Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Republic's short films and cartoons

2 posts in this topic

I didn't see a thread on this particular studio. So I thought I'd post some lists about the short subject films Republic Pictures made.

Short films:

MEET THE STARS-- ART IN HOLLYWOOD (variety)

March 5, 1940

Directed and produced by Louella Parsons' daughter Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- COWBOY JUBILEE (variety)

June 7, 1940

With John Wayne and Gene Autry. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- CHINESE GARDEN FESTIVAL (variety)

December 24, 1940

With Dolores Del Rio, John Garfield, Beulah Bondi and Rita Hayworth, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- WAMPAS BABY STARS (variety)

January 5, 1941

With Joan Blondell and Dolores Del Rio, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- VARIETY REEL (variety)

February 21, 1941

With Edward Arnold, Mary Astor, Binnie Barnes and Donald Crisp, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- LOS ANGELES EXAMINER BENEFIT (variety)

March 24, 1941

With Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, the Andrews Sisters and Milton Berle, among others. Produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- HOLLYWOOD VISITS THE NAVY (variety)

April 24, 1941

With Richard Barthelmess, Henry Fonda, Carole Landis and Carmen Miranda, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- STARS AT PLAY (variety)

May 24, 1941

With Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Gene Autry, Bing Crosby and Joe E. Brown, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- MEET ROY ROGERS (variety)

June 24, 1941

Roy Rogers with Gene Autry, Gabby Hayes and Judy Canova, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- STARS PAST AND PRESENT (variety)

July 24, 1941

With Richard Bennett, Chester Conklin, Edgar Kennedy, Mary Martin and Cesar Romero, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

HENRY BROWNE, FARMER (documentary)

December 2, 1942; previewed November 15, 1942

Film shows the part American negroes play in the war. Narrated by Canada Lee. Oscar nominee. 11 mins. B&W.

LAND OF OPPORTUNITY-- THE AMERICAN RODEO (travelogue)

November 8, 1949

Featuring western actor Allan Lane, narrated by Gerald Courtemarsh. 9 mins. B&W.

LAND OF OPPORTUNITY-- THE SPONGE DIVER (travelogue)

December 14, 1949

Featuring Robert Rockwell and Billy Gray. 9 mins. B&W.

LAND OF OPPORTUNITY-- TILLERS OF THE SOIL (travelogue)

January 19, 1950

Featuring Will Wright. 9 mins. B&W.

LAND OF OPPORTUNITY-- THE MARDI GRAS (travelogue)

February 24, 1950

Featuring Selmer Jackson and Anna May Slaughter. 9 mins. B&W.

THE BATTLE FOR KOREA (war documentary)

July 1, 1950

About the escalating conflict in Korea. 9 mins. B&W.

FIGHTS-- ROBINSON VS. TURPIN (sports)

June 20, 1951

About the fight between Sugar Ray Robinson and Randy Turpin on June 10. Turpin won by a decision in 15 rounds. B&W.

MIRACLE IN MOTION (charity)

For the United Cerebral Palsy Foundation, narrated by John Wayne. 3 mins. B&W.

FIGHTS-- MARCIANO VS. LA STARZA (sports)

September 28, 1953 (sports)

About the fight between Rocky Marciano and Roland La Starza on September 24, where Marciano won by a TKO in 11 rounds. Narrated by Bill Corum. B&W.

THIS WORLD OF OURS (travelogue)

A travel series that Carl Dudley produced for Republic in the 1950s. All segments were 9 minutes in length and presented in Trucolor. Subjects included:

1950-- Norway (3/15), Denmark (6/1), Glacier Nat'l Park (7/15), Sweden (8/30), France (10/15), Holland (11/30)

1951-- London (1/15), Portugal (2/15), Spain (3/15), England (4/15), Hawaii (5/15), Greece (6/15), Belgium (7/15), Switzerland (9/1), Italy (11/1), Egypt (12/15)

1952-- Puerto Rico (1/15), Chile (3/1), Israel (5/20), India (7/1), The Philippines (8/11)

1953-- Ceylon (3/1), Washington City of Destiny (3/10), Singapore (6/1), German (8/1), Japan (10/1)

1954-- Hong Kong (1/15), Formosa (5/10), Ireland (8/1), Thailand (12/1), Bali (12/15

1955-- Venezuela (3/1), Caribbean Sky Cruise (4/1), Turkey (5/1)

Trucolor Specials

These were directed by Sloan Nibley and narrated by Hans Conried. Republic produced them in 1956, and they were both 9 minutes in length:

Miracle in Venezuela (9/1) and Carnival in Munich (10/1).

Cartoons:

JERKY JOURNEYS-- BEYOND CIVILIZATION TO TEXAS (children's film)

March 15, 1949

Narrated by Kenny Delmar. 7 mins. Trucolor.

JERKY JOURNEYS-- THE 3 MINNIES: SOTA, TONKA & HA HA! (children's film)

April 15, 1949

Narrated by Frank Nelson. 7 mins. Trucolor.

JERKY JOURNEYS-- BUNGLE IN THE JUNGLE (children's film)

May 15, 1949

JERKY JOURNEYS-- ROMANTIC RUMBOLIA (children's film)

June 15, 1949

• Like 1

Topbilled, if you want to blend this post with yours, you can and I can delete mine.

In addition to the "Jerkey Journeys", they also produced a Robert Clampett cartoon, copyrighted November 17, 1947 as It's a Grand Old Nag, starring Charlie Horse

Although you updated your list and I went ahead and deleted most of this post, I could not resist keeping this video.

This World Of Ours... good ol' Carl Dudley made many distinguished travelogues for other studios, including a feature South Sea Adventure for Cinerama as well. Seen that one... great bungee jumps in New Hebrides. Sounds like our familiar Art Gilmore (i.e. Joe McDoakes and Warner travelogues) here...

• Like 1