Hibi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS DAY!

314 posts in this topic

Hopefully, your grocery store doesn't have a security guard. He'd tell you that the magazines are for buying, not browsing.

LOL. They do, but they don't tell you to move along like yours do.........I'll probably buy it though.

Well I bought the Closer mag. It wasnt a lengthy article but they did seem to interview her (though nothing in depth) I decided to keep it. Who knows? It might be the last one she does. The one about Burt Reynolds didnt even talk to him. Some love from his college days who went to a recent book signing (LOL). I forgot to read about Meryl's early days! :D

• Like 1

The sad thing is, that looks like an old EVENING SHADE promo photo that they darkened the brows and mustache on.

Remember a few years back when he suddenly became Korean?

LOL!

I forgot to read about Meryl's early days! :D

I would've been interested to hear her stories from the Crimean War.

(I kid Meryl because someone needs to)

I would've been interested to hear her stories from the Crimean War.

(I kid Meryl because someone needs to)

LOL! I'll report back tomw. :D

I wonder what the dirt is behind Burt's last minute bowing out of the TCM Film Festival???

Turns out I'd already read the Meryl article and forgotten. (LOL) Not much to it. Only talked about her relationship with John Cazale and his tragic death.

Turns out I'd already read the Meryl article and forgotten. (LOL) Not much to it. Only talked about her relationship with John Cazale and his tragic death.

I like Meryl Streep, but seeing her again recently in Out of Africa, I had to hold my eyelids open to stay awake.  Maybe it was the ponderous plot, or the acting, I don't know.  It just didn't send me...

• Like 1

Regarding Doris Day's date of birth - It actually was not Miss Day who made the change from 1922 to 1924. When she signed her Warners contract in 1947, she was 25. The studio decided that they wanted their new player to be 23 - therefore she would be 24 in 1948 when her first film would be released, not the real 26. That seemed a tad old in those days for a new star to be starting out. Doris who didn't like confrontation or putting her studio in a bad light, went along with it and in those days it was easy enough to do. Although she'd been performing professionally for more than 7 years, her fame was not the kind that being a movie star would bring.

In 1964 a national magazine decided to feature Doris on their cover. It would be to promote the upcoming 3rd Day-Hudson film, "Send Me No Flowers", it would be to mark Day's continued reign as number one box-office star and would note her 40th birthday and how unusual it was in America at that time to have someone 40 still playing leading lady roles and having such a level of success.

While researching the piece they discovered her Baptismal records, signed by the Parish Priest in 1922, which would have been impossible had she been born in 1924. They also discovered her first grade enrollment papers ALL indicating 1922 as her date of birth. In addition, newspaper reports about her train/car accident, s couple of years prior to her first professional singing engagement, indicated the correct age (15) in 1937.  The magazine then decided to sarcastically call the story "Doris Day, 42, turns 40!" Needless to say when Marty Melcher got wind of it he and the powers to be at Universal (which was releasing "Flowers") put pressure to have the story halted, and it was.

Regarding Doris Day's date of birth - It actually was not Miss Day who made the change from 1922 to 1924. When she signed her Warners contract in 1947, she was 25. The studio decided that they wanted their new player to be 23 - therefore she would be 24 in 1948 when her first film would be released, not the real 26. That seemed a tad old in those days for a new star to be starting out. Doris who didn't like confrontation or putting her studio in a bad light, went along with it and in those days it was easy enough to do. Although she'd been performing professionally for more than 7 years, her fame was not the kind that being a movie star would bring.

In 1964 a national magazine decided to feature Doris on their cover. It would be to promote the upcoming 3rd Day-Hudson film, "Send Me No Flowers", it would be to mark Day's continued reign as number one box-office star and would note her 40th birthday and how unusual it was in America at that time to have someone 40 still playing leading lady roles and having such a level of success.

While researching the piece they discovered her Baptismal records, signed by the Parish Priest in 1922, which would have been impossible had she been born in 1924. They also discovered her first grade enrollment papers ALL indicating 1922 as her date of birth. In addition, newspaper reports about her train/car accident, s couple of years prior to her first professional singing engagement, indicated the correct age (15) in 1937.  The magazine then decided to sarcastically call the story "Doris Day, 42, turns 40!" Needless to say when Marty Melcher got wind of it he and the powers to be at Universal (which was releasing "Flowers") put pressure to have the story halted, and it was.

I don't think this sort of age modification was all that unusual in Hollywood.

• Like 1

Yeah, I recall in the mid '60's around the time THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT came out, a lot of us started(like a lot of other Americans) referring to her as "The 40 year old virgin"  In fact, when the Steve Carell movie with that title came out, I heard a lot of people joke about it possibly beiing a "Doris Day Biopic"!  This year, had she lived, my mother would be 90 years old.  Well, so would Marylin Monroe.  Chuck Berry too, if he makes it.  Since MY MOTHER was 25 when I was born(1951), take it from there---

On a similar track(and involving someone else) I remember sometime in the '70's in Hollywood gossip columnist SHIRLEY EDER's column, an item she related about CAROL CHANNING making the claim that she belonged to some obscure religion in which it was forbidden to reveal one's true age, and THAT was why she was so evasive on the subject.  :rolleyes:

Nah----I didn't buy it either!

Sepiatone

Does anybody know what has happened to Doris Day music on this site?

https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/ddmagic

I guess listening to Day music 24/7 for free was too good to be true!

Take a break from Doris and listen to some acid rock. My playlist is in the "Deadhead": thread in off-topics. Terry Melcher would have loved this playlist.

Take a break from Doris and listen to some acid rock. My playlist is in the "Deadhead": thread in off-topics. Terry Melcher would have loved this playlist.

Fra-- it's true that Terry produced Thr Byrds at Columbia Records, but that's not how he made all that money.

Terry made all that money producing Paul Revere and the Raiders. He knew that Paul Revere and the Raiders were a Good Thing. Have you got Good Thing, Kicks or Hungary on your playlist?

Fra-- it's true that Terry produced Thr Byrds at Columbia Records, but that's not how he made all that money.

Terry made all that money producing Paul Revere and the Raiders. He knew that Paul Revere and the Raiders were a Good Thing. Have you got Good Thing, Kicks or Hungary on your playlist?

I've got all three, though I've never been to Budapest.

Some interesting names for Doris Day in the early 1950's from Current Biography

"The Golden Tonsil"

"The Tomboy with the Voice"

"The Girl We Would Like to Take a Slow Boat Back to the States with"  (by soldiers in Korea)

"The Prettiest Three-Million-Dollar Corporation with Freckles in America"

daymoon_zpsm8j0bwsi.jpg

A favorite pic of Doris Day.  The first time I saw the photo I thought Doris was making a statement about the counterculture/ hippie movements in the late 1960's.  But as it turned out, the photo was taken in the early 1960's to promote the film Please Don't Eat the Daisies. So much for flower power!

flower_zpsdv0hr4yq.jpg

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/28/167820033/doris-day-a-hollywood-legend-reflects-on-life

:o

Three inches per hour?

Not a very strong wind I must say.  ;)

Barely a BREEZE!

Sepiatone