Hibi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS DAY!

314 posts in this topic

A few days early, but I wont be around. She turns  92 (really 94!) on Sunday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS!!!

• Like 3

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS!!!

I wonder if Miss Von Kappelhoff [sp?] will be partying?

My great aunt says she used to go see her sing at some joint in Kentucky, and even then she sounded great.

Happy Birthday, Doris and many more!

• Like 2

On April Fools, Hibi, you have to be careful how you word things....

:)

I love Doris and Happy early birthday to her.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS!!!

Happy Birthday Doris. Me-TV will be showing a marathon of her Doris Day Show episodes all week-end in honor of her Birthday.

• Like 1

I used to be somewhat indifferent to Doris Day, I think because i'd only seen her in her eternal virgin roles. However, the more I see of Day, the more I like her. She's got a beautiful singing voice and is a very versatile actress.

My favorite of her films:

Love Me or Leave Me

The Pajama Game

Young Man With a Horn

With Six You Get Eggroll

The Man Who Knew Too Much

Touch of Mink

Pillow Talk

I'll See You in My Dreams

It's a Great Feeling

• Like 1

I used to be somewhat indifferent to Doris Day, I think because i'd only seen her in her eternal virgin roles. However, the more I see of Day, the more I like her. She's got a beautiful singing voice and is a very versatile actress.

My favorite of her films:

Love Me or Leave Me

The Pajama Game

Young Man With a Horn

With Six You Get Eggroll

The Man Who Knew Too Much

Touch of Mink

Pillow Talk

I'll See You in My Dreams

It's a Great Feeling

You omitted my favorite Doris film, LOVER COME BACK.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DORIS DAY!

Your talent continues to delight millions who discover you in film. A true class act!

What a face! What a figure! What a VOICE!

I had just read in CAGNEY BY CAGNEY that when he first saw Doris Day he was awestruck by her professionalism & talent. He knew first sight she would be a star. It seems a triumph to impress Cagney, who was in film from the early days & saw everything.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Doris. Me-TV will be showing a marathon of her Doris Day Show episodes all week-end in honor of her Birthday.

Happy Birthday Doris ! !

______________________________________________

Ms. Day personally selected these episodes for MeTV:

THE BUDDY - Mary Wickes, who appeared in four movies with Doris—'By The Light of The Silvery Moon,' 'On Moonlight Bay,’ 'I'll See You In My Dreams,' and 'It Happened to Jane'— guest stars as Marine Major Emma Flood, an old girlfriend of Doris' father Buck, who runs the house with military might when Doris must leave.

DORIS GETS A JOB - Doris goes on a job interview in San Francisco. McLean Stevenson and Rose Marie are introduced as Doris' new boss and her co-worker Myrna.

DORIS FINDS AN APARTMENT - Doris finds a San Francisco apartment over an Italian restaurant owned by the Palucci's, played by Kaye Ballard and Bernie Kopell.

TONY BENNETT IS EATING HERE - Word travels fast when Tony eats at Palucci's restaurant. Bennett also sings with Doris.

DORIS GOES TO HOLLYWOOD - Doris' sons enter her in a Doris Day look-alike contest and she wins a trip to Hollywood. Henry Fonda cameos.

HOSPITAL BENEFIT - Doris puts on her most exotic fashion show ever to aid her boyfriend, played by Peter Lawford. Lee Meriwether guest stars.

IT'S A DOG'S LIFE - In the last show filmed for the series, Doris tries to save dogs from the dog catcher and Billy De Wolfe's character, Mr. Jarvis, shows his love for dogs as does John Dehner’s character, Cy Bennett. Two of Doris' dogs appear in the episode.

fzUn7YC.jpg

Doris Day was such an appealing and talented performer.

She proved that she was top-notch in any genre.

My favorite films of hers are the comedies that she made with Rock Hudson.

And, of course, who could resist her in "Midnight Lace"?

I think that people tend to underestimate her because she made acting look so effortless and also because many, in my opinion wrongly, attributed her as part of the wholesome propaganda of the 1950s. Watching her films today, many times her virginal, sunny veneer has been used subversively as her priggishness was often the butt of the joke. She also played a lot of intelligent, if neurotic, career women too.

In addition to the films mentioned here, I also liked Day in Romance on the High Seas, which was an incredibly confident debut and she showed a lot of spunk; Move Over Darling; Calamity Jane; April in Paris; Please Don't Eat the Daisies; Storm Warning.

• Like 2

Happy Birthday Doris ! !

______________________________________________

Ms. Day personally selected these episodes for MeTV:

THE BUDDY - Mary Wickes, who appeared in four movies with Doris—'By The Light of The Silvery Moon,' 'On Moonlight Bay,’ 'I'll See You In My Dreams,' and 'It Happened to Jane'— guest stars as Marine Major Emma Flood, an old girlfriend of Doris' father Buck, who runs the house with military might when Doris must leave.

DORIS GETS A JOB - Doris goes on a job interview in San Francisco. McLean Stevenson and Rose Marie are introduced as Doris' new boss and her co-worker Myrna.

DORIS FINDS AN APARTMENT - Doris finds a San Francisco apartment over an Italian restaurant owned by the Palucci's, played by Kaye Ballard and Bernie Kopell.

TONY BENNETT IS EATING HERE - Word travels fast when Tony eats at Palucci's restaurant. Bennett also sings with Doris.

DORIS GOES TO HOLLYWOOD - Doris' sons enter her in a Doris Day look-alike contest and she wins a trip to Hollywood. Henry Fonda cameos.

HOSPITAL BENEFIT - Doris puts on her most exotic fashion show ever to aid her boyfriend, played by Peter Lawford. Lee Meriwether guest stars.

IT'S A DOG'S LIFE - In the last show filmed for the series, Doris tries to save dogs from the dog catcher and Billy De Wolfe's character, Mr. Jarvis, shows his love for dogs as does John Dehner’s character, Cy Bennett. Two of Doris' dogs appear in the episode.

fzUn7YC.jpg

Me-TV is not showing the Doris Days in the tri-state area (New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut).

Me-TV is not showing the Doris Days in the tri-state area (New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut).

Yes, and I have discovered that I do not get it either.  I live in British Columbia and our MeTV channel is from Bellinngham.

Probably due to your close proximity to Caunada.

ga5EgSa.jpg

All kidding aside.. that's too bad. These would do nicely to replace much of what is currently shown on tv.

I don't have ME-TV either but I think it's because I have Dish. When I had cable, I had ME-TV. There's an affiliate in Portland.

If anyone has Hulu, The Doris Day Show is on there.

• Like 2

I had just read in CAGNEY BY CAGNEY that when he first saw Doris Day he was awestruck by her professionalism & talent. He knew first sight she would be a star. It seems a triumph to impress Cagney, who was in film from the early days & saw everything.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Cagney also mentioned in his book that he didn't care much for the films she made with Rock Hudson.  He thought the comedies were a bit of a light weight after her dramatic role in Love Me or Leave Me.

i like to imagine that Doris was good friends with Loretta Young and, at some point during the frozen yogurt craze, went to a TCBY, just so I could say that at some point in time "DODO AND LOYO WENT AND GET FROYO, BECAUSE YOLO."

You can use that as a tantric chant if you like.

Yeah, all weekend the channel DECADES has been havin one of their "binges" of Doris' old TV show.  And slap my M O U F !------(heh....wonder why THAT got censored???)

I used to watch the show, I'll admit not religiously, but often enough, I think.  But.....

Although I must have noticed his character in the show, I wasn't AWARE at the time the actor's name was MACLEAN STEPHENSON!

I actually wasn't consciously aware of the man until M*A*S*H* hit the airwaves!  :o

It struck me then, as it still does, how good Doris looked in skin tight jeans at the age she was (mid to late 40's) when she did the show.  ;)

Anyway, happy birthday Doris.  I contend that ANYone who didn't, doesn't care about or appreciates you are probably ISIS operatives.  No matter HOW much they TRY to claim being AMERICANS!  B)

Sepiatone

Yeah, all weekend the channel DECADES has been havin one of their "binges" of Doris' old TV show.  And slap my M O U F !------(heh....wonder why THAT got censored???)

I used to watch the show, I'll admit not religiously, but often enough, I think.  But.....

Although I must have noticed his character in the show, I wasn't AWARE at the time the actor's name was MACLEAN STEPHENSON!

I actually wasn't consciously aware of the man until M*A*S*H* hit the airwaves!  :o

It struck me then, as it still does, how good Doris looked in skin tight jeans at the age she was (mid to late 40's) when she did the show.  ;)

Anyway, happy birthday Doris.  I contend that ANYone who didn't, doesn't care about or appreciates you are probably ISIS operatives.  No matter HOW much they TRY to claim being AMERICANS!  B)

Sepiatone

I tried to watch an episode or two and had to change to something else because I just didn't like it.    For some reason the director \ producers decided to apply some really out there make-up on Doris.   It really looked like see was wearing face paint.   Just a really botched job by the make-up team.   Also I didn't find anything funny about it.    It reminded me of those later Lucy shows which were more corny than funny and the Day show wasn't even as funny as those.

APRIL IN TORONTO

It's snowing on Doris' birthday! I can't recall the last time I saw snow on her birthday.  This must be a good sign of something!

giphy_zpsuggxj2iw.gif

Another scene from On Moonlight Bay......