkhouse03.jpg

roaringtwenties2.jpg

96661c3ed6e4004ad3cb8e76913f7352.jpg

• Like 4

The 1940s -- hands down!

I'm not so sure.   Too many war movies and associated propaganda films during the last half of the decade.    I would be interested in a list of favorite comedies of the 40s so I could compare said list to one from the 30s.

The 40s did have much higher production values then 30s films.   In the 30s they made way too many cheap,  same old plot,  programmers and while I enjoy many of these (e.g. Cagney films done in the WB style),  I can't say they are great films like many of the higher quality 40s films.

A favorite few years of film are 1939 - 1941 because production values improved but since the USA wasn't at war there wasn't so many WWII centric films.  

Yea,  I clearly can't make up my mind.   :blink:

• Like 1

I'm not so sure.   Too many war movies and associated propaganda films during the last half of the decade.    I would be interested in a list of a favorite comedies of the 40s so I could compare said list to one from the 30s.

Jamesjazzguitar, Paul1992 only asked us to give our personal favorite decade for films.  We weren't asked to decide what the best decade was for movies in general. 

Anyway, here's a list of 1940s comedies for you to peruse. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comedy_films_of_the_1940s

• Like 2

Yea,  if one likes noir films (which I do) the 40s and early 50s are it,  but the comedies are lacking.   

So I can't pick one decade;  For me it is the 30s for comedies and the 40s for noir.   

I just can't live without Nick and Nora!

I totally agree with you, jamesjazz, about the comedies kind of lacking. The 30's was a great decade for slapstick/sophisticated comedies (i.e. The Women, Bringing up Baby), although I do really like His Girl Friday (1940). I love the 40s for film noir (as seen on my previous answer), and the 50s for MGM Technicolor movie musicals.

• Like 2

I totally agree with you, jamesjazz, about the comedies kind of lacking. The 30's was a great decade for slapstick/sophisticated comedies (i.e. The Women, Bringing up Baby), although I do really like His Girl Friday (1940). I love the 40s for film noir (as seen on my previous answer), and the 50s for MGM Technicolor movie musicals.

To me films like His Girl Friday and The Lady Eve (early 40s Preston Sturges films in general),  are really 30s type films as it relates to their comedic style.      I highly recommend Lunatics and Lovers by Ted Sennett.    It covers the 30s comedy era as well as the early 40s.   But it ends in the early 40s since clearly the war took some of the life out of comedy,  with most later efforts missing that lightness so apparent in 30s films.    The exception being a chapter on Sturges and how his films were crossover type films. 

Yea,  Jean Arthur made some great early 40s comedies and Grant had a few but to me the screwball comic era had mostly ended  (just like noir films kind of ran their course by the mid-50s).

Hey, great topic.   Like I said I'm just too middle of the road to pick one decade.   e.g. If I just happened to see Laura I would say '40s for sure' but after seeing Easy Living,  well,   I would say '30s for sure'! 

• Like 2

30s:

Women.Trio.png

Bringing-Up-Baby.jpg

the-thin-man-1024.jpg

Some examples of 1930s comedies that I love

40s film noir:

laura-move.gif

a_maltai_solyom.jpg

50s movie musicals:

gene-kelly-2.gif?w=263&h=172

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15437-1386606270-47

tumblr_n70a713aUd1sr7xmio1_500.gif

As I said before, I am also one who can't come up with just one decade... I think I chose the 40s in the poll because that's the decade in which I've seen the most films.

• Like 2

Looking at your examples, they're all simply marvelous. I think this was a great idea.

I picked the 1930s because that's how I got hooked!

Thanx loads for your work.

• Like 4

For the purposes of the thread as Paul  introduced it, I think a great way to pick which decade to vote is in fact, which movies you've seen the most.  Even if you are a fan of only one genre in terms of all actors -regardless of favourites - you are still more likely to continue to watch movies of a particular decade more than most.  Maybe it is because you like the genre.  maybe it is because you like black and white.  Maybe it is because your favourite director had the best movies of his career. 

For example, I love musicals to the point where I can enjoy a badly made, scratchy copy of a musical that focuses on actors or actresses whose names I never learned because they never became famous and enjoy it.

The heyday of the musicals ended in the 1950s.  After that, musicals were based upon solid stage hits only.

I cannot enjoy a war movie made after everything became gory violence unless I am a fan of the leads.

• Like 1

The 1940s! (Some of my favorites):

3908a86a38db8cb09390913cd3a61fe2.jpg

giphy.gif

The Harvey Girls

giphy.gif

Casablanca

tumblr_nfxc3j3qxB1s2gm3jo1_500.gif

The Philadelphia Story

tumblr_my6q3o0Si21qfap4co4_250.gif

giphy.gif

Miracle on 34th Street

tumblr_nh5yz3cAeI1rdfgw4o1_500.gif

It's A Wonderful Life

...just to name a few!!!

• Like 1

The 1940s! (Some of my favorites):

The Harvey Girls

Casablanca

The Philadelphia Story

Miracle on 34th Street

It's A Wonderful Life

...just to name a few!!!

I've seen every one of these. I'm kind of a nerd, but I've been keeping track of all the classic films I've seen (1930s through 1960s, primarily) and if my calculations are correct, then I've seen 154 films just from the 1940's alone. Lol there's probably a support group for people like me. :P

• Like 3

I've seen every one of these. I'm kind of a nerd, but I've been keeping track of all the classic films I've seen (1930s through 1960s, primarily) and if my calculations are correct, then I've seen 154 films just from the 1940's alone. Lol there's probably a support group for people like me. :P

No! I make lists of things like this too!!! I keep a list in my wallet of the plays/musicals I've seen in the Boston theatres, and which productions I want to see.  If anybody ever says anything to you, take some advice from my favorite, Natalie Wood!!:

tumblr_lkwpns9VUS1qakh43o1_500.gif

• Like 2

No! I make lists of things like this too!!! I keep a list in my wallet of the plays/musicals I've seen in the Boston theatres, and which productions I want to see.  If anybody ever says anything to you, take some advice from my favorite, Natalie Wood!!

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there lol. Oh, and Gypsy (1962) is one of my favorites as well. I loved Natalie in that.

• Like 1

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there lol. Oh, and Gypsy (1962) is one of my favorites as well. I loved Natalie in that.

Thanks for replying (Paul) on the other topic & NATASHA again buddy!

As for "Gypsy" (***) it's said it was the very first time we got to hear her actual singing voice! Director: Mervyn Leroy

gave her her own shot this time out

As most know for *"West Side' it was Marni Nixon & even w/"Daisy Clover' they used Robin Ward, though if you look & for some reason "Daisy" has gotten under my skin, more then her other roles & she made approx (39)

There's just something about her as "Daisy Clover" & I've actually studied/watched that underrated pic. more than any other of hers

& trust me, you can't see her lip synching

Matter of fact, when I went to "Larry Edmund's Famous Book Store" on H. Blvd. I got a couple more photos of he-(NOTE: man, man, o, man, if you just ask them for shots of anyone-(especially at that time Bond) I wasn't into that, but some guys came in & inquired & they pulled out 3-4 folders on James Bond!

I got a couple, most notably her in "Daisy" & "Brainstorm"-(of course still hanging on me "Walls-of-Fame")  I wish they woulda' just done a pic about her, w/her mother in the background in "Gypsy" instead. Russell was just too shrill for me.

Also, on 1 of the HOLLYWOOD tours we made a stop at a very famed park "Greystone" where they did the likes of "Beverly Hills Cop" "The Bodyguard" "Withes of Eastwick" "Ghostbusters" & tons more. But, as the guide said, look up at the top of a very steep hill & the real Gypsy Rose Lee-(l9l4-70) lived there & Suzanne summers did then-(late '99)

• Like 1

No! I make lists of things like this too!!! I keep a list in my wallet of the plays/musicals I've seen in the Boston theatres, and which productions I want to see.  If anybody ever says anything to you, take some advice from my favorite, Natalie Wood!!:

tumblr_lkwpns9VUS1qakh43o1_500.gif

Paul, did you get my item on your profile about me accidentally deleting you as a "Friend?"  & they won't let you revise it either. Sorry pal & please let me know

COOL BEANS w/"Gypsy" footage

There's a site where 1 can not only play this one of hers, but lots more buddy

Including 1 of my fav. images of her while filming "Daisy" & taking a break & she's sitting at a bench having fun w/the camera & life in general, as usual SHE LOVED LIFE!  Sticking her tongue out, making faces,etc

Just contact me & I'll tip you to it & much more on "The Russian: Princess"

Also, her younger sister: Lana Wood-(l946-) of whom I've never liked, since NATALIE went. Anyhow, once had her own website-(of course) & has literally posed nude for anyone that has a camera ever since.

& of course wrote a book about her, think that one was "Natalie & R.J" which I also got at "L. Edmund's" but threw it out later.  Since then I have a superb book on her my friend! Lana turns up every once in awhile when she wants more $dough$ w/these murder allegations involving Wagner. Actually, fairly recent, again

(TRIVIA: In "The Searchers" she was little Debbie by the way)

& on her crappy site she once had, I almost got a virus from the....thing!!!

Also, have tons of items about her daughter's: Natasha (Gregson) Wagner-(l970-), Courtney-(l974)-(she was never interested in acting) & her stepdaughter: Katie Wagner-(l964-)-(another long story involving Katie & myself that dates back to the summer of 1989!) She looks like her own mama, Marion Marshall-(l931-) who had pts in (2) "Martin & Lewis" comedies & was in the funny 1949 "I Was a Male War Bride" quite a lot.

(P.S. But I despise both: Lana Wood & Jill St. John)

• Like 1

The sweet spot for me is about 1939-1965, with, of course, favorites from other decades as well. The 1940s has my vote: film noir, serious drama, women's pictures, romances, with a sprinkling of comedies and musicals. I've also come to enjoy the WWII dramas of resistance and collaboration.

The 1940s has great actors, directors, writers, and, not least, cinematographers.

Is there any question that the 1940s is the best decade for beautiful brunettes?

• Like 5

Is there any question that the 1940s is the best decade for beautiful brunettes?

Wonderfully put, kingrat. :)

• Like 1