Hibi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS DAY!

314 posts in this topic

What a classy lady.

(Gordon MacRae is a Syracuse native & always gets a big hand when he first appears on screen. Same with William Lundigan)

Wow. How nice of her to respond. Someone must've told her about it. Too bad the weather didnt co-operate!

Doris Day has an audio Fall message  and 2017 calendar for her fans.  It's nice to know she is sounding well and happy. I'm sure she voted in the recent election.  I think this would have been the 18th times she voted in the general elections starting with the election of 1948!

http://www.dorisday.com/

dd167_zps4k2fljui.jpg

Closer Magazine 2016 Collector's Issue Celebrates an American Icon

available now

Geez. I hope this is still on newsstands. I havent really been looking.

With regard to the number of times Miss Day has voted in a Presidential Election, she noted in an interview with Fredda Dudley Balling a columnist from many years ago, that "The first time I voted was in the 1944 election and I proudly voted for Roosevelt......"

MYSTERY SOLVED! (Thank God) If Doris was born in 1924 then she would have not been able to vote in 1944 since she would be only 20 years old.  So she was born in 1922 and able to vote in the 1944 election at the age of 22.  Voting age at that time was 21 years old.

Of course it is possible Doris was born in 1924 and lied about her age in 1939 so that she could sing in clubs (according to Closer magazine: Doris Day celebrating an American Icon 2016).  In which case, there would be voter fraud if Doris voted in 1944 at the actual age of 20.  FDR would not be impressed.

However, the Baptismal Records for the Catholic Church in which she was baptized, indicate her Baptism as happening in 1922 along with scores of others Baptized that year. It would have been impossible to Baptize a baby not yet born or to go back and insert a name years after the fact. It was Warner Brothers who changed the date of birth in 1947 after she signed with them. There are Memos from the Publicity Department noting this. They did not want their new starlet being 25 years of age. As with many other stars (June Allyson, Irene Dunne, Claudette Colbert, etc.) facts were conveniently changed to benefit the marketing of new personalities. One Memo even notes the studio's concern about Miss Day having been married twice and having a five year old son at the time. One individual "suggested"  we make her a war widow, left with a young son. It was easier in those days to conceal facts even though, in 1947, Miss Day had already been performing professionally for 8 years. Newspaper stories regarding her 1937 auto accident in which the car she was riding in was struck by a train, note her age as 15 and this was two years prior to her first professional singing gig. When she entered First Grade, the school records also indicate her being born in 1922.

So why does Doris keep insisting she was born in 1924? I think she did approve Closer magazine's collector edition about her and could have easily corrected the information about her birth year.

In that Closer Collectors Edition I counted 32 incorrect pieces of information and was barely half way through. The date will NEVER be corrected. In 1964 Time Magazine planned to do a cover story about the, then, number one box-office attraction in films turning 40. While researching the story they came upon school records and other information that clearly indicated the 1922 date. Someone at the magazine jokingly suggested they title the piece, "Doris Day, 42 turns 40!". Marty Melcher put the kibosh on the piece and it never saw the light of "Day" (pun intended). While the reality that she's alive and fairly healthy and about to turn 95 would be something very admirable, it won't happen. Once Warner Brothers cast the 1924 date in stone - that was it. That became the reality. She's an extremely nice person who is extremely sensitive about the two year difference and so it has remained. Her late son Terry tried to get her to acknowledge the correct date with no success. It is the one area in which she is immovable. Because she led a very low-key life by Hollywood standards, writers that knew the truth like Bob Thomas, Vernon Scott and others, allowed the 1924 date to go unquestioned. Decades ago when classmates were interviewed for various stories, they were all about 2 years older than their classmate, Doris, until Marty began to make sure that ages were never a part of such recollections.

Ok, thanks for all that info.  I have always wondered why Doris did not make the cover of Time considering Shirley MacLaine , Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly (as an actress), Audrey Hepburn,  and Julie Andrews had. (just to name a few).  That's too bad.  Good to know Doris will be turning 95 next year! (and Terry would have turned 75 years old in February of next year.)

doris_zpshgsucvgm.jpg

dd17_zpsh2il8pxt.jpg

Here is the actual clipping about Doris' accident that happened on October 13, 1937.  I remember reading somewhere that it occurred on Friday the 13th.  This is false: October 13, 1937 was on a Wednesday.  Note the age in the clipping.  Age 16 in 1937 is much closer to her actual birth year 1922 than the one Doris prefers which is 1924.

(meanwhile Storm Doris happening in the UK)  #StormDoris

calam_zpsjtv0zgi9.jpg

So why does Doris keep insisting she was born in 1924? I think she did approve Closer magazine's collector edition about her and could have easily corrected the information about her birth year.

Maybe she should also revert back to Kappelhoff too while she's at it ?? If you want all "real" information.

Its her age, she can claim anything she wants. I'm just happy she seems to be doing well after all the stress she had to go through post career. 

Do you know IMDB.Com is being sued by actresses because they list real ages ?? And they feel they are losing work because of it.

On  a similar tack, I remember some time ago in Shirley Eder's column, she reported that "actress" CAROL CHANNING  claimed to belong to some obscure religious order in which it's prohibited for women to divulge their real age, so she was forbidden for religious reasons to give that answer when Eder asked about her age.  :wacko:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Maybe she should also revert back to Kappelhoff too while she's at it ?? If you want all "real" information.

Its her age, she can claim anything she wants. I'm just happy she seems to be doing well after all the stress she had to go through post career. 

Do you know IMDB.Com is being sued by actresses because they list real ages ?? And they feel they are losing work because of it.

You lose work by how old you look, not how old you are.

Who really cares??? So she's 2 years older than her "official" birth date.......

It matters because I'm sure fans would like to give Doris a big celebration to mark her 95th birthday this year (a major milestone). But most likely this major celebration won't occur until 2019. Her choice.

party_zpsjzo21za0.jpg

Doris' birthday party in 2014

Who really cares??? So she's 2 years older than her "official" birth date.......

Well either Day or someone in her camp (e.g. her agent),  cared.

But yea,  I don't.  

It's 100% her choice....she can be any age she desires to be. A real fan would celebrate every birthday, regardless of the number....

• Like 1

It matters because I'm sure fans would like to give Doris a big celebration to mark her 95th birthday this year (a major milestone). But most likely this major celebration won't occur until 2019. Her choice.

party_zpsjzo21za0.jpg

Doris' birthday party in 2014

Well,she certainly isnt going to change her birthdate after all this time and I dont blame her. I could see if she was claiming to be 10 years younger.....

You lose work by how old you look, not how old you are.

Not true. Another group is comedy writers. They also have to lie about their age because producers and directors sometimes don't think a 45 year old can write jokes for twenty-somethings. Nothing in the movie business is real. In front of or behind the camera.

• Like 1

Not true. Another group is comedy writers. They also have to lie about their age because producers and directors sometimes don't think a 45 year old can write jokes for twenty-somethings. Nothing in the movie business is real. In front of or behind the camera.

A script calls for a vixen who is 40 years old. One candidate is 50 who looks 40. Another candidate is 40 and looks 50. You are telling me that the latter is more likely to get the role?

Considering they are using the word "vixen" I suppose the script was written in 1940.

LOL.