Sign in to follow this  
Paulll

[Poll] Your favorite decade for films??

What is your favorite decade for films?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite decade for films?!?

• 1890s
    • 1900s
    • 1910s
    • 1920s
    • 1930s
    • 1940s
    • 1950s
    • 1960s
    • 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s
    • 2010s
    • None/I don't like films
    • I like every decade just about equally

35 posts in this topic

We brunettes like to hear about brunettes getting good roles.  The 40s were wonderful for brunettes.

And we must not forget an important redhead:

My favourite film noir of all time: GILDA starring two faourites of mine Glenn Ford and Rita Hayworth.

• Like 1

I followed GregoryPeckfans/Paul 1992's idea of naming the decade you've seen the most films from as your favorite.  I thought I'd seen most from the 1940's; but I just went through Wiki's list of 50's films, and I've seen 23 more than in the 40's!   So, I changed my vote, LOL. 

• Like 2

I believe I've seen an equal number of films from the 1940s through the 1980s.  However, the films I saw the most, in a theater, are from the 1960s, and most of my top 10 list of favorite films are from this decade, so that's the one that got my vote.

• Like 2

I followed GregoryPeckfans/Paul 1992's idea of naming the decade you've seen the most films from as your favorite.  I thought I'd seen most from the 1940's; but I just went through Wiki's list of 50's films, and I've seen 23 more than in the 40's!   So, I changed my vote, LOL. 

I'm very impressed by those that even know what films they have seen the most.    I believe TCM shows more films from the 40s then any other decade.  Since most of the films I see are seen on TCM (well until MOVIES and GET-TV came on the scene),  I assume I have seen more 40s films than any other decade.   

Some folks here even keep records of the films they have seen (I only do this for film noir).   My wife says I'm a classic film nerd but I don't come close to those folks. 

• Like 2

jamesjazzguitar--I have a handy book called "Guide For The Film Fanatic" by Danny Peary--he wrote about 1600 some films, and listed another 4000 in the back--with boxes by them to check when you'd seen the movie.  I check those Written about and those listed in back.  Of the films Listed, I've seen maybe 1500.  Book was published in 1987.

• Like 1

jamesjazzguitar--I have a handy book called "Guide For The Film Fanatic" by Danny Peary--he wrote about 1600 some films, and listed another 4000 in the back--with boxes by them to check when you'd seen the movie.  I check those Written about and those listed in back.  Of the films Listed, I've seen maybe 1500.  Book was published in 1987.

Thanks for the tip.     Film Fanatic;  I like that better then Film nerd! 

• Like 3

Objectively I want to agree with anyone who picks the 1950s; when you examine lists of titles-per-year its just crazy the scale and size of what was accomplished there. Historical spectacles, westerns, swashbucklers...plus the birth of noir and horror and SF.

But the 50s --though stellar in so many ways--were not yet Hollywood at its best precisely because the studios held such sway. There was too much a dearth of mavericks/independent filmmakers, too much lack of frankness about sexuality, just not enough true, psychologically-realistic storytelling.

The only flaw in the sweet, dark, 1940s is that just a tad too many films were "let's all pull together" wartime-style propaganda. Otherwise I might select them as #1.

In the end, I gotta go with the 1970s because despite lacking the outlandish scale and achievements of the 1950s, this decade yet has the most modern and socially relevant content to offer. Finally women get their freedom; finally ethnic races get their freedom; finally the human mind & human body are depicted; finally we get accurate politics and scathing criticism of the society around us (rather than just accepting that everything is 'hunky-dory'). In the 70s, Hollywood finally grows up.

• Like 1

My favorite decade for filmmaking is the 1940s.  Noir and musicals, two of my favorite types of films, really came into their own.  I loved the women's fashions, especially their wild hats.  I especially like the wartime films (read: not war films).  The 1950s would come in a close second--as the production code was starting to break apart, so there are films with more progressive content. 

• Like 1