Louis Calhern in The Asphalt Jungle

Shelley Winters in A Place in the Sun

Both supporting I would say.

Arthur Kennedy in The Lusty Men

Ethel Waters in Member of the Wedding

Gloria Grahame  The Big Heat

the whole cast of Julius Caesar

Farley Granger and John Dall in ROPE?

I agree about Calhern and Winters being supporting, and I would consider Arthur Kennedy supporting in THE LUSTY MEN. Ethel Waters and Gloria Grahame are tougher calls.

When we get to 1949, A LETTER TO THREE WIVES is problematic for me about lead/supporting.

When we get to 1949, A LETTER TO THREE WIVES is problematic for me about lead/supporting.

I agree on Letter to Three Wives.

I would say both Granger and Dall were leads along with Stewart, maybe even more than Stewart.

• Like 1

Arthur Kennedy in The Lusty Men

Ethel Waters in Member of the Wedding

Gloria Grahame  The Big Heat

the whole cast of Julius Caesar

This is what I had.  Ethel Waters supporting.  Gloria Grahame supporting - just.  I'm not sure about Kennedy as it was not on my radar.

Re, Julius Caesar.  Mason is the lead.  Everyone else is supporting including Brando !!

• Like 1

I agree about Calhern and Winters being supporting, and I would consider Arthur Kennedy supporting in THE LUSTY MEN. Ethel Waters and Gloria Grahame are tougher calls.

When we get to 1949, A LETTER TO THREE WIVES is problematic for me about lead/supporting.

Re, Letter to Three Wives, I have Sothern Darnell and Crain all as the leads.  Douglas too.

I'm sure some might disagree but I have Brando in support for all of these: Julius Caesar, A Streetcar Named Desire, and The Godfather.

I'm sure some might disagree but I have Brando in support for all of these: Julius Caesar, A Streetcar Named Desire, and The Godfather.

I was leaning that way with Julius Caesar. I also agree with supporting for The Godfather.  A Streetcar Named Desire, though, I think is lead.

I'm having an awful time with Best supporting actress. Here's the number of nominees I have for the next few years:

1948 = 3

1949 = 4

1950 = 2

1951 = 4

1952 = 4

1953 = 2

I'll go along with Granger and Dall being leads in Rope.

James Mason as the only lead in Julius Caesar: I definitely agree.

Brando is supporting in Caesar, a lead in Streetcar, and, to my mind, supporting in Godfather.

Linda Darnell seems to have the biggest role in A Letter to Three Wives, so it makes sense to consider her partner Paul Douglas as a lead, too. I'll go along with Sothern and Crain as leads, too, which does treat all three wives equally, although Sothern would have a real shot in the supporting actress category.

I'm pleased that Dall and Granger are viewed as the leads for Rope,  I was assuming Stewart was supporting, which is good news for him awards wise.  I had Gwenn as supporting, but in some years I think an arguably supporting performance is so good it should be considered the lead.

• Like 1

I was leaning that way with Julius Caesar. I also agree with supporting for The Godfather.  A Streetcar Named Desire, though, I think is lead.

The next time you watch Streetcar see if you gather what I mean by Brando being a supporting player.  I came to that conclusion after multiple viewings with Blanche as the only lead.  Brando's screen time is surprisingly low.  but, hey ...

Walter Huston is now a candidate to win both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor in our 1948 voting!

1949 may be just as confusing. How do the rest of you see these worthy performances? Are they leads or not?

Ralph Richardson, THE HEIRESS

Orson Welles, THE THIRD MAN

Edmond O'Brien, WHITE HEAT

I'm inclined to consider both Robert Ryan and James Mason as leads in CAUGHT.

Walter Huston is now a candidate to win both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor in our 1948 voting!

1949 may be just as confusing. How do the rest of you see these worthy performances? Are they leads or not?

I have Richardson and Welles as supporting. The others I don't know. I haven't seen Caught, and I haven't seen White Heat in so long, I forgot O'Brien was in it.

• Like 1

Welles and Richardson supporting.  I can't help with the others.

Oscar put John Ireland in the supporting category for All the King’s Men in 1949.  In my opinion this was a co-lead performance in this film along with Broderick Crawford.  Yes, Crawford had the splashier role but the entire film follows the point of view of John Ireland’s character.  Mercedes McCambridge is supporting in my view.

• Like 1

Kind Hearts and Coronets - I currently have Alec Guinness in the lead category for this film, but I was just thinking about it. Yes, he is top billed and prominently featured on the poster, and gets most of the accolades, but he's not really the lead. Dennis Price is. The story is told from his point of view, and he's in nearly every scene. Guinness's character(s) are supporting to Price and Hobson. However, since Guinness makes up nearly the entire supporting cast himself, does that make him a lead after all? 

Yes, I think playing all the different supporting characters for Guinness in Kind Hearts and Coronets makes him a lead, but you're right, Dennis Price has the true leading role.

Kind Hearts and Coronets - I currently have Alec Guinness in the lead category for this film, but I was just thinking about it. Yes, he is top billed and prominently featured on the poster, and gets most of the accolades, but he's not really the lead. Dennis Price is. The story is told from his point of view, and he's in nearly every scene. Guinness's character(s) are supporting to Price and Hobson. However, since Guinness makes up nearly the entire supporting cast himself, does that make him a lead after all? 

I have Guinness as supporting and Price as the only lead.  I watched it again quite recently and yes he has all those multiple roles but not nearly the screen time as you would think.  Lots of the film is taken up with Dennis Price and his two women.

I have Guinness as supporting and Price as the only lead.  I watched it again quite recently and yes he has all this multiple roles but not nearly the screen time as you would think.  Lots of the film is taken up with Dennis Price and his two women.

So I should switch Guinness to supporting? It's important (as far as these lists go, anyway) since

I currently have Guinness as my winner for Best Actor.

So I should switch Guinness to supporting? It's important (as far as these lists go, anyway) since

I currently have Guinness as my winner for Best Actor.

I would think so.  And it is Dennis Price's story all the way.  That is another yardstick that I use.

• Like 1

1950: Anne Baxter chose to compete in the lead rather than the supporting category for ALL ABOUT EVE, and that probably is accurate, even if she may have cost Bette Davis an Oscar in the process.

Yes, Baxter is the co-lead in All About Eve.   In the modern era the studio would have insisted on putting her in the supporting category to try to ensure two more Oscars for the film.  Just look at Carol (2015).

• Like 1

I'm working on my 57-59 lists tonight, so I may be asking for several clarifications. The first one is: Alec Guinness in Bridge on the River Kwai. Is it a co-lead with Holden or is it supporting?

Edit: Also, what's the breakdown in category for Separate Tables?

Edited by LawrenceA

I'm working on my 57-59 lists tonight, so I may be asking for several clarifications. The first one is: Alec Guinness in Bridge on the River Kwai. Is it a co-lead with Holden or is it supporting?

Edit: Also, what's the breakdown in category for Separate Tables?

Guinness is absolutely the co-lead in Kwai IMO.  I have Niven, Lancaster, Hayworth and Kerr all as leads in Separate Tables.  The rest supporting.

• Like 2

Looking at 1957-1959: don't know if any of these will come into play for Lawrence, but here's how I currently have them.

A Hatful of Rain - Franciosa, Don Murray, and Eva Marie Saint all leads

The Seventh Seal - Max Von Sydow lead, all others supporting. As a relative unknown, he only got fourth billing.

Burl Ives, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - supporting? He was listed as a lead and not nominated, which is why his Oscar win was for The Big Country

The Big Country - Jean Simmons a lead, along with Gregory Peck

Bonjour Tristesse - Jean Seberg, Deborah Kerr, and David Niven all leads

The Nun's Story - Peter Finch as a lead, along with Audrey Hepburn

Career - Franciosa as the only lead

Shake Hands with the Devil - James Cagney as supporting, with Don Murray the only lead