Sign in to follow this  
ken123

Shenandoah

9 posts in this topic

Shenandoah is a terrific Civil War film starring Jimmy Stewart, as Charlie Anderson, a man who feels that the state does own his sons. Andrew McLaglen's finest effort, but he sure did copy John Ford !

I really did like the movie though.It had its sad moments.Jimmy was good in sad movies.

Garbomaniac and I were mentioning on another thread about the old TV westerns and I remember that Doug McClure (there you go,IRISH) played in both "The Virginian" and "Shenandoah".

In Shenandoah Andrew McLaglen used some of favorite actors Jimmy Stewart, Pat Wayne, Denver Pyle, Strother Martin, and Harry Carey (jr). Paul Fix, Carey's real father - in - law doesn't count. Fix and Ford had a failing out.It was directed in the Ford style and with the Ford philosophy. No Big Brother and that it is the individual that matters (or at least should ) in society.

> I really did like the movie though.It had its sad

> moments.Jimmy was good in sad movies.

>

> Garbomaniac and I were mentioning on another thread

> about the old TV westerns and I remember that Doug

> McClure (there you go,IRISH) played in both "The

> Virginian" and "Shenandoah".

For a short time Doug McClure was married to Barbara Luna, who often played fiery Latina types.

I love this movie it is one of my favorites . Movieman1957 needs to have a say on this one it is one of his as well, Chris where are you?

I'm here inglis. Thanks for asking. You're right, I do have a fondness for this film. Mainly for the way it deals with the family. I've mentioned before the "fatherly" discussions about marriage that Stewart has with McClure are priceless. But the dinner table conversations are telling as well. (They remind me some of those from "How Green Was My Valley." This might point to the Ford connection). That they honor Mrs. Anderson, that there are still manners to be shown. They have a right to their opinion no matter how wrong. Frankly, I think the prayers are pretty funny. The fact that he thanks the Lord for the food even though they did all the work themselves shows it was a man keeping a promise to a departed wife.

The way he deals with the guard who shoots his son when they startle him is a pretty tough scene. More forgiving than most would be, I imagine. It might be a bit long but I think it's a pretty good way to spend some time