Hibi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS DAY!

314 posts in this topic

i like to imagine that Doris was good friends with Loretta Young and, at some point during the frozen yogurt craze, went to a TCBY, just so I could say that at some point in time "DODO AND LOYO WENT AND GET FROYO, BECAUSE YOLO."

You can use that as a tantric chant if you like.

I watched a few episodes of the Doris Day Show, and was not overly impressed. I saw the two-parter with Lew Ayres as a reclusive billionaire.

Hibi, was it something we said?

LOL. No. I'm not usually on the boards on the wknds........

doris-day-435_zps5izjglzu.jpg

Doris Day in 2016

Have a Happy Birthday!

Wow. She looks great!

I watched a few episodes of the Doris Day Show, and was not overly impressed. I saw the two-parter with Lew Ayres as a reclusive billionaire.

I caught a few episodes here and there. Some better than others. On the whole the show was just average for its time. Nothing really great, but I enjoyed the clothes and some of her guest stars....

Odd, TCM didnt do any tribute yesterday. I noticed they did show Send Me No Flowers. Not sure if anything was said as I didnt watch it............

• Like 1

She never wanted to do the TV Show.

I distinctly recall her eventual ex-husband spent all her money and then somehow obligated her to do it and took the advance and she ended up having to.

(or something along those lines.)

EDIT, HERE ARE THE DETAILS COPIED FROM WIKIPEDIA:

Bankruptcy and television career

When her third husband Martin Melcher died on April 20, 1968, a shocked Day discovered that Melcher and his business partner Jerome Bernard Rosenthal had squandered her earnings,[Note 2] leaving her deeply in debt.[54] Rosenthal had been her attorney since 1949, when he represented her in her uncontested divorce action against her second husband, saxophonist George W. Weidler. In February 1969, Day filed suit against Rosenthal and won the then-largest civil judgment (over $20 million) in the state of California. (She later settled for about one-quarter of the amount originally awarded.)[55]

Day also learned that Melcher had committed her to a television series, which became The Doris Day Show.

"It was awful", Day told
in 1996. "I was really, really not very well when Marty [Melcher] passed away, and the thought of going into TV was overpowering. But he'd signed me up for a series. And then my son Terry [Melcher] took me walking in
and explained that it wasn't nearly the end of it. I had also been signed up for a bunch of
, all without anyone ever asking me."

Day hated the idea of performing on television, but felt obliged to it.[52] "There was a contract. I didn't know about it. I never wanted to do TV, but I gave it 100 percent anyway. That's the only way I know how to do it."[citation needed] The first episode of The Doris Day Show aired on September 24, 1968,[56] and, from 1968 to 1973, employed "Que Sera, Sera" as its theme song. Day grudgingly persevered (she needed the work to help pay off her debts), but only after CBS ceded creative control to her and her son. The successful show enjoyed a five-year run,[57] and functioned as a curtain-raiser for the popular Carol Burnett Show. It is remembered today for its abrupt season-to-season changes in casting and premise. It was not widely syndicated as many of its contemporaries were, and was re-broadcast very little outside the United States, Australia and the UK.[58] By the end of its run in 1973, public tastes had changed and her firmly established persona was regarded as passé. She largely retired from acting after The Doris Day Show, but did complete two television specials, The Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff Special (1971) and Doris Day to Day (1975). She appeared in a John Denver TV special in 1974.[51]

In the 1985–86 season, Day hosted her own television talk show, Doris Day's Best Friends, on CBN.[57][59] The network canceled the show after 26 episodes, despite the worldwide publicity it received.

Yes, that was the story in her autobiography, but in a recent bio (about 5 years ago), the author said Doris was aware of the deal (maybe not aware of the sappy premise). So I don't know what to believe now. She did try to make the show better, but it never quite got to top level. (there'd be cast changes constantly, I think even the kids were dropped eventually).....

Yes, that was the story in her autobiography, but in a recent bio (about 5 years ago), the author said Doris was aware of the deal (maybe not aware of the sappy premise). So I don't know what to believe now. She did try to make the show better, but it never quite got to top level. (there'd be cast changes constantly, I think even the kids were dropped eventually).....

OMG.

YOU'RE SAYING DORIS DAY LIED?!?!

I think you just made Jesus cry.

• Like 2

OMG.

I have been waiting for someone to bring this up, but it hasn't.  Doris Day and Kirk Douglas HATED working together on Young Man With a Horn.

Day said that it  was the most unpleasant filming experience she ever had.

He in turn said that he didn't trust anyone who was always smiling and that there must be something phony in it.

My guess is that they are both right.

A lot of people are put off by the intensity of Kirk.

But there is also the sense of THE SHOW MUST GO ON. 

Day was a star who smiled a lot.  She wasn't paid to let her pain of her private life show up in comedies.  And her character is in love with Kirk in that movie.

OMG.

LOL.  Maybe she just doesn't remember that period too well. Her husband just died and she admits she wasn't "well" for a long time after that.

And the author didn't quote his source for that info. So maybe she ISNT LYING. (LOL)

I remember Doris being more diplomatic in her memoirs, saying Kirk was one of her few co-stars that she didn't get to know well. He was "distant" etc......

• Like 1

I remember Doris being more diplomatic in her memoirs, saying Kirk was one of her few co-stars that she didn't get to know well. He was "distant" etc......

This was in a book of quotes people had made to the press about other famous people.

I was not talking about her memoirs.

I happen to be a fan of both of them.

I caught a few episodes here and there. Some better than others. On the whole the show was just average for its time. Nothing really great, but I enjoyed the clothes and some of her guest stars....

Odd, TCM didnt do any tribute yesterday. I noticed they did show Send Me No Flowers. Not sure if anything was said as I didnt watch it............

I saw Ben's intro. I don't believe he mentioned that it was Doris' birthday.

Filming Young Man with a Horn was a bad experience for Doris because it brought back bad memories of her abusive first husband and stressful big band travelling years without son Terry.

• Like 2

I saw Ben's intro. I don't believe he mentioned that it was Doris' birthday.

SHEESH. Major gaffe/snafu.

And the author didn't quote his source for that info. So maybe she ISNT LYING. (LOL)

Or Perhaps it is but one mendacious thread in a wide-spanning Web of Lies that Doris Day, aka "Clara Bixby" the greatest criminal mastermind of the 20th century, has woven in her lying, lie-filled, BIG FAT LIE of a life.

• Like 1

Or Perhaps it is but one mendacious thread in a wide-spanning Web of Lies that Doris Day, aka "Clara Bixby" the greatest criminal mastermind of the 20th century, has woven in her lying, lie-filled, BIG FAT LIE of a life.

LOL. I doubt it...........

Wow those pictures of her DO look great! She certainly aged well despite her rough early years. That close-up shows very little wrinkling despite the California sun.

Is that a photo of Ron Reagan in the backround?

Wow those pictures of her DO look great! She certainly aged well despite her rough early years. That close-up shows very little wrinkling despite the California sun.

Is that a photo of Ron Reagan in the backround?

LOL. Good eye. I hadnt noticed that, but it is!

Yeah, Doris is a big Republican as I understand it.

She really took a shine whilst working with Reagan on the anti-Klan movie they did in 1951(?) (I can never remember the title of it, but it's an interesting film in many ways), and became a lifelong admirer/supporter (and, in the early days, possible LOVAH?) of his.

She won a Presidential Medal of Freedom ca. 2004 and declined to attend the presentation ceremony, but made it a point to call W. personally and let him know it was not out of protest, she was all for him, but more because she was afraid of traveling (her son may have also died around this time.)

She really took a shine whilst working with Reagan on the anti-Klan movie they did in 1951(?) (I can never remember the title of it, but it's an interesting film in many ways), and became a lifelong admirer/supporter (and, in the early days, possible LOVAH?) of his.

She won a Presidential Medal of Freedom ca. 2004 and declined to attend the presentation ceremony, but made it a point to call W. personally and let him know it was not out of protest, she was all for him, but more because she was afraid of traveling (her son may have also died around this time.)

She and Reagan dated for awhile (pre-Nancy). (she mentioned in her book). Doris wont appear anywhere. Her surprise birthday appearance 2 years ago was the first time in eons she's appeared in public. One of the reasons she hasnt been given an honorary Oscar or a Kennedy Award as she wont show up to receive it (although Godard wouldnt show up for his Oscar a few years ago, they still gave it to him!).....I think the Academy was miffed by the Facebook campaign for Doris to receive an honorary Oscar some years ago, so the chances of her receiving one are probably zero. Not that she cares, apparently.....

• Like 2

I think it was Storm Warning. Not to portray Doris as some right winger, she did make some statements not too long ago in support of some gay organization (I forget now what it was), so she seems pretty open minded...

• Like 1