kingrat

Lead or Supporting Role?

544 posts in this topic

Deciding definitely which category this or that performance should go in makes the final, end of decade tally smoother. Sometimes which category seems settled, but when the lists are posted, the same performance is still listed by people in multiple categories. 

Judging by the 2000 lists that have already been posted, and the discussion about the 2001 titles, we seem to have not reached consensus on many of these. So perhaps we should just post them where we individually think they fit and let the cards fall where they may.

Judging by the 2000 lists that have already been posted, and the discussion about the 2001 titles, we seem to have not reached consensus on many of these. So perhaps we should just post them where we individually think they fit and let the cards fall where they may.

That's what I was thinking.

Deciding definitely which category this or that performance should go in makes the final, end of decade tally smoother. Sometimes which category seems settled, but when the lists are posted, the same performance is still listed by people in multiple categories. 

I don't see the harm in keeping the discussion going here.  Ultimately, one decides for oneself as we have seen.  I'm not sure that everyone posting in the favourites thread reads this thread.

I was busy prepping my lists for next week for 2002, and I was thinking that there was a lot of category confusion due to Chicago, In America, About a Boy, and The Hours. Any thoughts on how to handle it?

Chicago = Gere and Zellweger as leads, others supporting.

The Hours = Kidman, Streep and Moore leads, others supporting.

In America = Morton and Considine leads (kids too, if you list them outside of juvenile category)

Not sure about About a Boy.

• Like 1

Are we having this lead for 2002?  I have Sandler the only lead for Punch Drunk Love and Foster the only lead for Panic Room.

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2002 …

IMO Julianne Moore was one of three lead actresses in The Hours.  Oscar had her in the supporting category but her role was just about equal in size and importance to that of Nicole Kidman’s and Meryl Streep’s. 

Miranda Richardson is the lead actress in Spider.  If you add up all of the roles she plays she qualifies as a lead IMO. 

Alfred Molina is the lead actor in Frida.

Edie Falco is lead actress in Sunshine State.

Meryl Streep is supporting in Adaptation.

Are we having this lead for 2002?  I have Sandler the only lead for Punch Drunk Love and Foster the only lead for Panic Room.

I agree about Sandler, but it's close. I could see considering Forest Whitaker as a lead in Panic Room, but if you think only Foster, I can live with that, too.

I was busy prepping my lists for next week for 2002, and I was thinking that there was a lot of category confusion due to Chicago, In America, About a Boy, and The Hours. Any thoughts on how to handle it?

Hugh Grant and Nicholas Hoult are both leads in About a Boy, unless you plan on including Hoult in the Best Juvenile Performance category.

2002 is crammed with roles that are somewhere between leading and supporting.

The Quiet American: It's about a love triangle, so I think Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser and Do Thi Hai Yen are all leading.

White Oleander: Alison Lohman is leading. Michelle Pfeiffer doesn't have much screentime after the first half hour, so I see her as supporting.

8 Women: I see the six family members as leading, the two servants as supporting.

Talk to Her: Javier Camára, Dario Grandinetti and Leonor Watling are leading. Rosario Flores is supporting.

The Importance of Being Earnest: I think Colin, Rupert, Frances and Reese are all leading.

Any consensus on Hope Davis in American Splendor?  The awards groups were divided, but some of them had it as a combined award with The Secret Lives of Dentists. 

Also we should be clear whether Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation and Joan Cusack in School of Rock are lead and supporting.

Johansson is a lead in Lost in Translation. It's her story as much as Murray's.

It's been too long since I've seen the others.

• Like 1

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2004 …

IMO both Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx were leads in Collateral.  The film is a two hander and could be argued that it is played from Foxx’s perspective.  Oscar had Foxx in the supporting category which was obviously a nod to Cruise’s top billing.

I have Clive Owen as the lead in Closer.  Oscar had Owen in the supporting category.   Natalie Portman is supporting.

I have Thomas Haden Church as supporting in Sideways.  He has a lot of screen time in this buddy film but toward the end gives way to Giamatti’s story entirely.  Both Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh are supporting.

I have both Gael Garcia Bernal and Rodrigo De la Serna as leads in The Motorcycle Diaries.  This is another two-hander and is literally told by De la Serna.  Some awards had De la Serna in supporting.

Kate Winslet is the lead actress in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Laura Linney is supporting in Kinsey.

Sophie Okonedo is supporting in Hotel Rwanda.

My most glaring examples are boith *Finch in "Network"-(won leading actor statuette & was on screen a grand total of 17 minutes, though he was MAGNIFICENT!)

& of course *Hoipkins as Hannibal Lechter in 18991's *"Silence of the lambs" total screen time was just 22 minutes. OIt' just probable he was so powrerful in that classic role it seemed longer & both campaigned for Best Actor

& even going way back to *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" as Father Tim Mullen in 18936's "San Francisco' obviously a supporting role, but all historians say he was already so popular by then, they wanted him in the leading race instesd. His role in same yrs "Fury" was obviously the lead

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2004 continued …

For starters I have Paul Haggis' Crash as a 2004 film as it was released ublically at the Toronto Film Festival in September of that year.  I have Matt Dillon as a lead in that picture though many awards including the Oscars had him in support.

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2004 continued …

For starters I have Paul Haggis' Crash as a 2004 film as it was released ublically at the Toronto Film Festival in September of that year.  I have Matt Dillon as a lead in that picture though many awards including the Oscars had him in support.

Crash is one of those where I feel everyone is supporting. If there were leads, it would be Dillon and maybe Terrence Howard, who I personally have in supporting.

Crash is one of those where I feel everyone is supporting. If there were leads, it would be Dillon and maybe Terrence Howard, who I personally have in supporting.

If I didn't loathe the movie, I'd suggest Cheadle might be the one lead.

Any opinions on The Merchant of Venice

Al Pacino - Shylock

Jeremy Irons - Antonio (the merchant)

Joseph Fiennes - Bassanio

Lynn Collins - Portia

Fiennes and Collins would have a better chance in the supporting category, but a major part of the story revolves around their characters. I would say all four are leading.

Any opinions on The Merchant of Venice

Al Pacino - Shylock

Jeremy Irons - Antonio (the merchant)

Joseph Fiennes - Bassanio

Lynn Collins - Portia

Fiennes and Collins would have a better chance in the supporting category, but a major part of the story revolves around their characters. I would say all four are leading.

I have Pacino as supporting in Merchant.  I would have to see the film again to judge the others.

I have Pacino as supporting in Merchant.  I would have to see the film again to judge the others.

Perhaps.  Shylock is clearly not supposed to be the protagonist.  But has anyone seen the play in the past two centuries because they were interested in who played Antonio?

• Like 1

I noted that there was disagreement among the critics group whether Phil Davis was lead or supporting in Vera Drake.  Personally I believe Staunton dominates the movie so much all the other characters are supporting.

• Like 3

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2005 …

IMO George Clooney was a lead actor in Syriana.  I suspect he was put in the supporting category by the producers to increase his chances of winning.  It worked in the case of Oscar.

I have both Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as the leads in Brokeback Mountain.  Oscar had Gyllenhaal in support which I think was an effort to not split the vote.

I have Mickey Rourke as a lead in Sin City.

Both Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette are leads in In Her Shoes.

Both Ion Fiscuteanu and Luminita Gheorghiu are the leads in The Death of Mr. Lazarescu.

Barry Pepper is supporting in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

Both Joel Edgerton and Chiwetel Ejiofor are leads in Kinky Boots.

I have Maria Bello as the lead actress in  A History of Violence.  Many awards had her in the supporting category.

• Like 1