Sign in to follow this  
nygirl1089

Godfather 1&2 thoughts??

31 posts in this topic

My family and I always discuss this when it comes on and we still say the same things and This was bound to come up on the boards eventually so i figure i'll get it started

Godfather one or two which is better

to me their both the best movies ever and i have my reasons

1.) the characters i feel are very well developed-so much so that in Godfather one when Sonny dies i started to cry when i first saw it(and i have only cried at two movies -- La Vita Bella and The Godfather)

2.) The music is SO good

3.) the direction is great and the angles are so kool -especially when ppl get killed

and

4.) I'm Sicilian so when i see Sicily and hear them speak Sicilian it just makes me laugh because the types of things that are said many people who are not Italian dont understand as well as some events that take place and im not bein racist but their are things in the movie that mostly Italians will understand and others will just not understand-- plus when you understand Sicilian and even regular Italian u can understand better that the translations aren't well translated so certain wrds in Sicilian are funny and translated wrong or not at all cause its hard to translate- only other italians will kno wat it means but u dont have an english wrd for it or the english wrd isnt as strong or have the same meaning as in italian and more so Sicilian

But anyways both of these movies are just so well directed and so frigin amazing that its hard to say which is better

so i jus wanna hear some other ppls thoughts on it

Both outstanding American films, although I would say that "The Godfather: Part II" is the better movie. I also like "The Godfather: Part III", it had it's moments.

Kudos to TCM for it's presentation of both films, uncut and without commercials.

Actually I preferred actor Andy Garcia in "The Godfather: Part III". He was outstanding and fun to watch. The production values were top notch.

After Wynona Ryder pulled out of the movie, poor Sofia was shoved into the role of Pacino's daughter. She did however come out smelling like a rose, much better as a director and screenwriter, like her pops.

i actuall couldnt watch Godfather 3 all the way through so -- scratch that i cried at three movies add in Godfather 3 --because it was so bad

that was the wrst movie i ever saw

the way Micheal jus dies at the end-in Sicily or something- i dont even remember because i watched it once and that was once to many

they never shud have made three- but thats how i feel

Both films are masterpieces, although part one is my favorite of the two. These two films are my answer to anyone who says "they didn't make classics after the 1950s". As for part three, I can't even talk about it in the same paragraph as the first two. Well, maybe one word.....JUNK!

I'll just offend everyone and stand out as the only member of these boards that never liked them. Great acting and filmmaking, maybe, but the subject matter has always turned my stomach, both now and when I first saw them as a kid. Can't sympathize with any of them. Honor? Riiiiiiight...

By watching :The Godfather" I now know that are NO Irish gangsters-- How true..how true..!

NEVER heard of HIM !! Or O'Bannion, or Touhy, or Dugan. In the day when Irish boxers were very popular, non prize fighters Irish would take Irish names in order to build up the gate ! Same way with gangsters, they took Irish names in order to get on the good side of Irish Cops !

There's a scene in The Sting where Gondorff is telling Hooker about how he used to run with "O'Shea's mob" but I cant find anything about a mobster named O'Shea.

Five Points, the rough Irish neighborhood in NYC, is also mentioned as Doyle Lonnegan's training ground.

There were certainly Irish outlaws - not that it's anything to be proud of, of course.

My last post was totally "tongue- in- cheek. The Jew, the Irish, and the Italians ALL had their finger in the mob pie. In 'The Sting", did you catch the line where Ray Walston tells "the boys" that Doyle Lonagan( spelled wrong-? ) is a member of "The Knights of Columbus" ?

did you catch the line where Ray Walston tells "the boys" that Doyle Lonagan( spelled wrong-? ) is a member of "The Knights of Columbus" ?

Vaguely. That's probably the scene where he starts his lines saying, "I don't know what to do with this guy, Henry. He's an Irishman who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke and doesn't chase dames." That's a memorable line.

> did you catch the line where Ray Walston tells

> "the boys" that Doyle Lonagan( spelled wrong-? ) is a

> member of "The Knights of Columbus" ?

>

> Vaguely. That's probably the scene where he starts

> his lines saying, "I don't know what to do with this

> guy, Henry. He's an Irishman who doesn't drink,

> doesn't smoke and doesn't chase dames." That's a

> memorable line.

YOU GOT IT !!!

The Shaw character likes Hooker (Redford) because the are both ambitious AND Irish !

Not to go of topic, but remember that "Shaw" and "Kelly" were their pseudonyms. The cops knew them as Gondorff and Hooker.

That is a Howard Hughes movie,a Howard Hughes obssession and a Howard Hughes lover. We're not talking about cowboys TMN,we're talking about the mafia.You do like to change up the threads now,don't you?

> That is a Howard Hughes movie,a Howard Hughes

> obssession and a Howard Hughes lover.

> We're not

> talking about cowboys TMN,we're talking about the

> mafia.You do like to change up the threads now,don't

> you?

' The Outlaw", NOT one of my favorite Westerns !!