Sign in to follow this  
terrya

The Celluoid Closet

4 posts in this topic

I have never seen this excellent documentary on TCM. I wish TCM would consider showing it sometime. It's a excellent look at how we've been portrayed in films from the silent era until today (well, in the 1990's when it was made).

• Like 1

I'd like to see and read "The Celluloid Closet Opens", which would be a fascinating book.

I have never seen this excellent documentary on TCM. I wish TCM would consider showing it sometime. It's a excellent look at how we've been portrayed in films from the silent era until today (well, in the 1990's when it was made).

You'd probably also be interested in The Silver Screen: Color Me Lavender (1997) by Mark Rasppaport, who also made Rock Hudson's Home Movies. It's hosted by Dan Butler and looks at subtext in classic films more than actual gay content. He does a good job of identifying recurring patterns in onscreen male-male relationships, my favorite being "The Walter Brennan Syndrome", whereby an older sidekick type constantly tries to steer the hero away from relationships with women.  

If you haven't seen it, HBO did a documentary in 2011 called Vito, profiling Vito Russo, the author of The Celluloid Closet. There's good infromation about the creation of the book and the documentary movie. His good friend Lily Tomlin seems to have played a big part in the creation of both documentaries.

• Like 1